Good bass from a subwoofer-less soundbar? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-26-2019, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Good bass from a subwoofer-less soundbar?

Im in the market for a soundbar, but because of a dog that chews everything on the floor, as well as the wife wanting less clutter, I dont really want one that has a subwoofer.

Is it possible to get good bass for music and movies without a subwoofer, and decent surround sound effect from a single sound bar for under $200?

If not, best single soundbar for under $200 or less?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-28-2019, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Up your price to $500 to $800 and you can get a soundbar between 40-60Hz. There are refurbished or discontinued soundbars like Martin Mogan Vision X, Denon HEOS Bar, Focal Dimension, Paradigm, Canton but only the Denon on this list is going to give you HDMI with 4K HDR/DV (firmware). The Samsung HW-850 supposedly has deeper base but I’d personally stick with the premium brands on refurb/clearance if optical DD/DTS is acceptable vs TrueHD, DD+, etc.

Some sound bases have a larger sub to accommodate a larger woofer for LFE (Q Acoustics, ZVOX, etc.) and many are around $250-$300.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-28-2019, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker3in4 View Post
Im in the market for a soundbar, but because of a dog that chews everything on the floor, as well as the wife wanting less clutter, I dont really want one that has a subwoofer.

Is it possible to get good bass for music and movies without a subwoofer, and decent surround sound effect from a single sound bar for under $200?

If not, best single soundbar for under $200 or less?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-...?skuId=6358598

I have this yamaha bar in my bedroom with supposed subs in the bar... I really like it for it's form factor and not having a separate sub on the floor. However, it's definitely not as powerful as my klipsch soundbar system in my living room with a separate powered sub. The drivers just aren't big enough to push enough air to give a visceral feel. But... it sounds good enough for my bedroom and has a high WAF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-02-2019, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thanks guys, after going to the store and actually listening to soundbars with subs and those without, I ended up buying the Samsung R650 for just over $200. I will find out on Christmas day how it sounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page