LG 2020 Soundbars - SN11RG, SN10YG, SN9YG, and SN8YG - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #31 of 167 Old 01-15-2020, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Smith View Post
An LG representative confirmed that although 4k pass through is supported, the SN11RG has only HDMI 2.0. Wouldn't this imply that 4k passthrough is limited to 4k60 or 4k120 at 4:2:0?

"Will this have full bandwidth HDMI 2.1 ports to allow for 4K120 with VRR and dynamic HDR pass through?

Ivanf · 21 hours ago
The specifications on our product page for the LG 7.1.4 ch High Res Audio Sound Bar with Dolby Atmos®️ and Surround Speakers, Model # SN11RG show that it supports 4K PassThrough and that it will have an HDMI 2.0 input that is HDCP 2.2 compliant and an HDMI 2.0 output that is also HDCP 2.2 compliant...^IFV"

If you just connect your external device directly to the TV, can you transmit the audio only to the soundbar?

LG's (as well as every other manufacturer) customer service reps are notorious for not knowing anything about new, upcoming products - other than what is listed on the product page - which is often just a cut and paste of the previous year's product page with very few corrections at this early stage.

Saying that... while the product page does show an HDMI 2.1 image with the soundbar - it is curious that there is no picture of the back connections anywhere...
Was going to say the same. You’re asking a random person in a call center somewhere what the specs are for a device. They don’t know what they’re talking about, they’re reading off a computer screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 167 Old 01-16-2020, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dhereicome View Post
Was going to say the same. You’re asking a random person in a call center somewhere what the specs are for a device. They don’t know what they’re talking about, they’re reading off a computer screen.
Yeah, I agree, but I'm not hopeful at this point. The HDMI 2.1 logo is likely just referring to eARC compatibility. Looks like only Vizio Elevate/M-Series soundbars will have full HDMI 2.1 ports.
post #33 of 167 Old 01-16-2020, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Was going to say the same. You’️re asking a random person in a call center somewhere what the specs are for a device. They don’️t know what they’️re talking about, they’️re reading off a computer screen.
Yeah, I agree, but I'm not hopeful at this point. The HDMI 2.1 logo is likely just referring to eARC compatibility. Looks like only Vizio Elevate/M-Series soundbars will have full HDMI 2.1 ports.
Are you worried about it because the video specs? The 120Hz?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 167 Old 01-16-2020, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, well, the 120 Hz is for future proofing. Main concern is passthrough of 4k with dynamic HDR and VRR. I don't think HDMI 2.0 can passthrough 4k HDR at any refresh rate.
post #35 of 167 Old 01-16-2020, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, well, the 120 Hz is for future proofing. Main concern is passthrough of 4k with dynamic HDR and VRR. I don't think HDMI 2.0 can passthrough 4k HDR at any refresh rate.
Ah I do not know, I know Dolby vision works through my SJ9 so HDR can work on 2.0
post #36 of 167 Old 01-16-2020, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Have my hopes low with new series, was very much excited when I ordered my sl10yg it was good I thought , but had a chance to get hw q90r which paled my impressions about sl10yg. The new model has ai room calibration added and nothing else is new, such a shame they have that much of wattage power wasted.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
post #37 of 167 Old 01-17-2020, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala_gamer View Post
Have my hopes low with new series, was very much excited when I ordered my sl10yg it was good I thought , but had a chance to get hw q90r which paled my impressions about sl10yg. The new model has ai room calibration added and nothing else is new, such a shame they have that much of wattage power wasted.

My friend has that Samsung one you mentioned, I find that it has great sound quality in almost all circumstances where the LG is comparable to it with certain content but not all, minus the rear Atmos speakers of course. Like high-quality Source like a Blu-ray, they both sound comparable to us. Lower quality audio streams/music are definitely better on the Samsung.
post #38 of 167 Old 01-17-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WkittySkittyLBoF View Post
My friend has that Samsung one you mentioned, I find that it has great sound quality in almost all circumstances where the LG is comparable to it with certain content but not all, minus the rear Atmos speakers of course. Like high-quality Source like a Blu-ray, they both sound comparable to us. Lower quality audio streams/music are definitely better on the Samsung.
yea you are right, adding to that my flac collection sounded fantastic with samsung whereas it was okish with LG. Lg fills all the speakers with same content in surround mode whereas with samsung it just uses the surround for different sound stages rather than just filling,very much impressed. Wishing LG would adopt the same
post #39 of 167 Old 01-17-2020, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The rear surrounds are now included in the price and they have a regular speaker and an upfiring so that’s new too. It’s also jumped from 570W to 770W.
post #40 of 167 Old 01-17-2020, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Lg fills all the speakers with same content in surround mode whereas with samsung it just uses the surround for different sound stages rather than just filling,very much impressed. Wishing LG would adopt the same
This is perhaps the most important question that needs to be asked/ addressed so far. I am an SL10YG owner, and was shocked to learn after the fact that it only uses the rear spk8 set when sending Atmos 7.1
So any 5.1 content, which is 90% of what I watch is not output correctly to the rear speakers. If they have not fixed this blunder I won't upgrade.
post #41 of 167 Old 01-18-2020, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus View Post
Quote:
Lg fills all the speakers with same content in surround mode whereas with samsung it just uses the surround for different sound stages rather than just filling,very much impressed. Wishing LG would adopt the same
This is perhaps the most important question that needs to be asked/ addressed so far. I am an SL10YG owner, and was shocked to learn after the fact that it only uses the rear spk8 set when sending Atmos 7.1
So any 5.1 content, which is 90% of what I watch is not output correctly to the rear speakers. If they have not fixed this blunder I won't upgrade.
This is incorrect, I've watched a lot of DD 5.1 content that was sent to the rear speakers no problem. Was just watching The Gifted in 5.1 and there was a lot of rear effects, soundbar set to Standard mode with "surround" setting set to off. Maybe you need to update your firmware? The SK10Y, the model before the SL10YG does work the way you mentioned but the SL10YG does not. If you look in the manual it specifies this.

It seems like the side surrounds on the bar get disabled and that signal sent to the rears on mine. The side surround on the bar only come into play during Atmos content, or if you turn on Movie mode or Surround on. At least in my experience.

This shows how Dolby Digital 5.1 outputs on the SK10Y: https://imgur.com/a/Rxxb6He which functions like what you mentioned you're having an issue with.

This shows how Dolby Digital 5.1 outputs on the SL10YG: https://imgur.com/a/4LE5ktP

As you can see, side firing speakers should be off and rear surrounds outputting the surround information. Something isn't working right with your system.

Last edited by WkittySkittyLBoF; 01-18-2020 at 07:25 AM.
post #42 of 167 Old 01-18-2020, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This is incorrect, I've watched a lot of DD 5.1 content that was sent to the rear speakers no problem. Was just watching The Gifted in 5.1 and there was a lot of rear effects, soundbar set to Standard mode with "surround" setting set to off. Maybe you need to update your firmware? The SK10Y, the model before the SL10YG does work the way you mentioned but the SL10YG does not. If you look in the manual it specifies this.

It seems like the side surrounds on the bar get disabled and that signal sent to the rears on mine. The side surround on the bar only come into play during Atmos content, or if you turn on Movie mode or Surround on. At least in my experience.

This shows how Dolby Digital 5.1 outputs on the SK10Y: https://imgur.com/a/Rxxb6He which functions like what you mentioned you're having an issue with.

This shows how Dolby Digital 5.1 outputs on the SL10YG: https://imgur.com/a/4LE5ktP

As you can see, side firing speakers should be off and rear surrounds outputting the surround information. Something isn't working right with your system.
Thank you for posting this!! You’ve eased my concerns with the new one.
post #43 of 167 Old 01-18-2020, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm in for this one. Will be selling my Q90r Soundbar soon

LG OLED 65C9 | Samsung Q90R Soundbar | OPPO UDP-203 | Apple TV 4K | Xbox One X | PS4 Pro
post #44 of 167 Old 01-18-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdnlc View Post
I'm in for this one. Will be selling my Q90r Soundbar soon
TBH, I love my SL10YG but the soundbar you have right now is probably better than the new LG soundbar, I would keep it!
post #45 of 167 Old 01-18-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:

Thank you! Was never able to find this manual.Who would have thought that setting it to movie mode would give the wrong sound output? Incredible.
LG have along way to go.
post #46 of 167 Old 01-19-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you! Was never able to find this manual.Who would have thought that setting it to movie mode would give the wrong sound output? Incredible.
LG have along way to go.
Np! Movie mode is equivalent to Dolby Surround upmixing pretty much.
post #47 of 167 Old 01-19-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
So i did what you suggested -
Picked Standard and ensured the surround mode was off (within the LG speaker app)
No dice- nothing at all comes from the rears when viewing content from 5.1 sources.

My connection looks like this:
LGC9>SL10YG Via earc HDMI
Nvidia Shield> C9
Content from Disney plus, Netflix and MKV files all play without any rear effects .
I can only get the rears to work when in movie mode, and then it mixes the audio so i get centre channel effects (voices etc) in the rears.
You mentioned firmware- was there a patch that rectified this, and wouldn't it be pushed down automatically?
post #48 of 167 Old 01-19-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Picked Standard and ensured the surround mode was off (within the LG speaker app)
No dice- nothing at all comes from the rears when viewing content from 5.1 sources.

Nvidia Shield> C9
Content from Disney plus, Netflix and MKV files all play without any rear effects .
I can only get the rears to work when in movie mode, and then it mixes the audio so i get centre channel effects (voices etc) in the rears.
You mentioned firmware- was there a patch that rectified this, and wouldn't it be pushed down automatically?
That's so odd, are you sure your Nvidia Shield is outputting the signal correctly? Maybe there's a setting that needs to be changed? Can you try using a different source to test? Like maybe the Netflix app on a Windows 10 laptop plugged to the bar with HDMI or an MKV?

I've had no issues with MKVs either through a cable from my Windows laptop or USB plugged right into my TV outputting through ARC. Built in streaming apps on my TV work too.

I think the updates are automatic, can you factory reset the soundbar too just to see?

Last edited by WkittySkittyLBoF; 01-19-2020 at 01:59 PM.
post #49 of 167 Old 01-20-2020, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
How would I tell if these new sound bars would work with my LG 65LA9700-UA ? This was LG’s 4K TV from several years ago that I bought and later discovered the HDMI ports were not 4K.
post #50 of 167 Old 01-20-2020, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Quote:

Nvidia Shield> C9

My rear speakers rarely engage as well when watching 5.1 content. There's one show where they're really active, everything else they're silent, not sure why it's just that show. I only watch on movie mode because every other sound mode sounds like garbage.
post #51 of 167 Old 01-20-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner89 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Nvidia Shield> C9

My rear speakers rarely engage as well when watching 5.1 content. There's one show where they're really active, everything else they're silent, not sure why it's just that show. I only watch on movie mode because every other sound mode sounds like garbage.
Try downloading the TV show The Gifted, I've been watching it and it has a lot of rear speaker effects throughout the show, would be a good way to test if it's just a content you're watching or there's something wrong. For example, the Big Bang Theory only has rear effects during that "molecule" cut scene between scenes and during the initial/end credits, not during the actual show. Some shows just don't have many rear effects. Just make sure it's a file with DD 5.1 in it for The Gifted of course.

There's also Dolby test files you can download, I found a Dolby Atmos 7.1.2 MKV file to test all of the channels on the bar to adjust they sound levels for example. You can see if the rear channels are activating properly.

And have you been able to try with a device other than the Nvidia Shield? The fact both of you have an Nvidia Shield and are having this issue makes me wonder.

Last edited by WkittySkittyLBoF; 01-20-2020 at 07:19 PM.
post #52 of 167 Old 01-20-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Trying downloading the TV show The Gifted, I've been watching it and it has a lot of rear speaker effects throughout the show, would be a good way to test if it's just a content you're watching or there's something wrong. Just make sure it's a file with DD 5.1 in it.

And have you been able to try with a device other than the Nvidia Shield? The fact both of you have an Nvidia Shield and are having this issue makes me wonder.
Looking at the chart posted here before, I am guessing it's because it's DTS 5.1 audio which uses all speakers no matter what mode and whether surround is off or on. This of course doesn't explain why the show I mentioned earlier used the rears actively when that was also DTS 5.1. I tested this out with Star Wars Rebels from Disney+ which is DDP 5.1 and set it to standard and surround off and there were tons of effects coming from the rear speakers.

It seems like with most 5.1 stuff, other than DD 5.1 on standard with surround off, where it says it uses all speakers it does not use the rear speakers at all . It should just replicate what comes out of the side firing speakers in the rear speakers. I would be fine with that since the soundbar apparently is not competent at upmixing 5.1 to 7.1
post #53 of 167 Old 01-20-2020, 07:33 PM

I supposed it's also possible that it is just the content, that it's just mixed in a very front-heavy way. It's certainly not that way with movies. Watching blu-rays with true 7.1 audio tracks is a real treat with this soundbar, even with the disappointing Atmos performance.
post #54 of 167 Old 01-20-2020, 07:54 PM

Ok I tested it again and I was right. It just doesn't upmix from 5.1 to 7.1. If you're not going to upmix then deactivate the side firing speakers and use the rear speakers for the surround channels. It's absurd. Who in their right mind would prefer that? The side firing speakers provide zero immersion. About half of what I watch is DTS. This means half what I watch can't use rear speakers at all and the other half I have the choice but I have to put the bar in standard mode which makes the audio sound worse than my TV's internal speakers.

I wonder if there Samsung 7.1.4 bar is like that. I'm guessing no.
post #55 of 167 Old 01-20-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Ok I tested it again and I was right. It just doesn't upmix from 5.1 to 7.1. If you're not going to upmix then deactivate the side firing speakers and use the rear speakers for the surround channels. It's absurd. Who in their right mind would prefer that? The side firing speakers provide zero immersion. About half of what I watch is DTS. This means half what I watch can't use rear speakers at all and the other half I have the choice but I have to put the bar in standard mode which makes the audio sound worse than my TV's internal speakers.

Interesting, I'm going to have to test some DTS content now. I did read a review where the Samsung bar uses the left and right side speakers for the side surrounds and the rears only for the rear sound effect, unless you turn on one of their upmixing modes, I forget where I read that though.
post #56 of 167 Old 01-20-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:

With DD 5.1 it does disable the side firing speakers and plays it in the rear instead I've found. You're saying that's not the same with DTS though?
post #57 of 167 Old 01-20-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:

With DD 5.1 it does disable the side firing speakers and plays it in the rear instead I've found. You're saying that's not the same with DTS though?
Not according to the chart in the manual. The diagram does DTS using all channels whether surround is on or off. I've watched several Blu Ray rips with DTS 5.1 where I don't notice anything coming from the rear. They only exception being doctor who. I don't know why. It's all very confusing.

Another issue this whole thing causes is Netflix and Disney+ Atmos titles use DDP 5.1 but the ability to use the different sound modes are disabled so you don't have the option to turn surround off. I remember thinking back when I watched altered carbon that it wasn't mixed well because of the lack of rear sounds. Now I just started the Witcher and it's all coming from the front.
post #58 of 167 Old 01-20-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not according to the chart in the manual. The diagram does DTS using all channels whether surround is on or off. I've watched several Blu Ray rips with DTS 5.1 where I don't notice anything coming from the rear. They only exception being doctor who. I don't know why. It's all very confusing.

Another issue this whole thing causes is Netflix and Disney+ Atmos titles use DDP 5.1 but the ability to use the different sound modes are disabled so you don't have the option to turn surround off. I remember thinking back when I watched altered carbon that it wasn't mixed well because of the lack of rear sounds. Now I just started the Witcher and it's all coming from the front.
Hmm, I'm going to be starting The Witcher soon, I'll update if I have the same issue or not.
post #59 of 167 Old 01-20-2020, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
TBH, I love my SL10YG but the soundbar you have right now is probably better than the new LG soundbar, I would keep it!
We are still waiting for the update to add eARC since last year. So no, it won't be better lol

LG OLED 65C9 | Samsung Q90R Soundbar | OPPO UDP-203 | Apple TV 4K | Xbox One X | PS4 Pro
post #60 of 167 Old 01-21-2020, 03:07 AM

Quote:

myself being a ex sl10yg user i am sure it never disabled the side firing speakers and pass the audio to rear. Whenever you play a 5.1 file the side firing and rear speakers would receive the same content, which just spoils the actual surround feel. The lg wifi speaker app has only 2 configurations, either you can fill rear with same sound content or use it for orginal surround playback(which happen whenever a 7.1 content is played).

you can test it out with 5.1 dolby digital test on youtube app.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
lg sn11rg

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page