Sl10yg Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 116 Old 01-05-2020, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 1
[QUOTE=gnuwinni;59051674]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaddict View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WkittySkittyLBoF View Post
Do you need the premium 4k subscription on Netflix to get ATMOS. Seems that way to me.

Similar for Prime, unless it detects a 4K TV, seems to refuse to deliver ATMOS. Watching Jack Ryan here at 1080 gets Dolby Audio, but not ATMOS.
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066

Dolby Atmos on Netflix
Netflix supports streaming with Dolby Atmos audio on select titles.

What do I need to stream with Dolby Atmos audio?

A Dolby Atmos-capable audio system.

A plan that supports streaming in Ultra HD. You can check which plan you’️re currently on at netflix.com/ChangePlan

A Netflix-capable device with Dolby Atmos support

Streaming quality set to High or Auto. More information about video quality settings can be found in our Playback Settings article.
Yeah Netflix has been picky with what's considered a "Netflix capable device with Dolby Atmos support". Even though my TV is fully capable of passing Atmos through ARC, since it passes it through with Disney+ no problem, however Netflix implements Atmos, it does not work with the built-in app on my TV. I have to stream from the Windows 10 app on my laptop through an HDMI cable to get it (because I'm too cheap to buy something like an Nvidia Shield it Apple TV 4K).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 116 Old 01-05-2020, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 3
[quote=WkittySkittyLBoF;59052556]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuwinni View Post

Yeah Netflix has been picky with what's considered a "Netflix capable device with Dolby Atmos support". Even though my TV is fully capable of passing Atmos through ARC, since it passes it through with Disney+ no problem, however Netflix implements Atmos, it does not work with the built-in app on my TV. I have to stream from the Windows 10 app on my laptop through an HDMI cable to get it (because I'm too cheap to buy something like an Nvidia Shield it Apple TV 4K).

What plan are you on? I am on the Standard HD plan. I am being led to believe it will not deliver ATMOS at all, and I need the Premium Ultra HD plan to get it - which is kind of a waste as my TV is 1080p
post #93 of 116 Old 01-07-2020, 10:42 PM

I'm so happy! Just as a test I downloaded a 2160p HDR BluRay rip with Atmos. 25GB file, so high quality, put it on a regular usb stick and the TV played it perfectly, it even triggered HDR and output Atmos through ARC to my soundbar. This is just a budget LG 4K HDR TV as well! I was trying to make everything so complicated when it was always this simple. It can't output Dolby True HD but Dolby Digital Plus w/ Atmos sounded awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 116 Old 01-07-2020, 10:43 PM

[QUOTE=ssaddict;59052620]
Quote:
Quote:

What plan are you on? I am on the Standard HD plan. I am being led to believe it will not deliver ATMOS at all, and I need the Premium Ultra HD plan to get it - which is kind of a waste as my TV is 1080p
That's correct, Netflix required the top package (which I have). Disney+/Prime both give you Atmos/4k with the regular package.
post #95 of 116 Old 01-07-2020, 10:49 PM

[quote=WkittySkittyLBoF;59064910]
Quote:

That's correct, Netflix required the top package (which I have). Disney+/Prime both give you Atmos/4k with the regular package.

I am not getting Atmos from Prime. I know my system works as I have played Atmos test files (from the Dolby site) and it all works correctly. So, it has to be the Prime Android app not delivering Atmos - just regular 5.1 Dolby.

Maybe, just a theory, but maybe it knows I am not playing at 4k res and that makes it decide to use the different, lesser, audio track. Not logical really, but it could be what's happening. Or maybe they just don't know how, or don't want, to play Atmos via a Chromecast. I know it can work because I used a different Android app to cast the Atmos demo files to the same Chromecast, and as I said, it works properly.
post #96 of 116 Old 01-08-2020, 09:32 AM

[QUOTE=ssaddict;59064914]
Quote:
Quote:

I am not getting Atmos from Prime. I know my system works as I have played Atmos test files (from the Dolby site) and it all works correctly. So, it has to be the Prime Android app not delivering Atmos - just regular 5.1 Dolby.

Maybe, just a theory, but maybe it knows I am not playing at 4k res and that makes it decide to use the different, lesser, audio track. Not logical really, but it could be what's happening. Or maybe they just don't know how, or don't want, to play Atmos via a Chromecast. I know it can work because I used a different Android app to cast the Atmos demo files to the same Chromecast, and as I said, it works properly.
I think it's just because Chromecast doesn't support Atmos with Netflix, just like my built on app on my LG TV doesn't. do you have a Windows 10 computer you can plug an HDMI cable into your system? That's all I get Atmos for Netflix. Just download the Dolby access app and the Netflix app from the Windows store.
post #97 of 116 Old 01-08-2020, 03:02 PM

[quote=WkittySkittyLBoF;59066538]
Quote:

I think it's just because Chromecast doesn't support Atmos with Netflix, just like my built on app on my LG TV doesn't. do you have a Windows 10 computer you can plug an HDMI cable into your system? That's all I get Atmos for Netflix. Just download the Dolby access app and the Netflix app from the Windows store.
I am talking about Prime in the above post. I accept that Netflix doesn't work, but Prime is supposed to have Atmos as well.
post #98 of 116 Old 01-08-2020, 03:10 PM

[QUOTE=ssaddict;59068422]
Quote:
Quote:

I am talking about Prime in the above post. I accept that Netflix doesn't work, but Prime is supposed to have Atmos as well.
My apologies, I think it all has to do with the device you're using to stream with. Chromecast doesn't support Prime/Atmos as far as I am aware. My friend is only outputting in 1080p and gets Atmos with his Roku stick no problem with Jack Ryan for example. My LG TV will do 4K but not Atmos with Prime.
post #99 of 116 Old 01-08-2020, 03:11 PM

[QUOTE=WkittySkittyLBoF;59068468]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My apologies, I think it all has to do with the device you're using to stream with. Chromecast doesn't support Prime/Atmos as far as I am aware. My friend is only outputting in 1080p and gets Atmos with his Roku stick no problem with Jack Ryan for example. My LG TV will do 4K but not Atmos with Prime.
So all you can really do is buy a different, compatible device to stream, unless anyone else has an option I am unaware of.
post #100 of 116 Old 01-08-2020, 03:13 PM

[quote=WkittySkittyLBoF;59068468]
Quote:

Thanks. That is the information I needed. So it's just Amazon not supporting a Google device? What a surprise Sad your 4k TV won't do Atmos. That's a double whammy for me - Chromecast and LG sound device

I'll keep Prime because it's by far the cheapest here, and it comes as part of the whole Prime bundle. Plus I am finding plenty of good stuff to watch (in Dolby 5.1 )
post #101 of 116 Old 01-08-2020, 03:15 PM

[quote=WkittySkittyLBoF;59068480]
Quote:

So all you can really do is buy a different, compatible device to stream, unless anyone else has an option I am unaware of.
I am thinking of maybe doing that. The pity is it won't integrate with the Google home infrastructure and voice commands probably.
post #102 of 116 Old 01-09-2020, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

I am thinking of maybe doing that. The pity is it won't integrate with the Google home infrastructure and voice commands probably.
A Shield TV would: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/
post #103 of 116 Old 01-09-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I'll check, thanks. I was most disappointed that the LG SL10YG did not work. The Chromecast built in to it is ONLY a Chromecast Audio, so I can not cast video, like Netflix and Prime to it. This is why I have a real Chromecast plugged in.
post #104 of 116 Old 01-10-2020, 06:16 PM

I finally listened to proper Atmos content, one movie from a BluRay and one from a downloaded movie. I have to say, you have not come close to experiencing what this soundbar can do without a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Atmos source (I'm assuming high quality DTS/DTS:X would be similar). I've been mostly listening to DD5.1 or DDP5.1 movies and TV shows, which sounded okay. Not sure if it's the high bitrate or the fact it's Atmos (or both), but it brought it to the next level, the sound was just so rich, detailed, expansive and powerful. Anyone else notice such a massive difference between say Netflix DDP Atmos versus Dolby TrueHD Atmos?

Previously I felt my Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 system was on par or maybe even better, but now I know the soundbar is a step above, just wish there was a way to get it to sound better with lower quality content.

Last edited by WkittySkittyLBoF; 01-10-2020 at 07:34 PM.
post #105 of 116 Old 01-14-2020, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I recently purchased the SL10YG and I am having issues with the sub dropping out. A google search seems to point to interference with 5ghz wifi. Is there a firmware update for this? I am having trouble figuring out how to run a firmware update.
post #106 of 116 Old 01-14-2020, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Need some help:

I have a LG C9 and bought a Sl10yg over the weekend. I have the SL10YG connected to the C9 HDMI1. I have a DIRECTV Receiver connected to HDMI1 on the SL10YG & XBOX ONE S connected to HDMI2 on the SL10YG. My issue is when I try and play games on the XBOX the screen goes black and I can't see the game. Now I can watch a movie using the XBOX no problem. I plug the XBOX into HDMI2 on the C9 and I can play the game no issue. It's just when I go thru the soundbar that I can't play games (as screen goes black). I have used different HD I cables and I also put the XBOX on HDMI1 on the Soundbar and still get the screen going black while trying to play a game. Any help would be appreciated

Those Who Attempt To Destroy Me, Shall Be Obliterated!!

Megatron
post #107 of 116 Old 01-14-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfame View Post
Need some help:

I have a LG C9 and bought a Sl10yg over the weekend. I have the SL10YG connected to the C9 HDMI1.
This doesn't sound right, you should connect the soundbar to the TV's ARC port ==> HDMI 2
post #108 of 116 Old 01-14-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Davidson View Post
I recently purchased the SL10YG and I am having issues with the sub dropping out. A google search seems to point to interference with 5ghz wifi. Is there a firmware update for this? I am having trouble figuring out how to run a firmware update.
That's interesting. I had assumed the link to the subwoofer was 2.4 GHz, same as bluetooth. However, if it is Wifi (at 5 GHz) causing the problem - maybe shifting the channel that your Wifi hub and devices are using will help.
post #109 of 116 Old 01-14-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
This doesn't sound right, you should connect the soundbar to the TV's ARC port ==> HDMI 2
I'll give this a try and will update

Edit:
After connecting the Soundbar to HDMI2 (eARC) portion still having the same issue with trying to play games on my Xbox. Seems the issue starts when HDR is triggered from the Xbox. Is the HDR triggering the Black screen.

Megatron

Last edited by Bigfame; 01-14-2020 at 05:56 PM.
post #110 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 12:35 AM

Quote:
I'll give this a try and will update

Edit:
After connecting the Soundbar to HDMI2 (eARC) portion still having the same issue with trying to play games on my Xbox. Seems the issue starts when HDR is triggered from the Xbox. Is the HDR triggering the Black screen.
Why not plug the Xbox directly into the TV ?
I'm reading the Xbox One S doesn't support Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, and also doesn't bitstream the audio, converting it to DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1... So I really see no advantage of plugging it directly into the Soundbar.
post #111 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
I'm reading the Xbox One S doesn't support Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, and also doesn't bitstream the audio,
I read that it does.

from late 2016...
"This week Xbox also announced that Blu-ray Bitstream pass-through, which includes Dolby Atmos support on Xbox One and Xbox One S, would be rolling out to Xbox Preview members. This feature enables all Xbox consoles to pass Blu-ray audio data untouched to a user’s audio equipment, allowing your audio receiver or other audio device to produce a high quality, immersive sound experience.

A top fan-requested feature, it enables Xbox users who have invested in pro-audio set-ups to experience the best possible audio from their Blu-ray movies. To use this feature, you will need to have your console connected over HDMI to a compatible audio receiver which supports decoding of popular Blu-ray audio formats."
post #112 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 02:26 AM

Quote:
I read that it does.

from late 2016...
"This week Xbox also announced that Blu-ray Bitstream pass-through, which includes Dolby Atmos support on Xbox One and Xbox One S, would be rolling out to Xbox Preview members. This feature enables all Xbox consoles to pass Blu-ray audio data untouched to a user’s audio equipment, allowing your audio receiver or other audio device to produce a high quality, immersive sound experience.

A top fan-requested feature, it enables Xbox users who have invested in pro-audio set-ups to experience the best possible audio from their Blu-ray movies. To use this feature, you will need to have your console connected over HDMI to a compatible audio receiver which supports decoding of popular Blu-ray audio formats."
Indeed... the review I read was a little dated it seems :-)
post #113 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I'm reading the Xbox One S doesn't support Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, and also doesn't bitstream the audio, converting it to DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1... So I really see no advantage of plugging it directly into the Soundbar.
I have plugged the XBOX straight into the TV (HDMI3) & it did work just fine. I can see and play a game. I just wanted to hear sound thru the soundbar. Guess I'll plus the XBOX back into the TV again. Thx for the info

Megatron
post #114 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I have plugged the XBOX straight into the TV (HDMI3) & it did work just fine. I can see and play a game. I just wanted to hear sound thru the soundbar. Guess I'll plus the XBOX back into the TV again. Thx for the info
Well with that setup you should definitely hear the game's sound on the soundbar (using ARC), otherwise there would be no point of purchasing such a product :-).
(And it's also better to have your gaming device plugged into the TV anyway)

But then, if you're using the Xbox to play Blu-Rays then you'll be faced with the limitations of the SL10YG which unfortunately does not support eARC and so does not transport Dolby TrueHD (with or without Atmos), DTS HD-MA and DTS:X... which you'll find on the audio tracks of all HD or UHD Blu-Rays :-(
post #115 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Well with that setup you should definitely hear the game's sound on the soundbar (using ARC), otherwise there would be no point of purchasing such a product :-).
(And it's also better to have your gaming device plugged into the TV anyway)

But then, if you're using the Xbox to play Blu-Rays then you'll be faced with the limitations of the SL10YG which unfortunately does not support eARC and so does not transport Dolby TrueHD (with or without Atmos), DTS HD-MA and DTS:X... which you'll find on the audio tracks of all HD or UHD Blu-Rays :-(
I can hear my games just can't see them as the screen goes black. I have played some 4K Blu-ray movies thru the XBOX and they play just fine. I can hear & see the movie. With movies I only have the soundbar & Subwoofer. I don't have the rears. Now Disney+ plays Atmos thru the soundbar. I'll just put the Xbox back on the TV (HDMI3).

Megatron
post #116 of 116 Old 01-15-2020, 09:42 PM

Is "Movie" mode actually "Dolby Surround"? As in the newest version of their "Pro Logic"? Or is it some sort of LG knock off? I can't see LG putting in the time, money and effort to create their own version of Dolby Surround if they could use the real one. I know DTS Virtual:X is included in the app, so I would assume Dolby Surround is too?

I know on LGs new top soundbar it lists Movie mode as being Dolby Surround but doesn't specify on the specs for the SL10YG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page