Samsung Q90R Soundbar - such good sound - SO many bugs - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #91 of 165 Old 08-15-2019, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignazio Deiana View Post
I am thinking to buy q90r because the price difference with n950 is modest. Unless I found a used n950 here in uk

My system is lg c7, xbox, nvidia shield
I have queries
What is the difference between q90r and q90n?

Has The q90r the same problem of the n950 for Auto-off after 5 minutes?

Is the voice clear with this soundbar?

Also does Auto level the volume when for instance we have a peak like for advertisings

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
Love this soundbar! Seriously it's a great piece of kit!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 165 Old 08-15-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Im considering this sound bar over the Nakamichi ultra 9.2.4. This one seems to have less sync issues and supports eARC. You do lose the second sub but it's getting good reviews for sound quality and I like that the rears are wireless. Much better in my mind then wireless subs in the nakamichi. And I like that I can go hear it where I might buy it.
ballyerhead likes this.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #93 of 165 Old 08-15-2019, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does it support the 5ghz bands or just 2.4

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 165 Old 08-16-2019, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey View Post
Does it support the 5ghz bands or just 2.4
I have the Q80 which is the same minus the rests. It can use the 5GHz band. All handled through the SmartThings app and very simple to set up.
post #95 of 165 Old 08-18-2019, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Samsung Q90R Soundbar - such good sound - SO many bugs

Which wall mounts are you guys using for the rear speakers?

Samsung 65KS9800 | Denon x4300H | 7.1| OPPO UDP-203 | Xbox One S | PS4 Pro
post #96 of 165 Old 08-18-2019, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I use the Monoprice Low Profile 22 lb capacity Speaker mounts from Amazon. They are cheap in price but work great!
I can't link it due to my post count.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #97 of 165 Old 08-18-2019, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock17er View Post
I use the Monoprice Low Profile 22 lb capacity Speaker mounts from Amazon. They are cheap in price but work great!
I can't link it due to my post count.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks. I’ll put in an order for those
glock17er likes this.

Samsung 65KS9800 | Denon x4300H | 7.1| OPPO UDP-203 | Xbox One S | PS4 Pro
post #98 of 165 Old 08-18-2019, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I have used an atmos test disc for tones to try and equalize the output.

BUT I have no sound at all when testing the subwoofer output, but the sub works on all the channels.

Is this normal?
post #99 of 165 Old 08-19-2019, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2393 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
How is the new eArc update working...?

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion
post #100 of 165 Old 08-25-2019, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
For the people who own this Soundbar, since there is no onscreen display or audio calibration, how do you optimize sound? Everyone’s ceilings and living rooms are different, so I know that there’s no “one size fits all” tweak, but do people leave everything at factory defaults, or change settings? The reason I ask is because I’m told that making the height channels too loud or quiet can have an adverse effect on hearing the bounce effect? Everything sounds great to my ears, but I know that my settings are off. It’s missing fine balance after I messed with the settings.
[email protected] likes this.
post #101 of 165 Old 08-25-2019, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 80
You can adjust speaker levels while playing the the Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 test tones on blu-ray.

Nvidia Shield - Zidoo X9S - HTPC/MPC-HC
Oppo 203 - Samsung HW-N950 - 7.2.4
LG 86UH9500
post #102 of 165 Old 08-25-2019, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by super kermit View Post
I have used an atmos test disc for tones to try and equalize the output.

BUT I have no sound at all when testing the subwoofer output, but the sub works on all the channels.

Is this normal?
Try unplugging and replugging the sub. Also try the same with the soundbar.

Sometimes things don’t sync up correctly.

Also make sure your blu-ray player audio output is set to bitstream. And make sure you are not downmixing.

Nvidia Shield - Zidoo X9S - HTPC/MPC-HC
Oppo 203 - Samsung HW-N950 - 7.2.4
LG 86UH9500
post #103 of 165 Old 08-26-2019, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidPanama View Post
For the people who own this Soundbar, since there is no onscreen display or audio calibration, how do you optimize sound? Everyone’s ceilings and living rooms are different, so I know that there’s no “one size fits all” tweak, but do people leave everything at factory defaults, or change settings? The reason I ask is because I’m told that making the height channels too loud or quiet can have an adverse effect on hearing the bounce effect? Everything sounds great to my ears, but I know that my settings are off. It’s missing fine balance after I messed with the settings.
In regards to the height channel volume level, I have been wondering the same thing too. I watched a review on youtube, for the N950, and the reviewer said that louder is not always better when it comes to the volume of the upfiring speakers. When I first set up my system, I set all the height channels to +6 thinking that would translate to better height effects. I have since moved them to +5 and will give +4 a shot as well, to see if I notice a difference.

My ceiling is only about 8ft high, so +6 was overkill and more than likely the soundwaves hit the ceiling with too much force, which you don't want it you want height effects.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #104 of 165 Old 08-26-2019, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
In regards to the height channel volume level, I have been wondering the same thing too. I watched a review on youtube, for the N950, and the reviewer said that louder is not always better when it comes to the volume of the upfiring speakers. When I first set up my system, I set all the height channels to +6 thinking that would translate to better height effects. I have since moved them to +5 and will give +4 a shot as well, to see if I notice a difference.

My ceiling is only about 8ft high, so +6 was overkill and more than likely the soundwaves hit the ceiling with too much force, which you don't want it you want height effects.
Thanks for the reply. It's hard to tweak since there is no Audyssey type mic or calibration of any sort, as well as the complete absence of a GUI. We're literally playing this by ear. Everything sounds great, but I know my height channels are slightly off balance. I noticed that my Apple TV isn't as loud as the Built-in VUDU app pushing Atmos. I have quite a few 4k movies, so I have to see which is best to test the proper levels to all channels.

For what it's worth, I still think this speaker set sounds anywhere from great to incredible with DTS X and Atmos, using the right movie. Like Pacific Rim.
post #105 of 165 Old 08-27-2019, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaddaye View Post
If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions - I am very open to them.
One suggestion that might work while you wait for Samsung is to try a smart plug + home assistant for the Bluray player? If the problem goes away by power cycling then perhaps the ability to voice control to quickly and easily turn off the bluray player after use might workaround some of the pain?

Just a suggestion.
post #106 of 165 Old 08-27-2019, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDammage28 View Post
I have the Q90r hooked up through eARC with a LG 65in C9 oled. Have not had any issues.
I have this same setup but I have a problem I am hoping you might be able to help me with? My problem is that when I turn on the TV, the soundbar turns on automatically - but there's no sound.
To get it working properly, i need to cycle through the inputs on the soundbar (ARC, HDMI1, HDMI2, WIFI, BT, back to ARC) then it all comes alive and works perfectly. I have e-ARC enabled on the TV.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
post #107 of 165 Old 08-27-2019, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Pi View Post
One suggestion that might work while you wait for Samsung is to try a smart plug + home assistant for the Bluray player? If the problem goes away by power cycling then perhaps the ability to voice control to quickly and easily turn off the bluray player after use might workaround some of the pain?

Just a suggestion.

Thanks Rob. I actually did look into that briefly - but ended up instead just plugging the BluRay player into a switchable socket (meaning it was just a quick flick of a switch to power cycle). Since then though - I found the cause of the problem and resolved it once and for all. The cause was the Samsung gear and the Panasonic Blu Ray player would handshake initially, but the Panasonic would not "unshake" at the end of usage (hanging onto the CEC ... so that no other device could use it until the Panasonic was power cycled). The solution was to find out what Panasonic calls CEC (turned out to be "Viera Link") and turn it off in the Panasonic settings. I have not had a recurrence of the issue since. The only VERY small downside is that without CEC, the Samsung Gear cannot tell the Panasonic player to turn on and off when required - but as I have a Logitech Harmony remote I do not need Samsung telling devices to turn on and off as the Harmony does that job.
ballyerhead likes this.
post #108 of 165 Old 08-29-2019, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Pi View Post
I have this same setup but I have a problem I am hoping you might be able to help me with? My problem is that when I turn on the TV, the soundbar turns on automatically - but there's no sound.
To get it working properly, i need to cycle through the inputs on the soundbar (ARC, HDMI1, HDMI2, WIFI, BT, back to ARC) then it all comes alive and works perfectly. I have e-ARC enabled on the TV.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
There’s a setting on the tv, I have a Sony and the setting that worked for me was Customize Tv key. It was one of the options under Manage External Inputs. That controls the button labeled TV on the tv’s remote control. Without that the soundbar would turn on in the D.IN setting instead of the proper ARC setting. I was able to label the ARC port to Samsung on my tv and then set that tv key to it. After that whenever the tv comes on it turns the soundbar on in that setting.
post #109 of 165 Old 08-29-2019, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 112
So what's general consensus on this currently? Is it still as bug laden as the OP said or has newer models remedied the issues? I'm interested in purchasing one after reading on how great the sound quality is but the sync issues mentioned here kinda really stops me from taking the plunge.

Display Sony 65"ZD9
post #110 of 165 Old 08-29-2019, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone26 View Post
So what's general consensus on this currently? Is it still as bug laden as the OP said or has newer models remedied the issues? I'm interested in purchasing one after reading on how great the sound quality is but the sync issues mentioned here kinda really stops me from taking the plunge.
Since I'm the OP - I guess I will kick things off.

Regarding the issues:
  • The rear disconnect problem got resolved ages ago with the firmware update.
  • The lip sync issues I was noticing seem to have all but gone. Either I have gotten used to them (doubt it) - or they have lessened / gone away due to some sort of change from the TV broadcaster.
  • The failure of the soundbar to talk to the TV (after playing a 4K disc) has been resolved by me turning off Viera Link in the Panasonic 4K player settings.

So - the only remaining occasional issue (probably has happened just twice) is that my 4K player is occasionally ignored by the TV / soundbar (it is as if it is not even there) ... but a power down, remove and replug HDMI leads, power up - has fixed it on the rare occasion it has happened (and that issue is possibly to do with the 4K player).

In short - I love this soundbar and am so glad I persevered and resolved all my issues. The bass is incredible, the surround is next level. Even now - a couple of months down the track - I still look for opportunities most days to try something new on it. I watched an older Blu Ray title the other day (not even 4K ... just plain old Blu Ray ... although admittedly with DTS HD 7.1) - The Equalizer with Denzel Washington. Blew me away. So much ambient noise in the rears - even sounds travelling across between the rears in one scene near the end - it is something to behold. And if you like the sound of bullet casings hitting the ground - you will enjoy this movie with this sound bar.

SUMMARY - take the plunge - you won't regret it.
theone26 and ballyerhead like this.
post #111 of 165 Old 08-30-2019, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your summary. I'm looking forward to matching this soundbar up with an LG C9 in my new house soon!
All the information on here is always helpful.
post #112 of 165 Old 08-31-2019, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaddaye View Post
Since I'm the OP - I guess I will kick things off.

Regarding the issues:
  • The rear disconnect problem got resolved ages ago with the firmware update.
  • The lip sync issues I was noticing seem to have all but gone. Either I have gotten used to them (doubt it) - or they have lessened / gone away due to some sort of change from the TV broadcaster.
  • The failure of the soundbar to talk to the TV (after playing a 4K disc) has been resolved by me turning off Viera Link in the Panasonic 4K player settings.

So - the only remaining occasional issue (probably has happened just twice) is that my 4K player is occasionally ignored by the TV / soundbar (it is as if it is not even there) ... but a power down, remove and replug HDMI leads, power up - has fixed it on the rare occasion it has happened (and that issue is possibly to do with the 4K player).

In short - I love this soundbar and am so glad I persevered and resolved all my issues. The bass is incredible, the surround is next level. Even now - a couple of months down the track - I still look for opportunities most days to try something new on it. I watched an older Blu Ray title the other day (not even 4K ... just plain old Blu Ray ... although admittedly with DTS HD 7.1) - The Equalizer with Denzel Washington. Blew me away. So much ambient noise in the rears - even sounds travelling across between the rears in one scene near the end - it is something to behold. And if you like the sound of bullet casings hitting the ground - you will enjoy this movie with this sound bar.

SUMMARY - take the plunge - you won't regret it.
Thanks for the detailed insight, gonna pick it up tomorrow and let the Atmos rock my living room .
One question, I've tried the Sony Z9RF before but somehow my ears were having some sort of discomfort after listening for a hour or two, it's almost like pressure building up in the ear, never had that in the movie cinema tho, I don't suppose you get any of that with the Samsung do you?

Display Sony 65"ZD9
post #113 of 165 Old 08-31-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just got mine last week. It does everything as advertised with minimal effort. Have never experienced one single speaker disconnect issue. It just works. It's not sperates and on multiple levels that's a great thing. This sound bar replaced my built in Sony A1E TV speakers and passes all signals with ease. Did have one hiccup one time switching from Bluray uhd to Vudu on the XBOX 360 HDMI handshake issue, easily resolved.

post #114 of 165 Old 08-31-2019, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I purchased this soundbar based on reviews and such. The bass is absolutely useless on it. I have SW level set to 6, and I'm not getting much out of it.

What am I missing?
post #115 of 165 Old 08-31-2019, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Where can I get a longer replacement power cord for the rear speaker? I got one from AliExpress labelled “c7 figure 8” but it’s too big to plug in. Hope someone can help. Thanks.
post #116 of 165 Old 09-01-2019, 01:43 AM

Just bought mine today, do I still have to install the firmware update? The stock available today should have the latest update pre installed right?

Display Sony 65"ZD9
post #117 of 165 Old 09-01-2019, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Just bought mine today, do I still have to install the firmware update? The stock available today should have the latest update pre installed right?

Check on the Smart Things app. The 1.008 update is the one you need that fixes the rear speakers having to be reset daily!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #118 of 165 Old 09-01-2019, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballyerhead View Post
Check on the Smart Things app. The 1.008 update is the one you need that fixes the rear speakers having to be reset daily!

Ok thanks, just updated the soundbar to 1008. Now do I also have to update the subwoofer and rear speakers or they're fine as it is?

Display Sony 65"ZD9
post #119 of 165 Old 09-01-2019, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Ok thanks, just updated the soundbar to 1008. Now do I also have to update the subwoofer and rear speakers or they're fine as it is?

Should be fine, any issues refer to the reviews on the Samsung website - Samsung give directions on how to address this exact problem. Most people downloaded it with out issue

post #120 of 165 Old 09-01-2019, 02:52 AM

I'm pretty sure I messed up the Sub and rear speakers update sequence but never the less they're working fine using the latest version 1008.0. I swear to god Samsung's usb update steps are the most tedious and confusing ever.
The sound itself is amazing, I'm loving it so far. Just hope there's a wider text display section or even better an onscreen display.

Display Sony 65"ZD9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Q900 , q90r , Samsung , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page