Sl10yg Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 55 Old 10-06-2019, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I think it mutes the sound when the microphone comes on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 10-06-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked: 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgilmore62 View Post
I think it mutes the sound when the microphone comes on.

Huh...?

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #33 of 55 Old 10-16-2019, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu934 View Post
Easy fix. Just unplug and than plug back in. It's worked for me several times.

Anyone else think that it's ridiculous to have to unplug and plug back in every couple days for a soundbar that is this expensive and considered one of the best in the market?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 55 Old 10-16-2019, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by minwoo1983 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu934 View Post
Easy fix. Just unplug and than plug back in. It's worked for me several times.

Anyone else think that it's ridiculous to have to unplug and plug back in every couple days for a soundbar that is this expensive and considered one of the best in the market?
Maybe you should contact LG if it's still under warranty. I've had mine for a few months and haven't had any audio dropping out issues.
post #35 of 55 Old 10-25-2019, 04:52 AM

I had to unplug and plug yesterday to get sound again. The soundbar updated the firmware. This is the second firmware update. It updated when I first bought it and connected to wifi. Hopefully the no sound when powering on will be fixed.
post #36 of 55 Old 10-28-2019, 03:27 AM

Quote:
I had to unplug and plug yesterday to get sound again. The soundbar updated the firmware. This is the second firmware update. It updated when I first bought it and connected to wifi. Hopefully the no sound when powering on will be fixed.
How do you know the soundbar is updating its firmware ?
post #37 of 55 Old 10-28-2019, 03:20 PM

The lights in the middle of the soundbar displays update.
post #38 of 55 Old 10-29-2019, 03:20 AM

Quote:
The lights in the middle of the soundbar displays update.
Thanks. I'm not aware of a firmware update the soundbar may have had recently... can you share version info?
Guessing that's accessible via the LG Wi-Fi Speaker app.
post #39 of 55 Old 10-29-2019, 01:30 PM

Got following info from LG and Google apps, and is cryptic AF.
Some similarities can be spotted between the two sources, but hard to know what to make of it all...
Have no idea what version my soundbar was out of the box (3 months ago).

From LG Wi-Fi Speaker app:

Main: 5698275-174279
DAPP: 1910102
Micom: 1910020
HDMI: 1902210
DSP: 1909271

From Google Home app:

Version du micrologiciel système : OIMC.190621.004
Version du micrologiciel Google Cast : 1.40.174279
LG SL10YG ThinQ Soundbar – Version de l'application : 1910102

Maybe "1910102" is in date format with iteration number (yymmddi)...
post #40 of 55 Old 10-29-2019, 04:39 PM

System firmware version: OIMC.190621.004
post #41 of 55 Old 10-30-2019, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi there,

I haven’t used the lg speaker app.

But the firmware can be updated and checked through google home app. Which you will need to link it first(this should be the first step when you got the soundbar).
post #42 of 55 Old 10-31-2019, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxminigun View Post
Hi there,

I haven’t used the lg speaker app.

But the firmware can be updated and checked through google home app. Which you will need to link it first(this should be the first step when you got the soundbar).
Good to know, wasn't aware that Google Home app was capable of pushing firmware updates to third party hardware...
post #43 of 55 Old 11-06-2019, 07:30 AM

Since the update I have not needed to unplug and plug in the soundbar to get sound over hdmi arc.
post #44 of 55 Old 11-09-2019, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone found a good mount for this soundbar? I find that the brackets it ships with are a little inadequate which cause the soundbar to lean down when attached to another mount. Also, the location of the brackets being that far apart, adds another challenge.
post #45 of 55 Old 11-23-2019, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To those using a media PC and a TV capable of receiving 120hz like LG OLEDs, does the soundbar passthrough 1080p 120hz?
post #46 of 55 Old 12-01-2019, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Anyone else using a PS4 (I have a pro but that probably doesn’t matter) with HDMI pass-through successfully? I’ve tried 2 different high speed cables to no avail. I get no picture, just sound cutting in and out. Seems like it’s cycling through resolutions and not finding one that will stick? Sometimes I’ve gotten picture for 2-5 seconds that will promptly disappear to black screen.

I have a LG C8 tv with his setup. Thanks!
post #47 of 55 Old 12-01-2019, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How does the SLY10 sound mounted with the soundbar in the vertical wall mount position? Does it surround sound worse that the usual horizontal position?
post #48 of 55 Old 12-02-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapper View Post
Anyone else using a PS4 (I have a pro but that probably doesn’t matter) with HDMI pass-through successfully? I’ve tried 2 different high speed cables to no avail. I get no picture, just sound cutting in and out. Seems like it’s cycling through resolutions and not finding one that will stick? Sometimes I’ve gotten picture for 2-5 seconds that will promptly disappear to black screen.

I have a LG C8 tv with his setup. Thanks!
Sorry for not replying exactly to the issue that you're having, but can't you connect your PS4 to your TV? That's what I do with my C9 + SL10YG setup. And video and audio (via ARC) are just fine.
post #49 of 55 Old 12-03-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuwinni View Post

Sorry for not replying exactly to the issue that you're having, but can't you connect your PS4 to your TV? That's what I do with my C9 + SL10YG setup. And video and audio (via ARC) are just fine.
No problem mate. Tried that but sound bar only showed pcm and not Dolby digital I was hoping for in games. Or does not matter? Will I get surround if sound bar shows pcm? Don’t have satellites yet but it can still simulate it right? For Netflix and such it shows Dolby/dts on sound bar. And I thought some sound streams were too high but rate for arc if I play a blue ray through PS4.

HDMI pass through should work though over 4K that I output on PS4. Pass theworks on my Xbox 360 which is obviously lower res.

Or is optical a better alternative and can do all audio formats including high bitrate ones such as “real” ATMOS (not the compressed version through arc)
post #50 of 55 Old 12-03-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapper View Post
No problem mate. Tried that but sound bar only showed pcm and not Dolby digital I was hoping for in games.
You need to set the sound on the PS4 to Bitstream (Dolby) on HDMI out, and you'll be enjoying Dolby Digital :-)

Quote:
Or does not matter? Will I get surround if sound bar shows pcm?
Not sure surround works correctly (or at all) if in pcm.

Quote:
Don’t have satellites yet but it can still simulate it right?
Definitely get the satellites ;-) Works nicely with games. (deactivate surround for best experience)

Quote:
For Netflix and such it shows Dolby/dts on sound bar. And I thought some sound streams were too high but rate for arc if I play a blue ray through PS4.
It's true for anything based on Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA, which require to be transported on eARC.
But as far as I know this isn't the case for PS4 games.

Quote:
HDMI pass through should work though over 4K that I output on PS4. Pass theworks on my Xbox 360 which is obviously lower res.
I do have an Nvidia Shield TV plugged into the soundbar that passes 4K no problem.
Then again, a gaming console is better off plugged into the TV (if only for latency considerations).

Quote:
Or is optical a better alternative and can do all audio formats including high bitrate ones such as “real” ATMOS (not the compressed version through arc)
Optical is more limited than ARC, I would definitely advise against in this situation.
I found this article explaining some of the differences very instructive : https://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.p...&id=1534479331
post #51 of 55 Old 12-03-2019, 12:11 PM

Thanks for all the great info and for being able to read and understand my autocorrected mess of a post. You’re right about latency, didn’t even think about that. Will go with ARC instead and force Dolby bitstream through PS4. Do you know what will happen if a I play a Blu-ray with dts on PS4? I guess not many (if any) games use dts.

I also briefly read the link you sent me but will give it a more thorough read soon. Thx.

It’s amazing how complicated audio standards have become. It reminds me of how advanced graphics on pc was for a while. Only the nerds would bother with the settings. Fee like all the different standards in both connections and audio formats has gone the same way. Needs more “plug&play”. 😉
post #52 of 55 Old 12-03-2019, 02:03 PM

I believe PS4 games are Dolby Digital and/or DTS compatible, so that's not an issue here.
However, a Blu-Ray movie (played on the PS4) will most likely be either DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD, which do not go through ARC. I'll have to test to see what happens in that case.

Edit:
Tested with blu-ray movie that has a DTS-HD MA track (seems 99% of them are on that format).
By default, soundbar says it's PCM, need to set the audio setting to bitstream via the options menu of the PS4 during playback, then soundbar indicates it's DTS.
PS4 info bar confirms audio track is DTS-HD MA, so I'm guessing it's been "downgraded" to simple DTS along the way...

Last edited by gnuwinni; 12-03-2019 at 02:39 PM.
post #53 of 55 Old 12-04-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I believe PS4 games are Dolby Digital and/or DTS compatible, so that's not an issue here.
However, a Blu-Ray movie (played on the PS4) will most likely be either DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD, which do not go through ARC. I'll have to test to see what happens in that case.

Edit:
Tested with blu-ray movie that has a DTS-HD MA track (seems 99% of them are on that format).
By default, soundbar says it's PCM, need to set the audio setting to bitstream via the options menu of the PS4 during playback, then soundbar indicates it's DTS.
PS4 info bar confirms audio track is DTS-HD MA, so I'm guessing it's been "downgraded" to simple DTS along the way...
As expected then I guess. I also know that uncompressed Atmos won’t play via arc, but there is a compressed one that will (used by streaming services for example). Guess it’s not a huge deal. It’s a good sound bar but if I really wanted to take advantage of uncompressed sound I would have gotten a full blown home cinema. Thanks for all your help!
post #54 of 55 Old 12-05-2019, 01:52 AM

Dolby True HD Atmos : lossless : doesn't work with ARC, requires eARC
Dolby Digital Plus Atmos : lossy : works with ARC

Ideally, LG would try to do what some other vendors (wink Sony) have done and push a software update to the soundbar to make it eARC compatible.

You can signify your interest of having this feature to LG on this page : https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussio...rmware-updates
post #55 of 55 Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Dolby True HD Atmos : lossless : doesn't work with ARC, requires eARC
Dolby Digital Plus Atmos : lossy : works with ARC

Ideally, LG would try to do what some other vendors (wink Sony) have done and push a software update to the soundbar to make it eARC compatible.

You can signify your interest of having this feature to LG on this page : https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussio...rmware-updates
Great info, thanks. I can sign the petition although it won’t do any good for me with LG C8 that’s doesn’t have e-arc. But I’ll do it to help others out. 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars