Samsung HW-Q90N 7.1.4 Soundbar Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #31 of 40 Old 07-25-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydeweyz View Post
Can the HDMI ports pass thru Dolby Vision?
They do on the N950 the Q is an upgrade on that
cydeweyz likes this.

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba X1 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 07-27-2019, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Without Samsung TVs supporting eARC, I am thinking about connecting my XBox One X to this soundbar and then out to the TV. If I do this, will I lose FreeSync? Is there anyway I can get around that?
post #33 of 40 Old 07-29-2019, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Other than earc. Has anyone been able to compare the overall sq between the q90 and the N950. If so is there a considerable difference.

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba X1 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 Old 07-30-2019, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I just purchased the HW-NW700 and while I love that I can add the 10" sub to the mix, if I'm honest, a 10" sub is probably overkill for any soundbar. I can't really hate on Samsung for downsizing to 8".. it probably integrates much better with the tiny drivers present in soundbars.

Also, Atmos fits "right as home" on a soundbar, if you ask me. Mini speakers (because soundbar).. so mini atmos.. why not? Atmos speakers are already the least demanding, w.r.t. cone size, in a home audio system. Will it be as enveloping as a true home surround system with in-ceiling speakers? Of course not. But will it work? Why not? I bet it works about as well as the up-firing Atmos modules available today that everyone seems to be jumping on. With up-firing Atmos speakers, the install is just as important as the drivers, if not more.
cyberized39 likes this.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #35 of 40 Old 07-30-2019, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by peekytoe View Post
I'm surprised this doesn't include eARC. Or does that not really matter? Can we hear the difference with uncompressed 5.1/7.1/Atmos/higher bandwidth audio on a soundbar anyways....?
The HDMI output supports eARC
post #36 of 40 Old 07-30-2019, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-evil-x View Post
I still don't believe anyone that says a sounder Atmos setup is enveloping. Its still a soundbar. Its still a gimmick. Its not real Atmos by a long shot. Its a glorified gimmick. Better than tv speakers but id laugh at anyone that spend 1300$ on this.
As someone who waited in line and sat in on the AMBEO demo at CES last Winter, I can tell you I never imagined soundbars (and quite literally just a soundbar - no subwoofer, no satellites) could so realistically recreate a 360 degree sound stage.

It really is unbelievable what they accomplished. And yes, the room for the demo was configured to specification. Sound padding, dimensions, ideal drywall thickness and who knows...perhaps even paint type. But the end result was amazing and if you have a couple thousand to drop on the soundbar you most definitely have a couple hundred to drop on sound deadening material.
post #37 of 40 Old 07-30-2019, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1684 Post(s)
Liked: 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
Other than earc. Has anyone been able to compare the overall sq between the q90 and the N950. If so is there a considerable difference.
I only had the Q90 for a day before I returned it and got the N950. I didn't notice a significant audio difference and I did update the Q90 firmware via USB. The Adaptive mode sounds about like the Smart Mode. I'm guessing the big differences are the Game mode and enhanced ARC.
post #38 of 40 Old 07-30-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1684 Post(s)
Liked: 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
I just purchased the HW-NW700 and while I love that I can add the 10" sub to the mix, if I'm honest, a 10" sub is probably overkill for any soundbar. I can't really hate on Samsung for downsizing to 8".. it probably integrates much better with the tiny drivers present in soundbars.

Also, Atmos fits "right as home" on a soundbar, if you ask me. Mini speakers (because soundbar).. so mini atmos.. why not? Atmos speakers are already the least demanding, w.r.t. cone size, in a home audio system. Will it be as enveloping as a true home surround system with in-ceiling speakers? Of course not. But will it work? Why not? I bet it works about as well as the up-firing Atmos modules available today that everyone seems to be jumping on. With up-firing Atmos speakers, the install is just as important as the drivers, if not more.
With 512 watts the Samsung Atmos Sound bars with rear speakers can get very loud while being efficient (K, N & Q) . Volume can go to 100 but I've never gone over 20 without feeling blasted. I've had AVRs for decades using Cervin Vegas as my mains and a 14 inch 250 watt JBL Sub with Infinity rears so I know and appreciate solid volume. The system is well balanced.
william06 likes this.
post #39 of 40 Old 07-30-2019, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
I only had the Q90 for a day before I returned it and got the N950. I didn't notice a significant audio difference and I did update the Q90 firmware via USB. The Adaptive mode sounds about like the Smart Mode. I'm guessing the big differences are the Game mode and enhanced ARC.
Thanks reasuures me to keep my N950 tired of giving Samsung my dollars 😀

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba X1 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #40 of 40 Old 07-31-2019, 09:04 AM
jrh

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the Sony HT-Z9F (which has Atmos), which also has individually powered and wireless subwoofer and surrounds. How does this soundbar compare with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
dolby atmos , hw-q90r , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page