Soundbars and hdmi switchers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-03-2019, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1
JBL Bar 3.1 upgrade to JBL Bar 5.1 Surround

I connect my DIRECTV into one HDMI port and then I connect the other HDMI port into my Apple TV. If I upgrade to the 5.1 set up it only has one HDMI port, what would be a logical work around?

The 3.1 has three HDMI ports where as the 5.1 only has one.I would really like to upgrade especially because of the surround sound but I also don’t want to not be able to use my Apple TV at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-03-2019, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budala007 View Post
I connect my DIRECTV into one HDMI port and then I connect the other HDMI port into my Apple TV. If I upgrade to the 5.1 set up it only has one HDMI port, what would be a logical work around?

The 3.1 has three HDMI ports where as the 5.1 only has one.I would really like to upgrade especially because of the surround sound but I also don’t want to not be able to use my Apple TV at the same time.

https://www.jbl.com/bar-series/JBL+Bar+5.1.html

Reading the specs on above page says the 5.1 does have 3 HDMI inputs.

Music, more music.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-03-2019, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Wrong one. Look up JBL Bar 5.1 Surround

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-05-2019, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Soundbars and hdmi switchers

I have a BenQ HT2050A projector, DirecTv box along with an Apple TV box. I plan on getting the JBL Bar 5.1 Surround soundbar that only has 1 hdmi input and an hdmi arc.

I was thinking of going with a hdmi switcher like this one. HDMI Switch 4K HDMI Splitter-Techole Aluminum Bi-Directional HDMI Switcher 2 Input 1 Output, HDMI Switch Splitter 2 x 1/1 x 2.

Would I ever run into any issues while using an hdmi switcher over time? As far as lag time goes? Or would it be better to use a soundbar that has multiple hdmi inputs?

post #5 of 11 Old 12-05-2019, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have a 5-input, 1-output switcher connected to my soundbar for various game consoles. While I can't speak for your specific soundbar/switcher, mine has worked pretty much flawlessly for me so far. The only issues I've experienced are temporary communication issues between the TV and soundbar where if I switch the source back and forth on the switcher, the soundbar doesn't always output the signal immediately. But if you're only using two devices and not switching between them too frequently, that should work quite well. No lag or anything.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-05-2019, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowling16 View Post
I have a 5-input, 1-output switcher connected to my soundbar for various game consoles. While I can't speak for your specific soundbar/switcher, mine has worked pretty much flawlessly for me so far. The only issues I've experienced are temporary communication issues between the TV and soundbar where if I switch the source back and forth on the switcher, the soundbar doesn't always output the signal immediately. But if you're only using two devices and not switching between them too frequently, that should work quite well. No lag or anything.

My question is how I plug everything in correctly? Since my soundbar has hdmi ARC, do I use that or do I have to get an hdmi switcher that has an hdmi ARC since I’m also using the linked hdmi extender?

Here’s what I have now:

-OREI 164-Feet HDMI Extender Over Single CAT5/CAT6 upto 1080p, Full HD, Loop Out Option, with IR (EX-165C

-HDMI Switch 4K HDMI Splitter-Techole Aluminum Bi-Directional HDMI Switcher 2 Input 1 Output, HDMI Switch Splitter 2 x 1/1 x 2. No External Power Required, Supports 4K 3D HD 1080P for Xbox PS4 Roku HDTV

-JBL Bar 5.1 Surround, 1 hdmi input, 1 hdmi ARC
-DirecTV
-Apple TV

post #7 of 11 Old 12-05-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
My question is how I plug everything in correctly? Since my soundbar has hdmi ARC, do I use that or do I have to get an hdmi switcher that has an hdmi ARC since I’m also using the linked hdmi extender?

Here’s what I have now:

-OREI 164-Feet HDMI Extender Over Single CAT5/CAT6 upto 1080p, Full HD, Loop Out Option, with IR (EX-165C

-HDMI Switch 4K HDMI Splitter-Techole Aluminum Bi-Directional HDMI Switcher 2 Input 1 Output, HDMI Switch Splitter 2 x 1/1 x 2. No External Power Required, Supports 4K 3D HD 1080P for Xbox PS4 Roku HDTV

-JBL Bar 5.1 Surround, 1 hdmi input, 1 hdmi ARC
-DirecTV
-Apple TV

Ideally, you want to connect all external devices to the soundbar, and then connect your soundbar to your TV using the HDMI ARC connection. So I think with the extender, you need to connect your DirecTV into one of the two HDMI ports on the HDMI Switch, and you need to connect the Apple TV into the other HDMI port on the HDMI Switch. Then you output the HDMI Switch into the HDMI Extender. From there, the HDMI extender would get output into the soundbar. The soundbar would then connect to the TV with the HDMI ARC port.

I've never used an extender before but I think that's how the chain would work!
post #8 of 11 Old 12-05-2019, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ideally, you want to connect all external devices to the soundbar, and then connect your soundbar to your TV using the HDMI ARC connection. So I think with the extender, you need to connect your DirecTV into one of the two HDMI ports on the HDMI Switch, and you need to connect the Apple TV into the other HDMI port on the HDMI Switch. Then you output the HDMI Switch into the HDMI Extender. From there, the HDMI extender would get output into the soundbar. The soundbar would then connect to the TV with the HDMI ARC port.

Keep in mind I have a BenQ HT2050A projector.

post #9 of 11 Old 12-05-2019, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What if I were to plug the Apple TV box directly into the projector?

post #10 of 11 Old 12-05-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
What if I were to plug the Apple TV box directly into the projector?

Sorry, I missed the projector part. If you plug the Apple TV box into the projector, you'd need to output the audio in some form. How do you currently get audio out of your setup? I think it might be useful to use optical cables to get the audio to the soundbar and HDMI to get the video to the projector, but this problem might be beyond my limited expertise.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-06-2019, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry, I missed the projector part. If you plug the Apple TV box into the projector, you'd need to output the audio in some form. How do you currently get audio out of your setup? I think it might be useful to use optical cables to get the audio to the soundbar and HDMI to get the video to the projector, but this problem might be beyond my limited expertise.

I like that idea, but how? The HT2050A doesn’t have Toslink (Optical).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page