Sonos Playbar/Sub/Rears Vs. Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2.4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By dudley07726
  • 1 Post By dudley07726

post #1 of 8 Old 11-03-2019, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sonos Playbar/Sub/Rears Vs. Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2.4

Has anyone got any real world experience comparing these two soundbars systems? There are plenty of reviews of each but I haven’t found any hard comparisons. I’m leaning toward the Sonos system for simplicity, but the double woofer option on the Nakamichi is tantalizing. Sifting through YouTube vids and purchase reviews, I get the notion that just the actual soundbars compared would mean a Sonos win.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-06-2019, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyintheAir View Post
Has anyone got any real world experience comparing these two soundbars systems? There are plenty of reviews of each but I haven’t found any hard comparisons. I’m leaning toward the Sonos system for simplicity, but the double woofer option on the Nakamichi is tantalizing. Sifting through YouTube vids and purchase reviews, I get the notion that just the actual soundbars compared would mean a Sonos win.
Hmm...I would be more inclined to go with the Nakamichi vs the Sonos.

Nakamichi can decode Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and pretty much anything you need. I believe Sonos just basically does DD 5.1 if I'm not mistaken. Also, I believe the Sonos bar doesn't have HDMI and only hooks up with optical. The Sonos Beam has an HDMI. I'd rather have a system that is full proof for a while than one that doesn't have a lot of options to it. Plus you'll save a few bucks going with the Nakamichi. This is just my opinion, however.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-06-2019, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyintheAir View Post
I don’t believe Sonos has near the number of bug reports as you’ll find in the Nakamichi thread about the Naka bugs. Plus it’s a 9.2, not a 9.2.4. Having gone from a Nakamichi 7.2 to a discreet system, believe me the two types of surround generation (fake phased vs real discreet speakers) are miles apart.

Last edited by DavAbq; 11-06-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-07-2019, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Ive had the Sonos Playbar w/ Subwoofer since February 2016. Not one problem with either. Sound isn’t bad either. Not the best and certainly not the worst. An amazing simple system that works brilliantly.
Vikram Iyengar likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-29-2019, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
Ive had the Sonos Playbar w/ Subwoofer since February 2016. Not one problem with either. Sound isn’t bad either. Not the best and certainly not the worst. An amazing simple system that works brilliantly.
I just bought it today and is very clear and detailed. Bass is lacking, for which I need to ass the SUB I guess. Appears to be very simple and clear. I don't klnow hwo it'll do for music. If it does well, I'll get rid of my AVR and 5.1 system.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-01-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Iyengar View Post
I just bought it today and is very clear and detailed. Bass is lacking, for which I need to ass the SUB I guess. Appears to be very simple and clear. I don't klnow hwo it'll do for music. If it does well, I'll get rid of my AVR and 5.1 system.
If you're going to get the sub do it asap as they are still 20% off.
I waited until it went on sale to add the sub to my pair of Sonos Ones and it makes a huge difference.
The sub is not really a subwoofer in the normal sense as it plays higher frequencies and is more of bass\sub component.

post #7 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Iyengar View Post
I just bought it today and is very clear and detailed. Bass is lacking, for which I need to ass the SUB I guess. Appears to be very simple and clear. I don't know how it'll do for music. If it does well, I'll get rid of my AVR and 5.1 system.
I wouldn't get rid of a true 5.1 system for that.
I use the Playbar and Sub for my set in the Master BR. Want to add a pair of Play 1's which Costco has on sale for the last day today at $219. Wife giving me hassle about placing something else on the night stands. For the Family Room, I use a Beam, Sub, and a pair of Play 1's in the rear just for the wife to watch TV since doesn't know how to turn on the main system in that room. I have separates and would rather not have her touch that. Since the Sonos system is always on, she doesn't have to do anything except turn the TV on and is good to go.
DavAbq likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Very good point on the Beam, sub and rears. I purchased the Playbar and Sub last week and since it is not HDMI Arc it is a little finicky to control everything. Want something very simple as I have enough stuff for my wife to figure out.

Purchased the Beam and going to try that and also the Sennheiser Ambeo to test that too.

Not sure what Sonos puts the better tech on their cheapest option - so backwards. Would never see top tech companies do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page