Samsung Q90R Soundbar - such good sound - SO many bugs - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 101Likes

post #451 of 495 Old 01-08-2020, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
The N950 and Q90R both support ATMOS over ARC. That is lossy audio. eARC is what a lot of people are waiting for, so they can get lossless audio. They are two different audio compressions.
can you please show how to get atmos over arc? I can only get atoms on devices directly connected to to the sound bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 495 Old 01-08-2020, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Anyone have a set of the rubber feet that came with the q90 that they aren’t using? Mine didn’t come with any and Samsung is no help.

I’ll pay shipping costs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #453 of 495 Old 01-08-2020, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdred View Post
I thought the Q90r does not support Atmos over ARC and it needed the eARC update that is supposedly coming. Granted I understand that eARC technically only is needed for full fidelity Atmos and compressed Atmos "should work" over ARC if the tv/app supports Atmos. I too have an lg C8 and I know it supports Atmos and it was able to send it through when I had the lg sk10y sound bar but I have always had lip sync issues when using ARC. I bought a Nvidia shield pro as a streaming device and have it going to sound bar input then passing video to tv. I cant say for sure if Samsungs apps support Atmos but they might not unless tv has full support of eARC along with sound bar. Might need to call or message Samsung for more information.
The N950 and Q90R both support ATMOS over ARC. That is lossy audio. eARC is what a lot of people are waiting for, so they can get lossless audio. They are two different audio compressions.
I had the k950 a few years back and it did ot support it over arc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 495 Old 01-08-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2376 View Post
Quote:
can you please show how to get atmos over arc? I can only get atoms on devices directly connected to to the sound bar.
Does your tv support Atmos to pass to the sound bar?
post #455 of 495 Old 01-08-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
yes. It is a samsung q70r....I get atmos through the internal apps like netflix, disney plus.....but for example I also have my xbox one x runnning direct to the tv so I ca use the variable refresh rate and low input lag, and it will not push Atmos through arc for it.
post #456 of 495 Old 01-09-2020, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I have this same issue, not with pc it's with 2019 Nvidia shield. Its Super irritating, I also get like a static type image that flashes then goes to black screen. Power off and on sound bar and its fine.
oh wow! I read a lot of posts and this is the first encounter for me of the same issue that I have too. Its so strange, because my PC GPU is Nvidia too(GTX 1080Ti to be exact). Maybe we encountering the same flickering problem because of Nvidia drivers or compatibility issue on their part? This is very strange....

As for the DTS:X please guys check the overall mix level of any DTS:X movie vs Dolby Atmos. Because Im encountering the problem of very low volume of DTS:X movies compare to Atmos, which is loud, dynamic and great.
We need to understand whats the problem: Is this Samsungs not great implementation of DTS:X or this is DTS problem of overall not dynamic mixes.
Thank you everyone who can help with it.
post #457 of 495 Old 01-09-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
yes. It is a samsung q70r....I get atmos through the internal apps like netflix, disney plus.....but for example I also have my xbox one x runnning direct to the tv so I ca use the variable refresh rate and low input lag, and it will not push Atmos through arc for it.
The Xbox one(x) use an audio format called Dolby MAT format. Maybe Samsung TV does not fully support that format to pass it via ARC to the sound bar.
post #458 of 495 Old 01-09-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
The Xbox one(x) use an audio format called Dolby MAT format. Maybe Samsung TV does not fully support that format to pass it via ARC to the sound bar.
i can not get atmos through my roku or firestick plugged into my tv either
post #459 of 495 Old 01-09-2020, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 1223
Quote:
i can not get atmos through my roku or firestick plugged into my tv either
With the exception of the Xbox which needs to be plugged directly into one the Soundbar's HDMI ports, ARC Atmos works fine w/o any configuration issues on the SB. You may want to check the appropriate TV, Roku & Firestick threads to verify you have things configured correctly. Good luck.
william06 likes this.
post #460 of 495 Old 01-10-2020, 04:59 AM

After dealing with Samsung support for far too many hours, unreturned my hw-q90r last night.
Long story short, the sub would just kind of make gurgling bass type noises at low volumes. M

Should i get another or maybe the Sony ht-st5000?

post #461 of 495 Old 01-10-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvan1313 View Post
After dealing with Samsung support for far too many hours, unreturned my hw-q90r last night.
Long story short, the sub would just kind of make gurgling bass type noises at low volumes. M

Should i get another or maybe the Sony ht-st5000?

I feel like you might be a tad disappointed with this unit as you loose rears and dedicated height channels. Albeit I have seen some pretty good reviews on it. Might want to give the Nakamichi shochwafe 9.2.4 a search. I used to own the 2018 version which is essentially the same thing as the 2019 version. Due to some things transpiring at Best Buy I had to return my Nakamichi unit and get the hw-q90r. The Nakamichi was a real nice sound bar, but you need room to accommodate 2 10" subs...and they do take up a lot of space.
post #462 of 495 Old 01-10-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
I feel like you might be a tad disappointed with this unit as you loose rears and dedicated height channels. Albeit I have seen some pretty good reviews on it. Might want to give the Nakamichi shochwafe 9.2.4 a search. I used to own the 2018 version which is essentially the same thing as the 2019 version. Due to some things transpiring at Best Buy I had to return my Nakamichi unit and get the hw-q90r. The Nakamichi was a real nice sound bar, but you need room to accommodate 2 10" subs...and they do take up a lot of space.

The Nakamochi isn’t an option for me, too many wires and a very open floor plan.

What your experience like with the q90r? I didn’t get a chance to really test it out due to the weirdness with the sub.

post #463 of 495 Old 01-10-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvan1313 View Post
Quote:

The Nakamochi isn’️t an option for me, too many wires and a very open floor plan.

What your experience like with the q90r? I didn’️t get a chance to really test it out due to the weirdness with the sub.

So I had a lot of problems with the k950 so I have been through a lot of sound bars over the past couple of years. The q90r is a fantastic sounding unit and the bass does indeed hit super low. The system is not without issues though. Ot seems like it does not ha idle 60hz with hdr very well and I occasionally get no video and sound only or a flashing screen. If I switch my Nvidia Shield to 30hz no issues. Hoping Samsung drops an update for this.
post #464 of 495 Old 01-11-2020, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
For all of the Q90r owner that fell betrayed by samsung on the eARC firmware update lie, it's the best moment to make your voice heard on twitter with the CES 2020 samsung annoucement #earcSamsungGate
post #465 of 495 Old 01-11-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifise View Post
For all of the Q90r owner that fell betrayed by samsung on the eARC firmware update lie, it's the best moment to make your voice heard on twitter with the CES 2020 samsung annoucement #earcSamsungGate
Has it been officially announced that there is not going to be a firmware update for eARC?
post #466 of 495 Old 01-11-2020, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I have just purchased a Q90 TV and Q90R soundbar and after following the advice and setup instructions to the letter have had no connection issues. However! After having for only a day I have come across an odd issue, firstly my setup...

Sky Q 2TB box HDMI to Soundbar
TV connected via ARC to soundbar

The issue...after playing a Dolby Atmos film through Sky Q (which sounds great!) sometimes when exiting the film and returning to normal channels like ITV the voices are particularly subdued and you can barely hear them. Have tried cycling inputs and sound modes to no avail. If I switch to ‘normal’ in the Sky audio options everything is fine. Switching back to ‘Dolby Digital Plus’ the issue returns. I play a Dolby Atmos film it’s perfectly fine, until I return to normal viewing.

The only thing that fixes it, is to unplug the soundbar from the power supply and plug it back in, everything is then fine, until I play another film. Doesn’t happen all the time but enough to be frustrating.

Any advice?
post #467 of 495 Old 01-11-2020, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Has it been officially announced that there is not going to be a firmware update for eARC?
There has got to be some legal issue here as they were very explicit about promising an earc firmware upgrade from the introduction of the Q90R. This has not been unusual behavior for Samsung. Many people have purchased depending on this upgrade. Hopefully one of the major reviewers would pickup on this situation. And make potential purchasers aware of this. I really like mine and am thinking of returning it on principle. Might even look at the lg

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 . pioneer lx500 uhd blu ray players
atv4k 2nd gen cube, roku ultra 2019
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-Q90R ZA soundbar
post #468 of 495 Old 01-11-2020, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
it's a year now that it was promised, Samsung is already focus on there new soundbar
post #469 of 495 Old 01-11-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifise View Post
Quote:
it's a year now that it was promised, Samsung is already focus on there new soundbar
I hear ya and not that I am saying that was ok, but there is still a lot of chatter out there that it is still going to happen. It has been rumored to have been delayed several times due to bugs discovered during testing. I would rather have the firmware released correctly then broken. Although I to will be hella pissed if they dont release it.
william06 likes this.

Last edited by jbdred; 01-11-2020 at 11:58 AM.
post #470 of 495 Old 01-11-2020, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I hear ya and not that I am saying that was ok, but there is still a lot of chatter out there that it is still going to happen. It has been rumored to have been delayed several times due to bugs discovered during testing. I would rather have the firmware released correctly then broken. Although I to will be hella pissed if they dont release it.
Unless you are using a Samsung TV, I wouldn't put much faith in eARC on the Q90r. Yes it is a standard but so is CEC, both have gaps that manufacturers can implement as desired. IMHO.
post #471 of 495 Old 01-11-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Quote:
Unless you are using a Samsung TV, I wouldn't put much faith in eARC on the Q90r. Yes it is a standard but so is CEC, both have gaps that manufacturers can implement as desired. IMHO.
Agreed standards is a very loose term between manufacturers. I have an LG C8 which does pass through lossy Atmos audio. It worked with my LG SK10Y, have not really checked to see if that works or not with q90r.
post #472 of 495 Old 01-11-2020, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had the k950 a few years back and it did ot support it over arc.
Correct. The K950 was Samsung's first Atmos soundbar and while it had 2.0a HDMI ports and ARC capability it was never upgraded to support Atmos over ARC. Samsung said the ARC port were not designed for it. The newer model the N950 and the latest model the Q90 support lossy Atmos via ARC.
post #473 of 495 Old 01-12-2020, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I’ve tried a number of times to update the firmware for the sub and surrounds on my Q90. Samsung tells me to simply follow the directions on their video on YouTube.
The video says to press the volume button then press and hold the down button and the display will read update. I’ve tried this repeatedly and the word update never appears. The display just reads mute...
Anyone else struggling with this?
post #474 of 495 Old 01-12-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K Guy View Post
I’️ve tried a number of times to update the firmware for the sub and surrounds on my Q90. Samsung tells me to simply follow the directions on their video on YouTube.
The video says to press the volume button then press and hold the down button and the display will read update. I’️ve tried this repeatedly and the word update never appears. The display just reads mute...
Anyone else struggling with this?
If you did the update via Samsung Smarththings I believe it does the update automatically. You can verify the version by.
1. Turn the soundbar off.
2. Press and hold Sound Control on the remote for 5 seconds until the versions begin to display on the soundbar's display. You might need to do it a few times to catch all the numbers.

I did my update via Smartthings and then I did the same thing you did and I could not get it work work. Turned out update was already installed on sub.
post #475 of 495 Old 01-14-2020, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Guys , suggestions required . Planning to replace my of sl10 yg with hw q90r , not satisfied with the Atmos and voice quality of lg. Is it worth the upgrade ,most reviews including rtings suggest hwq90r is far better than sl10yg , is it so ?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Sina Moghbel likes this.
post #476 of 495 Old 01-14-2020, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Samsung Q90R Soundbar - such good sound - SO many bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala_gamer View Post
Guys , suggestions required . Planning to replace my of sl10 yg with hw q90r , not satisfied with the Atmos and voice quality of lg. Is it worth the upgrade ,most reviews including rtings suggest hwq90r is far better than sl10yg , is it so ?

Yes definitely, I have both and the Samsung just sounds much better especially with voice clarity

bala_gamer likes this.
post #477 of 495 Old 01-14-2020, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sina Moghbel View Post
Yes definitely, I have both and the Samsung just sounds much better especially with voice clarity

Thanks , just received my unit and am amazed by the difference in sound quality , even with the initial setup I can say this one sounds much better than lg. That too with very less volume.

Any other Pro tip for a first time user ?

post #478 of 495 Old 01-14-2020, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Good decision! Just make sure you do the update to the latest firmware and enjoy. Other then that if you want to tweak things you’d have to do trial and error since not all rooms are the same.

bala_gamer likes this.
post #479 of 495 Old 01-14-2020, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
What's everyone's thoughts on the Virtual setting on the soundbar, do you have that enabled or disabled?
I've read a few times to enable it to add more 'depth' to the sound?
post #480 of 495 Old 01-16-2020, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello! I apologize in advance for my English, I am from Belarus (I used Google translator a little ).

My setup is the LG B8, HW-Q90R, PS4 Pro, PC.

I have several issues that I think are related to the handshake of the HW-Q90R, maybe you can advise me something. We have a small community of owners of the HW-Q90R, so there is not much information, but not only me have such problems.

1. The first issue relates to connecting the PS4 Pro and PC through the soundbar (pass-through) to TV. When connecting the PS4 Pro and PC directly to the TV with the same HDMI cables, there is no any issues.

For some reason, pass-through on the HDMI 1 soundbar does not work when the "Ultra HD Deep color" setting is enabled on the TV (this is LG's HDR support) - I see a black screen or flickering. But everything works fine with the HDMI 2 soundbar. When testing the same cable was used for both ports, of course. I checked several HDMI cables and all did not work with the HDMI 1 soundbar, but they worked with HDMI 2.
Moreover, without HDR support ("Ultra HD Deep color" is disabled on TV) everything is OK, HDMI 1 perfectly forwards the picture. This is for PC output.

When I connect the PS4 via HDMI 1 soundbar (pass-through), when I try to turn on the HDR mode, sometimes (not every time) something goes wrong and the TV cannot receive the signal, I see a strobe and white noise on the screen.
This is pure random, no dependency, succeed or not. If the TV switches to any other source and then immediately back to HDMI ARC where the soundbar - everything is ok, the handshake is restored.

2. The second issue is associated with interruption of sound on the film tracks in AC3 format if a bitstream is used to the soundbar. Sometimes (not every time), the sound begins to stop, sound jerky. And this is not the whole film, but only certain places, I remember them and I can always repeat this issue to demonstrate.
If I turn off the movie and turn it on again, the issue will go away.
If I use PCM instead of bitstream, then there is no issue.
The problem is reproduced both when listening to the internal player and when using an external source, it is always there - when using a bitstream .
I can’t imagine how it is possible to check in the service center from my words, if I go there.
Thanks in advance for the answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Q900 , q90r , Samsung , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page