Samsung HW-Q80R Sound Bar Opinions Needed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 06-19-2019, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Samsung HW-Q80R Sound Bar Opinions Needed

I have a Sony 55” 930 4K set and just got the Verizon Fios One dvr and really enjoying the 4K broadcasts of the women’s world cup. I am currently using a couple year old Samsung K550 soundbar and have been quite happy with it. But getting that new dvr got me thinking about these new ATMOS sound bars. I’ve kinda homed in on the new Q80 and want to know what others who may have them think as well as some other info.

Many retailers are not yet carrying them but I just came back from looking at one at a local Best Buy. It is a massive beast. I had seen the specs. But was still surprised. I got the user manual from the Samsung Australia site since I could not find anything on the US site. It would actually overlap my current shelving unit that my tv is on by a little less than 2 inches on either side. The overall size is a little daunting but I think I could adapt What do others think about the size?

Another concern I have is that, as is common, background sound effects and music can muffle spoken dialogue so for most movies I have been using Night mode on my current Samsung and that has worked well. But there is no night mode on these new units. What’s been the experience with dialogue on this and what mode works best for this?

I’m not interested in the paired speakers, I find that my current paired subwoofer placed a few feet behind my couch adds enough overall depth to be satisfying. So I would stick with that set up if I get a new sound bar. With the 80 it’s big enough that my wife will give me the side eye as it is without adding additional speakers in our apartment.

At Best Buy they had a demo 80 but it wasn’t working, that was discouraging and not a good sign. Getting this home and up to my apartment would also be a bit daunting. But I may order it from a retailer that ships by UPS. They bring my packages up to my apartment door.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by pappasbike; 06-19-2019 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Add a request
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-23-2019, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Looks like I’ll answer my own post. I purchased through Amazon and it was just delivered. I live in a 4th floor apartment and had hoped that UPS would deliver, they bring deliveries to my apartment door. But the USPS delivered leaving it downstairs in the mail room. Fortunately I have a hand truck that I keep in a storage room. I really needed it, this thing is a beast. Just the sound bar itself is heavier than any other one I’ve ever messed with. Everything paired up with no issue. I have a Sony XBR930D and its remote as well as my Fios dvr remote can adjust the volume on the bar.

I don’t have the expertise of many on these forums, I can only judge based on comparing this to my existing Samsung soundbar, a K550 that I purchased in January of 2017. I had no real complaints about it but the difference with this Q80 is absolutely stunning. I’ve not changed any settings or modes other than volume. I was extremely impressed from the second I turned it on, even before plugging in the subwoofer. I think many would be very pleased even without the subwoofer. I do keep the woofer behind our seating position, our couch. I did this previously to add some depth and somewhat make up for no rear speakers. Honestly with this thing I would never bother with rear speakers. Again, this is no technical review, I’m watching the movie Red on TNT this afternoon and I’ve been amazed. The voices are so clear that my concern about this when watching movies may never be an issue even without trying the other modes. As I had mentioned there is no Night mode which I had used on the old bar to make dialogue better without cranking the volume way up. It was recommended to me to try the Adaptive mode to deal with this but that may not be necessary from what I’ve heard so far.
post #3 of 21 Old 06-29-2019, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappasbike View Post
Looks like I’ll answer my own post. I purchased through Amazon and it was just delivered. I live in a 4th floor apartment and had hoped that UPS would deliver, they bring deliveries to my apartment door. But the USPS delivered leaving it downstairs in the mail room. Fortunately I have a hand truck that I keep in a storage room. I really needed it, this thing is a beast. Just the sound bar itself is heavier than any other one I’ve ever messed with. Everything paired up with no issue. I have a Sony XBR930D and its remote as well as my Fios dvr remote can adjust the volume on the bar.

I don’t have the expertise of many on these forums, I can only judge based on comparing this to my existing Samsung soundbar, a K550 that I purchased in January of 2017. I had no real complaints about it but the difference with this Q80 is absolutely stunning. I’ve not changed any settings or modes other than volume. I was extremely impressed from the second I turned it on, even before plugging in the subwoofer. I think many would be very pleased even without the subwoofer. I do keep the woofer behind our seating position, our couch. I did this previously to add some depth and somewhat make up for no rear speakers. Honestly with this thing I would never bother with rear speakers. Again, this is no technical review, I’m watching the movie Red on TNT this afternoon and I’ve been amazed. The voices are so clear that my concern about this when watching movies may never be an issue even without trying the other modes. As I had mentioned there is no Night mode which I had used on the old bar to make dialogue better without cranking the volume way up. It was recommended to me to try the Adaptive mode to deal with this but that may not be necessary from what I’ve heard so far.
Thanks for the info unfortunately there isn't much out there on the Q80r it seems most reviews/talk are around the Q70r and Q90r. Have you tried adaptive mode? How are you liking the bar so far? Any issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 06-29-2019, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just installed my Q80R earlier today and I love it. Returned my Nakamichi because customer support was horrible. I have this setup with my LGB7 and so far no regrets.

Standard sound is the original audio of the media you're playing, I find this to be great.

Adaptive is the audio that the soundbar changes based on your environment and sound, sometimes I find this to be better, but I generally stay on Standard most of the time.
post #5 of 21 Old 06-29-2019, 05:05 PM

Trying to decide if I want to go for the 80r or the Sony st5000 I can get the 80r for about 800 and the st5000 for 930 the 80r is attractive as I can get rears later down the road. I've not heard the 80r but I do like the idea of the adaptive sound as I do a lot of low volume stuff when the kids are sleeping. Does the 80r bluetooth support headphones or is it just to receive a signal to play thru the bar?
post #6 of 21 Old 06-29-2019, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

@jmgfotos Thanks, I have left it in Standard primarily. But some setting I altered on my tv caused an audio sync problem with the soundbar. I’ve been playing around with different options and somehow caused the video to lead the audio. It’s not something that the sync setting on the soundbar can fix, it only makes it worse. When I first installed the unit I wasn’t having any sync issues so I assume it’s something I messed up. I changed the Dolby Dynamic Range setting to Compressed, which seemed to enhance spoken dialogue, and Digital Audio Out to an Auto setting from PCM.

But as I said before this thing is awesome compared to anything I’ve used before. And there’s plenty of bass on a setting of “0” as well as having the subwoofer on “0” as well. I turned an Avengers movie up and could fell my couch vibrate, had to turn it down quickly. I live in an apartment building and don’t want to have my neighbors knocking on the door. I just need to get my missteps corrected.
post #7 of 21 Old 06-29-2019, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynerd View Post
Trying to decide if I want to go for the 80r or the Sony st5000 I can get the 80r for about 800 and the st5000 for 930 the 80r is attractive as I can get rears later down the road. I've not heard the 80r but I do like the idea of the adaptive sound as I do a lot of low volume stuff when the kids are sleeping. Does the 80r bluetooth support headphones or is it just to receive a signal to play thru the bar?
I don’t see anything in the manual about the Bluetooth function of the soundbar connecting to headphones. Someone else will have to chime in if thats possible. I will say that the size of this thing is massive. I didn’t see anything at Best Buy that was close to this in size. And with all those speakers it is hard to keep the volume low. I don’t find that adaptive mode helps me out as much as Night mode did on my previous Samsung. On that one I could hear dialogue better in Night mode while other sounds were diminished a little. Adaptive mode doesn't do much for dialogue but you will get all the effects even when reducing the overall volume.
post #8 of 21 Old 06-30-2019, 03:49 PM

Picked up an open box Q80 from best buy. It sounded really good in the store. Setting it up now. We will see how it sounds at home.
post #9 of 21 Old 06-30-2019, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Let us know what you think. I did find that Adaptive mode did help with my tv (Fios) channel broadcasts in enhancing dialogue while being able to reduce volume. Special effects were still quite present but controlled enough not to disturb my neighbors. I had tried that on movies that I was watching through an Apple TV and it did not really help. Special effects and music were still quite dramatic while dialogue was very low. I had to keep the remote in my hand to alter the volume between scenes.
post #10 of 21 Old 07-01-2019, 12:37 PM

So I installed the unit and had a test run. Let me preface to say I'm no audiophile.

I watched some TV, music and a movie. I didn't get to playing a game just yet.

The sound is very nice. I quite like it. I watched the movie Us and their Dolby Atmos track thru my Xbox One X. I didn't really notice much sound above me. Often however the soundtrack felt as though it was surrounding me, which was pretty great. I didn't really get the feeling of sound coming behind me, which I don't think I could expect that from a soundbar with no rears.

Sub felt a bit too overpowering even on +3. I suppose I could lower it though, but that seems boring.

The interface sucks. It really needs an OSD to be nice. In any event it doesn't have a ton of features to plow thru. The app for the phone is pretty basic.

The bar is too high for my TV stand so it blocks a small part of the screen and the IR, which requires me to stand up with my remote to do things on my TV. It would be less of an issue if the soundbar turned on the TV but it doesn't so that's pretty annoying.

There is no set up for my Harmony remote. I did choose the Q90R as that was available and it has worked. What it's lacking however is discrete codes for the functions.

I'm really on the fence on this soundbar and the Sony HT ST-5000, there are a number of features on the Sony I would like to have however I think that this soundbar's surround capabilities with its side firing speakers sounds better than the Sony.

I'm about 80% sure I'm going to take this back and go with the Sony as I can get the Sony for less than $200 more.

Decisions decisions.....
post #11 of 21 Old 07-01-2019, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi, I bought HW-Q80R last month. So far, I'm pretty happy about it. Check out some cool ATMOS "demos" from thedigitaltheater.com/dolby-trailers/ I was able to test ATMOS from my Samsung TV via DD+ ATMOS and from a Blu ray player directly connected to the soundbar. Unfortunately my TV doesn't support eARC so I am not able to fully test lossless Dolby Atmos, but nevertheless DD+ ATMOS is still jaw-dropping.
post #12 of 21 Old 07-01-2019, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

@maynerd I agree that the interface is inadequate. I had a bigger screen on the K550 that this replaced. It was easier to see my setting selections. I use my Fios One remote which turns all 3 devices on or off with just one button so that’s been quite nice. And if you have the right content that subwoofer is almost scary, I have it set to 0, sometimes 1. I have it placed about 8 feet behind our couch and when it goes off, between it and the bass on the bar, my eardrums vibrate. I have to be quite careful since I’m in an apartment building and I do not want to be “that” neighbor.

The app gave me fits at first because it constantly lost connection with the soundbar. I am mainly interested in using it to set up the connection of the soundbar to my WiFi network. Which I was able to accomplish, but afterwards I could barely do anything else since it kept dropping its connection. But several firmware versions were released after I set all this up and the soundbar picked up each one without any issue, so that automatic update function works very well. Whether it was one of those firmware updates or a lunar cycle the app has maintained a solid connection to the bar for days now.

I’m pleased enough with all this that I’m thinking of ordering the 4K Apple TV to take advantage of its capabilities. Although it seems to get the ATMOS effect I’ll have to run the ATV to the soundbar, I’ve always had my current one connected to my tv. Apparently ATMOS doesn't function through the ARC connections.
post #13 of 21 Old 07-01-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
@maynerd I agree that the interface is inadequate. I had a bigger screen on the K550 that this replaced. It was easier to see my setting selections. I use my Fios One remote which turns all 3 devices on or off with just one button so that’s been quite nice. And if you have the right content that subwoofer is almost scary, I have it set to 0, sometimes 1. I have it placed about 8 feet behind our couch and when it goes off, between it and the bass on the bar, my eardrums vibrate. I have to be quite careful since I’m in an apartment building and I do not want to be “that” neighbor.

The app gave me fits at first because it constantly lost connection with the soundbar. I am mainly interested in using it to set up the connection of the soundbar to my WiFi network. Which I was able to accomplish, but afterwards I could barely do anything else since it kept dropping its connection. But several firmware versions were released after I set all this up and the soundbar picked up each one without any issue, so that automatic update function works very well. Whether it was one of those firmware updates or a lunar cycle the app has maintained a solid connection to the bar for days now.

I’m pleased enough with all this that I’m thinking of ordering the 4K Apple TV to take advantage of its capabilities. Although it seems to get the ATMOS effect I’ll have to run the ATV to the soundbar, I’ve always had my current one connected to my tv. Apparently ATMOS doesn't function through the ARC connections.
The app seems relatively pointless other than the fact that since they have no OSD for this soundbar they had to build an app to allow for some function. It feels like an afterthought to be honest perhaps it's their sneaky way to get people to use their smart things products. Not sure why they didn't implement an OSD. Seems silly.

And you are correct ATMOS pass thru ARC.
post #14 of 21 Old 07-09-2019, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quick question:

I just bought the Q80R sound bar to go with a Samsung Q90 QLED TV. Both are still in the box pending some changes I need to make in the room where I will install both items. That aside, once I hook both together is there anything I need to know so that I can use them with my Verizon Fios remote? Normally, I simply enter the manufacturing code into the Verizon remote and I am off and running. Does the addition of this sound bar complicate this task? Thank you! BA
post #15 of 21 Old 07-09-2019, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

@ohrbrcko I have the Verizon Fios One dvr and one problem I had was an audio delay/lag. It was puzzling because it wasn’t noticeable on some channels and significant on others. I posted here and elsewhere and got a variety of suggestions. Today for the first time I connected the dvr to the soundbar directly. The soundbar and tv remained connected by the ARC HDMI ports. This seems to have solved the lag. I did have to power cycle all devices. But, fingers crossed, everything seems to be working properly. My tv is a Sony. And I also have an Apple TV 4K connected to HDMI 1 on the soundbar while the Fios box is connected to HDMI 2. So to watch my Apple TV or the Fios output I change the source inputs on the sound bar while the tv remains on the ARC input. You can try running all that to the tv first, that’s how I initially had it set up until the audio lag became annoying enough to try something different.

Whichever way I had it all set up my Fios remote can change the volume on the soundbar, and using the Fios power button, the One dvr remote only has one power button, turns all 3 devices, soundbar, dvr, tv, on and off with one push. You might have to go the CEC option on your tv, on Sony it’s Bravia sync. But I really didn’t have to do anything. The ARC connection will sync the tv and soundbar as far as on/off. And my original Fios remote as well as my new one worked with my Sony set out of the box. Probably the same with Ssmsung or you might need that code.

From what I can tell the tv gets the volume change signal from the remote and delivers that to the soundbar. If I don’t have the remote positioned where the tv gets it there’s no response from the soundbar. But I pretty much only need the one remote, the Fios, to control everything I need. If I need to switch to my Apple TV then I need the soundbar’s remote to switch inputs and the ATV’s remote to control it. There may be a better way for all this but this works for me.
post #16 of 21 Old 07-09-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
@ohrbrcko I have the Verizon Fios One dvr and one problem I had was an audio delay/lag. It was puzzling because it wasn’t noticeable on some channels and significant on others. I posted here and elsewhere and got a variety of suggestions. Today for the first time I connected the dvr to the soundbar directly. The soundbar and tv remained connected by the ARC HDMI ports. This seems to have solved the lag. I did have to power cycle all devices. But, fingers crossed, everything seems to be working properly. My tv is a Sony. And I also have an Apple TV 4K connected to HDMI 1 on the soundbar while the Fios box is connected to HDMI 2. So to watch my Apple TV or the Fios output I change the source inputs on the sound bar while the tv remains on the ARC input. You can try running all that to the tv first, that’s how I initially had it set up until the audio lag became annoying enough to try something different.

Whichever way I had it all set up my Fios remote can change the volume on the soundbar, and using the Fios power button, the One dvr remote only has one power button, turns all 3 devices, soundbar, dvr, tv, on and off with one push. You might have to go the CEC option on your tv, on Sony it’s Bravia sync. But I really didn’t have to do anything. The ARC connection will sync the tv and soundbar as far as on/off. And my original Fios remote as well as my new one worked with my Sony set out of the box. Probably the same with Ssmsung or you might need that code.

From what I can tell the tv gets the volume change signal from the remote and delivers that to the soundbar. If I don’t have the remote positioned where the tv gets it there’s no response from the soundbar. But I pretty much only need the one remote, the Fios, to control everything I need. If I need to switch to my Apple TV then I need the soundbar’s remote to switch inputs and the ATV’s remote to control it. There may be a better way for all this but this works for me.
Thank you Pappasbike, very informative. What I may do is start by hooking up the DVR to TV (as I do now for existing TV) and see what that is like and then go your route and hook DVR to Sound bar with HDMI from Sound bar to TV. It will be another two to three weeks before my living room is ready to put in the TV. Currently I have a shelf system that can only handle 55 inch TV and I am going to increase capacity to 65'' and larger. So lots going on at the moment.
post #17 of 21 Old 07-09-2019, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Good luck. I saw some other suggestions to deal with the audio lag without changing the input from the tv. But those all involved some modifications of sound settings on the tv that would diminish the audio quality. I didn’t want to do that after paying all this money for my Q80. Also using an optical cable instead of HDMI might have worked but again you lose some potential audio quality. Anyway the soundbar is amazing as I’m sure the tv is too.

Last edited by pappasbike; 07-09-2019 at 02:45 PM.
post #18 of 21 Old 07-12-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1697 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
Quote:
I don’t see anything in the manual about the Bluetooth function of the soundbar connecting to headphones. Someone else will have to chime in if thats possible....
Bluetooth is input/receiving only. You should set up Bluetooth on your Apple & DVR for your headphones. I run my AppleTV thru my N950s HDMI 2 port (same basic Samsung Atmos bar) and when the headphones are active the bar is enactive. A necessary feature since you don't have AV pass through if the SB is turned off. A lot of AVRs have true passthrough when you don't want full speakers.
post #19 of 21 Old 07-25-2019, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone know if this soundbar can preserve TV settings from the two HDMI inputs? This is probably more of a general sounder with HDMI inputs question, but I do have the HW-Q80R. My television is a 65" Samsung Q80R as well.

My issue is that I have the TV hooked up via ARC to the soundbar. My 4k Apple TV is plugged into HDMI1, my PS4 is hooked into HDMI2. When I had my PS4 plugged directly into the television, it would recognize the system when turned on and switch to the appropriate input which was set to Game Mode. Now that I have it plugged into the soundbar, the television doesn't change settings. It seems to preserve whatever I have set, regardless of the device I am using. This is a bummer, as I definitely do not want to adjust picture settings every time I use the PS4.

Thanks!
post #20 of 21 Old 07-26-2019, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

@fieldegl1 I have an Apple TV 4K and a Fios One dvr connected to HDMI 1 and 2 on the soundbar. I just checked my picture settings on my Sony XBR55X930D tv. I have most of the settings duplicated on the 2 inputs but the ones that are different remain independent of each other on each input. So at least on my tv the different settings are preserved between the inputs on the soundbar.
post #21 of 21 Old 07-31-2019, 05:22 AM

Good news. After a long week of construction in the family room, I was able to finally hook up my Q80 soundbar and my Q90 65 inch QLED. All went well. Actually used the app on my phone to do the setup. The TV and soundbar are playing nice with one another. Not necessarily noticing any lip-synching issues. The Q80 soundbar is a really good, very crisp sound with lots of depth. You actually get a nice sense of surround sound. The subwoofer is no SVS or HSU but it does add to the overall listening experience. Now I think I am done for the moment spending my kids inheritance. :-)

Quick Update: I think I detect a fraction of a second of lip-synching / lag. Not too terribly bad at all. I have seen worse with the sound bar I replaced. For me, it is not a real distraction/problem but I will continue to monitor its presence.

Last edited by ohrbrcko; 08-05-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page