Samsung Q90R Soundbar - such good sound - SO many bugs - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 109Likes

post #481 of 541 Old 01-17-2020, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalupator View Post
Hello! I apologize in advance for my English, I am from Belarus (I used Google translator a little [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]).

My setup is the LG B8, HW-Q90R, PS4 Pro, PC.

I have several issues that I think are related to the handshake of the HW-Q90R, maybe you can advise me something. We have a small community of owners of the HW-Q90R, so there is not much information, but not only me have such problems.

1. The first issue relates to connecting the PS4 Pro and PC through the soundbar (pass-through) to TV. When connecting the PS4 Pro and PC directly to the TV with the same HDMI cables, there is no any issues.

For some reason, pass-through on the HDMI 1 soundbar does not work when the "Ultra HD Deep color" setting is enabled on the TV (this is LG's HDR support) - I see a black screen or flickering. But everything works fine with the HDMI 2 soundbar. When testing the same cable was used for both ports, of course. I checked several HDMI cables and all did not work with the HDMI 1 soundbar, but they worked with HDMI 2.
Moreover, without HDR support ("Ultra HD Deep color" is disabled on TV) everything is OK, HDMI 1 perfectly forwards the picture. This is for PC output.

When I connect the PS4 via HDMI 1 soundbar (pass-through), when I try to turn on the HDR mode, sometimes (not every time) something goes wrong and the TV cannot receive the signal, I see a strobe and white noise on the screen.
This is pure random, no dependency, succeed or not. If the TV switches to any other source and then immediately back to HDMI ARC where the soundbar - everything is ok, the handshake is restored.

2. The second issue is associated with interruption of sound on the film tracks in AC3 format if a bitstream is used to the soundbar. Sometimes (not every time), the sound begins to stop, sound jerky. And this is not the whole film, but only certain places, I remember them and I can always repeat this issue to demonstrate.
If I turn off the movie and turn it on again, the issue will go away.
If I use PCM instead of bitstream, then there is no issue.
The problem is reproduced both when listening to the internal player and when using an external source, it is always there - when using a bitstream .
I can’️t imagine how it is possible to check in the service center from my words, if I go there.
Thanks in advance for the answers.
The flickering issues have been noted a few times in this thread. One of the other owners called Samsung support and was told there is going to be an update to fix this. I suffer from the same issues. It's very random. The only thing that I have seen that stops it from happening for me is to set Nvidia shield tv to 30 hz instead of 60hz which is definitely not ideal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 541 Old 01-18-2020, 02:27 PM

Thoughts on subwoofer placement? I had mine in the left rear corner of my room behind the couch and it sounded good bit felt like mids were missing. I moved it to recommended place which is left front of room. It seems a bit more balanced but seems less on the low end.
post #483 of 541 Old 01-19-2020, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've got it 'side on' so the cloth/sub is facing the couch - sounds awesome and way punchier than the recommended positioning!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 541 Old 01-19-2020, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1929 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy112 View Post
I've got it 'side on' so the cloth/sub is facing the couch - sounds awesome and way punchier than the recommended positioning!
The further you move a Sub from the main speakers or Soundbar the less integrated the total sound meaning you are likely to notice a distinct bass apart from other sounds. Some like that others don't.
post #485 of 541 Old 01-19-2020, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
The further you move a Sub from the main speakers or Soundbar the less integrated the total sound meaning you are likely to notice a distinct bass apart from other sounds. Some like that others don't.
I've got the sub sitting on my TV cabinet about 20cm from the soundbar so that won't be an issue, I was more so stating the positioning of the sub so that the cloth side is facing the viewer, as this provides great bass in my experience. It just makes more sense to me that the subwoofer side is facing the audience instead of the TV.

What's everyone else's positioning of the sub and thoughts on this?
post #486 of 541 Old 01-21-2020, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy112 View Post
can vouch for this, cloth side facing the couch gives even better bass.
post #487 of 541 Old 01-21-2020, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidPanama View Post
Well, I answered my own questions after receiving the Soundbar yesterday. I can confirm to everyone who has similar concerns, that yes, this soundbar can pass the Double D (Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos). I hooked up my finicky Apple TV 4K, and everything worked fantastic. The same is true for passing Dolby Atmos through ARC via my TV’s (Sony 75X940E) streaming apps that use Dolby Digital Plus encoded Atmos. Now my only issue is finding the right settings to make everything sound as good as possible. By this I mean figuring the right levels for all speakers.
you sure your dolby vision is working at 4k 60hz ? for me the soundbar passes DV @ 4k 23.9hz only (nvidia shield pro 2019) , setting it to 60hz my nvidia shield says it is not supported and puts the blame on hdmi cable, pretty sure i tried all high quality cables
post #488 of 541 Old 01-21-2020, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala_gamer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidPanama View Post
Well, I answered my own questions after receiving the Soundbar yesterday. I can confirm to everyone who has similar concerns, that yes, this soundbar can pass the Double D (Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos). I hooked up my finicky Apple TV 4K, and everything worked fantastic. The same is true for passing Dolby Atmos through ARC via my TV’️s (Sony 75X940E) streaming apps that use Dolby Digital Plus encoded Atmos. Now my only issue is finding the right settings to make everything sound as good as possible. By this I mean figuring the right levels for all speakers.
you sure your dolby vision is working at 4k 60hz ? for me the soundbar passes DV @ 4k 23.9hz only (nvidia shield pro 2019) , setting it to 60hz my nvidia shield says it is not supported and puts the blame on hdmi cable, pretty sure i tried all high quality cables [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]
I am 100% sure that the sound bar will pass DV 60hz, albeit there are some intermittant issues as I have mentioned earlier in this thread. You are passing a lot of data through when using 4k, DV, Dolby Atmos, and 60hz. You might want to upgrade cable to hdmi 2.1 spec which is 48 mbps I believe. I have some uncertified 2.1 Belkin cables that AppleTV 4k recommends get used and so did Nakamichi which are 48 mbps rated. It did resolve a lot of issues. I think Samsung still has a few quirks in their firmware with the hdmi handshake though.
bala_gamer likes this.
post #489 of 541 Old 01-21-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdred View Post
I am 100% sure that the sound bar will pass DV 60hz, albeit there are some intermittant issues as I have mentioned earlier in this thread. You are passing a lot of data through when using 4k, DV, Dolby Atmos, and 60hz. You might want to upgrade cable to hdmi 2.1 spec which is 48 mbps I believe. I have some uncertified 2.1 Belkin cables that AppleTV 4k recommends get used and so did Nakamichi which are 48 mbps rated. It did resolve a lot of issues. I think Samsung still has a few quirks in their firmware with the hdmi handshake though.
sounds great.. will give it a try. btw with which configuration you tested for [email protected] 60 hz? apple tv?
post #490 of 541 Old 01-21-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
sounds great.. will give it a try. btw with which configuration you tested for [email protected] 60 hz? apple tv?
I have used both AppleTV 4k and 2019 Nvidia Shield pro with my hw-q90r.
bala_gamer likes this.
post #491 of 541 Old 01-22-2020, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased the HW-Q90R today and have it connected to an LG OLED C9.

I am trying to confirm the version of the Firmware in the Sub & Rear channel speakers. I tried following STEP 2 from this page: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/t...g/TSG01202075/ but that does not show anything.

I did use the Smartthings app and ran the firmware update and feel that the main soundbar is updated, but I can not seem to get the Sub & rears to update.

Thank you,
Robert
post #492 of 541 Old 01-23-2020, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pifemaster View Post
I just purchased the HW-Q90R today and have it connected to an LG OLED C9.

I am trying to confirm the version of the Firmware in the Sub & Rear channel speakers. I tried following STEP 2 from this page: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/t...g/TSG01202075/ but that does not show anything.

I did use the Smartthings app and ran the firmware update and feel that the main soundbar is updated, but I can not seem to get the Sub & rears to update.

Thank you,
Robert
I updated through Smartthings as well and tried to update the rears as instructed because many reports stated the sub/rears do not get updated through the app. I have found that to be incorrect.
Doing the following should show you your current versions.
1. Turn the soundbar off.
2. Press and hold Sound Control on the remote for 5 seconds until the versions begin to display on the soundbar's display

You will likely need to do this a couple times cause the number display quickly.
post #493 of 541 Old 01-23-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I updated through Smartthings as well and tried to update the rears as instructed because many reports stated the sub/rears do not get updated through the app. I have found that to be incorrect.
Doing the following should show you your current versions.
1. Turn the soundbar off.
2. Press and hold Sound Control on the remote for 5 seconds until the versions begin to display on the soundbar's display

You will likely need to do this a couple times cause the number display quickly.
Thank you very much for the info. I was starting to think I was not as technology savvy as I though

I checked and everything did update.

Thanks again,
Robert
post #494 of 541 Old 01-23-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
You were absolutely right , finally I solved the million dollar issue with hdmi 2.1 cable

Occasionally I get grainy screen which is resolvable by switching between inputs.

Dolby vision + Atmos @4k 60hz plus lossless audio. Finally the perfect combination is achieved. Samsung should bloody mention Dolby vision in their marketing materials

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
post #495 of 541 Old 01-25-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:
You were absolutely right , finally I solved the million dollar issue with hdmi 2.1 cable

Occasionally I get grainy screen which is resolvable by switching between inputs.

Dolby vision + Atmos @4k 60hz plus lossless audio. Finally the perfect combination is achieved. Samsung should bloody mention Dolby vision in their marketing materials

Yeah, I agree as it would probably get more people to buy their sound bars. However Samung never adopted DV on any of their tv's and push for hdr10+, so it's kind of a catch 22 for them.
post #496 of 541 Old 01-28-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:

The hdmi cable is from shield to soundbar or from soundbar to tv arc?
post #497 of 541 Old 01-29-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagster View Post
The hdmi cable is from shield to soundbar or from soundbar to tv arc?

from soundbar to tv arc
post #498 of 541 Old 01-29-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
from soundbar to tv arc
Thanks, I should have my hdmi 2.1 cable by the weekend...
post #499 of 541 Old 01-31-2020, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Does anyone with a Q90 control it with a Harmony remote? How do you work around the input changes?
post #500 of 541 Old 02-01-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K Guy View Post
Does anyone with a Q90 control it with a Harmony remote? How do you work around the input changes?
I have a Harmony remote with Hub. It's a huge pita to get this working good. Personally I have turned off anyconnect on the sound bar and simplink on LG tv. I set the remote to The samsung settings that it does not skip unused inputs. It works ok. I also programmed sound bar source button to the lcd screen for when it does not go to correct port. Not sure why in gods green earth Samsung does not have dedicated codes for their inputs, this has been a long time issue....and it sucks.

Last edited by jbdred; 02-02-2020 at 06:16 AM.
post #501 of 541 Old 02-01-2020, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I'm looking into getting this sound bar (technically the Q80R which I believe is identical except for no rear speakers). I was hoping to not have to read all 500 posts if possible so I was wondering if anyone could let me know if the various issues mentioned in the original post have been resolved? Have any new issues been discovered?

Thanks,
Harry
post #502 of 541 Old 02-02-2020, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Muscle View Post
I'm looking into getting this sound bar (technically the Q80R which I believe is identical except for no rear speakers). I was hoping to not have to read all 500 posts if possible so I was wondering if anyone could let me know if the various issues mentioned in the original post have been resolved? Have any new issues been discovered?

Thanks,
Harry
The only issue that was resolved that I am aware of is the sub woofer disconnect issues. There has not been an firmware update in months.
post #503 of 541 Old 02-02-2020, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Samsung Q90R Soundbar - such good sound - SO many bugs

Anyone else get this kind of distortion on occasion? I posted this on the Samsung forum as well. So far the mods are recommending swapping out the HDMI cable.

For reference, my setup is the Q90R soundbar connected to the HDMI 3 (arc) on the Q90R qled OneConnect box using the HDMI cable provided with the soundbar.

Xbox One X is plugged directly into the sound bar. My Verizon box is plugged into The OneConnect box directly.

Sooundbar is connected to my home wifi for updates and SmartThings control.

Both the TV and soundbar have the latest firmware installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #504 of 541 Old 02-02-2020, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Upgrading tv to 82 inch Q70 and getting the Q90r soundbar, will my ceiling fan affect the atmos?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1580691107888.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	2679496  
post #505 of 541 Old 02-04-2020, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSK0307 View Post
Anyone else get this kind of distortion on occasion? I posted this on the Samsung forum as well. So far the mods are recommending swapping out the HDMI cable.

https://youtu.be/JxRGBCbymSE

For reference, my setup is the Q90R soundbar connected to the HDMI 3 (arc) on the Q90R qled OneConnect box using the HDMI cable provided with the soundbar.

Xbox One X is plugged directly into the sound bar. My Verizon box is plugged into The OneConnect box directly.

I have noticed this as well within the last week myself. I have NEVER heard this up until now and I've had my bar a little over a year now. It's not your HDMI cable because I use a certified HDMI cable.

It does not happen all the time, just randomly. Do you notice it while streaming or using a disc?

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950

Last edited by PlasmaHiDef; 02-04-2020 at 06:36 AM.
post #506 of 541 Old 02-04-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
I have noticed this as well within the last week myself. I have NEVER heard this up until now and I've had my bar a little over a year now. It's not your HDMI cable because I use a certified HDMI cable.

It does not happen all the time, just randomly. Do you notice it while streaming or using a disc?

I have only played 1 disc through the system since getting it setup. (Avengers End Game) And didn’t have it occur at all. I have about 10 hours of Blu-ray’s to get through so I’ll certainly be aware if it does happen.

My issue is also random. Sometimes I go hours without hearing it then it’ll happen a few times over several minutes. Confirmed with Xbox gaming, FiOS tv and the Apple+ app so far.

post #507 of 541 Old 02-04-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:

https://youtu.be/JxRGBCbymSE

Just as an update to my post, I replaced my stock HDMI cable today with one of the Belkin ultra high speed 48Gbps. Did not eliminate the distortion problem that I have been experiencing. This is the cable that I have connected between the HDMI arc output on the sound bar to HDMI 3 arc on my OneConnect box.

I suppose that the next step is to try upgrading the cables from the sources next. Will try that tomorrow but suspect the same result.

post #508 of 541 Old 02-05-2020, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
I have only played 1 disc through the system since getting it setup. (Avengers End Game) And didn’t have it occur at all. I have about 10 hours of Blu-ray’s to get through so I’ll certainly be aware if it does happen.

My issue is also random. Sometimes I go hours without hearing it then it’ll happen a few times over several minutes. Confirmed with Xbox gaming, FiOS tv and the Apple+ app so far.

Ok, the reason I asked is because I've only heard it (so far) when I am streaming. Specifically, Netflix movies with ATMOS. I don't hear it when I play 4K disc.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #509 of 541 Old 02-05-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Ok, the reason I asked is because I've only heard it (so far) when I am streaming. Specifically, Netflix movies with ATMOS. I don't hear it when I play 4K disc.

I’ll add those to my testing plan. Since I am in the return period Samsung is suggesting that I exchange the system. Other option is to have them send out a service person.

post #510 of 541 Old 02-05-2020, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Are you sure that your 4K player is set to send bit stream unprocessed atmos?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Q900 , q90r , Samsung , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page