Samsung HW-Q70R questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-13-2019, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Question Samsung HW-Q70R questions

I'm looking for a low profile soundbar for my 65C8 because the stand is pretty low and I don't want it to block the IR sensor/bottom of the screen. It pretty much has to be less than 2.4 inches in height. Currently, I am leaning towards the Samsung HW-Q70R. Can current Q70R owners or better yet, owners with this exact TV + soundbar combo shed some light on your thoughts on this soundbar?

The RTings review claims that surround sound channels won't be downmixed, but rather omitted completely. A user in the discussion section claims this is false or at least no longer the case with recent firmware updates, but RTings responded saying they tested with the same firmware to no avail.

An AVForums review back in May claims Atmos pass back via ARC doesn't work on the C8 as well which has me worried. Can someone here corroborate any of these claims? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-21-2019, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Just listened to it at local Best Buy last night. It could be that specific unit being blown out already or defective but the sound is really bad.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-21-2020, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobohobo2kx View Post
I'm looking for a low profile soundbar for my 65C8 because the stand is pretty low and I don't want it to block the IR sensor/bottom of the screen. It pretty much has to be less than 2.4 inches in height. Currently, I am leaning towards the Samsung HW-Q70R. Can current Q70R owners or better yet, owners with this exact TV + soundbar combo shed some light on your thoughts on this soundbar?

The RTings review claims that surround sound channels won't be downmixed, but rather omitted completely. A user in the discussion section claims this is false or at least no longer the case with recent firmware updates, but RTings responded saying they tested with the same firmware to no avail.

An AVForums review back in May claims Atmos pass back via ARC doesn't work on the C8 as well which has me worried. Can someone here corroborate any of these claims? Thanks!
Yes, it is fixed as I can clearly hear the difference when adjusting rear channels from min to max in how it's muxed into the front, end of story. I am one of the ones who has posted that I have confirmed this. As far as height, it is very low and I actually use the added on feet to bring it up an inch to help with HDMI cable clearance curving out from the middle there. Also, remember, no matter what, it has an HDMI In so you will get perfect sound from at least one external device... although I don't have that TV model, I can also add, where I couldn't get sound at all even in main Roku menu with DD+/Atmos enabled, including Auto, and it's been determined Roku has compatibility issues. I had to set the sound as regular DD max so no Atmos or DTS:X, to get sound at all with Roku TV and this soundbar in even the using ARC passthrough (device into TV HDMI In)... I just upgraded to a Sony 75 X900F and DD+/Atmos works great using TV ARC passthrough... but only did it once as a test as I use a Shield TV through the soundbar In now, after Roku was broken on the previous TV... sigh...

Last edited by danbfree; 03-21-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
q70r , Samsung , sounbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page