Samsung HW-Q80R vs HW-N850 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-30-2019, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Samsung HW-Q80R vs HW-N850

Yesterday I ordered the Q80R soundbar from Amazon, but it won't ship for a couple of days. I've just now found the N850 elsewhere for $250 less. I can't seem to find a direct comparison that highlights any features/specs that are superior in the newer Q80R but from what I've been able to see myself (albeit coming from a not so knowledgeable place on these things) they same for all intents and purposes, identical.

Is there anything that makes the Q80R worth an extra $250 over the N850 that I'm missing? Or would I be better off cancelling and going with the cheaper model? The only thing I'm thinking, looking at it from a smartphone perspective, is that the newer model would be supported longer with upgrades, but is that something to be concerned with regarding soundbars? Sorry for the newbie question, but any and all opinions are greatly appreciated. I don't mind paying the extra $250 if it's worth it, but obviously would rather save it if it's not. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-30-2019, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 92
N series has a Smart mode that adjusts sounds based on content.

Q series has Game mode and Adaptive mode. Game is optimized for gaming. Adaptive looks like mainly to boost dialogue at low volumes.

Q series is optimized to work with Q series tv controls. Also supposed to be able to handle eARC later.

I have an N950, and just leave it on Surround mode all the time. That way Atmos and DTS:X play as intended, and everything else gets upmixed to 7.1.4. Games are fine on my N series.

Nvidia Shield - Zidoo X9S - HTPC/MPC-HC
Oppo 203 - Samsung HW-N950 - 7.2.4
LG 86UH9500
post #3 of 4 Old 11-30-2019, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks very much, that's quite helpful. I'm not much of a gamer, though I do have a PS4 and Xbox One S, it's just not a priority for me. I watch mostly streaming from apps on my TV and watch the occasional BD movie. I have a Samsung Q70 TV so maybe that optimization you mentioned, plus the eventual upgrade to eARC, means I should probably stick with the Q80 soundbar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-30-2019, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salinger View Post
I have a Samsung Q70 TV so maybe that optimization you mentioned, plus the eventual upgrade to eARC, means I should probably stick with the Q80 soundbar.
Sounds like it. Especially if the tv apps will be doing Atmos over eARC/ARC.

Nvidia Shield - Zidoo X9S - HTPC/MPC-HC
Oppo 203 - Samsung HW-N950 - 7.2.4
LG 86UH9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page