Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-03-2019, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
"Multiplex Broadcast Sound"?

Hello,

I recently got a soundbar and I'm somewhat confused about one of the settings. I'm a novice when it comes to anything A/V related as I'm sure you'll all be able to tell. Usually I'm able to figure things out with enough googling but I need help regarding "Multiplex Broadcast Sound".

In the settings for my soundbar under "Dual Mono" it states:

"You can enjoy multiplex broadcast sound when the system receives a Dolby Digital multiplex broadcast signal.
• “M/S”: Mixed sound of both the main and sub languages
will be output.
• “MAIN”: Sound of the main language will be output.
• “SUB”: Sound of the sub language will be output."

I found a post on Reddit in which someone said that some TV broadcasts offer a secondary language such as Spanish, and that the settings determine which language is output (Main being say English for example and the Sub language being Spanish). This seems bizarre to me as I can't imagine why anyone would want to hear two languages being output at the same time (by using M/S).

I was just going to select Main but then I found this description of Sound Multiplex in Broadcasting from Wikipedia:

"In broadcasting, sound multiplex is a method to deliver alternative audio feeds on television and radio channels. This way, a television or radio channel can carry surround sound (like stereo or 5.1 surround sound), or alternative audio programming where an audio track in different language, alternative sports commentary, or audio description for people with visual impairment can be heard."

I don't want to be losing any surround sound capabilities (virtual or otherwise) by selecting Main. That's probably not the case but I wanted to make sure by asking on AVSForum since people here seem to be very helpful and knowledgeable - so this is my first post!

Thanks in advance for any helpful explanations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-20-2020, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry to bump this old thread but it seems your post went unanswered and I'm looking for the exact same thing. Did you find any solutions, OP? Any help would be appreciated.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-20-2020, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmode View Post
Sorry to bump this old thread but it seems your post went unanswered and I'm looking for the exact same thing. Did you find any solutions, OP? Any help would be appreciated.
No, unfortunately I haven't. I posted here because allegedly all questions get inevitably answered but that appears to not be the case.

I decided that I would try asking the same question on other audio or A/V forums but I just haven't gotten around to it yet as I'm pretty busy atm. In the meantime I just left my soundbar set to M/S and figured that if I started hearing Spanish I'd switch to Main only. I did find a post where someone said that if the broadcast does not offer multiplex sound and you select M/S it will degrade the audio quality by splitting the Main sound, but another disagreed. So many different answers on this topic.

When I get around to asking on another forum(s) and if I figure it out I'll come back to this thread and let you know what I found. Of course if you figure it out first I'd appreciate it if you let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page