New 2019 LG SL10Y Review/Impressions? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 05-10-2019, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New 2019 LG SL10Y Review/Impressions?

I remember sort-of liking but not FULLY liking last years LG SK10Y, I was wondering if anyone could shed light on this years iteration. Same? Better? Meh? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 05-10-2019, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

So far, all I can find is Mr. Dave thinks it's "loud" (but 5 stars) from the sole Best Buy review. Lol. I could think of worse things to be said.
post #3 of 39 Old 05-13-2019, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdaygo View Post
So far, all I can find is Mr. Dave thinks it's "loud" (but 5 stars) from the sole Best Buy review. Lol. I could think of worse things to be said.
I purchased this bar on Saturday. I'm still checking it out, but so far I like it. The only thing I had to compare it to was a older Polk 3.1 bar that had the center channel for voice.

So far I like this bar, it doesn't over power you it just sounds smooth. I had an issue with connecting my blu ray player but a couple of high speed HDMI cables solved that problem. The vocals are clear and the effects are great.

I also picked up the rear speaker kit for the bar but I haven't installed them yet. Probably today or tomorrow.

I just finished setting up the blu ray to output Dolby Atmos and I hope to see how that sounds today.

I'll update as I go along.

Frank
nclee likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 05-16-2019, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Does it pass 4k at 60hz? Last year's only did 30hz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 65 B7A
post #5 of 39 Old 05-17-2019, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question

I have a setup, but I can't figure out the correct way to set it up for the love of me. So:
TV: LG OLED B7
Console: PS4 Pro
Soundbar: LG SK10Y (pls no hate bc of soundbar)
I'm trying to get the most out of this setup, but something's ALWAYS missing no matter how I set it up.

Missing Surround Sound: Originally I connected the PS4 to the TV via HDMI, and the bar to the TV via HDMI ARC. This allowed me to choose everything (including 4K RGB) in the outputs menu in the PS4, however, I didn't get surround sound passed to the bar (I chose Linear PCM and HDMI OUT, but pressing X again didn't bring up the submenu of choosing between 7.1 and 5.1, so I guess it'snot getting surround sound)
Missing RGB: So then I reconnected the PS4 directly into the soundbar, this way I got surround sound (I was able to switch between 5.1/7.1 in the PS4 sound output menu) and the bar forwarded the image to the TV via ARC, causing it to lose the option of displaying !K with RGB (instead it downgraded to YUV 420).
Missing everything: So I thought to myself - the limitation is the ARC, so why don't I buy an HDMI splitter? So I did (it has a little power cordand everything, supposed to be able to handle 4K HDR with Dolby Atmos and all that), and to my wonder, connecting the PS4 out to the splitter-in and the splitter-out to the TV and the soundbar via HDMI (thus eliminating ARC), I ended up not having neither the RGB OR the surround sound.

Why is this? How can I set this up in a way where I get the Linear PCM surround sound to the soundbar while also keeping the ability to display 4K in RGB (not having to downgrade to YUV420)?
post #6 of 39 Old 05-20-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingerson View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the specs it states that the HDMI output will support "[email protected]/50hz:4:2:0" Hope this helps.
post #7 of 39 Old 06-06-2019, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Any more impressions from owners?
How's the suround speakers?
Dolby Atmos works over eArc?

I have the new LG OLED 65C9, which has HDMI 2.1, but this soundboard doesn't have it right?
Is it even necessary as long as eArc works?
post #8 of 39 Old 06-07-2019, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordvarg View Post

I have the new LG OLED 65C9, which has HDMI 2.1, but this soundboard doesn't have it right?

I got mine a few days ago. It says nothing about eARC in the specs, and on the LG forum, I saw posts from Support that it will not be supported. Who knows if at some point they do include it with a firmware update, but don't hold your breath.

Atmos does work over ARC, albeit using DD Plus so it's not true Atmos. Still, I tried it using the Vudu app on my Sony X900E and it sounded fantastic. I'm not much of an audio buff so I can't compare it well, but I replaced a Yahama YAS-207 (awesome for the price) and this sound much punchier.

I have an XB1X that I need to move downstairs, so hopefully this weekend I'll be able to try out true Atmos via a direct HDMI connection.
post #9 of 39 Old 06-07-2019, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I upgraded from the SL9Y to this one SL10YG

What I like:
  • Setup through Google Home App
  • Sound clarity and does not overpower; I can tell the difference compared to the SL9Y
  • the support for DTS HD Master Audio (MA) - SL9Y did not have this
What I don't like:
  • No Ethernet port: this won't bother most, but I had to move my router to avoid WiFi interference (has to be more than 3.3 ft away)
  • No LED indicator for DTS-HD MA or standard DTS. I'm used to an A/V Receiver to indicate when sources are available/connected.
  • No HDMI 2.1 eARC support. This doesn't bother me since my TV is from 2018, but given that LG launched their 2019 TV's to support this, one would assume it would align

G = indicator for 2019 model
Mcdaygo and iatacs19 like this.

TV: LG 55" OLED (OLED55C8PUA)
AVR = Denon AVR-1200W
Console: PS4 Pro
Other: nVidia Shield TV (2017)
post #10 of 39 Old 06-08-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domerdel81 View Post

What I like:
  • Sound clarity and does not overpower; I can tell the difference compared to the SL9Y
What I don't like:
  • No Ethernet port: this won't bother most, but I had to move my router to avoid WiFi interference (has to be more than 3.3 ft away)
  • No LED indicator for DTS-HD MA or standard DTS. I'm used to an A/V Receiver to indicate when sources are available/connected.
  • No HDMI 2.1 eARC support. This doesn't bother me since my TV is from 2018, but given that LG launched their 2019 TV's to support this, one would assume it would align

Does the SL10YG block the bottom of your 55C8?
post #11 of 39 Old 06-10-2019, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordvarg View Post

I have the 65B8 and just got the SL10YG soundbar and SPK8 rear speakers. The SB ARC is connected to the B8 ARC via hi-speed HDMI cable, a Sony UBP-X700 BD player is plugged in the SB HDMI1, and Apple TV 4K in the SP HDMI2. B8 SOUND OUT is set to ARC. The SB is on the same table as the B8, and (even sitting 2 inches in front of the B8) blocks the IR sensor on the B8. I have to hold the SB remote high over my head from my viewing position in order to connect with the B8 IR sensor.

The audio from the soundbar is an improvement over the B8 internal speakers. However, I have not yet been able to get ANY sound out of the rear speakers. The rear speaker receiver shows a solid green LED indicator, which would seem to mean it is properly paired with the SB, but neither YouTube 5.1 nor Atmos demos via ATV result in any sound from the rear speakers. I have also tried the same demos using the ATV directly connected to the B8 HDMI3 and also via the B8 internal Youtube app, but still nothing from the rears.

Next, I'm going to try the Interstellar 4K disk to try to get sound from the rears.

Is there a setting I am missing in the SB? I'm thinking I may have gotten a defective SPK8 kit.

Any help would be appreciated.
Mcdaygo likes this.
post #12 of 39 Old 06-11-2019, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Wonder how you are doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankk54 View Post
I purchased this bar on Saturday. I'm still checking it out, but so far I like it. The only thing I had to compare it to was a older Polk 3.1 bar that had the center channel for voice.

So far I like this bar, it doesn't over power you it just sounds smooth. I had an issue with connecting my blu ray player but a couple of high speed HDMI cables solved that problem. The vocals are clear and the effects are great.

I also picked up the rear speaker kit for the bar but I haven't installed them yet. Probably today or tomorrow.

I just finished setting up the blu ray to output Dolby Atmos and I hope to see how that sounds today.
I'll update as I go along.

Frank
I'm just on the verge of dropping a grand or so for the LG SL10Y[G]. Wonder if those who submitted early reviews are happy with their systems? Some specific questions: 1. If you got the rear speaker kit, can you tell whether the sound is up-firing, and whether the entire kit is wireless? 2. I bought LG's last 3D TV (55OLEDE6P). Can I assume no one had problems playing 3D discs with this soundbar? 3. There weren't many comments about the immersion factor. I know there is not a lot out there (especially streaming) but Netflix has some movies which are ATMOS-compatible. Did anyone try them, or alternatively, sound off 3D Blu-Ray disks or just blu-ray/4K discs? LG dropped ethernet on this model (which I MUCH prefer), and I did read about someone who had problems because of the proximity of his router and the soundbar. Anyone else? My plan is to connect the following to the SB: HDMI 1 IN - Xbox One X; HDMI 2 IN - Apple TV; HDMI Out (TV ARC) to - LG TV ARC. Does anyone see any snags?? Any problems with using my iPad and Apple 4K TV to transfer movies to the LG?? Many thanks! P.S. Sorry for the double entry!
post #13 of 39 Old 06-11-2019, 06:45 AM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by conversr View Post
I have the 65B8 and just got the SL10YG soundbar and SPK8 rear speakers. The SB ARC is connected to the B8 ARC via hi-speed HDMI cable, a Sony UBP-X700 BD player is plugged in the SB HDMI1, and Apple TV 4K in the SP HDMI2. B8 SOUND OUT is set to ARC. The SB is on the same table as the B8, and (even sitting 2 inches in front of the B8) blocks the IR sensor on the B8. I have to hold the SB remote high over my head from my viewing position in order to connect with the B8 IR sensor.

The audio from the soundbar is an improvement over the B8 internal speakers. However, I have not yet been able to get ANY sound out of the rear speakers. The rear speaker receiver shows a solid green LED indicator, which would seem to mean it is properly paired with the SB, but neither YouTube 5.1 nor Atmos demos via ATV result in any sound from the rear speakers. I have also tried the same demos using the ATV directly connected to the B8 HDMI3 and also via the B8 internal Youtube app, but still nothing from the rears.

Next, I'm going to try the Interstellar 4K disk to try to get sound from the rears.

Is there a setting I am missing in the SB? I'm thinking I may have gotten a defective SPK8 kit.

Thanks for your observations, and I hope you got the rears up & running. Since I don't have my system yet, I can't help you with your problem other than to suggest the usual - forums, Amazon reviews, etc. When you have a spare minute, I'd really be interested in knowing how you like the system overall (assuming you get it all working). Good luck!
post #14 of 39 Old 06-11-2019, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Conversr, All I could think off is to check out page 21 in the manual (if you haven't already). It directs those who have added the rears to toggle "surround" on and off by holding down the sound tuning button for 3 seconds. It even states it should be magnificent! Lol. If still nothing maybe WiFi interference or a dud kit? Good Luck
post #15 of 39 Old 06-11-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Conversr, All I could think off is to check out page 21 in the manual (if you haven't already). It directs those who have added the rears to toggle "surround" on and off by holding down the sound tuning button for 3 seconds. It even states it should be magnificent! Lol. If still nothing maybe WiFi interference or a dud kit? Good Luck
Thanks, McDaygo. I had missed that and will give it a try.

As part of my troubleshooting. I played a 4K disk on the Sony player connected to HDMI2 on the soundbar. I got multiple drop-outs and the disk was unviewable. When I took the SAME HDMI cable and directly connected the player to the B8 via B8 HDMI3, the disk played beautifully. My cables are labelled High Speed HDMI so the cable should not be the problem. However, I just ordered some CERTIFIED High Speed HDMI cables to completely eliminate the cables as a possible problem source. I'll be disappointed if I can't use the HDMI inputs on the soundbar.

I also tried connecting the SB to the B8 via optical. The only difference was that the B8 could no longer control volume of the soundbar.

I'm going back to connecting the soundbar to the B8 via ARC, then trying the procedure you suggested. If no joy, I'll try moving the rear spakers and reciver closer to the B8 to see if that make any difference. After that, I'll face the possibility that either the SB or rear speaker kit is defective.
post #16 of 39 Old 06-11-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor3397 View Post
Thanks for your observations, and I hope you got the rears up & running. Since I don't have my system yet, I can't help you with your problem other than to suggest the usual - forums, Amazon reviews, etc. When you have a spare minute, I'd really be interested in knowing how you like the system overall (assuming you get it all working). Good luck!
Thanks, I'll post my progress (or lack thereof).
post #17 of 39 Old 06-11-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I'll post my progress (or lack thereof).
McDago, your tip on the procedure from p.21 of the SL10YG manual was a partial solution. After going through this procedure, I was finally able to get sound out the rear left speaker, but nothing from the right.

I played a lot of surround and Atmos demos from YouTube, via the built-in B8 ap and also via Apple TV to the B* HDMI 3. I also switched the ATV to SB HDMI 1 to see if there was any improvement over audio to the SB via ARC. I also listened via ATV to some music from my iTunes library but was never able to get anything out of the right rear, Morover, in moving around between SB position, the rear speakers, and my listening position, and shuffling remotes from the ATV, SB, B8, and cable box, I misplaced the tiny ATV remote. At this point, I was so frustrated that I decided to go out on the porch and have a beer.

Here are my impressions so far. There is good apparent movement from right to left, and some sound seems to be coming from above the TV although I never heard anything like sound from directly overhead. It was interesting and there was plenty of volume to fill a fairly large room. However, quality of sound was about what I could expect from 4-inch speakers, even though there are many of them. I listen to an audio test tone which slid from 2000 HZ down to 1 Hz. The sound was OK down to about 150, low volume from 150 to about 110, varying volume between 110 and 65, and not much below 65. The low peddle tone that I know is present at the beginning of Also Sprach Zarathustra was, of course, completely missing.

This is my first soundbar, and the only thing I have to compare to is an old 5.1 system with a 10-year old Pioneer 100WPC receiver, and 8” sub. For a weekend place, I wanted the convenience, simplicity, and ease of installation of one-piece unit with wireless rears. However, the sound is quite inferior to my old 5.1 system. I was probably expecting too much.

I’ll keep the SL10YG and try to get it working properly. However, if I had to do it over again, I would probably spend a little more and work a little harder on the installation and get a low-cost 5.1 or 7.1 system based on bookshelf LCRs, a small sub, and a low end Denon receiver.
Mcdaygo likes this.
post #18 of 39 Old 06-11-2019, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
McDago, your tip on the procedure from p.21 of the SL10YG manual was a partial solution. After going through this procedure, I was finally able to get sound out the rear left speaker, but nothing from the right.

I played a lot of surround and Atmos demos from YouTube, via the built-in B8 ap and also via Apple TV to the B* HDMI 3. I also switched the ATV to SB HDMI 1 to see if there was any improvement over audio to the SB via ARC. I also listened via ATV to some music from my iTunes library but was never able to get anything out of the right rear, Morover, in moving around between SB position, the rear speakers, and my listening position, and shuffling remotes from the ATV, SB, B8, and cable box, I misplaced the tiny ATV remote. At this point, I was so frustrated that I decided to go out on the porch and have a beer.

Here are my impressions so far. There is good apparent movement from right to left, and some sound seems to be coming from above the TV although I never heard anything like sound from directly overhead. It was interesting and there was plenty of volume to fill a fairly large room. However, quality of sound was about what I could expect from 4-inch speakers, even though there are many of them. I listen to an audio test tone which slid from 2000 HZ down to 1 Hz. The sound was OK down to about 150, low volume from 150 to about 110, varying volume between 110 and 65, and not much below 65. The low peddle tone that I know is present at the beginning of Also Sprach Zarathustra was, of course, completely missing.

This is my first soundbar, and the only thing I have to compare to is an old 5.1 system with a 10-year old Pioneer 100WPC receiver, and 8” sub. For a weekend place, I wanted the convenience, simplicity, and ease of installation of one-piece unit with wireless rears. However, the sound is quite inferior to my old 5.1 system. I was probably expecting too much.

I’ll keep the SL10YG and try to get it working properly. However, if I had to do it over again, I would probably spend a little more and work a little harder on the installation and get a low-cost 5.1 or 7.1 system based on bookshelf LCRs, a small sub, and a low end Denon receiver.
Hmmmm. I remember having to play around with the crappy speaker spring clips on the rear speakers when I had my SK10Y, I think I had them pushed TOO far in. Maybe try getting a movie soundtrack going and play around with the speaker cable/clips on the one that is INOP.

Thank you for the thoughts on it as well, it can never be overstated how even a basic 5.1 AVR/Speaker System will trump a SB/Sub but I suppose that isn't the point in most cases. I think there's something to be said with the progress Soundbars "sounds" are making.
post #19 of 39 Old 06-12-2019, 06:27 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingerson View Post
I have the SL10YG. It does pass 4K SDR and HDR (4:2:0) at 60fps. The Apple TV has known issues with HDR, so I'm not really into using that. The soundbar does *not* pass Dolby Vision @ 4K @ 60fps. Only 30fps. (It also still doesn't have discrete IR codes, which is another issue.) The bar is "faster" than the SK10Y in terms of power-on time, etc., and sounds the same as far as I can tell. Atmos is more "reliable" too -- previously the SK10Y would recognize Atmos when viewing an iTunes movie (with [email protected]) and would sometimes "pop" with a "Not Supported" message flashing on the soundbar. Haven't had that happen with the SL10YG (but it's early).

PS - the best setting for Apple TV I've found are to use 4K SDR @ 60fps, and then enable Match Content Depth & Frame Rate - this will enable [email protected] when viewing iTunes, Netflix etc.

PPS - not sure why it's called the "YG" -- the "9" model has a gyroscope so that it can be flat-mounted on the wall, whereas this unit does not have that feature.
post #20 of 39 Old 06-13-2019, 10:16 AM

Liked: 6
I've noticed a couple things about the SL10Y that I'm not a huge fan of:

No ethernet port. Yes, I use ethernet whenever possible and the SJ9 and SL10K both had an ethernet port.
When turning on my LG B6, after some amount of time, HDMI-CEC doesn't function properly and I have to either press the F button or open the LG Wi-Fi Speaker app to wake up the soundbar.

Other things that I do really like:

No audio dropouts like on my SJ9.
Google Assistant is great and a natural addition to this product!
Mcdaygo likes this.
post #21 of 39 Old 06-20-2019, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi im needing some help with the equaliser on the sl10y so i can get it as good as possible. Also getting the sk8 speakers. There are some settings in equaliser i dont know what they are doing.
post #22 of 39 Old 06-20-2019, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmm dont seem my post came up. What are the best equaliser settings for the sl10y? Are some stuff i dont know what it is so
post #23 of 39 Old 06-22-2019, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

What I like:
What I don't like:

I am looking to buy an ATMOS soundbar to go with my newly purchased 55” C9, and was thinking about the SL8YG hoping for compatibility with the C9. I want the LG magic remote to control soundbar power and volume and muting. I also want my external sources to go to the TV so that the TV remote controls switching sources (and not the soundbar remote) and connect the soundbar via the TV eARC input and soundbar ARC output (please correct me if I have this wrong, but I thought the ARC HDMI on the LG soundbars is an output and the eARC on the LG C9 is an input, but that this is how to connect sources to the TV and get sound out via HDMI to the soundbar, presumably because ARC is bidirectional???). Again, please correct me if I am confused.

Since I am not aware of ANY eARC soundbar out there (and even if there was one, would it be compatible with the LG C9?), I assume that the TV eARC-to-soundbar ARC is the only way to get ATMOS to the soundbar, even if it compressed, so that is the best I can do at this point. Is that true?

Also, as per the post above...in my setup I cannot move my router farther than three feet away from the TV and soundbar. Cannot. Did the poster find that they, as stated, HAD TO to avoid WiFi interference? Or were you just quoting the manual?
post #24 of 39 Old 06-22-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgrenley View Post
I am looking to buy an ATMOS soundbar to go with my newly purchased 55” C9, and was thinking about the SL8YG hoping for compatibility with the C9. I want the LG magic remote to control soundbar power and volume and muting. I also want my external sources to go to the TV so that the TV remote controls switching sources (and not the soundbar remote) and connect the soundbar via the TV eARC input and soundbar ARC output (please correct me if I have this wrong, but I thought the ARC HDMI on the LG soundbars is an output and the eARC on the LG C9 is an input, but that this is how to connect sources to the TV and get sound out via HDMI to the soundbar, presumably because ARC is bidirectional???). Again, please correct me if I am confused.

Since I am not aware of ANY eARC soundbar out there (and even if there was one, would it be compatible with the LG C9?), I assume that the TV eARC-to-soundbar ARC is the only way to get ATMOS to the soundbar, even if it compressed, so that is the best I can do at this point. Is that true?

Also, as per the post above...in my setup I cannot move my router farther than three feet away from the TV and soundbar. Cannot. Did the poster find that they, as stated, HAD TO to avoid WiFi interference? Or were you just quoting the manual?
I believe the Samsung HW-Q80R and HW-Q90R soundbars have eARC.
post #25 of 39 Old 06-22-2019, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
My review of the LG SL10Y

I brought this as a replacement for a Samsung N950, which I had returned due to a fault.
The first thing I noticed is how much neater it is than the N950. The bar is so thin that it will fit beneath most TVs. Other cinematic soundbars have the issue of being too high and obscuring the screen, resulting in the need to elevate the TV (perhaps against the will of the customer).
The length of the Sl10yg is also striking, it's the longest soundbar available.

I also purchased the SPK-8s rear speakers to give me the full 7.1.2 setup that I desired. These were very easy to set up and the speakers are much easier to mount on stands than those of the N950 (who's speakers are huge and heavy, too much so for many stands I've seen).

The ease of setup was exactly what I'd want from a soundbar, but I was still impressed with the fact that I was speaking to Google Assistant on the sl10yg within minutes of setup.

The sound quality is excellent. The sound field is wide and clear, with height effects that will not disappoint. Atmos and DTSX sources are superb and certainly better than the N950 (the bass seems more balanced overall on all surround sound source&#115. One feature that is not advertised on the box or website is that the sl10yg does DTS Neuralx, which is an excellent 7.1.2 upmixer developed by DTS. It has been amazing for use on my existing blu Ray collection, transforming them into more immersive experiences.

Control over each individual speaker is also better than similar Atmos and DTSX soundbars, allowing for at least a little bit of personalisation to environments or preferences.

I would say this is the best soundbar I've ever owned. Previously I've owned: Sony HT5000, Sony z9f, Samsung k950, LG Sk10y and Samsung N950.
post #26 of 39 Old 06-22-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgrenley View Post
Quote:

What I like:

[LIST][*]Setup through Google Home App[*]Sound clarity and does not overpower; I can tell the difference compared to the SL9Y
[*]the support for DTS HD Master Audio (MA) - SL9Y did not have this
[/LIST]
What I don't like:

[LIST][*]No Ethernet port: this won't bother most, but I had to move my router to avoid WiFi interference (has to be more than 3.3 ft away)[*]No LED indicator for DTS-HD MA or standard DTS. I'm used to an A/V Receiver to indicate when sources are available/connected.[*]No HDMI 2.1 eARC support. This doesn't bother me since my TV is from 2018, but given that LG launched their 2019 TV's to support this, one would assume it would align
[/LIST]

I don't quite understand where you've got the idea that the only Atmos you can get is compressed, due to some assumption that Arc is the only way to get sound to the bar.
Just connect your source to one of the hdmi ports on the bar and get full u compressed audio for any source. It really works a dream as I've demonstrated with all my 'go to' scenes and discs. I've just upgraded from the Sammy N950, so all comparisons are impressing me so far.
post #27 of 39 Old 06-23-2019, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkshowchris View Post

I brought this as a replacement for a Samsung N950, which I had returned due to a fault.
The first thing I noticed is how much neater it is than the N950. The bar is so thin that it will fit beneath most TVs. Other cinematic soundbars have the issue of being too high and obscuring the screen, resulting in the need to elevate the TV (perhaps against the will of the customer).

I also purchased the SPK-8s rear speakers to give me the full 7.1.2 setup that I desired. These were very easy to set up and the speakers are much easier to mount on stands than those of the N950 (who's speakers are huge and heavy, too much so for many stands I've seen).

The ease of setup was exactly what I'd want from a soundbar, but I was still impressed with the fact that I was speaking to Google Assistant on the sl10yg within minutes of setup.

The sound quality is excellent. The sound field is wide and clear, with height effects that will not disappoint. Atmos and DTSX sources are superb and certainly better than the N950 (the bass seems more balanced overall on all surround sound sources). One feature that is not advertised on the box or website is that the sl10yg does DTS Neuralx, which is an excellent 7.1.2 upmixer developed by DTS. It has been amazing for use on my existing blu Ray collection, transforming them into more immersive experiences.

Control over each individual speaker is also better than similar Atmos and DTSX soundbars, allowing for at least a little bit of personalisation to environments or preferences.

I would say this is the best soundbar I've ever owned. Previously I've owned: Sony HT5000, Sony z9f, Samsung k950, LG Sk10y and Samsung N950.
How is the subwoofer output compared to the previous model and the Sony st5000?

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
post #28 of 39 Old 06-23-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefy314 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkshowchris View Post

The sound quality is excellent. The sound field is wide and clear, with height effects that will not disappoint. Atmos and DTSX sources are superb and certainly better than the N950 (the bass seems more balanced overall on all surround sound source&#115. One feature that is not advertised on the box or website is that the sl10yg does DTS Neuralx, which is an excellent 7.1.2 upmixer developed by DTS. It has been amazing for use on my existing blu Ray collection, transforming them into more immersive experiences.

How is the subwoofer output compared to the previous model and the Sony st5000?

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
It's definitely more powerful than the previous model. In my room it sounds great, handling Mad Max Fury Road and The Matrix perfectly.

I've only had it set up a few days, so it's not a huge set of content I've put through it, but it's definitely better than the N950 sub as I have like for like comparisons in my environment to go on.
post #29 of 39 Old 07-04-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Hmmmm. I remember having to play around with the crappy speaker spring clips on the rear speakers when I had my SK10Y, I think I had them pushed TOO far in. Maybe try getting a movie soundtrack going and play around with the speaker cable/clips on the one that is INOP.

Thank you for the thoughts on it as well, it can never be overstated how even a basic 5.1 AVR/Speaker System will trump a SB/Sub but I suppose that isn't the point in most cases. I think there's something to be said with the progress Soundbars "sounds" are making.
OK, an update. I have done some trouble-shooting on my SL10Y. I got the surround components to work but only the left rear. After doing lots of swapping out different speakers and cables, it appears that the surround receiver has no output on the right rear terminals. I guess I'll have to send the surround system back.

Some other impressions, though: when playing YouTube tests of 5.1 and 7.1 systems, there was significant sound output from the left rear, not only when the test indicated it was sending a left rear signal, but also when the left front and center signals were output by the test.

Knowing what I know now, based on mediocre sound quality, and less-than-impressive bass and channel effects (and even ignoring for the moment that the surround receiver is defective), I think I would not have gone the route of a soundbar. Instead I would have paid a little more for a low-end Denon receiver and separate speakers. The convenience of the sound bar installation even if I get the surround kit working, for me, does not justify the drawbacks.
post #30 of 39 Old 07-08-2019, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I just purchased the SL10YG with the SPK8 rears. For whatever reason I cannot passthrough Dolby Vision with my Xbox One X. I bought new hdmi cables and ensured that ultra deep color is enabled. When plugged directly into my TV I get Dolby Vision but then I have terrible audio delay through the soundbar. The only option is to run Xbox-Soundbar-TV without Dolby Vision so far.

Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars