HDMI ARC 4K Pass through question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By william273

post #1 of 8 Old 05-29-2019, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 22
HDMI ARC 4K Pass through question

Sorry for all the questions I've posted the last few days and thanks for all the help. I think I've finally found my ARC issue...wrong connections. Got in touch with a Samsung tech support person that seems to know her stuff. This is how she suggested I make the connections and it actually seems to be working. LG 4K Bluray player connected to HWR550 2.1 Samsung Sound bar via HDMI in...HWR550 Sound bar out connected to Samsung MU6300 4K TV.... via HDMI ARC. Do I need to be concerned with 4K pass though? I just use the sound bar for blu ray movies and TV speakers when watching TV. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-30-2019, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I guess if you aren't trying to watch any 4K Blu-rays it doesn't matter since the HW-R550 doesn't pass through 4K. I assume your 1080p Blu-rays are working fine with this setup? But then why did you buy a 4K player?

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #3 of 8 Old 05-30-2019, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
I guess if you aren't trying to watch any 4K Blu-rays it doesn't matter since the HW-R550 doesn't pass through 4K. I assume your 1080p Blu-rays are working fine with this setup? But then why did you buy a 4K player?

Well...yes I am trying to watch 4K Blu rays. So when I watch a 4K blu ray I'm actually seeing 1080 running through the sound bar? If so...how about if I ran HDMI from the 4K player to the TV and used optical out from the player to optical in on the sound bar...would that let me see 4K movies? That's how I used to have it set up....if that's wrong too then so far I've never seen a 4K movie on my TV. Please let me know ASAP as I only have a few more days left if I need to return it. Sorry about all this...nothing's said in the manual or from tech support about losing the resolution....4k down to 1080. The tech support girl did say that Optical was the best setup but I thought HDMI was supposed to be the best unless the Optical set up would let me see 4K...she never said "why" Optical was better. I'm new to all this 4K pass through and other audio settings.Thanks very much for letting me know.

Last edited by william273; 05-30-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-31-2019, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: Just changed the settings. Now I'm using HDMI from blu ray player to TV and optical from player to sound bar. I also changed the audio setting on the player. It only has PCM and Auto and it was set to PCM which I changed to Auto. I just did a sound test with a 1080 blu ray using Ironman 2 chapter 6...race track scene and it's like WOW as far as sound goes. It's like a whole new sound bar which I think has to do with changing the setting from PCM to Auto...I don't think optical will give this kind of sound by itself but could be wrong as I usually am. I have to say this is some incredible sound...I mean real incredible...only have the volume to about 10...no more than 15 and that's almost to loud. This is almost to good to be true...something must be wrong here...any ideas? Should have tested a 4K movie too but was to excited with this new sound...will test one now.
Coercion Shaman likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-31-2019, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by william273 View Post
Well...yes I am trying to watch 4K Blu rays. So when I watch a 4K blu ray I'm actually seeing 1080 running through the sound bar? If so...how about if I ran HDMI from the 4K player to the TV and used optical out from the player to optical in on the sound bar...would that let me see 4K movies? That's how I used to have it set up....if that's wrong too then so far I've never seen a 4K movie on my TV. Please let me know ASAP as I only have a few more days left if I need to return it. Sorry about all this...nothing's said in the manual or from tech support about losing the resolution....4k down to 1080. The tech support girl did say that Optical was the best setup but I thought HDMI was supposed to be the best unless the Optical set up would let me see 4K...she never said "why" Optical was better. I'm new to all this 4K pass through and other audio settings.Thanks very much for letting me know.

The Blu-ray player will either scale it down to 1080p when it detects you can't use 4K or play the standard blu-ray (since most 4K disks include a 1080p copy). The TV then up-scales it back to 4K for display. Running it to the TV gives you the best picture quality because you can play 4K from the disk and nothing is having to translate the coding.

You aren't really losing anything by using the optical cable if set correctly which it sounds like in your other post you figured out.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #6 of 8 Old 05-31-2019, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Yea...the only reason I tried using HDMI ARC was I thought it was supposed to be better audio wise. Anyway optical seems to be working..."out" from blu ray player to "in" on the sound bar. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by william273; 05-31-2019 at 06:33 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by william273 View Post
Yea...the only reason I tried using HDMI ARC was I thought it was supposed to be better audio wise. Anyway optical seems to be working..."out" from blu ray player to "in" on the sound bar. Thanks for the help!
Optical can pass 5.1 DD and DTS IF your tv has the feature built in. I'm guessing yours does. Here's a link to a test of about 60 tv's by rtings that shows what each tv is capable of. BTW since you have the soundbar why don't you listen to tv through the soundbar too?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inpu...io-passthrough
post #8 of 8 Old 06-07-2019, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp2k7 View Post
Optical can pass 5.1 DD and DTS IF your tv has the feature built in. I'm guessing yours does. Here's a link to a test of about 60 tv's by rtings that shows what each tv is capable of. BTW since you have the soundbar why don't you listen to tv through the soundbar too?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inpu...io-passthrough
Thanks for the link and will check it out. I just use a HD Antenna and get local TV...mostly crime, history, nature documentaries so don't need the sound bar for that. Right now I'm using Optical from Blu ray player straight to sound bar...it's all I need and causes no problems....keeps things very simple and easy. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page