Bose Soundbar 700 surround sound issue - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-29-2019, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bose Soundbar 700 surround sound issue

I posted a similar question on Bose's site, but I'm hoping someone here might have actually encountered this issue, and I'm suspect of their actual technical expertise.

Have the soundbar connected to an LG C7 via HDMI ARC, and just bought the rear surround speakers a week ago. Doing some surround testing using either Youtube videos or a calibration DVD, I find that the rears seem to mirror the "fronts." In other words, when the test signal is sent to the right "front" speaker, the sound comes out of that speaker as well as the right surround speaker. Likewise when the signal is sent to the right rear speaker, I hear it from that speaker and the front. It sounds like it's really only a 3 channel system. When running the Bose AdaptIQ app, the signal sent to each speaker is in fact discrete, there is none of this overlap.

On the TV sound out, the only option I can toggle is to change the signal out between PCM and "Auto"(whatever that is). Changing this has no impact on the issue.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-05-2019, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaye99 View Post
I posted a similar question on Bose's site, but I'm hoping someone here might have actually encountered this issue, and I'm suspect of their actual technical expertise.

Have the soundbar connected to an LG C7 via HDMI ARC, and just bought the rear surround speakers a week ago. Doing some surround testing using either Youtube videos or a calibration DVD, I find that the rears seem to mirror the "fronts." In other words, when the test signal is sent to the right "front" speaker, the sound comes out of that speaker as well as the right surround speaker. Likewise when the signal is sent to the right rear speaker, I hear it from that speaker and the front. It sounds like it's really only a 3 channel system. When running the Bose AdaptIQ app, the signal sent to each speaker is in fact discrete, there is none of this overlap.

On the TV sound out, the only option I can toggle is to change the signal out between PCM and "Auto"(whatever that is). Changing this has no impact on the issue.

Any thoughts?
I have the Soundtouch 300, Acoustimass 300, and the Virtually Invisible 300 Surround speakers. The ST300 and VI surround speakers are pretty much the same as what you have, unless you bought the newest (more expensive) surround speakers which supposedly have a 360 degree soundfield. Adding the surround speakers made my system perfect, true 5.1 sound from my Sony 65X930D, my Cox cable box, Sony 4k blu-ray, and Apple TV4k. All are hooked up directly into the TV by HDMI cable, and then HDMI out from the TV into the ST300.

I'm pretty sure my Sony outputs sound in the Auto mode also. I've listened to Youtube videos too, and the sound separation is definitely there, whether it's music or videos. Some media are better than others, some just simulate surround or only 2 channel. If you have Netflix, try watching a 4k HDR or Dolby Vision movie and see if you get that surround sound going. If not, you might want to unplug the soundbar for a couple minutes, let it reset, then plug back in and see if that helps.

Last edited by ayanomich; 08-05-2019 at 03:53 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-07-2019, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Appreciate the reply. It most definitely is outputting proper 5.1 sound after watching a few movies, yet I still amazingly can't get the 5.1 test tones from my calibration disc to work properly. At this point, I've given up on that, since my ears tell me it's working properly when watching actual programming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-09-2019, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I spent days trying to figure out why my new Vizio TV would only pass stereo pcm through ARC no matter what I sent it. Turns out I had that input set to "ARC only", but CEC was disabled. Once I enabled CEC and ARC, it started passing the bitstream 5.1. Probably just a quirk with Vizios, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Vizio P75-F1 | Denon AVR-S740H | Dayton B652-AIR/C452-AIR L/C/R | Dayton B452 Surrounds | Dayton Sub-1200 | HTPC (Win10, Radeon RX 5700, Kodi, MPC/MadVR) | PS4 | XBone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page