Sl10yg Owner's Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #121 of 148 Old 02-06-2020, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WkittySkittyLBoF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsik3115 View Post
So I decided to be brand loyal and get an SL10YG with my C9 with the rear speaker pack. But for some stupid reason, it does not have eArc support and I was too late to check out this subreddit.

1. Will SL10YG ever be updated to have eARC support
2. Am I doomed/did I get ripped off with SL10YG?
3. Is there a workaround? e.g. I use Nvidia Shield when I use the TV - no other HDMI inputs. Can I plug shield directly into SL10YG to get eARC quality audio without compromising video quality, or is there a tradeoff? I know Dolby Vision 30hz works when I plug it into the sound bar, but not 60hz - which I assume is OK. Are there any other drawbacks?
4. I paid close to $650 USD for the SL10YG + rear pack during black Friday so I think I got a decent deal.

Thanks guys
That is a great deal! Not sure about the eARC update, could happen, I wouldn't count on it though. My TV doesn't support eARC, but I find Atmos over Dolby Digital Plus via ARC pretty damn good for streaming services. As far as I know, eARC is not going to give better quality with streaming services anyway. If I plug a movie with Dolby TrueHD into my TV via USB stick, it will downgrade to DD+ Atmos, but is still a higher bitrate/quality then streaming services would provide, even streaming services over eARC. To be honest, I don't notice much of a difference compared to a BluRay movie with this setup (Dolby TrueHD transmitted over regular ARC as DD+ compared to unadulterated Dolby TueHD). As far as plugging your Shield directly into your soundbar to not sacrifice any audio quality, if you're okay with its Dolby Vision passthrough, I don't think there's any other downside! Should be a perfect workaround for your audio quality concerns.
Thanks so much for your response. When you ask Dolby vision passthrough, would quality of video be any higher if I transmit through ARC, or is it going to be better quality to plug into the Soundbar? Or vice versa? I can do vision 60hz on tv, or vision 30hz on soundbar - that's the only difference. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 148 Old 02-06-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So I decided to be brand loyal and get an SL10YG with my C9 with the rear speaker pack. But for some stupid reason, it does not have eArc support and I was too late to check out this subreddit.

3. Is there a workaround? e.g. I use Nvidia Shield when I use the TV - no other HDMI inputs. Can I plug shield directly into SL10YG to get eARC quality audio without compromising video quality, or is there a tradeoff? I know Dolby Vision 30hz works when I plug it into the sound bar, but not 60hz - which I assume is OK. Are there any other drawbacks?
4. I paid close to $650 USD for the SL10YG + rear pack during black Friday so I think I got a decent deal.

Thanks guys
That is a great deal! Not sure about the eARC update, could happen, I wouldn't count on it though. My TV doesn't support eARC, but I find Atmos over Dolby Digital Plus via ARC pretty damn good for streaming services. As far as I know, eARC is not going to give better quality with streaming services anyway. If I plug a movie with Dolby TrueHD into my TV via USB stick, it will downgrade to DD+ Atmos, but is still a higher bitrate/quality then streaming services would provide, even streaming services over eARC. To be honest, I don't notice much of a difference compared to a BluRay movie with this setup (Dolby TrueHD transmitted over regular ARC as DD+ compared to unadulterated Dolby TueHD). As far as plugging your Shield directly into your soundbar to not sacrifice any audio quality, if you're okay with its Dolby Vision passthrough, I don't think there's any other downside! Should be a perfect workaround for your audio quality concerns.
Thanks so much for your response. When you ask Dolby vision passthrough, would quality of video be any higher if I transmit through ARC, or is it going to be better quality to plug into the Soundbar? Or vice versa? I can do vision 60hz on tv, or vision 30hz on soundbar - that's the only difference. Thanks again
Also, are you saying Atmos on Netflix is the same on both ARC via tv and plugging shield into sound bar? There is no sound quality difference?
post #123 of 148 Old 02-07-2020, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Also, are you saying Atmos on Netflix is the same on both ARC via tv and plugging shield into sound bar? There is no sound quality difference?
No there won't be any difference in netflix as it uses compressed audio.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 148 Old 02-08-2020, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Did you make sure your sub is not near your router?

Originally my sub was on the other side of the room from the router and it cut out all the time. I bought some new furniture and moved some things around last week and now the sub is very close to the router and it still does it the same as always.

If you router interferes with the bluetooth connection between the center channel and the sub I would think that no matter where the sub is but if the router is close to the center that would be the problem. I can try moving the router but that's not gonna be easy for me.
post #125 of 148 Old 02-09-2020, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks guys
Exactly, Netflix does DD+ Atmos at 768kbps max, regular DD+ 5.1 at 640kbps, ARC can handle these no problem.

Last edited by WkittySkittyLBoF; 02-09-2020 at 10:56 AM.
post #126 of 148 Old 02-09-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotts4u View Post
Quote:

Originally my sub was on the other side of the room from the router and it cut out all the time. I bought some new furniture and moved some things around last week and now the sub is very close to the router and it still does it the same as always.

If you router interferes with the bluetooth connection between the center channel and the sub I would think that no matter where the sub is but if the router is close to the center that would be the problem. I can try moving the router but that's not gonna be easy for me.
I believe the wireless sub works over a dedicated 5G frequency, not Bluetooth. I remember reading that in a review somewhere.

Last edited by WkittySkittyLBoF; 02-09-2020 at 10:55 AM.
post #127 of 148 Old 02-09-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks guys
Regarding the quality of video, I would say that's up to you if you notice a difference or not, technically it would be higher quality/refresh going through ARC due to the 60hz but you may not notice a difference. You'll have to play around with different options to see what suits you best between video quality and audio quality. Are there any services or files (downloaded files with Dolby TrueHD, DTS Master Audio, etc. or BluRay discs) or are you strictly using streaming services?
post #128 of 148 Old 02-09-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:

That's very odd, I live in an apartment building with tons of interference and have not had a single issue, could something be defective?
post #129 of 148 Old 02-09-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks guys
Regarding the quality of video, I would say that's up to you if you notice a difference or not, technically it would be higher quality/refresh going through ARC due to the 60hz but you may not notice a difference. You'll have to play around with different options to see what suits you best between video quality and audio quality. Are there any services or files (downloaded files with Dolby TrueHD, DTS Master Audio, etc. or BluRay discs) or are you strictly using streaming services?
To be honest it's really just Netflix. In that case if there's no difference unless I do Bluray (and I use only the NVIDIA shield for content, all streamed through streaming services), then ARC would be better so I don't have to play around with changing over to TV. Unless I'm missing something then really appreciate your help guys, good to know that there is no audio or visual difference when streaming on streaming services, and that for simplicity may as well go with ARC.
post #130 of 148 Old 02-09-2020, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I wonder if it will be possible to buy the rear speakers with up firing atmos speakers that comes with the 2020 model sn11rg.
post #131 of 148 Old 02-09-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgilmore62 View Post
I wonder if it will be possible to buy the rear speakers with up firing atmos speakers that comes with the 2020 model sn11rg.
That would be awesome! It would probably just be a matter of a software update to be compatible. But, based on all the news announcements, it seems like they're just selling the regular SPK8-S seperate and the upfront Atmos rears are only included with their top model, I guess we'll find out soon enough.
post #132 of 148 Old 02-09-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks guys
To be honest it's really just Netflix. In that case if there's no difference unless I do Bluray (and I use only the NVIDIA shield for content, all streamed through streaming services), then ARC would be better so I don't have to play around with changing over to TV. Unless I'm missing something then really appreciate your help guys, good to know that there is no audio or visual difference when streaming on streaming services, and that for simplicity may as well go with ARC.
Np!
post #133 of 148 Old 02-16-2020, 03:49 PM

Tonight I am trying an experiment I had 2 routers right behind my TV one for my Arlo security system and one WIFI extender that has 5Mhz and I have unplugged them both. Ive been watching a movie for about 20 minutes and so far no subwoofer cutouts. Ill wait and see how it does after everything is completely warmed up etc and report back.
post #134 of 148 Old 02-16-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Tonight I am trying an experiment I had 2 routers right behind my TV one for my Arlo security system and one WIFI extender that has 5Mhz and I have unplugged them both. Ive been watching a movie for about 20 minutes and so far no subwoofer cutouts. Ill wait and see how it does after everything is completely warmed up etc and report back.
I don't know if it was on this forum or somewhere else but I remember reading someone who changed some settings on their router under the 5Ghz frequency, to not work on certain blocks of spectrum and it fixed the subwoofer they were having. I wish I could remember where that was.
post #135 of 148 Old 02-16-2020, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I turned of the 5Ghz radio on my router, and it solved the issue. Any chance you remember what was blocked out to get it to work? Any advice would be appreciated.
post #136 of 148 Old 02-16-2020, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I always go with Standard and use some customised settings.
post #137 of 148 Old 02-27-2020, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Couldn't play the Ultra 4K Gemini Man in HFR 60FPS through this sound bar using my LG UBK90 UHD Player without the colors being off. Works fine when plugged directly into the TV. Didn't want to use the ARC channel for audio. Hopefully they release a firmware for this sound bar to fix this problem. I'm currently on firmware OIMG.191202.006.
post #138 of 148 Old 02-28-2020, 03:35 AM

Lgsl10yg

Hi, we’ve had the LG soundbar for about 5 weeks. It’s connected by hdmi arc to our LG c9. We stream all content.
The sound is good but it cuts out for a split second sometimes at random places. Anyone else have this issue?
post #139 of 148 Old 02-29-2020, 12:51 AM
Old Newbie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethjohnsonart View Post
Hi, we’ve had the LG soundbar for about 5 weeks. It’s connected by hdmi arc to our LG c9. We stream all content.
The sound is good but it cuts out for a split second sometimes at random places. Anyone else have this issue?
Have ours about 3 weeks and have experienced the same issue twice (that I can remember) so far.
post #140 of 148 Old 02-29-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethjohnsonart View Post
Hi, we’️ve had the LG soundbar for about 5 weeks. It’️s connected by hdmi arc to our LG c9. We stream all content.
I haven't had this issue, are all software updates complete for soundbar and TV?
post #141 of 148 Old 03-05-2020, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkohler View Post
Have ours about 3 weeks and have experienced the same issue twice (that I can remember) so far.
Hi, this happens to us just about every time we stream a movie.
post #142 of 148 Old 03-05-2020, 04:40 AM

Quote:
I haven't had this issue, are all software updates complete for soundbar and TV?
Hi, this happens with ours just about every time we stream a movie.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don’t know how to check for updates. I’ll search the internet for it, thanks.
post #143 of 148 Old 03-15-2020, 06:06 AM

I turned off the 5Mghz router that was next to the sound bar and left it off for a week and all was well. Then I moved the router to a spot about 10' away and the subwoofer started cutting off again. So I moved the router into another room and I still have some instances but its less than it was when the router was sitting behind my TV.
post #144 of 148 Old 03-19-2020, 04:02 AM

Lg sl10y

I have the SL10Y and the OLEDC9 55inc. I have some problems/questions maybe someone can help me.

1 - When connected with optical the TV remote controls soundbar volume and volume level is shown on TV - this works fine
- when connected with HDMI ARC TV remote controls soundbar volume but is slow to respond and TV only shows +/- and not the level. Is this normal?

2 - I dont have Blu ray player yet. Do the ATMOS youtube videos have Atmos sound? Because the soundbar only shows ARC and pressing info shows PCM. Tried different HDMI cables but still the same.

Thanks
post #145 of 148 Old 03-22-2020, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
It is normal to see +/- on the display when soundbar is connected hdmi arc but you should see volume numbers on the soundbar display. I don't have any delays adjusting sound with my C9 connected to SL10YG via arc. YouTube is stereo only and doesn't support Dolby of any kind that I am aware of.
post #146 of 148 Old 03-22-2020, 05:13 PM

Thanks, I have managed to play Atmos sound now. Youtube does not support it as you said. But I had to set ATMOS=ON from TV speaker setting first then set output to HDMI Arc (eARC = ON). Without ATMOS=ON on TV the output sound from ARC was just PCM.

I still have the delay when changing volume from TV remote. Pressing the + (or -) several times you can seen the soundbar volume changing slowly. Tried V2.0 HDMI cable but still the same.
My soundbar is SL10Y (not SL10YG). Could this make any difference?
post #147 of 148 Old 03-22-2020, 05:23 PM

Atmos Sound Quality

I bought and returned a new and refurbished LG SL10YG. Overall I was very happy with them accept the Dolby Atmos playback and one having wifi problems. I found the dialog to be dull and overall sound effects to be underwhelming (either with arc compressed or bitstream from a DVD). When playing other Dolby formats I was quite happy. I was especially happy with music playback.

I tried a few other bars but always wanting to come back to the LG. So here lies my dilemma; do I buy another hoping that I just had two bad ones or should I move on?
I read some review sites stating the same issue. So is Dolby Atmos inherently bad? Hoping current owners can provide some feedback.
Thanks
post #148 of 148 Old 03-22-2020, 05:28 PM

I haven't tested many soundbars but cant complain about sound quality on SL10Y. Am not impressed with Atmos surround though - was expecting to hear sounds move around better but I guess thats why they sell the surround speakers afterall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
lgsl10yg , sound lgc9

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page