Klipsch 54a - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-24-2019, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Klipsch 54a

So I’m really considering this soundbar for my reconfigured game/entertainment/media room. Based on the specs and hype it sounds promising. Will be paired with a UST projector (still deciding which) and 120-150 inch screen. I’m eaning towards 120 inch since that the largest lenticular ALR screen size and my room is not completely dark.

Seems like it’ll be a nice piece of equipment with plenty of wattage/sound stage for what I need with nice features like Atmos, surrounds (optional), ability to add a sub (I have an SVS1000 I plan to use), etc.

I’m hoping it also has eARC and native Airplay 2 support.

What are everyone else’s thoughts on this model relative to other higher end offerings on the market?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-25-2019, 04:19 AM

Liked: 17
We don’t have enough info to form an opinion. I wish the cabinet and driver’s were beefier, how effective can the overhead effects be with such small drivers? I have head very convincing overhead effects with Klipsch’ full size bouncing speakers.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-17-2019, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just sold all my 5.1 equipment (cerwin-vega) and I think the 54A will be a good replacement. At least it will be for my wife. lol.
5.1 with a 10-inch subwoofer. Should be good enough. Really like that it has chromecast and ability to play spotify on it from the phone. Anyone knows how many HDMI it has? I need one for PS4, nvidia shield and cable box. And one for my good old NES.

Cerwin-Vega, Onkyo & NAD 5.1 home cinema:
http://avforum.no/myhometheater/Mikaelft

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-25-2019, 05:57 AM

Disappointed that we aren’t further along with this. Haven’t heard jack squat since CES!
post #5 of 10 Old 10-27-2019, 04:17 PM

Waiting and waiting...
post #6 of 10 Old 10-27-2019, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by B|G1 View Post
Waiting and waiting...
Can’t offer input on the 54a, can only offer that after my and many others disastrous experience with a sophisticated 7.2 soundbar I dumped it. Then started looking around at all the other soundbar threads here. It seems they all have odd problems and are unable to reliably perform the tasks that AVRs do so simply. I’m convinced theres a shortage of good programmers in the sound bar industry. When it worked it sounded great, but I encourage you to consider using a real 7.1 system with a screen as big as yours. Mine had two wireless woofers driving two rear speakers but the L & R Surrounds still came from the bar along with the L-C-R. After viewing the CES video the 54a doesn’t seem to mention if it has real remote speakers, so even if they get the coding right being a soundbar most sounds are still going to come from the front. With such a wide variety of Klipsch speakers and pricing I would rather have an AVR (which you know will work) and even the smallest real speakers giving me immersive sound. Just trying to get you to think outside the box! Best of luck and enjoy that picture!

Last edited by DavAbq; 10-27-2019 at 06:42 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-28-2019, 02:45 AM

What seems to be the problem with 7.1 and 7.2 soundbars? 🤔

Cerwin-Vega, Onkyo & NAD 5.1 home cinema:
http://avforum.no/myhometheater/Mikaelft

post #8 of 10 Old 10-28-2019, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by B|G1 View Post
What seems to be the problem with 7.1 and 7.2 soundbars? 🤔
The one I have/had and the biggest problems I’ve noticed just reading other threads is connectivity. Problems with Xbox, Shield etc. mine had the unfortunate horrible tendency to go off and generate bizarre noises. It would blurt out, at maximum volume, noise. It traumatized both dogs to the point they still run when I pick up a remote. Also wife was very unhappy. I think we (forum users) tracked down the cause as an inability to handle incorrect data in the streams. For example, when Directv glitched and presented digital garbage for a second. Also we had problems changing channels, pause & start etc. just seemed to join the digital stream at the wrong moment and bang! Noise! Had to turn off to reset. Now realize, that is my sound bar brand. Others are certainly not as serious however browse through the threads and every one seems to have problems. I hate to paint a bad and perhaps incorrect picture of an entire industry, but thats my take from these forums. And do note it doesn’t seem to be hardware problems, it seems to be the programming which needs more error correction/detection, double checks etc. I haven’t seen anything good or bad on the Klipsch sound bars. I hope they are great, but that brings me back full circle to your screen size. I loved the (fake) immersion from the sound bar, and I’m looking forward to real 7.1 immersion from a real system. Right now I’m waiting on delivery of two Klipsch towers (I want a good stereo music system) and center channel. The pricing is not bad compared to a top quality sound bar either. Once this is up and running I will add the four surrounds, I think the RP-140D and hopefully catch them on sale black Friday or at the World Wide Stereo anniversary sale Nov 3 for three days, and Frys has weekly sales. I feel they are reasonably priced even without a sale but hey, if I can save a buck...
post #9 of 10 Old 10-30-2019, 04:34 AM

I agree that there seem to be many problems with true surround sound bars that don’t exist for HT separates.

I would think that using only an eARC interface and using the TV exclusively for source connectivity and switching would prove more reliable.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-28-2019, 12:57 PM

No 54A for black friday :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page