Samsung Q90R Soundbar - such good sound - SO many bugs - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 155Likes

post #781 of 815 Old 06-18-2020, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Q90R - two different 5.1 outputs?

So I experienced something with my Q90r:

When I plug a streaming device, pc whatever directly into the soundbar and play 5.1 content, the output is the following: Sound comes out of Front Left, Front Center, Front Right, Right Rear Level, Left Rear Level and Subwoofer. So far so good, the Sound is amazing.

Buuuuut, when i plug my Device to my TV (LG CX) and use the earc function: Device —> TV —eARC—> Q90r the Sound output is the following: Side Left, Front Left, Front Center, Front Right, Side Right and Subwoofer.
So here, the Side Speaker are firing instead of the Rears. Vis Versa when i plug in the device in the Soundbar, the Sides dont make any sound.
When playing Atmos content both ways sound the same, i guess (didn’t notice much difference)

Dont think that’s the intention of the innovator. So who’s messing that up, Samsung or LG?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 815 Old 06-19-2020, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have a Q80r and I am experiencing an issue where if I plug my Roku Stick+ into the TV or use a HDMI extension male to female cable I get different results with audio not working. I made the decision to move the Roku Stick+ to the HDMI1 port on the soundbar so I could get Atmos and less lip sync issue but when I do that randomly when a new episode of a show on Netflix plays the sound stops working. I don't experience that issue when I plug the Roku Stick+ into my Sony A8G but I am not getting Atmos and sometimes I get lip sync issues. Could it be the male to female cable I bought on Amazon isn't working properly or causing this issue where the sound stops working?
post #783 of 815 Old 06-20-2020, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Buurten View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdred View Post
I have an LG CX TV and a ln LG UBK90 4k player hooked up to TV inputs and am using eARC and it seems fine. I did have a few issues on set up getting eARC to be detected had to do a hdmi handshake reset and it to show up. Its been fine since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phades View Post
With the latest update has anyone else had issues with occasional crackling/popping while playing via eARC? It's only occasional, but I'm finding it very annoying. If I turn off eARC and just do regular ARC, it goes away. I can't be sure if it's the TV (Samsung Q80T) or the Soundbar that is causing the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdred View Post
I have an LG CX hooked up to q90r via eARC and I just noticed a slight pop/tick every so often when I was stream a movie over Vudu that had 5.1. I have not noticed it yet while watching 4k disc with Atmos, bit will be on the look out.

You guys use passthrough or auto in the lg audio options ? When i Play Netflix on My Apple TV and set passthrough i dont get any 5.1 on My Soundbar
I have my tv set to pass through, I don't use built in apps though I use 2019 Nvidia shield pro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 815 Old 06-22-2020, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
I want to correct myself here. It's been some time since I cared how this soundbar worked. I played test files a few minutes ago.

When source is 5.1, rear channels come out of both side and rear speakers.
When source is 7.1, left and right surround channels come out of side speakers, rear channels come out of rear speakers.
This should only happen if you have the virtual surround option set to ON in the soundbar settings. When its off, the side speakers will not play the rear channels.
post #785 of 815 Old 06-22-2020, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Peters View Post
This should only happen if you have the virtual surround option set to ON in the soundbar settings. When its off, the side speakers will not play the rear channels.
I never use virtual surround. You can download test files and try yourself.
When I play dolby 5.1 test, all channels go out of correct speakers.
When I play dts hd 5.1 test, rear channels goes out of side and rear speakers.
post #786 of 815 Old 06-24-2020, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 4
so i have the q90r connected to my C9 using earc, and my xbox one s connected to the c9. watched the matrix and 2001 a space odyssey and noticed the tv was like half a second ahead of the volume leaving a delay. any solutions to this?
post #787 of 815 Old 06-24-2020, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 48
How does the q90r compare to the Sonos Arc? Not seeing a lot of non "professional" reviewers take on it. Most of the online site reviewers claim the q90r has an edge, if however sightly. Are the rear speakers still struggling after the most latest update?
post #788 of 815 Old 06-25-2020, 03:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum_trunks View Post
How does the q90r compare to the Sonos Arc? Not seeing a lot of non "professional" reviewers take on it. Most of the online site reviewers claim the q90r has an edge, if however sightly. Are the rear speakers still struggling after the most latest update?
I can't speak on the sonos, but I have never had a problem with my Q90r sound system. Rears work fine, and whether 5.1 content or Atmos/DTS:X it sounds fantastic!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #789 of 815 Old 06-25-2020, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 521
I have had the q90r since the beginning of the year and I am extremely pleased with it so far. That includes the sound quality.
Damar1979 likes this.
post #790 of 815 Old 06-25-2020, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Can anyone speak as to whether or not the linked power cord will work with this soundbar (looking to lengthen the rear speaker power cords)

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B005C5ENLA/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Thanks for any help.

Kev

**Update***

In case anyone is interested, I ended up picking these up from Amazon and they work perfectly.

Even though the female end is a little bit longer then the one that comes with the speakers, the legs of the speaker raise it just enough so that this does not interfere with placement on the stands.

I'll be honest, that slightly longer head made it a little bit of a bitch feeding it through the stand's frame. The first went through relatively easily (isn't that always the case?) but the second one I ended up attaching it to some cable so that I could pull it through the stand which was very easy.

Highly recommend these longer cords.

Kev

Last edited by OK KO; 06-27-2020 at 11:10 AM. Reason: update the post
post #791 of 815 Old 06-27-2020, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damar1979 View Post
Quote:
I can't speak on the sonos, but I have never had a problem with my Q90r sound system. Rears work fine, and whether 5.1 content or Atmos/DTS:X it sounds fantastic!

I can compare the hw-q90r to Hw-n950, skq10y, and Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.1. The hw-q90r is a good looking bar this design has served Samsung well for a few years. The Nakamichi was a great sound bar it bass that would knock your socks off with dual 10" subs, but the were gigantic. It did support Atmos after a free upgrade but it was virtualized Atmos which was fairly convincing. Now onto the hw-q90r it sou down great, has really good Atmos effects, and bass is surprisingly hard considering its size, placement of sub is also important. I am very pleased with the hw-q90r and even more so with the eARC update.
post #792 of 815 Old 06-28-2020, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I love experimenting with new units. I recently bought the Bose Soundbar 700 with the bass and surround and put it against the Samsung Q90r with its Atmos and 7.1.4 set-up.

It helped me notice that even thou the Bose is more expensive, the Samsung is just as good and if you feed it Atmos its amazing.

Thank you.
naustin likes this.
post #793 of 815 Old 06-28-2020, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Any way to disable the dumb game mode pro sound setting from engaging each time you play a game and worst is that when you exit the game and return to cable tv the game mode pro is still the option.

I want just standard....so annoying
post #794 of 815 Old 06-28-2020, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can anyone tell me if VRR and ALLM are passed through with a XBOX One X with the new eARC update?
post #795 of 815 Old 06-29-2020, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bought the q80r last week due to 500 price difference from the q90t but today got a notice on bb app that the 90r was 500 less and went and exchanged the 80r for the 90r
post #796 of 815 Old 06-29-2020, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 View Post
Bought the q80r last week due to 500 price difference from the q90t but today got a notice on bb app that the 90r was 500 less and went and exchanged the 80r for the 90r
Enjoy it! The surround sound is on point!!

post #797 of 815 Old 06-29-2020, 12:40 PM

With this being lowered to $999ish in the USA today, I really don't see myself waiting for the 950QT. Seems like a $700ish delta for an extra 2 channels and maybe some improved components.
post #798 of 815 Old 06-29-2020, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I currently have a lg 10sky which I bought 2 years ago, its ok soundbar but known problem of hearing dialouge specially in dolby atmos movies. Seeing this on sale for 999, is it worth a buy or upgrade? Are the bugs still pretty bad? THank!

*edit*
Ending up buying it at bestbuy, but seesh what a mess it has been. Worked great for the first 2 hours, got it hooked up to my 4k blu ray player and xbox one x with the hdmi arc hooked to the tv. Ive had to hard reset everything from the power cord atleast 3 times, would not get any signal from the tv, or would get a flickering screen but with audio, or nothing at all. I would turn off the blu ray player and restart it but no signal coming to tv, same thing with the xbox. I tried replugging the hdmi cables but the only thing that worked was once I turned everything from the power outlet?

Needless to say if I'm having these issues day one I will be sure taking it back for a refund! Really sad tho I was excited about its sound and dolby atmos effect.

Last edited by SpacePirate; 06-30-2020 at 12:38 AM.
post #799 of 815 Old 06-30-2020, 06:34 AM

I previously had the Sonos Arc, just got the Q90R yesterday based one reviews.

Definitely more of a pain to adjust and I forgot that the provided speakers are for the 7.1 sound and not the 5.1. I kind of preferred the Sonos One's providing the 5.1 piece as more content takes advantage of a 5.1 spread than 7.1 and having a dedicated speaker for that makes a difference.

I'll have to measure SPL, but so far doesn't seem as punchy (especially with the sub and rears) compared to Sonos.
post #800 of 815 Old 06-30-2020, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
The surround channels of 5.1 are played back by the rear speakers of the Samsung.
It's the side channels of 7.1 and Atmos that are output through the side speakers of the sound bar.

Envoyé de mon LYA-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk
post #801 of 815 Old 06-30-2020, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I previously had the Sonos Arc, just got the Q90R yesterday based one reviews.

Definitely more of a pain to adjust and I forgot that the provided speakers are for the 7.1 sound and not the 5.1. I kind of preferred the Sonos One's providing the 5.1 piece as more content takes advantage of a 5.1 spread than 7.1 and having a dedicated speaker for that makes a difference.

I'll have to measure SPL, but so far doesn't seem as punchy (especially with the sub and rears) compared to Sonos.
????

The rears play the 5.1 if the content is 5.1. They are rear speakers, that's the job whether its 5.1 or 7.1.

On the bar you have your center driver, side speakers that are still the front panel..... Then you have side firing speakers on opposite sides. That's where the 7.1 would come in. But the rear speakers do their job whether its 5.1 or 7.1

post #802 of 815 Old 06-30-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damar1979 View Post
????

The rears play the 5.1 if the content is 5.1. They are rear speakers, that's the job whether its 5.1 or 7.1.

On the bar you have your center driver, side speakers that are still the front panel..... Then you have side firing speakers on opposite sides. That's where the 7.1 would come in. But the rear speakers do their job whether its 5.1 or 7.1

Sounds like I am ignorant here. I thought that all 5.1 content was played only through the bar itself and the rears only activate if it's 7 channel.

Sounds like the rears play the final 2 channels in a 5.1 soundtrack or the final 2 channels in a 7.1 soundtrack depending on what it is being fed.
post #803 of 815 Old 06-30-2020, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
For 5.1 content,use only Standard Mode
post #804 of 815 Old 06-30-2020, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I would like to quote a post from another forum that enlighted me as I wasn't satisfied by the rears performance. I only have the system for a month.
Quote:

Sound modes are far from being perfect, in my completely personal opinion:

- Adaptive: Excellent center channel and voices, but at the expense of rears.
- Surround: A complete disaster, mixing all the channels, dialogues that is coming from the front also come out from the rears, but at a muffled tone. I really wonder who engineered this. For me it is impossible to watch a movie with this sound mode.
- Game: I do not have a game system.
- Standard: The best one, as it keeps the sound as it was originally designed by the movie sound engineers. But it lacks power in the center channel. You can then turn up the center channel volume, but then you lose the balance with the rears, as those really are not as loud as they should. By playing and testing with channel volume you can find an acceptable solution, but not perfect.

In summary the sound modes are not properly designed. Fix would be very easy but it does not look to be in the plans of Samsung.

Having had this bar for months this is my personal opinion on how it works by source :

- For atmos content: Outstanding performance . The bubble of sound is incredible, perfect sound placement, and the LFE are earthquake like. Caveat, you need an external device as the compressed audio content in Streaming services are not as oustanding as the uncompressed versions. An external player such as Nvidia shield, or a Bluray player is a must. Believe me, without an external player you would be missing the real fun with this soundbar.
- For Netflix: Very good 5.1 performance in sound mode STANDARD,
- For Amazon: Very good 5.1 performance in sound mode STANDARD,
- For Disney + : Very good 5.1 performance in sound mode STANDARD
- For Youtube, this is a 2.0 source, in this case ADAPTIVE is the sound mode that I find more decent. It sounds good.
- For music files , it all depends on expectations. Music coming out of just the bar sounds very good. If you expectation is to have the music coming out of all speakers filling all the room with sound the performance is then poor. SURROUND is fine, if you want to listen music coming out of all the speakers. But the rears are muffled and does not sound at the same level of the bar. It is unbalanced. If you are fine with music just coming out of the bar, ADAPTIVE and STANDARD are very good.

Fix would be very easy if channel volume setting had a wider range , not just up to + 6 .

Note that my opinion is based on the fact that I like content to sound exactly how it was designed by the movie sound engineers. This can be only achieved both in ATMOS and in STANDARD sound mode. By use another sound mode you can have a more or less pleasant experience but it would not be the real thing.

For those asking. Virtual Mode ON/OFF is an option designed for soundbars without rears. It enables virtual rear surround sound (don't ask me how, ask Samsung) . I did not notice any difference but common sense tells me to switch it to OFF. To keep thinks as much natural as possible

In summary , a very good bar, outstanding atmos, and good performance with other content which could be much better if channel volume options were not so rigid.
post #805 of 815 Old 06-30-2020, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2024 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
There are two ways to view and use Samsung's Atmos soundbars from the K series, N series and now Q series.

The quick and easy method is just plug it In and enjoy.

The other way is to use the SmartThings App so you adjust EQ modes while adjusting the channel volumes on the front of the soundbar.

Most people won't go to the trouble of using the second method IMHO.
post #806 of 815 Old 06-30-2020, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
So this is interesting. I switched my xbox one x into hdmi input 1 and removed my bluray player from hdmi input 2, the soundbar still connected to my hdmi arc on my tv, but now I get no arc sound on my tv when either streaming or using the tv's netflix app. I still get full dolby atmos sound on my xbox, however if I plug in the bluray player back into hdmi 2, the tv's arc sound works again? What would cause this? I'm trying to do some more troubleshoots but leaning towards taking it back to bestbuy tomorrow.
post #807 of 815 Old 06-30-2020, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Guys when I connect my ps4 pro to the soundbar and select pcm i get full 7.1 audio from the console but when i switch to dolby bitstream the sound comes alive on the soundbar.....

Is bitstream dolby from ps4 the best option or pcm? I tried both and for some reason the rear speakers come alive when bitstreaming and not as much with pcm
post #808 of 815 Old 07-01-2020, 10:43 AM

So, everything is working great in the rears and sub for me, however...

I keep getting this very mild crinkle/crackle out of what I believe is the center channel. Dialog (especially deeper voices if I am not mistaken) just has a slight crunchy static. I do not believe this is a connection issue as the sub and rears are coming in perfectly. It even sounds like the rest of the front soundbar is fine, just the center channel.

Thoughts?
post #809 of 815 Old 07-01-2020, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

can anyone answer me if i should select pcm or dolby bitstream on ps4 pro when i connect the ps4 pro to the soundbar directly? I tried PCM and Bitstream and bitstream is much louder for some reason.

I want the best audio and not sure which is best way. And how do I set up the tv to help with the audio. I have the new samsung q90t .....should I do passthrough or auto in the menu of the tv
post #810 of 815 Old 07-04-2020, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Dolby Vision question.

I have an LG OLED CX with eARC connected to eARC on the Q90R.
Using nvidia shield on the soundbar, I play TrueHD (lossless Atmos) and Dolby Vision content, however, the TV labels the content as HDR and not DV as expected when I play DV content from native LG apps.

Is it really possible to play lossless Atmos and Dolby vision at all with this soundbar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Q900 , q90r , Samsung , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page