Am I getting 5.1 with Digital Optical? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-16-2019, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Am I getting 5.1 with Digital Optical?

The more I read the more confused I get. I read this and that about getting and not getting 5.1 surround with Digital Optical cable which is what I'm currently using. My setup is: Samsung MU6300 55inch 4K TV, LG UP875 4K Blu ray player and a Vizio 5.1 surround Model: SB3851-D0. The audio settings in the LG Player is set to Auto in the Digital Output with the options of PCM or DTS Re-Encode...Sampling Freq is set to 96 KHz with 48 and 192 KHz as options. I'm running the Digital Optical cable from the sound bar to the blu ray player and HDMI from the player to the TV.

I don't have Comcast or internet with the TV...just an HD antenna so I only get local stations and don't need a sound bar for that...so I just use the TV speakers. When I watch movies I watch 4K and blu ray and use the sound bar with that. I'm just not sure if I'm getting 5.1 or 2.0. The sound bar is supposed to play 5.1 but I read about 5.1 getting downmixed to 2.0 with digital optical unless that just applies if it's connected to the TV which mine is not...it's straight from the player to the sound bar. Anyone know? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-16-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 2620
Optical cable will transport DD / DTS 5.1-channel compressed audio. Your source needs to be able to output it and your receiving device needs to be able to process / play it.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-16-2019, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Well my source would be my blu ray player which supports Dolby, Atmos, DTS and some others so I assume it will play or output 5.1 to the sound bar which is rated as 5.1. Since I'm pretty much bypassing the TV then I wouldn't consider that to be the source and if I'm correct then I should be getting 5.1. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-25-2019, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
Optical cable will transport DD / DTS 5.1-channel compressed audio. Your source needs to be able to output it and your receiving device needs to be able to process / play it.

I was previously under the impression that an optical cable would only pass 2 channels (based on a particular experience). Perhaps the problem that I had was in the source of receiving end.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-27-2019, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasf714 View Post
I was previously under the impression that an optical cable would only pass 2 channels (based on a particular experience). Perhaps the problem that I had was in the source of receiving end.
No, optical does pass 5.1 but not the newer HD formats - True HD, Digital Plus, and DTS HD. If you sent those signals it would just default to Dolby 5.1
post #6 of 7 Old 05-27-2019, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp2k7 View Post
No, optical does pass 5.1 but not the newer HD formats - True HD, Digital Plus, and DTS HD. If you sent those signals it would just default to Dolby 5.1

Thanks.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-28-2019, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by william273 View Post
Thanks.
I should qualify that it does depend on if you're tv can support it. Here's a list from rtings showing what capabilities particular tv models have
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inpu...io-passthrough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page