Samsung Q90R Soundbar - such good sound - SO many bugs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #1 of 59 Old 06-22-2019, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Samsung Q90R Soundbar - such good sound - SO many bugs

Like many people - I bought the Q90R soundbar and have had issues. I thought I would list them all off here - so that others won't feel so alone when they encounter any of these. Note that I am currently on my second of these - having returned the first yesterday. It is connected to a Q900 Samsung TV via an HDMI 2.0 18gbps lead between soundbar ARC/TV port and the TV ARC HDMI port (HDMI port 3 in my case).

INITIAL NOTES:
My first Q90R might have been a Samsung repackaged model (returned by a previous customer - which would happen a LOT). It was too well done to have been refurb'd by a store - but there were three differences to the second one I got.
1. The first one had no promotional sticker on the soundbar itself
2. The first one had white 2 way power lead prong covers on two of the power leads and black 3 ways on the other two. My second one had black 3 ways on all four leads
3. The first one sync'd beautifully on start up (as if it might have been through sync process before), the second one needed manual syncing
4. The firmware in the first one needed updating (maybe an earlier batch?) - but the firmware in the second one was already up to date (maybe a later batch?)

Ok - now onto the faults.
1. If you plug anything OTHER than your TV into the optical input in the soundbar - it does not seem to like it. The device works ... but then seems to cause the TV and soundbar to not see each other (having said that - LOTS of things seem to cause the TV and the soundbar not to see each other). Common symptoms include the TV turning on - but the soundbar NOT turning on (even though the TV turning on should signal the soundbar and turn it on too), and the TV turning on and playing audio through TV SPEAKER (as it can't see the soundbar).

2. If you plug anything into the HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 soundbar ports - it does not seem to like it. It seems to cause the TV and soundbar to not see each other. Common symptoms include the TV turning on - but the soundbar NOT turning on (even though the TV turning on should signal the soundbar and turn it on too), and the TV turning on and playing audio through TV SPEAKER (as it can't see the soundbar).

3. When the TV can't see the soundbar - if you go into the TV SETTINGS SOUND it will show that you are on TV Speaker. It will always show the SoundBar WiFi connection as an option (not that I want to use that option) ... but it should also show the Soundbar HDMI connection as an option. Sometimes it lists the HDMI option correctly ... but when you click on it, the option disappears. Other times it lists the HDMI option by a different name (I can't recall it at the moment) - but it also disappears when you select it. Other times it does not show it as an option at all (at which point you can either unplug power to the soundbar and start it all up again OR you can disconnect anything that you have plugged into HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 in the soundbar and that seems to wake it up to talk to the TV again

4. If you change the device name of anything connected to the soundbar HDMI port (eg. on your TV you call something BLURAY PLAYER) - it will forget that name as soon as your soundbar and TV stop talking to each other ... and will rename it something generic like PANASONIC-SAMSUNG (in my case I have a Panasonic Bluray player)

5. HDMI 2 on the soundbar caused me black screen issues (where audio would travel from the device to the soundbar ... but video would not travel from the device to the soundbar to the TV). This MAY have been a faulty lead ... or a lead with old HDMI standards (with so many issues - I can't recall - it is all starting to blur together)

6. As has been documented extensively - the rears and sub seem to disconnect periodically. Unplugging and replugging the left rear doesn't fix it for me - it needs the rears and sub all to be unplugged and replugged ... and sometimes the soundbar too.

7. Sound glitches / drop outs when playing DTS-X and Dolby Atmos from 4K Bluray player via HDMI one on the soundbar (MIGHT be a faulty lead or old standard HDMI lead eg 1.3 ... I am still experimenting but it was complicated by a brand new HDMI 2.0 lead which seems to have an erratic fault or perhaps a break in the lead ... I have removed that one from service now and my testing continues).

All of the above happened with my first Q90R. So far only items 1-4 (all related to the TV and soundbar not seeing each other) have happened with the second Q90R (but it is early days as I have only had it 24 hours).

My learnings so far include:
(a) Only use high quality 18gbps HDMI 2.0 or above leads to connect anything in or out of the soundbar (eg. the TV ARC link between soundbar and TV, and any 4K device like Foxtel or 4K Bluray player that you connect into the soundbar)
(b) Unless you REALLY need to plug something into the soundbar - don't. The soundbar does not like things being plugged into it.
Eg. Foxtel IQ4 does not output Dolby Atmos ... so I can plug it straight into the TV (there is no benefit to plugging it into the Soundbar). However - my Panasonic 4K Bluray player DOES output Dolby Atmos and as my Q900 TV cannot passthrough ATMOS, I need to plug the 4K Player into the soundbar.
(c) If your soundbar and TV aren't seeing each other - try unplugging anything from either of the soundbar HDMI ports for a moment. I have had this "wake up" the connection on multiple occasions.

I have just ordered 2 Monoprice HDMI 2.0 Certified 18gbps leads from Amazon - and will try these between 4K player and soundbar, and TV and soundbar (to rule out any lead issues). Note that I had previously bought 4 brand new LASER HDMI 2.0 18gbps leads from Harvey - but one of these seems faulty so I no longer trust them. If that doesn't fix things - then I am considering leaving my 4K player disconnected from the soundbar ... and then physically plugging in the HDMI lead to the soundbar just when I want to watch an ATMOS 4K disc. Another option I am yet to explore is connecting the 4K player to the TV via HDMI for the video stream ... but using the optical out of the player to send audio to the optical in of the soundbar (not sure if ATMOS can travel along this path though ... and it will also confuse the TV and soundbar a expect?).

Bottom line
When this beast works - it is truly amazing. Coming from the old school of massive AMP, massive tall front speakers, big wired rear speaker on wall mounts, and TWO massive subs ... I thought this might be a step back - but it is quite the opposite. I have a reasonable size lounge room - and we can only turn the volume up to around 25 (out of 100) as it is just too loud beyond that. The clarity is amazing too. The only reason I have put so much effort into debugging all these issues is because I love the sound that much that I am willing to go through some initial pain. I hope my post helps someone - or at least makes them not feel so alone!
ballyerhead likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 06-23-2019, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Regarding this item:

3. When the TV can't see the soundbar - if you go into the TV SETTINGS SOUND it will show that you are on TV Speaker. It will always show the SoundBar WiFi connection as an option (not that I want to use that option) ... but it should also show the Soundbar HDMI connection as an option. Sometimes it lists the HDMI option correctly ... but when you click on it, the option disappears. Other times it lists the HDMI option by a different name (I can't recall it at the moment) - but it also disappears when you select it. Other times it does not show it as an option at all (at which point you can either unplug power to the soundbar and start it all up again OR you can disconnect anything that you have plugged into HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 in the soundbar and that seems to wake it up to talk to the TV again)

It appears that it was a fluke that disconnecting something from HDMI 1 on the soundbar woke the soundbar up and caused it to talk to the TV again. I've just had the issue occur again - and no amount of disconnecting and reconnecting HDMI 1 would wake up the connection. However - I did try disconnecting the ARC HDMI link from the soundbar to the TV - and it appears to have reestablished the link. Strangely - when I disconnected just the soundbar end of the ARC link and then reconnected it - nothing happened (still no link between soundbar and TV) BUT when I disconnected the TV (one connect) end of the HDMI ARC and reconnected it - the TV and soundbar started talking happily again.

Also - for the record - on my TV the Soundbar shows up as [AV] Soundbar Q90R(HDMI) when all is working correctly. When this option is not present in the SOUND OUTPUT list on the TV - then the soundbar and TV are not talking. The phantom SOUND OUTPUT option that sometimes pops up (and disappears as soon as you click on it) is Receiver (HDMI). I can make this one appear by turning everything off ... then turning on just the sound bar ... then turning on the TV. For some reason - if you do things in this order - the TV and soundbar sort of see each other until you try to select Receiver (HDMI) as a sound output option (and then it disappears and you are left with no HDMI connection options between sound bar and TV).

I am now testing with a known stable (Foxtel IQ4) HDMI cable between Soundbar and TV ARC to see if that helps!
ballyerhead likes this.
post #3 of 59 Old 06-24-2019, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Not that I’m in the market right now but all of this makes me think the only thing I’ll ever want to plug into a high end soundbar is an eARC cable.... let the TV worry about all this stuff.
ballyerhead likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 Old 06-24-2019, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately for me - Samsung TVs are not eARC enabled.

A further update on my testing - when I turned my gear on today, again the TV and soundbar were not talking. This time it made zero difference to unplug the ARC lead - and the only resolution was unplugging power to the soundbar and then plugging it back in. Sounded great again after that - but we really shouldn't have to power cycle our appliances to use them. Maybe I need to get one of those power saving sockets that completely kills power to your appliance when you switch it off?
ballyerhead likes this.
post #5 of 59 Old 06-24-2019, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbr View Post
Not that I’m in the market right now but all of this makes me think the only thing I’ll ever want to plug into a high end soundbar is an eARC cable.... let the TV worry about all this stuff.

Your rear speakers may still disconnect!
I returned the N950 and now having the same connection issues as above!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 59 Old 06-24-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaddaye View Post
Unfortunately for me - Samsung TVs are not eARC enabled.

A further update on my testing - when I turned my gear on today, again the TV and soundbar were not talking. This time it made zero difference to unplug the ARC lead - and the only resolution was unplugging power to the soundbar and then plugging it back in. Sounded great again after that - but we really shouldn't have to power cycle our appliances to use them. Maybe I need to get one of those power saving sockets that completely kills power to your appliance when you switch it off?

I have QF90 and only thing that works for me to reconnect rears and sub after power down is the ID set from soundbar(not remote). To do this you hold down + and - on the soundbar and wait for the ID set to Flash on display. I’m still filthy that a $2000 soundbar causes so many problems. But when it’s working it’s amazing!!
I’m going to log a service call with Samsung but I refuse to remove it from wall mounts and pull cables etc to return as I believe all models have this fault and in Australia a service tech can attend your home. Keep you all posted!

post #7 of 59 Old 06-24-2019, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballyerhead View Post
I have QF90 and only thing that works for me to reconnect rears and sub after power down is the ID set from soundbar(not remote). To do this you hold down + and - on the soundbar and wait for the ID set to Flash on display. I’m still filthy that a $2000 soundbar causes so many problems. But when it’s working it’s amazing!!
I’m going to log a service call with Samsung but I refuse to remove it from wall mounts and pull cables etc to return as I believe all models have this fault and in Australia a service tech can attend your home. Keep you all posted!

You know what is really strange? My first Q90R would lose connectivity with the rears and sub ... but so far my second one hasn't. Admittedly it has only been 3 days - but this new one definitely seems to be less buggy so far (only losing connectivity with my Samsung TV!!).

I agree with you about the $2k price tag (although fortunately I got mine for nearly half that). It just stuns me that a brand new 2019 Samsung soundbar and a brand new 2019 Samsung TV don't reliably connect to each other - you would think that this would have been an obvious first test.

When I logged the initial bugs Samsung regarding connectivity issues between my first Q90R and my Q900 TV - they told me that I am entitled to one free home visit for an installation check up in the first 3 months after buying my TV ... then a free on site heath check at 6 months ... then a free on site health check at 12 months. Once I have tested every possible workaround / solution, I think I will be kicking off free home visit number 1 (in conjunction with logging a problem with the help desk, leaving a review on productreview.com.au, leaving a review on Samsung.com.au, and continuing to update folks here).

I just had a horrible thought. What if my current problem (lack of talk between TV and soundbar) is actually the TVs fault? That will be a whole new level of pain if the TV needs to come off the wall and get swapped out! And - thinking about it - the TV does lose its memory as to what devices have been hooked up to it (sometimes renames them - other times just loses them and has to rediscover them). Maybe the Q900 TV is buggy too? Gulp ...
ballyerhead likes this.
post #8 of 59 Old 06-24-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
You know what is really strange? My first Q90R would lose connectivity with the rears and sub ... but so far my second one hasn't. Admittedly it has only been 3 days - but this new one definitely seems to be less buggy so far (only losing connectivity with my Samsung TV!!).

I agree with you about the $2k price tag (although fortunately I got mine for nearly half that). It just stuns me that a brand new 2019 Samsung soundbar and a brand new 2019 Samsung TV don't reliably connect to each other - you would think that this would have been an obvious first test.

When I logged the initial bugs Samsung regarding connectivity issues between my first Q90R and my Q900 TV - they told me that I am entitled to one free home visit for an installation check up in the first 3 months after buying my TV ... then a free on site heath check at 6 months ... then a free on site health check at 12 months. Once I have tested every possible workaround / solution, I think I will be kicking off free home visit number 1 (in conjunction with logging a problem with the help desk, leaving a review on productreview.com.au, leaving a review on Samsung.com.au, and continuing to update folks here).

I just had a horrible thought. What if my current problem (lack of talk between TV and soundbar) is actually the TVs fault? That will be a whole new level of pain if the TV needs to come off the wall and get swapped out! And - thinking about it - the TV does lose its memory as to what devices have been hooked up to it (sometimes renames them - other times just loses them and has to rediscover them). Maybe the Q900 TV is buggy too? Gulp ...

Will do on the service call, over next 2 days and keep site updated for sure. Hope it isn’t your TV that’s the issue that would really suck! I paid $1400AUD for my original N950 then returned it for straight swap on Q90!
Subwoofer is much better on the Q90 and the Adaptive sound is also an improvement for sport

post #9 of 59 Old 06-24-2019, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. I haven't really tried Adaptive sound much yet (I don't really know what it is meant to do) - so I'll give it a shot.

Good luck with that service call - hope you get a switched on service person!
ballyerhead likes this.
post #10 of 59 Old 06-24-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I haven't really tried Adaptive sound much yet (I don't really know what it is meant to do) - so I'll give it a shot.

Good luck with that service call - hope you get a switched on service person!

Get Black Hawk Down on UHD or as the AV reviews said Haunting of Hill house episode 6 on Netflix Atmos.
Adaptive Sound regulates the sound to the suit type of broadcast. Better commentary on noisy sports broadcast etc! It’s good on 5.1 Netflix also

post #11 of 59 Old 06-25-2019, 06:02 PM

There’s another 2 x updates folks 7 & 8, I’m did both this morning on SmartThings. I can only surmise that this is in response to our well published connection issues! I had some success yesterday being able to turn on /off the Q90 via the tv power button thus putting Tv and Q90 in standby and successfully returning to full speaker connection!!!
This was all for nothing ad this morning connection issues were back!
I places a service call yesterday while driving home and I got the call centre in the Phillipines. I explained that this was my second soundbar (N950/Q90) and would require a home service call. They set one up for me and when I called the service provider on the Sunshine Coast they told me “Yeah, they will promise you anything over the phone, we do not do house calls.Ever!!
So today I will call to see if the tech can tell me something I don’t already know and log in through my Samsung TV (remote in) this is more valuable to me as the process involves my tv and my internet environment in real time!
I am hopeful that the double update has Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8238.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	2584520 a fix built in as my system currently works however it has not had its first nights sleep with the new updates!!

post #12 of 59 Old 06-25-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:

Ok, here we go!
Updated to 10008.0
Called Samsung tech, he was good and walked me through resetting my Samsung TV first, that’s something I didn’t think of
I then turned off the Q90, and proceeded to hit the ID set on each of the Bluetooth items Sub then Left rear then Right rear. I then pressed the Up button on the remote for 5sec it so till the ID set on the bar displayed. Note that this is the direction “Up” button remote not the Volume Up!

So tonight is the Big Test!
My feedback as you will see on the Samsung.com stated that we “The Customers” need to know what is being fixed in the updates???? What should be a No Brainer is that the Tech Support staff should be able to tell us at a minimum! They just give a standard answer re: that’s for the engineer to decide. I know.......don’t get me started!! Anyway, the take aways are
1. Reset your Samsung TV which runs a diagnostic on conected devices.
2. Reset each Bluetooth device with the Bar switched off then wake it by holding the direction “Up” button for 5 sec till ID set appears on the display.
3. Update each software update till 1008.0 via SmartThings app.

Good luck everyone with this, tomorrow is a new day!

Scaddaye, do the TV reset under the support Tab in TV settings. It specifically resets the connection to connected devices and you have visual confirmation on screen

post #13 of 59 Old 06-26-2019, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Paying close attention to this thread with baited bread. Will be having my LG C9 and Q90R installed in the next couple of days.
Thank you for all the details and updates you're providing
ballyerhead likes this.
post #14 of 59 Old 06-26-2019, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Is there any proof that the HW-Q90R supports eARC? I saw one review that said it did (though there's no indication they actually tested it), and I can't find any mention of eARC on either the product page or in the manual.
ballyerhead likes this.
post #15 of 59 Old 06-26-2019, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Manderin View Post
Is there any proof that the HW-Q90R supports eARC? I saw one review that said it did (though there's no indication they actually tested it), and I can't find any mention of eARC on either the product page or in the manual.
It was in firmware 10006 as an update
post #16 of 59 Old 06-26-2019, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Ok, here we go!
Updated to 10008.0
Called Samsung tech, he was good and walked me through resetting my Samsung TV first, that’s something I didn’t think of
I then turned off the Q90, and proceeded to hit the ID set on each of the Bluetooth items Sub then Left rear then Right rear. I then pressed the Up button on the remote for 5sec it so till the ID set on the bar displayed. Note that this is the direction “Up” button remote not the Volume Up!

So tonight is the Big Test!
My feedback as you will see on the Samsung.com stated that we “The Customers” need to know what is being fixed in the updates???? What should be a No Brainer is that the Tech Support staff should be able to tell us at a minimum! They just give a standard answer re: that’s for the engineer to decide. I know.......don’t get me started!! Anyway, the take aways are
1. Reset your Samsung TV which runs a diagnostic on conected devices.
2. Reset each Bluetooth device with the Bar switched off then wake it by holding the direction “Up” button for 5 sec till ID set appears on the display.
3. Update each software update till 1008.0 via SmartThings app.

Good luck everyone with this, tomorrow is a new day!

Scaddaye, do the TV reset under the support Tab in TV settings. It specifically resets the connection to connected devices and you have visual confirmation on screen

Thanks for the tips. Yesterday I reset my TV (using the TV factory reset function in one menu AND the smartbox reset function in the support menu), then I checked my Soundbar firmware (had already automatically updated to 1008.0). I went through all the setup of the TV and connected devices all over again. Everything looked great. So I switched it off - and came back a couple of hours later to watch something - and the old issue returned. TV does not see the soundbar via HDMI. Only solution that works every time is to physically unplug the soundbar from power - then plug it back in.

I do NOT have any issue with the sub and rears disconnecting ... and on this bar I have never had that issue. My only issue is that the TV and soundbar don't talk to each other properly.

To recap:
Sometimes I turn on the TV - and the soundbar does not automatically switch on. When this happens - I manually power on the sound bar. About half the time the TV will send sound to the bar via HDMI ... and the other half of the time I either get a phantom listing in the sound settings option on the TV (a setting that LOOKS like it knows the soundbar is there - but when you click on it, it disappears and you are still left with just sound from the TV speakers). The only cure for this is to unplug the bar from power and replug it back in.

Other times I turn on the TV and the soundbar DOES turn on automatcially. You'd think this would be a good sign - but it isn't. About half the time the TV will send sound to the bar via HDMI ... and the other half of the time I either get a phantom listing in the sound settings option on the TV (a setting that LOOKS like it knows the soundbar is there - but when you click on it, it disappears and you are still left with just sound from the TV speakers). The only cure for this is to unplug the bar from power and replug it back in.

Sometimes the TV sends sound via the TV speakers AND the soundbar at the same time (echo). This can happen if the sound output is set to Optical ... or Soundbar WiFi ... or Soundbar HDMI.

Sometimes the TV remote will say it is changing the volume on the soundbar (via HDMI) ... but nothing happens (I can see on screen on the TV that the remote is raising or lowering the sound volume ... but it is not actually doing a thing).

TV to soundbar via Optical ALWAYS works. So the TV CAN see the soundbar and CAN send sound to it. This is not a preferred pathway for audio though - as it cannot pass lossy Atmos (eg. from AMAZON Prime) via optical.

TV to Soundbar via WiFi ALWAYS works. So the TV CAN see the soundbar and CAN send sound to it. I'm not sure of the shortcomings of sending audio via WiFi though - and I imagine that it is not an optimal solution.

The only thing that is dodgy is the TV to soundbar via HDMI (and keep in mind that I have tried about 5 different HDMI 2 leads - including an HDMI certified Monoprice lead).

My thought are these. This erratic issue must be due to either:
TV firmware issue
Soundbar firmware issue
HDMI Lead issue
Incompatibility with one of my plugged in devices

The only other possible thing I can think of is that it is something to do with the state that the TV was left in when it was shut down last. Eg. if you leave it in TV mode ... maybe it all comes back on fine, whereas if you leave it in DVD mode or Foxtel watching mode, then maybe it doesn't start back up nicely the next time you use it. Further testing required I guess.
post #17 of 59 Old 06-26-2019, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Its crazy to think that these huge manufactures can't get a soundbar w/ Hdmi to work properly. How long has hdmi been a standard ? Over a decade
ballyerhead likes this.

Sony 65inch 900F, Apple TV4k, Xbox one S, sonos 5.1
post #18 of 59 Old 06-26-2019, 09:01 PM

Well..........
Thanks for the detailed reply. I can tell you it’s definitely a software issue as my Soundbar has just become “Your” Soundbar over night. No speaker connection issues but my surrounds and sub are large as life.

I’m doing some sort of remote control shuffle to get it working but I think it’s a step in the right direction!

You never had the N950, but I can tell you the Bass from the sub on the Q90 is much tighter and deeper especially for music that:
A. I’m glad they exchanged models for me
B. I find this a less frustrating glitch as I can see on screen what’s happening rather then running around the lounge room putting my ears to speakers etc.

Well there’s likely going to be more software updates before we get to the end of it, it’s become a kind of annoying hobby

post #19 of 59 Old 06-26-2019, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Thanks for the tips. Yesterday I reset my TV (using the TV factory reset function in one menu AND the smartbox reset function in the support menu), then I checked my Soundbar firmware (had already automatically updated to ......

The only other possible thing I can think of is that it is something to do with the state that the TV was left in when it was shut down last. Eg. if you leave it in TV mode ... maybe it all comes back on fine, whereas if you leave it in DVD mode or Foxtel watching mode, then maybe it doesn't start back up nicely the next time you use it. Further testing required I guess.
Hey, one thing that might worth testing is taking the Optical out of the equation and seeing how the HDMI inputs react.

Reason I say that is I had a lot of issues with the HDMI when having optical connected on N950 I had before upgrading. Things like the bar would randomly send random resolutions via HDMI to my tv which would mean there was no picture. When i upgraded i removed the optical out of the equation and havent had any such issues with the Q90r. That may have been a N950 issue or specific to my setup, but might be worth investigating.

For me I have had no issues with drop outs etc but have noticed that I occasionally lose the handshake and get static when turning on my Xbox One which has Foxtel connected to it, which automatically turns on my bar and tv. Cycling the inputs solves but it is a little annoying but I write that off as a CEC issue given the number of devices involved.
ballyerhead likes this.
post #20 of 59 Old 06-26-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordyn11 View Post
Hey, one thing that might worth testing is taking the Optical out of the equation and seeing how the HDMI inputs react.

Reason I say that is I had a lot of issues with the HDMI when having optical connected on N950 I had before upgrading. Things like the bar would randomly send random resolutions via HDMI to my tv which would mean there was no picture. When i upgraded i removed the optical out of the equation and havent had any such issues with the Q90r. That may have been a N950 issue or specific to my setup, but might be worth investigating.

For me I have had no issues with drop outs etc but have noticed that I occasionally lose the handshake and get static when turning on my Xbox One which has Foxtel connected to it, which automatically turns on my bar and tv. Cycling the inputs solves but it is a little annoying but I write that off as a CEC issue given the number of devices involved.

What’s you opinion of performance between N950 and Q90? I too upgraded in a way as my N950 was faulty (I gave it 4 months) then threw in the towel

post #21 of 59 Old 06-27-2019, 01:11 AM

My review has finally been moderated on Samsung.com and to my surprise they have addressed the rear speaker and subwoofer issue with a seperate firmware upgrade. See pic below or go to samsung.com.au and head to reviews! I haven’t tried it yet as I’ve gone to 10008.0 update and have had a whole one day of successful connections. I’ve inherited some handshake issues similar to scaddaye on here! But my speakers work and this update hopefully ensures they stay working. Love this machine when working - Hotel California from the Hell Freezes Over DVD just made me smile and it was one of the first DTS DVD’s advertised Around early 2000’s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #22 of 59 Old 06-27-2019, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

I called Samsung a little while ago. It turns out that my brand new 8K Samsung TV has a firmware issue that is causing my HDMI connection dramas. The firmware issue gets worse - as it can't be corrected over the internet (seems that the firmware update function on the TV doesn't work either). I am on firmware version 1065 ... but should be on WAY later updated version 1303!!

Anyway - they are sending me a USB with the latest firmware - and tell me that will fix all. I hope so.

I'll report back.

PS - I have done a lot of tests with no optical cable connected ... but it didn't impact anything so in the end I chose to leave it connected as it at least gave me a way for the TV to connect to the soundbar each time when the HDMI crapped out.
ballyerhead likes this.
post #23 of 59 Old 06-27-2019, 01:33 AM

Quote:
I called Samsung a little while ago. It turns out that my brand new 8K Samsung TV has a firmware issue that is causing my HDMI connection dramas. The firmware issue gets worse - as it can't be corrected over the internet (seems that the firmware update function on the TV doesn't work either). I am on firmware version 1065 ... but should be on WAY later updated version 1303!!

Anyway - they are sending me a USB with the latest firmware - and tell me that will fix all. I hope so.

I'll report back.

PS - I have done a lot of tests with no optical cable connected ... but it didn't impact anything so in the end I chose to leave it connected as it at least gave me a way for the TV to connect to the soundbar each time when the HDMI crapped out.

Good to hear mate, I wish You all the best!

post #24 of 59 Old 06-27-2019, 01:39 AM

Quote:
What’s you opinion of performance between N950 and Q90? I too upgraded in a way as my N950 was faulty (I gave it 4 months) then threw in the towel

I think the Sub is def a bit tighter although I am in an apartment so cant really crank and the adaptive mode is a further iteration of the smart mode from the n950. Other than that it isnt as big as a difference as going from the K950 to the N950 which I previously did. I am also eyeing off upgrading my TV (to one with EArc as my current set only has HDMI 1.2 in the arc port rendering it useless for 4K/HDR/ATMOS etc) and unfortunately the writing was on the wall for the support of the N950 as soon as the q90 was announced. There have already been more firmware upgrades for the Q90 than for the life of the N950 which is a bit of dick move from Sammy. I never had any of the disconnect issues with the N950 and havent had any on the Q90 (touch wood) but I did get frustrated with the issue I mentioned previously when I had Optical in the picture. So overall I am really happy with the upgrade and considering I paid only $1200 AUD for the Q90r and flipped the N950 for $950 then the net net was only minor for the future proofing and added support.

PS the firmware linked in your review is 1008 so you would already be on it by the look.
ballyerhead likes this.

Last edited by Jordyn11; 06-27-2019 at 01:47 AM.
post #25 of 59 Old 06-27-2019, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordyn11 View Post
I think the Sub is def a bit tighter although I am in an apartment so cant really crank and the adaptive mode is a further iteration of the smart mode from the n950. Other than that it isnt as big as a difference as going from the K950 to the N950 which I previously did. I am also eyeing off upgrading my TV (to one with EArc as my current set only has HDMI 1.2 in the arc port rendering it useless for 4K/HDR/ATMOS etc) and unfortunately the writing was on the wall for the support of the N950 as soon as the q90 was announced. There have already been more firmware upgrades for the Q90 than for the life of the N950 which is a bit of dick move from Sammy. I never had any of the disconnect issues with the N950 and havent had any on the Q90 (touch wood) but I did get frustrated with the issue I mentioned previously when I had Optical in the picture. So overall I am really happy with the upgrade and considering I paid only $1200 AUD for the Q90r and flipped the N950 for $950 then the net net was only minor for the future proofing and added support.

PS the firmware linked in your review is 1008 so you would already be on it by the look.

Thanks for the reply, you were pretty savvy considering you started with the K950 and saw the writing on the wall! Totally agree on the Dick move by Sammy. I may have cut the firmware update short as I just blindly hit the Smart things button and let it rip! This time I’ve read the update guide that specifically says what to do for the Speaker issue on the Q90. i.e hold the down key on remote control as soon as you see text on display. I did not know to do this last Time. Given the fact this was the first overnight sleep the unit has had I figure better safe than sorry. The unit is updating as we speak.

post #26 of 59 Old 06-28-2019, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'll report back.

They ended up posting the new TV firmware online today so I was able to download it and give it a go. It all loaded up fine - but did NOT resolve the issue of the Soundbar and TV not talking to each other over HDMI. I had high hopes - so this is a real blow. I guess spending circa $10k on the latest best products from Samsung ... products that have virtually the same model numbers (Q90r and Q900r) and were clearly designed to talk to each other - was a dumb move on my part. I probably should have stuck with my old Plasma and my big Yamaha amp and Wharfedale speakers.

Good luck to anyone else who buys the combo I have. I reckon I have wasted around 20 hours troubleshooting this and have made exactly zero progress. Very disappointing Samsung.
post #27 of 59 Old 06-28-2019, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
They ended up posting the new TV firmware online today so I was able to download it and give it a go. It all loaded up fine - but did NOT resolve the issue of the Soundbar and TV not talking to each other over HDMI. I had high hopes - so this is a real blow. I guess spending circa $10k on the latest best products from Samsung ... products that have virtually the same model numbers (Q90r and Q900r) and were clearly designed to talk to each other - was a dumb move on my part. I probably should have stuck with my old Plasma and my big Yamaha amp and Wharfedale speakers.

Good luck to anyone else who buys the combo I have. I reckon I have wasted around 20 hours troubleshooting this and have made exactly zero progress. Very disappointing Samsung.
I called Samsung support this morning. The wanted me to get another sound bar to test with ... then to also test with another TV! I said I only had one sound bar. They are trying to figure out whether it is my sound bar or my TV that is faulty. Anyway - I plugged the soundbar into a 5 year old Samsung plasma TV - and it worked flawlessly - so I guess the issue is my 8K TV :-(

I asked if I could get someone to log onto my TV and diagnose it further - but it turns out that level 2 support doesn't work on a weekend ... so they will contact me Monday or Tuesday to troubleshoot further. I'm pretty convinced that I have a dud one connect box on the TV.

Also - the new firmware for the TV has introduced a new bug - the TV will no longer talk to the soundbar via wifi ... just saying "configuring your speakers" forever ... and never connecting. So I have gone from connecting successfully by HDMI only 50% of the time and connecting successfully via WiFi 100% of the time, to now having HDMI work 50% and WiFi not at all. We are going backwards!!
ballyerhead likes this.
post #28 of 59 Old 06-29-2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
I called Samsung support this morning. The wanted me to get another sound bar to test with ... then to also test with another TV! I said I only had one sound bar. They are trying to figure out whether it is my sound bar or my TV that is faulty. Anyway - I plugged the soundbar into a 5 year old Samsung plasma TV - and it worked flawlessly - so I guess the issue is my 8K TV :-(

I asked if I could get someone to log onto my TV and diagnose it further - but it turns out that level 2 support doesn't work on a weekend ... so they will contact me Monday or Tuesday to troubleshoot further. I'm pretty convinced that I have a dud one connect box on the TV.

Also - the new firmware for the TV has introduced a new bug - the TV will no longer talk to the soundbar via wifi ... just saying "configuring your speakers" forever ... and never connecting. So I have gone from connecting successfully by HDMI only 50% of the time and connecting successfully via WiFi 100% of the time, to now having HDMI work 50% and WiFi not at all. We are going backwards!!
Man, I feel your frustration given the irony that they cut the N950 off at the knees to release the Q90r alongside the new TV range and they even don't appear to play nice together. Based on your postings I did suspect it might be on the TV side as you are the only one posting such issues in the couple of forums I am following (I see you are also posting on AVForums). The bleeding edge can be painful sometimes but once resolved your setup will be wicked I bet.
ballyerhead likes this.

Last edited by Jordyn11; 06-29-2019 at 12:46 AM.
post #29 of 59 Old 06-29-2019, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 5
8K Q900R connected to Q90R

I also have 2019 8k Q900R TV and just bought Q90R soundbar (waiting to be installed), by reading this forum I sent email to Samsung escalation (email the CEO mail contact), summarizing that Q90R advertisement for Dolby Atmos and "Best for QLED" is misleading at its best given that 2019 Q900R QLED TV all built-in apps: Stan, Netflix, YouTube don't seem to output Atmos to Q90R, TV DLNA client doesn't seem to produce Atmos either and to add to insult when Samsung Customer Service told me to buy Panasonic or LG 4k bluray to hear Atmos on the sound bar it needs to be connected with 2 HDMIs (one to Soundbar for sound and one for TV for video) as this TV to soundbar ARC doesn't support Atmos either. Can I please also confirm (based on reading few previous posts) that Q900R to soundbar connection rate via HDMI is 50% and with latest update of TV firmware HDMI is the only option as WiFi link ceased to operate. Hope to test my connectivity in couple of days but if it is the case would think to take Samsung to VCAT
ballyerhead likes this.
post #30 of 59 Old 06-29-2019, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcj View Post
I also have 2019 8k Q900R TV and just bought Q90R soundbar (waiting to be installed), by reading this forum I sent email to Samsung escalation (email the CEO mail contact), summarizing that Q90R advertisement for Dolby Atmos and "Best for QLED" is misleading at its best given that 2019 Q900R QLED TV all built-in apps: Stan, Netflix, YouTube don't seem to output Atmos to Q90R, TV DLNA client doesn't seem to produce Atmos either and to add to insult when Samsung Customer Service told me to buy Panasonic or LG 4k bluray to hear Atmos on the sound bar it needs to be connected with 2 HDMIs (one to Soundbar for sound and one for TV for video) as this TV to soundbar ARC doesn't support Atmos either. Can I please also confirm (based on reading few previous posts) that Q900R to soundbar connection rate via HDMI is 50% and with latest update of TV firmware HDMI is the only option as WiFi link ceased to operate. Hope to test my connectivity in couple of days but if it is the case would think to take Samsung to VCAT
My experiences are these:
1. MY Q900 seems to have an issue with HDMI port 3 ARC. The soundbar works fine with ARC on my older Samsung Plasma - but on my Q900 it does not work reliably (requiring AC power removal and reconnect on soundbar for the TV to see the bar). This may NOT be a general issue with all Q900s ... and just be a faulty HDMI port in my particular one connect box

2. My Q900 came with old firmware and was incapable of downloading new firmware from the internet via the TV. I had to download it on a PC- put it on a USB - then plug the USB into the Q900 to do the update. Your Q900 might not have this bug

3. Since upgrading my Q900 firmware I can no longer connect the Q900 to the soundbar via WiFi. Note that I would ordinarily have no reason to even want to do this - if my HDMI connection between soundbar and TV was working fine - it is just that with HDMI failing regularly it was nice to have an alternative. Now my only alternative is Optical - which means unplugging my digital radio (which normally runs to optical in on the soundbar). This wifi thing might be a unique issue for me - perhaps my soundbar firmware update did not complete properly (some are saying that there is a separate second step to update firmware onto sub woofer and rears - via USB - but all I did was the wifi upgrade using smart things app) ... or it might be related to my seemingly faulty one connect box ... or it might be a bug in the new Q900 firmware. There are lots of potential causes. Note that I also recently installed a Google Mesh wifi range extending system - and this required all connected devices to be reconnected on to the mesh (so that all could see each other) ... this could also have introduced a conflict (even though all appear to be on the same wifi connection now)

4. The Q900R DOES output Atmos to the Q90R soundbar ... as long as you can get your HDMI ARC connection working! In my case - when the ARC port 3 HDMI connection is working, I can hear lossy Atmos from Amazon Prime Jack Ryan (note that I do need to go into TV settings everytime though - and select ATMOS as the sound output type for this to work).

5. My Panasonic 4K Blu-ray player outputs Atmos perfectly well via just one HDMI out from the player to one HDMI in on the Q90R soundbar. You do NOT require two leads and do NOT need to connect anything up to the one connect box. The 4K player does NOT require a direct connection to the TV at all (this is handled via the ARC connection between soundbar and TV). To be clear - the one connect (TV) can pass LOSSY Atmos from the TV to the sound bar (eg. if you are watching Amazon Prime - the only built in app with Atmos that I have found) ... but it can NOT pass pure Atmos from the one connect (TV) to the sound bar (eg. as would be needed if you plugged the 4K player into the one connect box). However - the soundbar CAN pass video through to the one connect box via ARC ... so you can happily plug your 4K bluray player directly into the soundbar and you will hear Atmos from the soundbar and see beautiful vision from the TV.

I hope this helps.

Now if you could please help me (seeing as how you are the only person I know with an identical setup to me) -

Let me know if you suffer from any of the following:
a. Inability to update firmware on the Q900 via internet connection
b. Inability to connect TV sound output to Soundbar via wifi
c. Regular inability to output TV sound to soundbar via HDMI (when connected via HDMI 2.0 lead between soundbar ARC out and TV One Connect box HDMI 3 ARC input

Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Q900 , q90r , Samsung , soundbar