post #1 of 7 Old 05-09-2019, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Soundbar recommendations

Hi,

I am getting married and am getting a lucky gift from my future in-laws - a sound bar! Our current set up includes a 2 channel system B&W 7SE CDM, Arcam A85/P85 with old Music Fidelity DAC and SVS 12' subwoofer.

The inlaws suggested the new B&W Formation 2 bar, which looks great but has not been tested. It also uses a proprietary protocol and will not integrate into the existing subwoofer, for bass effect will require an external sub.

The requirements are: for movies first as I already have a 2 channel solution, something that support HDMI ARC as I use Prime/Netflix as primary sources out of my LG SmartTV. Not sure how much difference it makes, but something with newer codec like DD Plus would be nice

The options I am looking at:

1. Sonus Playbar - this is readily available and if we can get the one speakers can create a nice surround solution that when not using for movie can go into the 2 bedroom as a modular system. The drawback is that I would not be able to use the separate subwoofer and would require the expensive other woofer.

2. Paradigm PW Soundbar - this covers a lot of basis feature wise, and also supports existing hard wired subwoofers. I have not seen a lot of reviews for this, the ones I have seen are mixed so not sure.

3. Nakamichi Shockwave - this is good value and comes with a lot of speakers, but it feels like if going that route might as well go down the receiver and 5.1 route instead of that.

Any other options or suggestions?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-09-2019, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I really like the Samsung HW-MS750. Being cleared out at BestBuy for about $480. Good bass and clear treble.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-09-2019, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by pred02 View Post
Hi,

I am getting married and am getting a lucky gift from my future in-laws - a sound bar! Our current set up includes a 2 channel system B&W 7SE CDM, Arcam A85/P85 with old Music Fidelity DAC and SVS 12' subwoofer.

The inlaws suggested the new B&W Formation 2 bar, which looks great but has not been tested. It also uses a proprietary protocol and will not integrate into the existing subwoofer, for bass effect will require an external sub.

The requirements are: for movies first as I already have a 2 channel solution, something that support HDMI ARC as I use Prime/Netflix as primary sources out of my LG SmartTV. Not sure how much difference it makes, but something with newer codec like DD Plus would be nice

1. Sonus Playbar - this is readily available and if we can get the one speakers can create a nice surround solution that when not using for movie can go into the 2 bedroom as a modular system. The drawback is that I would not be able to use the separate subwoofer and would require the expensive other woofer.

2. Paradigm PW Soundbar - this covers a lot of basis feature wise, and also supports existing hard wired subwoofers. I have not seen a lot of reviews for this, the ones I have seen are mixed so not sure.

3. Nakamichi Shockwave - this is good value and comes with a lot of speakers, but it feels like if going that route might as well go down the receiver and 5.1 route instead of that.

Thanks,
I had the old Nakamichi 7.1 soundbar, and wasn't a big fan. To my in my bedroom 4 or 5 feet from it, it just didn't have much volume at least to me. I was normally running it at 75% or 80% of max for regular tv watching and it wasn't what I would consider loud, I used an SPL app and it was peaking in the mid 80db range. I swapped to the Polk Magnifi Max with wireless surrounds and like it MUCH better. I run it about about %30 to %40 max volume and get the same perceived volume as the Nak, and as a bonus, even though the bar is smaller, top to bottom, it has MUCh better midrange than the Nak ever had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-09-2019, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There is also the Naim Mu-So2 but its expensive and apparently not great as a movie soundbar.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-09-2019, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I would suggest the Vizio SB 3651. It has HDMI ARC, and DD+ (over HDMI) support. It's a 5.1 system that you can get for about $200. It doesn't support 4K passthrough, or lossless audio decoding (only DD, DD+, DTS), but it sounds great for the price.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-09-2019, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pred02 View Post
Hi,

Thanks,
We recently upgraded from a HEOS soundbar + sub + HS3's to the formation bar and it has been a noticeably difference in clarity. The mids aren't as boomy (can be good/bad depending on preference), but the high end is almost as clear as our 702 s2s (probably closer to the 703 s2s). It supports airplay2, so if you have apple devices you can cast to it to create that multi-room setup. One drawback is that it only supports optical-in, but I think most newer TVs have optical out, so you could use your TV as the converter for HDMI-based sources.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-13-2019, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post
I really like the Samsung HW-MS750. Being cleared out at BestBuy for about $480. Good bass and clear treble.

I picked this up almost 2 years ago along with the Samsung’s SWA-W700 sub and then added on the associated rear surround speakers. Still really love the sound this bar produces especially watching BR movies but believe me it cranks the tunes as well! The price referenced here is also awesome but you definitely have a ton of options to choose from.

Here are a few comments from Mark Henninger's review August 2017, enjoy your evaluations but I am still very very pleased with this unit.

This model incorporates a total of 11 drivers, each with its own amp. Bass comes from an array of six mid-woofers that complement five wideband tweeters, two of which face upward. Frequency response for the HW-MS750 is specified from 35 Hz to 20 kHz without the optional subwoofer.
The HW-MS750 offers plenty of connectivity options. It supports the ubiquitous TosLink (optical digital) connection that’s popular for connecting TVs to soundbars. It’s also able to receive sound from your TV using an ARC-compatible HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 output. Plus, this soundbar provides two HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 inputs, with full support for HDR and up to 60 Hz 4:2:0 or 30 Hz 4:4:4 4K video.

It’s designed to work on its own or in conjunction with optional accessories that expand its capabilities. For example, you can add Samsung’s SWA-9000S wireless surround speakers ($180/pair) to the MS750 for an enveloping surround-sound experience. And of course, it also works with the SWA-W700 wireless subwoofer.
Samsung’s HW-MS750 decodes Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM, and a variety of audio-only formats: AAC, AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, MP3, OGG, WAV, and WMA.
Playing UHD Blu-rays of various movies using the DTS-HD Master Audio multichannel soundtrack (unprocessed bitstream) worked fine. Similarly, converting that audio to PCM in the player still worked perfectly—no missing dialog or other odd behavior.
This is a large soundbar designed to go with big-screen TVs. The HW-MS750 weighs 13.88 pounds and measures 45.28″ W x 3.07″ H x 5.14″ D. The chassis and grill have an understated, sophisticated, modern minimalist look with a logo-free black metal mesh grill that covers the entire front and top of the unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page