Samsung Q90R Soundbar - such good sound - SO many bugs - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #331 of 359 Old 11-26-2019, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up the Q80r from Frys last week. Finally hooked it up and I'm having some issues getting ARC to work. TV is a lg c8p oled. I am intermittently able to get the soundbar to play through arc. I have not pinpointed what I am doing though to allow it. TV settings are all set up correctly. Tried a different HDMI cable, nope. Works fine with optical but I specifically purchased for the ATMOS support that won't work over optical. Samsung tech support is useless, they want me to ship it to them for repair. Firmware is up to date on the SB and the TV. Not sure what else to do. Wanted to see if anyone has any tips before I pack it up back up and return to Frys.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 359 Old 11-26-2019, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdnlc View Post
Did u ever have issues with the rear speakers and sub not working after disabling BT? Been so busy that just had the chance to do this, lol.
If i pair them manually they work again but what a pain to do it manually every time I turn on the soundbar.
I think I had one disconnect in the past two months.

When I had to pair manually, the easiest way was just to power the sub off, wait a few seconds, then power it back on. Pretty much worked every time. Didn’t have to power off the other stuff, push red buttons, wait for flashing lights, etc.

You can put the sub on a small power strip to make it more convenient.

Nvidia Shield - Zidoo X9S - HTPC/MPC-HC
Oppo 203 - Samsung HW-N950 - 7.2.4
LG 86UH9500
post #333 of 359 Old 11-26-2019, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have the Q90R tv and Q80 soundbar...and have a terrible lip sync problem with my Optimum cable box (1080i with Dolby Digital). I have a Roku Ultra and the cable box connected to the tv via HDMI, and the tv and sound bar are connected with HDMI ARC.

Both the TV's internal apps and Roku (checked Netflix and Prime Video), set to Dolby Digital, played back perfectly...no lip sync issue. So, it's just the cable box.

Anyone experience a similar problem? Is there any way to fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 359 Old 11-27-2019, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Connect to the soundbar, then to the TV.
Sina Moghbel likes this.
post #335 of 359 Old 11-27-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post
Connect to the soundbar, then to the TV.
Thanks. I tried that, and the lip sync was better, but there was no DD option in the settings (like there was when the cable box was connected directly to the tv). It was only PCM, but using HDMI, DD should have been an option.

I'm trying to figure out if it's the tv or the soundbar that is the problem.
post #336 of 359 Old 11-27-2019, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcab17 View Post
Thanks. I tried that, and the lip sync was better, but there was no DD option in the settings (like there was when the cable box was connected directly to the tv). It was only PCM, but using HDMI, DD should have been an option.

I'm trying to figure out if it's the tv or the soundbar that is the problem.
The problem may be that you need the long promised eARC update (you and millions of others, lol)
post #337 of 359 Old 11-27-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post
The problem may be that you need the long promised eARC update (you and millions of others, lol)

Haha...somehow, that doesn't make me feel any better.
post #338 of 359 Old 11-27-2019, 12:31 PM

When a cable box (Dolby Digital) is connected to the soundbar with HDMI, shouldn't the sound be Dolby Digital? For some reason, the sound settings on the Q90R tv only lists PCM (the tv and soundbar are connected via HDMI ARC). When the cable box is connected to the tv, DD is available in sound settings (but lip-sync is so bad, I can't use that connection). Not sure if I'm doing something wrong.
post #339 of 359 Old 11-29-2019, 04:10 PM

Where is the IR Receiver?

Does anyone know where the IR receiver is on this soundbar? I'll be programming a URC remote that works with an RF converter, and I need to stick an IR repeater on the soundbar IR receiver.
post #340 of 359 Old 12-01-2019, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcab17 View Post
I have the Q90R tv and Q80 soundbar...and have a terrible lip sync problem with my Optimum cable box (1080i with Dolby Digital). I have a Roku Ultra and the cable box connected to the tv via HDMI, and the tv and sound bar are connected with HDMI ARC.

Both the TV's internal apps and Roku (checked Netflix and Prime Video), set to Dolby Digital, played back perfectly...no lip sync issue. So, it's just the cable box.

Anyone experience a similar problem? Is there any way to fix it?
I just purchased both items and have the same issue with my Fios box.
post #341 of 359 Old 12-02-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
Damn...I'm hoping it's not just a Samsung thing (been seeing enough other product threads complaining about similar problems). I'm toying with the idea of just going out of the tv to the soundbar with an optical cable...and settling for DD (assuming the Samsung TV will send DD via optical).
post #342 of 359 Old 12-06-2019, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Anyone using the Q90 soundbar with their LG OLED? I’m debating on getting one for my C9 77’’ and like to know how the compatibly for the two would be like, etc?

Also, any leads on best prices right now? Listed I currently see this from PC MAG https://shop.pcmag.com/products/sams..._source=tbsite $970

Greentoe offered $840 last month but I wasn’t ready to purchase until I received the tv and now best offer so far is $890 from them.
post #343 of 359 Old 12-06-2019, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
earlier in this thread someone commented that using the optical input caused issues with ARC. I thought that maybe the reason was that it was designed as an input for those without HDMI. My questions is whether this input can also be used for connecting a CD player, and if that would circumvent use of ARC.
post #344 of 359 Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Can anyone with experience with both this soundbar as well as the Nakamichi 7.2.4 tell me how they compare?
I currently have a Nakamichi and have been having some issues so was wondering how the Samsung compares...
post #345 of 359 Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
I can tell you that switching the audio of the cable or fios box to 2-channel fixes the problem...DD is the issue. DD sounds much better than simple stereo, so I'm not willing to do that. I also have a Roku box that can output DD, DD+, and Atmos, so I certainly wouldn't want to set it to 2-channel audio, and lose multi-channel codecs.

The other fix is to connect the cable or fios box to one of the HDMI inputs on the soundbar, and use the ARC connection for the soundbar and tv. This is how I have it set up now, but I can't get the tv to recognize both HDMI inputs on the soundbar (it seems to "see" the soundbar as a single source, so I can get either the cable box or the Roku to work, never both), so I have to give up the Roku box (and any other external device I might add in the future).

I suppose another option would be to replace the Samsung soundbar with one that has multiple HDMI inputs (that actually work).
post #346 of 359 Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vg247 View Post
Anyone using the Q90 soundbar with their LG OLED? I’m debating on getting one for my C9 77’’ and like to know how the compatibly for the two would be like, etc?

Also, any leads on best prices right now? Listed I currently see this from PC MAG https://shop.pcmag.com/products/sams..._source=tbsite $970

Greentoe offered $840 last month but I wasn’t ready to purchase until I received the tv and now best offer so far is $890 from them.
Use it with my LGB9 and it works great.
Vg247 likes this.
post #347 of 359 Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM

Liked: 14
ok....so i am overly confused with my first foray here into Atmos....I just bought a q70r QLED and a hww q90r sound bar. Running Arc with my Direct TV into my sound bar. When using the Netflix app I see shows showing Atmos sound. I have Atmos enabled on the TV.....when I play the videos, it just giove me the options of PCM, Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital+....how do I get Atmos? I also tried with my Xbox One X which is plugged into my HDMI 2 on the Tv, and I will not even let me enable it.....nothing more than bitstream out. Now, if i plug my xbox in to the sound bar, I can select Atmos, but then i lose the option to have my variable refresh rate. Even then, i still don't think it is playing Atmos on the sound bar. The bar never says Atmos, and the sound option on the TV never says more than Dolby digital +.
post #348 of 359 Old Today, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K Guy View Post
Can anyone with experience with both this soundbar as well as the Nakamichi 7.2.4 tell me how they compare?
I currently have a Nakamichi and have been having some issues so was wondering how the Samsung compares...

Naka seems to have allot of issues for some reason. Just check their forums.
post #349 of 359 Old Today, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Mark View Post
Naka seems to have allot of issues for some reason. Just check their forums.
So I picked up the Q90 yesterday... build quality seems to be a lot better. I prefer the front channel sound on the Q90 over the Nakamichi. The bass also seems to be better detailed as well.

However I’m getting ragged sound in the right rear channel. Sounds like little micro dropouts that come rapid fire. I seem to be on the latest firmware. Any ideas if there’s something that’d fix that or is this a “bring it back to the store” thing?
post #350 of 359 Old Today, 10:50 AM

Quote:
So I picked up the Q90 yesterday... build quality seems to be a lot better. I prefer the front channel sound on the Q90 over the Nakamichi. The bass also seems to be better detailed as well.

However I’m getting ragged sound in the right rear channel. Sounds like little micro dropouts that come rapid fire. I seem to be on the latest firmware. Any ideas if there’s something that’d fix that or is this a “bring it back to the store” thing?
Correction: Both rears playback choppy audio.
post #351 of 359 Old Today, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Correction: Both rears playback choppy audio.
Have you tried resetting them? Disconnect your entire unit and then have them all reconnect together

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #352 of 359 Old Today, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damar1979 View Post
Have you tried resetting them? Disconnect your entire unit and then have them all reconnect together

If you mean unplug the bar as a reset then yes.

Just got off the phone with Samsung and they had me do that a couple of times but no change to the surrounds... They wanted me to send it to them for warranty repairs.

I think my best bet is to pack it back up and exchange it at Best Buy...
post #353 of 359 Old Today, 12:06 PM

Quote:
If you mean unplug the bar as a reset then yes.

Just got off the phone with Samsung and they had me do that a couple of times but no change to the surrounds... They wanted me to send it to them for warranty repairs.

I think my best bet is to pack it back up and exchange it at Best Buy...
Did you unplug just the bar? Or did you unplug everything? If that doesn't work, then yeah.... best buy. Get it done faster!

post #354 of 359 Old Today, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damar1979 View Post
Did you unplug just the bar? Or did you unplug everything? If that doesn't work, then yeah.... best buy. Get it done faster!

So the new unit is even worse than the first!

I really cannot believe that two units are defective in the exact same way and suspect that I have some sort of interference going on. Samsung support was useless. Just unplug it and then plug it back in. Still doesn’t work? Then send it in for repairs...

I did make an appointment with Geek Squad to come out for an “install” next Saturday. I’ve never been desperate enough to try them before but I really want to love this soundbar as I’m impressed with the sound when it works.
post #355 of 359 Old Today, 04:04 PM

Quote:
So the new unit is even worse than the first!

I really cannot believe that two units are defective in the exact same way and suspect that I have some sort of interference going on. Samsung support was useless. Just unplug it and then plug it back in. Still doesn’t work? Then send it in for repairs...

I did make an appointment with Geek Squad to come out for an “install” next Saturday. I’ve never been desperate enough to try them before but I really want to love this soundbar as I’m impressed with the sound when it works.
Are you sure that its updated with your Wi-Fi network?

post #356 of 359 Old Today, 04:08 PM

After doing the firmware update on the soundbar did you do the separate update for the rear speakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #357 of 359 Old Today, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sina Moghbel View Post
After doing the firmware update on the soundbar did you do the separate update for the rear speakers?

Samsung said there was only the main bar update. I asked them specifically about the sub and rears...

How do I do that?
post #358 of 359 Old Today, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Samsung said there was only the main bar update. I asked them specifically about the sub and rears...

How do I do that?

I followed the video here is the link

post #359 of 359 Old Today, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sina Moghbel View Post
I followed the video here is the link

https://youtu.be/ixLsye_l9Ds

Okay. I’ve tried this a dozen times and can not get the display to say update... What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Q900 , q90r , Samsung , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page