Soundbar advice for LG OLED C9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-19-2019, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Soundbar advice for LG OLED C9

I recently bought a 55” LG OLED C9 for our vacation home, and now need a soundbar that will work well with it. Unlike my home theater, where I have a receiver and Martin Logan towers and center channel and surrounds, in this small and more simple set up I will not have a receiver/amp and I will not have surrounds. I just want better sound and volume than what is coming out of the TV speakers, and this is a small to medium size room. It would also be important to me that the soundbar be controlled by the LG TV remote. I do not want to have to use a soundbar remote to turn it on and off separately from the TV, nor would I want to have to use the separate soundbar remote for adjusting the volume. Yes we will be watching movies, but also cable TV and having a remote in each hand changing channels and adjusting volume would be annoying, so I am willing to sacrifice some sound quality for convenience...I just want this to act like a TV with better sound.
I was looking at the LG SL8YG (not the larger 9 or 10 since this is only a 55” and I don’t have the table space for a longer soundbar). The LG is on a stand so it can swivel a bit as needed, so fitting the soundbar in front without blocking the remote signal and using the ATMOS upward directed speakers would not be a problem. I am hoping that the ATOS might give me a little more expansive sound since I won’t have rear surrounds. The SL8 is currently under $700 with its sub, and the other soundbars that they showed me at Best Buy, like a Martin Logan on sale and the Sonos Playbar, would be close to double the price with subs. And may not be controlled by the LG remote.
Questions:
1. Anyone have experience with the LG soundbars (8,9,10), especially the SL8 since that is what I would be getting, and not only it’s sound quality but also it’s functionality with the LG screen...does the LG TV remote control it’s power and volume reliably?
2. I saw a couple users complain that the Google Home would wake them up in the middle of the night stating that the mic was muted. Sounds like a bad situation. I assume that this can be disabled? Anyone have issues like this or other functionality issues with this unit?
3. Would you connect it to the LG C9 by HDMI or optical cable? I assume HDMI to take advantage of higher resolution sound formats, but I am very uninformed about these, and again, I just want the best sound given the constraints of my set up and the need for simplicity and convenience in my family using this to watch cable TV as well as streaming movies. (Gaming will not be an issue.)

I would hate to buy the LG SL8 for its compatibility with the C9 and convenience, and then find out it has other quirks or issues!

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.
Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-21-2019, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a C7 paired with Samsung ms750 using tv remote for on/off & vol control. Works flawlessly. You’ll need to turn on hdmi-cec. The bar blocks the tv so I raised it up with some rubber pads.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-24-2019, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgrenley View Post
I recently bought a 55” LG OLED C9 for our vacation home, and now need a soundbar that will work well with it.
I'm in the same boat, did you buy it? How do you find the immersion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-24-2019, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I ended up buying the Sony z9f (if I am remembering the model correctly) soundbar, as I wanted one with eARC, which the LG soundbars did not have, and I like the sound...not being very critical in this vacation home set up...but the LG remote turns on and controls the volume, but does not reliably turn it off.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-24-2019, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamexia View Post
I have a C7 paired with Samsung ms750 using tv remote for on/off & vol control. Works flawlessly. You’ll need to turn on hdmi-cec. The bar blocks the tv so I raised it up with some rubber pads.
Hey, do you have a link to the rubber pads you used? Can they be bought off Amazon? I'm going to need some to raise my C8 for a soundbar, thanks.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-25-2019, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgrenley View Post
I ended up buying the Sony z9f (if I am remembering the model correctly) soundbar, as I wanted one with eARC, which the LG soundbars did not have, and I like the sound...not being very critical in this vacation home set up...but the LG remote turns on and controls the volume, but does not reliably turn it off.
Were you able to test the Z9F soundbar against any others that could do eARC? Just curious if it topped a list of other options.

Best,
Mike
post #7 of 7 Old 11-25-2019, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have the 65” c9 and threw a Yamaha 108 on it ($120) and it was better in some ways than the built ins. Then I got a bug While walking by Magnolia Home Audio in Bet Buy and broke down and bought a Bowers and Wilkins Foundation Soundbar. Connects thru optical since I don’t care about atmos (doesn’t have it). It sounds amazing. No sub (though I have an svs sub (2000) and working out a way to split the optical out of the tv and go to a DAC to the sub which has crossover control. We’ll see. Early tests work with a cheap DAC but sub volume doesn’t adjust with the soundbar volume and keeps going to sleep, but works otherwise. Trying a more advanced DAC next. Anyway the B&W has an amazing sound. Testing various Dolby trailers on YouTube and this soundbar has pretty great positional audio. The mids and highs are super clear and my wife and I both hear dialogue much better than before. Definitely a good, though pricey buy. When paired with a sub it’s even more phenomenal sounding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page