Sl10yg Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #61 of 116 Old 12-28-2019, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgilmore62 View Post
I replaced the little speakers that come with the SPK-8s with some Polk T15's. Sounds much better.
I was thinking of trying that with 2 of the 8ohms speakers that came with my Polk Audio RM6750 but I was worried it could damage it, if those speakers you added can handle it I'm sure these would be fine right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 116 Old 12-28-2019, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I guess so, the T15's are 8ohms. Definitely better sound than the little lg speakers.
post #63 of 116 Old 12-28-2019, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
They were $70 at Bestbuy they said I could return them if they didn't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 116 Old 01-01-2020, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WkittySkittyLBoF View Post
Just got my new sound bar hooked up. When using the info button I see it showing "Dolby Audio" when using my cable box, how do I know if that is DD 5.1 or not? I also noticed there is a setting in the speaker app for DTS: Neural X, has anyone tried that? If so, how does it work? And is that only applicable when you're watching a DTS source? Thanks! Can't wait to hook up my laptop and try some Atmos with Netflix later tonight when my girlfriend is sleeping and I can have it to myself LOL

Just had my SL10YG for 2 days, and I have been wondering the same. Yes, all it says is "Dolby Audio" so don't really know what it is seeing.

I play Netflix to the soundbar via a chromecast plugged into HDMI2. I was disappointed to find the built in chromecast is only a "chromecast audio" and you can't cast Netflix to it. As for ATMOS, I have not been able to try it, as it seems only the premium accounts which give you the ultraHD 4k video, allow you to get ATMOS sound. Another disappointment.
post #65 of 116 Old 01-01-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaddict View Post
Quote:
Just got my new sound bar hooked up. When using the info button I see it showing "Dolby Audio" when using my cable box, how do I know if that is DD 5.1 or not? I also noticed there is a setting in the speaker app for DTS: Neural X, has anyone tried that? If so, how does it work? And is that only applicable when you're watching a DTS source? Thanks! Can't wait to hook up my laptop and try some Atmos with Netflix later tonight when my girlfriend is sleeping and I can have it to myself LOL

Just had my SL10YG for 2 days, and I have been wondering the same. Yes, all it says is "Dolby Audio" so don't really know what it is seeing.

I play Netflix to the soundbar via a chromecast plugged into HDMI2. I was disappointed to find the built in chromecast is only a "chromecast audio" and you can't cast Netflix to it. As for ATMOS, I have not been able to try it, as it seems only the premium accounts which give you the ultraHD 4k video, allow you to get ATMOS sound. Another disappointment.
Disney+ and Amazon Prime both give you Atmos with the standard account. Disney+ is actually the only streaming app that works with Atmos over ARC through my LG built-in apps on the TV. I have an older, none Atmos capable TV.
post #66 of 116 Old 01-01-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Did you buy the rear speaker kit? It makes a world of difference!
post #67 of 116 Old 01-01-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Disney+ and Amazon Prime both give you Atmos with the standard account. Disney+ is actually the only streaming app that works with Atmos over ARC through my LG built-in apps on the TV. I have an older, none Atmos capable TV.

I have the Amazon Prime video access that you get when you sign up for Amazon Prime in Australia. Not sure if Prime Video access is limited, like, for example, the Prime Music access which has limited songs available.

What is a good example movie on Prime that gives you ATMOS sound, that I can play to test it? I thought the Jack Ryan series was ATMOS, but I just get "Dolby Audio" displayed, and can use the "sound effects" which the manual says will be disabled when receiving proper ATMOS audio.
post #68 of 116 Old 01-01-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Did you buy the rear speaker kit? It makes a world of difference!
Not yet. I mainly purchased the SL10 because my old 5.1 system had wired speakers which annoyed my wife and did look messy. Also, we have a tall-backed couch that tends to block a lot of sound from the rear. When I bought the SL10, I was intending to try it out (3 days in now) and buy the rear speaker kit if I thought it needed it. One attraction is that it supposedly gives you a 7.1.2 system equivalent.

So far I have been quite happy with the rear speaker sounds from the SL10 alone.
post #69 of 116 Old 01-01-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I have the Amazon Prime video access that you get when you sign up for Amazon Prime in Australia. Not sure if Prime Video access is limited, like, for example, the Prime Music access which has limited songs available.

What is a good example movie on Prime that gives you ATMOS sound, that I can play to test it? I thought the Jack Ryan series was ATMOS, but I just get "Dolby Audio" displayed, and can use the "sound effects" which the manual says will be disabled when receiving proper ATMOS audio.
Yeah, that show does support Atmos but it also depends on the device you are using to stream it and the connection type. What device are you using for Amazon Prime?
post #70 of 116 Old 01-01-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that show does support Atmos but it also depends on the device you are using to stream it and the connection type. What device are you using for Amazon Prime?
I use a Chromecast, controlled by an Android tablet. Probably the last thing Amazon would support
post #71 of 116 Old 01-01-2020, 04:19 PM

When my info display says "PCM" when playing content via HDMI input (from a chromecast), is it limited to stereo (2 channel), or can PCM contain more channels when used over HDMI?
post #72 of 116 Old 01-01-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I use a Chromecast, controlled by an Android tablet. Probably the last thing Amazon would support [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Lol, yeah, you're probably still getting DD 5.1, difference between that and Atmos on a soundbar is not as significant as full discrete system anyway. You could set to Movie mode on the bar to get a "simulated" Atmos from the 5.1. as in the upfiring speakers will be utilized for ambient effects.
post #73 of 116 Old 01-01-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
When my info display says "PCM" when playing content via HDMI input (from a chromecast), is it limited to stereo (2 channel), or can PCM contain more channels when used over HDMI?
As far as this LG soundbar goes, PCM would only be stereo, you can use Movie mode or the surround option to simulate surround. Although I was able to get DD 5.1 with Chromecast myself streaming from my smartphone. So there may be a setting you can change to get it. Is the Chromecast plugged directly into the soundbar or into the TV?
post #74 of 116 Old 01-01-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
As far as this LG soundbar goes, PCM would only be stereo, you can use Movie mode or the surround option to simulate surround. Although I was able to get DD 5.1 with Chromecast myself streaming from my smartphone. So there may be a setting you can change to get it. Is the Chromecast plugged directly into the soundbar or into the TV?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I DO get DD 5.1 for some titles. Then it shows "Dolby Audio". I was just wondering for the many other shows, when it displays "PCM", whether they had to be stereo only, or whether there was some other scheme for sending more than 2 channels over PCM. I have read discussions that seemed to say it was possible.

Also, I suppose if I ever play anything with DTS, the LG will display "DTS" or something similar too?
post #75 of 116 Old 01-01-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I DO get DD 5.1 for some titles. Then it shows "Dolby Audio". I was just wondering for the many other shows, when it displays "PCM", whether they had to be stereo only, or whether there was some other scheme for sending more than 2 channels over PCM. I have read discussions that seemed to say it was possible.

Also, I suppose if I ever play anything with DTS, the LG will display "DTS" or something similar too?
Ahh I understand, as far as I am aware, the soundbar can only handle 2.0 PCM. There may be matrixed surround information in that PCM signal though which I believe the movie mode or surround option (only with rear speakers for the surround option) can utilize for surround sound. Think Dolby Pro logic. And yes, DTS will show up. I've seen DTS, Dolby Audio, PCM, Atmos show up. Never used a DTS:X source yet but assuming DTS:X would show up got that.
post #76 of 116 Old 01-02-2020, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
I use a Chromecast, controlled by an Android tablet. Probably the last thing Amazon would support
I'm guessing you're doing that because you're not equipped with a smart TV?
Otherwise, I'd advise using the TV apps to get the most out of the streaming services' audio. Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Disney+ should all have Dolby Digital Plus/Atmos audio correctly transported through HDMI ARC.
If the TV isn't smart, then I would suggest replacing the Chromecast with an Nvidia Shield TV (plugged into the soundbar) and using the apps on that device.
post #77 of 116 Old 01-02-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuwinni View Post
Quote:
I use a Chromecast, controlled by an Android tablet. Probably the last thing Amazon would support [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Otherwise, I'd advise using the TV apps to get the most out of the streaming services' audio. Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Disney+ should all have Dolby Digital Plus/Atmos audio correctly transported through HDMI ARC.
If the TV isn't smart, then I would suggest replacing the Chromecast with an Nvidia Shield TV (plugged into the soundbar) and using the apps on that device.
A lot of TVs don't pass Atmos over ARC for some reason. My LG 43UK6300 only passes DD 5.1 for Amazon Prime, Netflix, only Disney+ passes Atmos. I don't know why. Anyone know? Seems like Amazon and Netflix are being lazy or stubborn with their built in apps.
post #78 of 116 Old 01-02-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
The TV is smart, BUT, the audio that it transmits to the soundbar is only 2 channel (via optical - no ARC). So, I would get no surround sound. Also, I will swear the video quality is better via the Chromecast.

I will look into the NVidia Shield TV.
post #79 of 116 Old 01-02-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
A lot of TVs don't pass Atmos over ARC for some reason. My LG 43UK6300 only passes DD 5.1 for Amazon Prime, Netflix, only Disney+ passes Atmos. I don't know why. Anyone know? Seems like Amazon and Netflix are being lazy or stubborn with their built in apps.
Correct, and mine is optical anyway, which is limited to 2 channel using PCM. Interesting that you seem to be saying that, even on a TV with ARC, the app has also to support passing ATMOS over it.
post #80 of 116 Old 01-02-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Correct, and mine is optical anyway, which is limited to 2 channel using PCM. Interesting that you seem to be saying that, even on a TV with ARC, the app has also to support passing ATMOS over it.
Yeah, it's really weird, it seems like the other two companies just chose not to support it on LG TVs, unless they are new models that have built-in Atmos decoding.
post #81 of 116 Old 01-02-2020, 05:09 PM

I was finally able to test ATMOS on my SL10YG finally. By asking over on the big ATMOS thread, I download the Dolby test trailers, and was able to watch them from my phone, via the Chromecast plugged into the HDMI2 port on the SL10. I had to use an app called "Cast Web Video" as VLC didn't work (just gave PCM)

The SL10 reports DOLBY ATMOS and produces truly impressive sound in the living room. Very happy.
post #82 of 116 Old 01-02-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Seems strange that such a recent TV model would be subject to audio limitations on ARC.
You need to play appropriate content which has a Dolby Atmos track.
Jack Ryan season 1 on Prime Video is Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.
The movies Bright and Bird Box on Netflix are Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.
Seems that Dolby Vision and Atmos come in pairs on those services...

Also, you can try grabbing some test files there: https://www.demolandia.net/cinema/do...ailers-hd.html

Quote:
The TV is smart, BUT, the audio that it transmits to the soundbar is only 2 channel (via optical - no ARC). So, I would get no surround sound.
"no ARC" meaning not available on your TV? Or willfully not using it?
Thought ARC was standard on every TV for the past 10 years... what's your TV model?
Optical should be capable of passing DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1.

Quote:
Also, I will swear the video quality is better via the Chromecast.
Well that would depend on your TV system wouldn't it
I'd actually say that even a Chromecast Ultra would barely be a match for a recent Smart TV streaming app.

Quote:
I will look into the NVidia Shield TV.
Very neat player. A little expensive but worth it if your system is limited... (i.e not eARC capable and thus cannot transport Dolby TrueHD...)
Would not recommend a Xiaomi Mi Box for a 4K HDR Dolby Vision/Atmos system.

Quote:
Correct, and mine is optical anyway, which is limited to 2 channel using PCM.
Again, optical isn't limited to 2 channel PCM. Quoting first Google search result:
"The types of digital audio signals that can be transferred by a digital optical connection include two-channel stereo PCM, Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital EX, DTS Digital Surround, and DTS ES."
post #83 of 116 Old 01-02-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:

"no ARC" meaning not available on your TV? Or willfully not using it?
Thought ARC was standard on every TV for the past 10 years... what's your TV model?
Optical should be capable of passing DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1.
"no ARC" meaning the TV has no ARC facility. Samsung UA50F - about 6 years old - displays HDMI-CEC (never mentions ARC, and never sends any to the AV receiver (I have had 2 different systems connected)

Quote:
Well that would depend on your TV system wouldn't it
I'd actually say that even a Chromecast Ultra would barely be a match for a recent Smart TV streaming app.
As I said, 6 years old. Netflix app is NOT as clear and Chromecast Netflix.

Quote:
Again, optical isn't limited to 2 channel PCM. Quoting first Google search result:
"The types of digital audio signals that can be transferred by a digital optical connection include two-channel stereo PCM, Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital EX, DTS Digital Surround, and DTS ES."
Output from TV is PCM - hence limited to 2 channel.
post #84 of 116 Old 01-03-2020, 01:43 AM

Quote:
"no ARC" meaning the TV has no ARC facility. Samsung UA50F - about 6 years old - displays HDMI-CEC (never mentions ARC, and never sends any to the AV receiver (I have had 2 different systems connected)
Could you please be a bit more specific about model?
I've found F6300 and F6400 are ARC capable. F5x00, not so much...

Quote:
Output from TV is PCM - hence limited to 2 channel.
On my old 2010 Samsung LED TV, it was possible to switch audio formats via the tools menu (I think). Toggling between PCM and Dolby Digital or PCM and DTS (depending on source).
post #85 of 116 Old 01-03-2020, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Could you please be a bit more specific about model?
I've found F6300 and F6400 are ARC capable. F5x00, not so much...

On my old 2010 Samsung LED TV, it was possible to switch audio formats via the tools menu (I think). Toggling between PCM and Dolby Digital or PCM and DTS (depending on source).

It is a UA50F5500AF.

I will look in the menus again for a way to switch it.
post #86 of 116 Old 01-03-2020, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Toggling between PCM and Dolby Digital or PCM and DTS (depending on source).

I did finally manage to switch it to Dolby while running the Prime app, but still no ATMOS, and the picture quality in both the Prime app, and Netflix is terrible. Chromecast is better.

I guess it's an old 'smart' TV and just not very good. I will try again when I eventually buy a new TV.
post #87 of 116 Old 01-03-2020, 05:00 AM

Quote:
I did finally manage to switch it to Dolby while running the Prime app, but still no ATMOS, and the picture quality in both the Prime app, and Netflix is terrible. Chromecast is better.
You will definitely not get Atmos over optical :-)
post #88 of 116 Old 01-03-2020, 05:59 AM

[QUOTE=gnuwinni;59038628]
Quote:
Seems strange that such a recent TV model would be subject to audio limitations on ARC.

Also, you can try grabbing some test files there: https://www.demolandia.net/cinema/do...ailers-hd.html
I've read some other threads, spoke to Netflix/Amazon as well and all concur these 2 apps won't play Atmos through ARC on my TV. Disney is just playing nicer it seems. Maybe they'll issue an update someday? I can get Atmos on Netflix hooking up my Windows laptop 10 laptop with an HDMI cable to the soundbar/tv at least.
post #89 of 116 Old 01-05-2020, 04:40 AM

[quote=WkittySkittyLBoF;59040404]
Quote:

I've read some other threads, spoke to Netflix/Amazon as well and all concur these 2 apps won't play Atmos through ARC on my TV. Disney is just playing nicer it seems. Maybe they'll issue an update someday? I can get Atmos on Netflix hooking up my Windows laptop 10 laptop with an HDMI cable to the soundbar/tv at least.

Do you need the premium 4k subscription on Netflix to get ATMOS. Seems that way to me.

Similar for Prime, unless it detects a 4K TV, seems to refuse to deliver ATMOS. Watching Jack Ryan here at 1080 gets Dolby Audio, but not ATMOS.
post #90 of 116 Old 01-05-2020, 12:51 PM

[quote=ssaddict;59049802]
Quote:
Do you need the premium 4k subscription on Netflix to get ATMOS. Seems that way to me.

Similar for Prime, unless it detects a 4K TV, seems to refuse to deliver ATMOS. Watching Jack Ryan here at 1080 gets Dolby Audio, but not ATMOS.
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066

Dolby Atmos on Netflix
Netflix supports streaming with Dolby Atmos audio on select titles.

What do I need to stream with Dolby Atmos audio?

A Dolby Atmos-capable audio system.

A plan that supports streaming in Ultra HD. You can check which plan you’re currently on at netflix.com/ChangePlan

A Netflix-capable device with Dolby Atmos support

Streaming quality set to High or Auto. More information about video quality settings can be found in our Playback Settings article.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page