New 2019 LG SL10Y Review/Impressions? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #31 of 58 Old 07-13-2019, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just ordered a SL10YG (comes with subwoofer) and the SPK8 too. Should be here this week. I have an LG C8 and an AppleTV 4K. I want to be able to hook up the AppleTV 4K to the soundbar and pass through Atmos and Dolby Vision but it sounds like this might not happen. Does the soundbar just pass HDR only and not DV. I'm assuming I can't pass Atmos signal from the C8 to the soundbar either? Anyone know if that's possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 07-15-2019, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hey there, has anyone tried the SL8YG i havent seen any professional reviews, and basicly all i have are opiniones from buyers at Best Buy.

LG B6, LG SJ8, H7, H4s & GTX 1060

Last edited by posadajulian; 07-15-2019 at 07:46 AM.
post #33 of 58 Old 07-16-2019, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I see everyone connecting their Xbox and Apple TV directly to the SB. Is there a reason why one wouldn't want to keep those plugged into the TV, so that the TV does the input switching?

What are the pros and cons of plugging your peripherals into the TV vs the SB?

-Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 58 Old 07-16-2019, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
New 2019 LG SL10Y Review/Impressions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_vag View Post
I see everyone connecting their Xbox and Apple TV directly to the SB. Is there a reason why one wouldn't want to keep those plugged into the TV, so that the TV does the input switching?

What are the pros and cons of plugging your peripherals into the TV vs the SB?

-Martin

By plugging the devices directly into the SB, you let the SB to the decoding of Audi/video passthrough. It basically acts like a receiver since most tv’s won’t be able to decode newer Audi mixes like Dolby Atmos. Unless the tv is fairly new, then it will likely pass Dolby Atmos as well as Dolby Vision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #35 of 58 Old 07-16-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sina Moghbel View Post
By plugging the devices directly into the SB, you let the SB to the decoding of Audi/video passthrough. It basically acts like a receiver since most tv’s won’t be able to decode newer Audi mixes like Dolby Atmos. Unless the tv is fairly new, then it will likely pass Dolby Atmos as well as Dolby Vision.

Oops. I should've mentioned my TV - it's LG OLED65E7P. Sounds either way, the functionality will be same either way in that inputs will change and sound will come out of the soundbar, my wife won't know any difference, but I'll know that some content will not be decoded as well.
post #36 of 58 Old 07-16-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Oops. I should've mentioned my TV - it's LG OLED65E7P. Sounds either way, the functionality will be same either way in that inputs will change and sound will come out of the soundbar, my wife won't know any difference, but I'll know that some content will not be decoded as well.

Your TV should be able to decode Dolby Atmos, I’m not 100% sure about that though. Just prioritize what you’d like to hear as audio from the sound bar i.e 4K Blu-ray player and or ATV4K or equivalent media player.

post #37 of 58 Old 07-17-2019, 05:31 AM

Just a quick update. Got the system setup and it's brilliant especially with the rears. Have inputs connected to my LG C8 and then HDMI ARC to the LG SL10Y. It passes Dolby Atmos and whatever perfectly fine but this let's me have Dolby Vision too. Setup working great.

---
LG 65" C8 | LG SL10YG + SPK8S
post #38 of 58 Old 07-17-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPDreamer View Post
Just a quick update. Got the system setup and it's brilliant especially with the rears. Have inputs connected to my LG C8 and then HDMI ARC to the LG SL10Y. It passes Dolby Atmos and whatever perfectly fine but this let's me have Dolby Vision too. Setup working great.
Did you have to configure the LG TV Remote at all to control the SB volume? How's the SB automatic power on/off?
post #39 of 58 Old 07-18-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Did you have to configure the LG TV Remote at all to control the SB volume? How's the SB automatic power on/off?
I use a Harmony remote but the LG TV remote works fine with the SB too. When you plugin I used the input config on TV to tell it it was an LG soundbar and it's been working perfectly. Auto on/off works great too. TV turns on the soundbar and sets to ARC by itself. No issues so far.

---
post #40 of 58 Old 07-19-2019, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I use a Harmony remote but the LG TV remote works fine with the SB too. When you plugin I used the input config on TV to tell it it was an LG soundbar and it's been working perfectly. Auto on/off works great too. TV turns on the soundbar and sets to ARC by itself. No issues so far.
Does the C8 use eARC? AFAIK you need that to pass Atmos over ARC. My TCL TV doesn't have it, so the only way is to plug the ATV into the soundbar directly, which then means I have to set DV to 30fps in order for it to pass.

FWIW I just bought a HDFury Vertex2 which should help with this -- it will separate audio and video into two HDMI outs; will report back.
post #41 of 58 Old 07-20-2019, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 410
What’s the bass frequency range of the subwoofer?
post #42 of 58 Old 07-21-2019, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Any comparison with Nackamichi 7.1? SL10Y and Nakamichi both are CES-2019 winners. Which one is better?
post #43 of 58 Old 07-23-2019, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Did anyone channels test with Test Tones to reveal how do they work? Is it stereo up-scale or true 7.1 sound?
I guess, dts-trailers and dolby-trailers from thedigitaltheater dot com might help to test how do the channels work.
post #44 of 58 Old 07-25-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsea View Post
Did anyone channels test with Test Tones to reveal how do they work? Is it stereo up-scale or true 7.1 sound?
I guess, dts-trailers and dolby-trailers from thedigitaltheater dot com might help to test how do the channels work.
It's true 5.1 and then 7.1 if you add rear speakers like I did.

---
post #45 of 58 Old 07-25-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsea View Post
Just to be clear, by default if Surround mode is off it'll respect the source material so it'll use only 3.1 for any regular stereo source but 5.1/7.1 for DD, Dolby Atmos, DTS, etc. If you turn Surround On it will do basically multichannel stereo for any 2-channel sources as well. Personally I leave surround on because I like the effect and DD, DA, DTS, etc. sources will override that setting anyway but it's handy when watching regular stereo sources like cable TV for example.

I've had this thing for a few weeks now and I'm seriously in love. I've rewatched so many of my favorite movies recently just for the Dolby Atmos sound. Family loves it too.

---
post #46 of 58 Old 07-29-2019, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by patters000 View Post
Does the C8 use eARC? AFAIK you need that to pass Atmos over ARC. My TCL TV doesn't have it, so the only way is to plug the ATV into the soundbar directly, which then means I have to set DV to 30fps in order for it to pass.

FWIW I just bought a HDFury Vertex2 which should help with this -- it will separate audio and video into two HDMI outs; will report back.
I have the C9. ATV4k plugged directly in to the C9 and SL10Y plugged into HDMI 3 ARC. It recieves atmos and says atmos on it (although the SL10Y does not support eARC).

Not sure how / why this works. Perhaps its a downsampled mix?

Edit: Found the answer.

Basically Netflix and Prime atmos audio is DD+ downsampled atmos. So this will pass via ARC completely fine. Where it won't work is with native atmos content (perhaps a 4k bluray player?) which will require eARC / HDMI 2.1 on both TV and receiver to do.

Edit2: Better explanation from reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/commen..._through_from/

*How can Atmos work miraculously with ARC and not eARC only?** LG somehow managed to transmit lossy Atmos through the HDMI ARC via a Dolby Digital Plus codec, which is received and decoded as a normal Atmos signal by the receiver.

**Is the lossy format still enjoyable?** Short answer is yes. Sounds ok even with a dedicated Atmos system (mine is 5.1.4) as Atmos channels are usually of low complexity and preferentially in the background of the soundstage. Hence, compression artifacts are not highlighted.

In other words Apple TV directly into TV is completely fine and will pass through all audio. It's only if you have some type of native atmos content you'll need to plug it into the soundbar itself.
patters000 likes this.

Last edited by Lammiwinks; 07-29-2019 at 11:32 PM.
post #47 of 58 Old 08-04-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammiwinks View Post
I have the C9. ATV4k plugged directly in to the C9 and SL10Y plugged into HDMI 3 ARC. It recieves atmos and says atmos on it (although the SL10Y does not support eARC).

Not sure how / why this works. Perhaps its a downsampled mix?

Edit: Found the answer.

Basically Netflix and Prime atmos audio is DD+ downsampled atmos. So this will pass via ARC completely fine. Where it won't work is with native atmos content (perhaps a 4k bluray player?) which will require eARC / HDMI 2.1 on both TV and receiver to do.

Edit2: Better explanation from reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/commen..._through_from/

*How can Atmos work miraculously with ARC and not eARC only?** LG somehow managed to transmit lossy Atmos through the HDMI ARC via a Dolby Digital Plus codec, which is received and decoded as a normal Atmos signal by the receiver.

**Is the lossy format still enjoyable?** Short answer is yes. Sounds ok even with a dedicated Atmos system (mine is 5.1.4) as Atmos channels are usually of low complexity and preferentially in the background of the soundstage. Hence, compression artifacts are not highlighted.

In other words Apple TV directly into TV is completely fine and will pass through all audio. It's only if you have some type of native atmos content you'll need to plug it into the soundbar itself.
You have the same exact setup as me except that I have a C8. It works great with Dolby Atmos and other sources so far and haven't had any issues. It may be lossy Atmos but honestly it sounds so much better than regular Dolby Digital 5.1 that I'm very happy.

Do you have a UHD BR player? I don't have one but was wondering what would happen if you plugged it into the TV and if it would pass Dolby Atmos to the soundbar or you have to plug it in directly to the soundbar. For me the main reason I didn't plug directly into the soundbar is it doesn't pass Dolby Vision which I watch a lot of.

Also I usually leave the soundbar setting on ASC (auto) but for music, changing the setting to music makes a huge difference and music sounds a million times better.

---
post #48 of 58 Old 08-04-2019, 06:43 AM

Any SL10YG owner figure out a way to test DTS:X source? I can't find anything online that is DTS:X encoded even if it's lossy. Curious because that was one of the features the SL10 has that the SK10 didn't so wanted to hear what it sounds like.

---
post #49 of 58 Old 08-08-2019, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Red face How does it sounds when compared to LG sk10y

Hi talkshowchris,
I have seen some comments on the LG sk10y forum and found it quite useful. I just wanted to check if it really sounds better in anyway than LG sk10y or is it just (LG sk10y+ DTS-x) soudnbar now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkshowchris View Post
My review of the LG SL10Y

I brought this as a replacement for a Samsung N950, which I had returned due to a fault.
The first thing I noticed is how much neater it is than the N950. The bar is so thin that it will fit beneath most TVs. Other cinematic soundbars have the issue of being too high and obscuring the screen, resulting in the need to elevate the TV (perhaps against the will of the customer).
The length of the Sl10yg is also striking, it's the longest soundbar available.

I also purchased the SPK-8s rear speakers to give me the full 7.1.2 setup that I desired. These were very easy to set up and the speakers are much easier to mount on stands than those of the N950 (who's speakers are huge and heavy, too much so for many stands I've seen).

The ease of setup was exactly what I'd want from a soundbar, but I was still impressed with the fact that I was speaking to Google Assistant on the sl10yg within minutes of setup.

The sound quality is excellent. The sound field is wide and clear, with height effects that will not disappoint. Atmos and DTSX sources are superb and certainly better than the N950 (the bass seems more balanced overall on all surround sound source&#115. One feature that is not advertised on the box or website is that the sl10yg does DTS Neuralx, which is an excellent 7.1.2 upmixer developed by DTS. It has been amazing for use on my existing blu Ray collection, transforming them into more immersive experiences.

Control over each individual speaker is also better than similar Atmos and DTSX soundbars, allowing for at least a little bit of personalisation to environments or preferences.

I would say this is the best soundbar I've ever owned. Previously I've owned: Sony HT5000, Sony z9f, Samsung k950, LG Sk10y and Samsung N950.
post #50 of 58 Old 08-09-2019, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 199
anyone know how to check for a firmware update on this thing?

LG OLED65C9P / LG SL10YGLG+SPK8-S / OLED65C7P / LG UP970 / Oppo UDP-203 / Sony HT-Z9F+SA-Z9R / Apple TV 4K / Fire TV Stick 4K / TCL 55P605
post #51 of 58 Old 08-09-2019, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Via the Google Home app or the LG Wi-Fi Speaker app.

There was one update recently but that was just a test from LG to see if the update process works.
post #52 of 58 Old 08-09-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonerdude70 View Post
Via the Google Home app or the LG Wi-Fi Speaker app.

There was one update recently but that was just a test from LG to see if the update process works.
Thanks, I'm using both and don't see where you can check for updates. On the LG Speaker app there is only information on your current software version, no option to check for updates. Unless I'm missing something.

LG OLED65C9P / LG SL10YGLG+SPK8-S / OLED65C7P / LG UP970 / Oppo UDP-203 / Sony HT-Z9F+SA-Z9R / Apple TV 4K / Fire TV Stick 4K / TCL 55P605

Last edited by akadennis; 08-10-2019 at 02:14 AM.
post #53 of 58 Old 08-14-2019, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased the SL10YG to pair with my C9 and I have wired rear speakers in my ceiling. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can utilize them?
post #54 of 58 Old 08-17-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
For the life of me I don't understand why LG doesn't use bigger drivers like Samsung has been doing for the past few years now...

Shopping List:
TV: Samsung Q90R, or LG C9, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Sony X800M, or Pioneer Elite LX500
Soundbar: Samsung Q90R, or Sennheiser Ambeo, or...
AVR and Speakers: Marantz 8012, or... and GE Triton Reference, or...
post #55 of 58 Old 08-20-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This new soundbar isn't compatible with the LG rear speaker set...?

Shopping List:
post #56 of 58 Old 08-20-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
This new soundbar isn't compatible with the LG rear speaker set...?

It is, if it finishes in Y it means it works with the rear speakers.

post #57 of 58 Old 08-20-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ah... it is now called the LG SPK8-S 2.0...

So I take it the 2.0 version works with the new soundbars.

Thanks!

Shopping List:
post #58 of 58 Old 08-20-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Ah... it is now called the LG SPK8-S 2.0...

So I take it the 2.0 version works with the new soundbars.

Thanks!

Yes those are the rear speakers but they only work with soundbars that finish in Y, like SL8Y, SL9Y or SL10Y

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page