Samsung Q90R Soundbar - such good sound - SO many bugs - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #61 of 95 Old 07-22-2019, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This soundbar is on my wishlist. I hope these bugs get worked out!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 95 Old 07-24-2019, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbr View Post
Anxiously awaiting user experiences with (only) an eARC connection.
I have the Q90r hooked up through eARC with a LG 65in C9 oled and it works fantastic. Have not had any issues. I have a Panasonic UB900 4k player, Apple 4kTv hooked up through the C9 and the Panasonic passes uncompressed True HD, DTS HD, ATMOS, DTS X through to the Q90r without a problem. First time using eARC and it has been so much nicer than the older ARC from previous Vizio p65 c1 tv.

The soundbar sounds great. It's obviously not as good as my Paradigm ATMOS setup in my basement but I still enjoy watching movies and tv shows with this soundbar in my living room.
ballyerhead likes this.
post #63 of 95 Old 07-24-2019, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDammage28 View Post

I have the Q90r hooked up through eARC with a LG 65in C9 oled and it works fantastic. Have not had any issues. I have a Panasonic UB900 4k player, Apple 4kTv hooked up through the C9 and the Panasonic passes uncompressed True HD, DTS HD, ATMOS, DTS X through to the Q90r without a problem. First time using eARC and it has been so much nicer than the older ARC from previous Vizio p65 c1 tv.

The soundbar sounds great. It's obviously not as good as my Paradigm ATMOS setup in my basement but I still enjoy watching movies and tv shows with this soundbar in my living room.
That’s awesome! How would you rate the Samsung’s prowess with Atmos overhead effects? Do you have the Atmos demo disk, I’m curious to hear your impressions vs your Paradigm setup. Does your basement use ceiling mounted or bouncing Atmos speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 95 Old 07-24-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbr View Post
That’s awesome! How would you rate the Samsung’s prowess with Atmos overhead effects? Do you have the Atmos demo disk, I’m curious to hear your impressions vs your Paradigm setup. Does your basement use ceiling mounted or bouncing Atmos speakers?
I do not have the Atmos demo disk to listen to. The Atmos overhead effects depend on the source I'm watching. I've tried Aqua Man 4k disk and it has pretty good height and separation. Mortal Engines Atmos streamed through iTunes using the Apple 4ktv sounded great as well. I have bouncing Atmos speakers in the basement with my Paradigm Studio series setup. The Paradigms sound a lot better with more separation but they should as each speaker was almost as much as the entire Q90r.

As far as soundbars go the Samsung Q90r is the best sounding soundbar I have heard and soundbars have come a long way from the ones 10 years ago. The Q90r replaced the Samsung MS750 and I thought that sounded good but there is a noticeable difference going to the Q90r. I've never listened to the Nakamichi soundbars but have heard that they sound good as well.
post #65 of 95 Old 07-24-2019, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaddaye View Post
This is awesome input thanks litkaj. I too have been suffering with my Harmony - and the workaround I have settled on was to have everything plugged into the TV (one connect box) EXCEPT the 4K player (as I would otherwise lose ATMOS if I plugged it into the one connect). By only having a single connection to the soundbar - and by telling Harmony NOT to change inputs when jumping from 4K Player (in HDMI 1 on the soundbar) to any other imput - the TV seems to control the switching nicely. I haven't explained it very well I know - but effectively the only time I allow Harmony to change input is when I am using the 4K player (it switches to TV ARC and Soundbar HDMI 1) ... all other times I select "do not set input" when I am setting up the Harmony ... and the TV sets the input for me (no Harmony command required).

The one downside of my current setup though is the terrible lip sync that happens when you have any HD source plugged in to the one connect box. I have an Optus Fetch and a Foxtel IQ4 plugged into the TV one connect box - and any HD channel (except ABC I think) suffers from the lip sync issue. It is not resolvable on the TV or the Fetch or the IQ4 ... as I need negative delay values and all only allow positive changes. The solution is to plug devices directly into the soundbar (definitely no lip sync issues when you do this) - but as you noted - that brings a different issue related to Harmony and the input scrolling on the soundbar (not to mention that there are only two HDMI inputs on the soundbar - so you can't plug three boxes directly into it). Your solution (plugging the Amazon 4k HDMI splitter into HDMI 1 on the soundbar) seems like it will work perfectly for me too (solving the Harmony issues - and hopefully the lip sync issues too) - so thanks so much for taking the time to share that solution with us here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by litkaj View Post
I replaced my Denon AVR & Klipsch speakers with the HW-Q90R on Friday and it was not a smooth process... The goal was to get 4K (my AVR didn't support it), HDR10 (the Shield TV can't do Dolby Vision even though the TV supports it), and shift from 5.1 to 7.1.4 Atmos all in one shot.

The firmware on mine was a bit out of date, I think it was 1006 or something like that, so first step was upgrading to 1008. I just let the update run through the app and haven't had any issues with sub or surround disconnects.

Because my TV doesn't support eARC (and because I don't want a half dozen cords running up to the TV), I was going to plug all my devices into the HDMI 1 & 2 ports on the sound bar (the Shield TV directly into 1 and a 5x1 HDMI switch with everything else into 2). I spent the better part of 6 hours assuming the sound bar was defective because I couldn't get any video through to the TV (a Vizio P65-C1). It turns out that "passthrough" isn't quite as hands-off as implied because with the soundbar in place, none of my devices can sync up to the TV with "Full UHD Color" enabled. As soon as I disabled that feature everything worked, but no HDR as a result (more on this later).

I almost immediately ran into another issue with both HDMI ports in use as the soundbar doesn't have separate commands to select inputs, only a "next input" option which is really irritating to use with a Harmony Remote. I swapped everything over to the switch, now plugged into HDMI 1, and that issue was resolved as my switch (an AmazonBasics 5x1 4K unit, really nice for the price, though it didn't come with a battery for the remote and needs some rubber feet on the bottom to keep it from sliding around) supports specific input commands.

The lack of HDR thing was bugging me since I know it works with a direct connection so, assuming it was a handshake issue, I bought a HDFury Dr HDMI 4K which arrived yesterday. Dropping it inline between the soundbar and TV (with the default settings) allowed me to turn Full UHD Color back on and then change to YUV 420 10-bit Rec 2020, good enough for HDR10. With a direct connection the Shield can do 422 12-bit, so there's still something a bit off, but I'm pretty certain that doesn't matter since I can't do Dolby Vision with the Shield anyway. I have a HDFury Vertex2 on the way so I can get some more details on what's going on with each side and maybe fix it. I'd like to be able to run a computer through at 444 8-bit and right now that doesn't seem possible with just the Dr. HDMI.

As to the sound quality, and this is going to be the shortest review ever, there are times where it's better than my Klipsch setup (anything 5.1 or higher sounds more immersive, especially when in Adaptive Mode) and there are times where it's worse (basically anything 2.0, TV in particular). I need to get the rear speakers raised up because right now they're shooting into the back of my couch. Overall, I'd say it's an improvement.

I got my Amazon Basics 5-way 4K HDMI splitter in the mail yesterday - and have struck an issue. I can't seem to get the Foxtel box to work when plugged in via the Foxtel HDMI lead to the splitter. My guess is that I need another Foxtel branded HDMI lead from the splitter to the soundbar. Either that, or maybe the splitter just does not support the Foxtel box for some reason (the Foxtel box works fine when plugged directly into the Soundbar - but then we strike the soundbar input scrolling Logitech remote issue ... and the Foxtel box also works fine when plugged directly into the Samsung TV One Connect HDMI ports - but then we strike the lip synch issue).

Does anyone has experience with Foxtel via an HDMI switch?
ballyerhead likes this.
post #66 of 95 Old 07-24-2019, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone! Just purchased and setup this soundbar and I’m running into something I simply hope I just don’t understand.. Do the two HDMI inputs remember mode settings? Example: I have a Samsung Q80R television. When I had my devices hooked into the hdmi inputs on the TV, the television remembered “game mode” when I turned my PS4 on. That isn’t happening with this soundbar.

Will I always need to change TV settings depending on the device I am using?

Thanks in advance.
Greg
post #67 of 95 Old 07-25-2019, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaddaye View Post
I got my Amazon Basics 5-way 4K HDMI splitter in the mail yesterday - and have struck an issue. I can't seem to get the Foxtel box to work when plugged in via the Foxtel HDMI lead to the splitter. My guess is that I need another Foxtel branded HDMI lead from the splitter to the soundbar. Either that, or maybe the splitter just does not support the Foxtel box for some reason (the Foxtel box works fine when plugged directly into the Soundbar - but then we strike the soundbar input scrolling Logitech remote issue ... and the Foxtel box also works fine when plugged directly into the Samsung TV One Connect HDMI ports - but then we strike the lip synch issue).

Does anyone has experience with Foxtel via an HDMI switch?
I tried a second Foxtel IQ4 HDMI lead (so the IQ4 connected to the splitter via a Foxtel lead ... then the splitter connected to the soundbar via a Foxtel lead) - but there was still zero audio or picture coming through from Foxtel. As soon as I removed the splitter from the chain (and went direct from Foxtel to the soundbar) - all worked fine again. Maybe it is some sort of security provision built into Foxtel to prevent people splitting the box to multiple rooms or something?

Anyway - the splitter is not a solution for me - and has been retired only 24 hours after I got it
Anyone (who doesn't have Foxtel) want to buy a 5 way HDMI splitter? Going cheap - and only used once
post #68 of 95 Old 07-29-2019, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I just got the new Samsung Q90R soundbar and everything connected up smoothly right from the get go. I had the previous version which sounded great however I opted to go with a full independent system once the wife gave me the go ahead about a year ago. Klipsch reference premiere 5.1.4 system with SVS SB3000 sub. This system wails but to be honest the Q90R system definitely competes with it in overall immersion and overall spatial and vocal clarity. The most notable difference is the sub which can't offer the same chest thumping bowel movement inducing bass as the SVS SB3000 sub (for obvious reasons).

Anyways, Its been about a week and now all of a sudden the LED display that depicts the settings and volume on the bar in the right corner is all garbled and glitched out. It will scroll randomly and sometimes shut off completely. All functions will still work but I can not see what setting is being changed which makes it difficult.

I currently have a Xiaomi 2019 4k UST projector hooked up to the ARC input on the soundbar and a Nvidia Shield hooked up to the HDMI 1 input for my Home Theatre in progress Summer project. As mentioned before, everything was working flawlessly up until a couple days ago. To note, I have not installed the updated drivers that were sent with the soundbar on a USB drive yet so this would be my next step. Just wanted to see if this has been a common issue with anyone else before I move forward with the updated drivers??

- Marcus
post #69 of 95 Old 08-03-2019, 04:36 PM

On sale for 900 bucks this weekend.

Want to pull the trigger, but this thread scares me.
post #70 of 95 Old 08-03-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooper73 View Post

Where is on sale for $900? For that small increase I'd get this over the N950 I think.
post #71 of 95 Old 08-04-2019, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybobjef View Post
Where is on sale for $900? For that small increase I'd get this over the N950 I think.
I paid more for the Q80R soundbar and I’m extremely happy even without the rear speakers. At that, possible, price buying the Q90 is a no brainer.
ballyerhead likes this.
post #72 of 95 Old 08-04-2019, 04:26 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooper73 View Post

Understandable, but mine works fine now after the last software update. In my opinion it’s the best on the market if you want to experience Atmos sound from a soundbar. The Nakamichi gets good reviews but if I was going to have 2 x subs and 2 x side and 2 x rears I’d get an AVR based system. The whole point of an Atmos capable “Soundbar” for me is that’s it’s powerful does its job and doesn’t take up my whole lounge room. Mines 4m wide and 12m long and it fills the room and some.

I still have some handshake issues with my Apple TV 4K but it’s not a deal breaker. I just keep my UBK90 on a separate power point (switched off) till I want to use it. This seems to help in conjunction with putting my ATV 4K to sleep before switching to the UHD Blu-ray player. Hope this helps.
FYI: I’ve had the Samsung N950 and found Bass/Subwoofer on the Q90 much tighter especially with music!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #73 of 95 Old 08-04-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybobjef View Post
Pcmag.com

https://shop.pcmag.com/products/sams...less-subwoofer
post #74 of 95 Old 08-04-2019, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Link for Q90r

I haven’t posted enough to post the link but it’s listed for $899 on pcmag shop website
post #75 of 95 Old 08-05-2019, 04:30 AM

It’s no longer available. Might have been a weekend thing. But they are listing the Q80R bar that I have for a big discount.
https://shop.pcmag.com/products/sams...th-dolby-atmos
post #76 of 95 Old 08-05-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappasbike View Post
It’s no longer available. Might have been a weekend thing. But they are listing the Q80R bar that I have for a big discount.
https://shop.pcmag.com/products/sams...th-dolby-atmos
Its on there right now for 900. Is this a reputable site? I wasn't planning on buying yet but at the price???
post #77 of 95 Old 08-05-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario23 View Post
Its on there right now for 900. Is this a reputable site? I wasn't planning on buying yet but at the price???
I did a search for the 90 and only the 80 and 70 came up. PC magazine is reputable but the shopping site I am not familiar with. I’d check other sources that you know first. I bought my 80 from Amazon. Maybe all are being discounted. Worth checking out.
post #78 of 95 Old 08-06-2019, 08:40 PM

I bought the Q90R soundbar from pcmag and it worked out great! Great customer support. 900 bucks with free shipping and no tax. Came really quick. I did the firmware update and have not had any connection problems whatsoever. I have a 10 year old Samsung and just bought a px65 - g1 Vizio flat screen from Sam's but have not received it. As a result I have not been able to try out any Atmos programming. I got the Vizio because it had a really good review and was a good price at Sam's but it does not have eArc which really concerns me. I wanted a Samsung but those fools don't include Dolby vision which Netflix and Amazon prime have on some things. I might return to Vizio and get something else but just not sure what.
Damar1979 and ballyerhead like this.
post #79 of 95 Old 08-07-2019, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangcbr View Post
I bought the Q90R soundbar from pcmag and it worked out great! Great customer support. 900 bucks with free shipping and no tax. Came really quick. I did the firmware update and have not had any connection problems whatsoever. I have a 10 year old Samsung and just bought a px65 - g1 Vizio flat screen from Sam's but have not received it. As a result I have not been able to try out any Atmos programming. I got the Vizio because it had a really good review and was a good price at Sam's but it does not have eArc which really concerns me. I wanted a Samsung but those fools don't include Dolby vision which Netflix and Amazon prime have on some things. I might return to Vizio and get something else but just not sure what.

but can this q90r passthrough Dolby VIsion as N950??
post #80 of 95 Old 08-07-2019, 10:12 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignazio Deiana View Post
but can this q90r passthrough Dolby VIsion as N950??
From the digitaltrends.com review:

And while Samsung doesn’t like to talk about it since it’s not supported by Samsung TVs, we were also able to pass-through Dolby Vision on an Oppo 203 Blu-ray player.
Ignazio Deiana likes this.
post #81 of 95 Old 08-09-2019, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangcbr View Post
Hope you enjoy the Vizio when you get it! And yes, the Q90r will pass DV.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #82 of 95 Old 08-09-2019, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Can anyone with a Sony TV confirm that this bar is capable passing Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos at the same time? I'm coming from the K950, and while it had many issues in the past, it works great. My only issue was there's no Dolby Vision through the HDMI and no DTS X.

I ordered the HW-Q90R with the hopes that it could rectify these two issues. For reference, I'm using a Sony 75X940E. It would be great if this bar could also decode Atmos from the Built-in VUDU app via ARC, since the K950 can't and it's only outputting Dolby Digital Plus to create Atmos. Thanks in advance.
post #83 of 95 Old 08-09-2019, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidPanama View Post
Can anyone with a Sony TV confirm that this bar is capable passing Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos at the same time? I'm coming from the K950, and while it had many issues in the past, it works great. My only issue was there's no Dolby Vision through the HDMI and no DTS X.

I ordered the HW-Q90R with the hopes that it could rectify these two issues. For reference, I'm using a Sony 75X940E. It would be great if this bar could also decode Atmos from the Built-in VUDU app via ARC, since the K950 can't and it's only outputting Dolby Digital Plus to create Atmos. Thanks in advance.
I know mine's passes HDR10+ and Dolby atmos, it should also do the same for DV and Atmos. However if you're talking about the VUDU app, is your TV eARC compatible? Because that's the only way that the lossless atmos is going to happen, otherwise it's going to go the route of Dolby Digital plus lossy atmos. Just better off going 4K Blu-ray.... Completely uncompressed visual as well as audio

Last edited by Damar1979; 08-09-2019 at 09:18 AM.
post #84 of 95 Old 08-09-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damar1979 View Post
I know mine's passes HDR10+ and Dolby atmos, it should also do the same for DV and Atmos. However if you're talking about the VUDU app, is your TV eARC compatible? Because that's the only way that the lossless atmos is going to happen, otherwise it's going to go the route of Dolby Digital plus lossy atmos. Just better off going 4K Blu-ray.... Completely uncompressed visual as well as audio

My TV, the Sony 75X940E was Sony’s flagship from 2017, so no eARC. However, the VUDU on the TV itself displays Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. All streaming apps use the lossy Dolby Digital Plus version of Atmos. Because of this, I was hoping that the Atmos signal would pass via ARC to the Q90R. As for my plans, I planned on hooking up the Apple TV 4K and Sony UBPX700 directly to the Q90R to get true Dolby Atmos and DTS X. My only concern is that the bar can pass Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos from the aforementioned devices at the same time. Otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose of me getting the Q90R, as I’d be forced to choose between the best picture or best sound.

As of right now, with the Samsung K950, the Apple TV 4K sounds much worse through ARC, since the k950 can receive or decode lossy Dolby Atmos through ARC. So I have to choose between the two, and I chose to run the Apple TV in Dolby Vision, directly to the TV.
post #85 of 95 Old 08-11-2019, 06:35 AM

Hope someone can tell how do I stream music from NAS to this soundbar. Can’t find any folder in the SmartThings app, unlike my previous Samsung MS750 soundbar. Does this soundbar support DLNA?
post #86 of 95 Old 08-11-2019, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi, new member here.
Just bought a Samsung Q90r TV and Q90r Soundbar. I am having trouble getting the soundbar connected to Wifi. Is there a simple way of doing this? I'm trying to add it through the smart things app and then pressing the network button on the back of the soundbar, but it never connects.
Also, what rear speaker stands would you recommend for the Q90R?
Cheers!
post #87 of 95 Old 08-12-2019, 03:39 AM

I have the Q80R bar which is the same as the 90 minus the rears. I never messed with the controls on the bar itself for WiFi. The SmartThings app is all that’s needed once you create your account. I don’t remember the specific sequence but I think once you set the input source to WiFi you just follow the app’s instructions to enter your network name and password. It was very quick and easy. I never touched the Network button on the bar.
post #88 of 95 Old 08-14-2019, 07:41 PM

Well, I answered my own questions after receiving the Soundbar yesterday. I can confirm to everyone who has similar concerns, that yes, this soundbar can pass the Double D (Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos). I hooked up my finicky Apple TV 4K, and everything worked fantastic. The same is true for passing Dolby Atmos through ARC via my TV’s (Sony 75X940E) streaming apps that use Dolby Digital Plus encoded Atmos. Now my only issue is finding the right settings to make everything sound as good as possible. By this I mean figuring the right levels for all speakers.
cydeweyz and ballyerhead like this.
post #89 of 95 Old 08-14-2019, 11:26 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran O'Connor View Post
Hi, new member here.

Just bought a Samsung Q90r TV and Q90r Soundbar. I am having trouble getting the soundbar connected to Wifi. Is there a simple way of doing this? I'm trying to add it through the smart things app and then pressing the network button on the back of the soundbar, but it never connects.

Also, what rear speaker stands would you recommend for the Q90R?

Cheers!

Make sure the unit is in Wi-Fi mode before you hit the network button underneath the Q90 also make sure phone and Q90 are on same network if your SmartThings app is on your phone. I already had my Samsung tv linked to the app the process was reasonably straight forward you get 3 or 4 prompts re: Wi-Fi password and you need to hold down a volume key when prompted! You can also update software definitely do this!!

Most rear speaker stands are spindly and an issue with kids and dogs for me. I built an Ikea book case on one side and the piano top on the other side is safe and discrete! Hides the wires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #90 of 95 Old 08-15-2019, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am thinking to buy q90r because the price difference with n950 is modest. Unless I found a used n950 here in uk

My system is lg c7, xbox, nvidia shield
I have queries
What is the difference between q90r and q90n?

Has The q90r the same problem of the n950 for Auto-off after 5 minutes?

Is the voice clear with this soundbar?

Also does Auto level the volume when for instance we have a peak like for advertisings

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Q900 , q90r , Samsung , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page