Q90R Soundbar not turning on with TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Jordyn11
  • 1 Post By Damar1979
  • 1 Post By ballyerhead

post #1 of 10 Old 06-22-2019, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Q90R Soundbar not turning on with TV

Hey guys,

maybe this has been answered, maybe not but: I just got the Q90R soundbar and i love it. It's connect to a un55mu7600f TV via HDMI ARC (HDMI 3) and has a 4k blu ray (another samsung i think it's the 8500 or something) and a playstation 4 pro(4k) going into the two HDMI in on the soundbar.

I understand that connecting via HDMI ARC doesn't allow the TV and Soundbar to turn on with the TV remote, to do so you need to connect the soundbar to TV with optical.

My question is why? Isn't the point of Anynet+to allow similar devices to easily connect and be controlled? Maybe I am misunderstanding Anynet+ . Are Anynet+ and ARC even the same thing? If I switch to a digital optical from the soundbar to the TV what functionality do i lose if any? Is the sound quality better with HDMI or optical? I understand it's somewhat subjective but still from a data point, which way is best?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-22-2019, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantric View Post
Hey guys,

maybe this has been answered, maybe not but: I just got the Q90R soundbar and i love it. It's connect to a un55mu7600f TV via HDMI ARC (HDMI 3) and has a 4k blu ray (another samsung i think it's the 8500 or something) and a playstation 4 pro(4k) going into the two HDMI in on the soundbar.

I understand that connecting via HDMI ARC doesn't allow the TV and Soundbar to turn on with the TV remote, to do so you need to connect the soundbar to TV with optical.

My question is why? Isn't the point of Anynet+to allow similar devices to easily connect and be controlled? Maybe I am misunderstanding Anynet+ . Are Anynet+ and ARC even the same thing? If I switch to a digital optical from the soundbar to the TV what functionality do i lose if any? Is the sound quality better with HDMI or optical? I understand it's somewhat subjective but still from a data point, which way is best?

Thanks
Mine turns on when I turn on my Q9FN with the TV remote. Have you tried resetting it? Are you sure its linked to your TV properly?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Old 06-24-2019, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just installed the Q80R sound bar connected to a Sony tv by HDMI(ARC). It both turns on and turns off anytime the tv does by any remote or manually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-25-2019, 05:21 PM

What do settings does anyone have set on their soundbar and rears for best optimal performance?

post #5 of 10 Old 06-25-2019, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damar1979 View Post
What do settings does anyone have set on their soundbar and rears for best optimal performance?

That will be primarily dependent on the config of your room. For me, I bump up the centre and rear tops to +3 and the rears to +6 to help with the immersion. I find the subbie is fine at default settings but your mileage may vary.
Damar1979 and ballyerhead like this.

Last edited by Jordyn11; 06-25-2019 at 11:38 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-30-2019, 05:23 PM

Question, is it me, or does the up firing atmos speakers sound louder from the rears than the front bar? Does anyone else feel that way?

ballyerhead likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-05-2019, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Question, is it me, or does the up firing atmos speakers sound louder from the rears than the front bar? Does anyone else feel that way?

Yes, but in most cases the rear’s are closer to the listening position and don’t have as much competition from the many drivers and output points from the main bar.
I’m loving this system now that the software has corrected the rear issues.
I have my rear speakers to the side of my main listening position (couch). The ceiling is raked so the high side has a speaker on top of a piano and the low side has the opposite speaker on an ikea low book case. I find both speakers blend better into the room as most people with kids are asking for trouble with those spindly stands behind the couch. I still get plenty of immersion overhead. Would be better if each side could be calibrated but hey it’s a plug and play system that has exceptional sound! I’m just under 4 meters from main bar and 2.5 meters from the sides. The room is 13.5 meters long and still can’t put volume over 50 even in party mode! If this system could be individually calibrated and the Subwoofer had manual controls I’d give it a 10/10 as it’s still expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 10 Old 07-05-2019, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

I forgot to mention, go to the Dolby site and follow the links to downloads and grab Amaze Trailer and the Test Tone option. There’s a selection of test tones - you need the 7.1.4 test. This will highlight your front top firing speakers as part of its run of all your speakers individually it spends a reasonable amount of time on each speaker in the loop. Sadly if your adjusting remember you will be adjusting the “pair” when you go up or down in the speaker volume settings even though the test will play a tone from each individual speaker. It’s still helpful in terms of estimating volume levels to be set.
Hope this helps. We need a Q90 Owner’s page now all the faults have been rectified for now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Damar1979 likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-04-2019, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I’ve had the Q90R TV for a couple of months and experienced really bad lip sync issues with my Sonos soundbar. So I’ve now got the Q90R soundbar. Everything is fine except for the same issue originally reported here. The soundbar goes off when the TV is switched off but doesn’t switch on with the TV remote. I’ve tried every setting I can find and have checked for updates on both. Has anyone found a fix for this?
post #10 of 10 Old 08-13-2019, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I am a Q80R sound bar owner. I have mine connected to a Q90 Samsung QLED. No issues at the moment. TV has full control of the Q80R. I think it helps that the Q90R has the one connect box. The HDMI from the STB goes into Q90's HDMI (non ARC) and the Q90's HDMI (ARC) is connected to the Q80R sound bar HDMI (ARC). There is a slight synch issue but I can live with it. I use my Verizon remote for the Q90 TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars