LG 2020 Soundbars - SN11RG, SN10YG, SN9YG, and SN8YG - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #61 of 167 Old 01-21-2020, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala_gamer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WkittySkittyLBoF View Post
This is incorrect, I've watched a lot of DD 5.1 content that was sent to the rear speakers no problem. Was just watching The Gifted in 5.1 and there was a lot of rear effects, soundbar set to Standard mode with "surround" setting set to off. Maybe you need to update your firmware? The SK10Y, the model before the SL10YG does work the way you mentioned but the SL10YG does not. If you look in the manual it specifies this.

It seems like the side surrounds on the bar get disabled and that signal sent to the rears on mine. The side surround on the bar only come into play during Atmos content, or if you turn on Movie mode or Surround on. At least in my experience.

This shows how Dolby Digital 5.1 outputs on the SK10Y: https://imgur.com/a/Rxxb6He which functions like what you mentioned you're having an issue with.

This shows how Dolby Digital 5.1 outputs on the SL10YG: https://imgur.com/a/4LE5ktP

As you can see, side firing speakers should be off and rear surrounds outputting the surround information. Something isn't working right with your system.
myself being a ex sl10yg user i am sure it never disabled the side firing speakers and pass the audio to rear. Whenever you play a 5.1 file the side firing and rear speakers would receive the same content, which just spoils the actual surround feel. The lg wifi speaker app has only 2 configurations, either you can fill rear with same sound content or use it for orginal surround playback(which happen whenever a 7.1 content is played).

you can test it out with 5.1 dolby digital test on youtube app.
I just tested it again with a 5.1 test file and 5.1 TV show, the test file made a tone through the front left, center, front right, rear left, rear right, ignored the side left and right. Only a 7.1 file activates the side left and right (as the side surrounds) and the rear left and right (as rear surrounds). It's very odd people are having different experiences with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 167 Old 01-21-2020, 11:05 AM
GC3
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
I just tested it again with a 5.1 test file and 5.1 TV show, the test file made a tone through the front left, center, front right, rear left, rear right, ignored the side left and right. Only a 7.1 file activates the side left and right (as the side surrounds) and the rear left and right (as rear surrounds). It's very odd people are having different experiences with this.
This reads to me how it is supposed to work.
post #63 of 167 Old 01-22-2020, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC3 View Post
OK, so i have just finished testing my setup.

I can confirm the interconnect from the soundbar to the input on the C9 is correct.
Simplink is enabled.
Sound mode is Cinema
Sound out is HDMI ARC
Running latest firmware
Surround mode on SL10YG is set to OFF

I played 5.1 content from 3 sources all connected directly to my C9, then to my SL10YG via Monster hdmi.

1. LG Built in apps - Disney Plus, Dolby.
2. Nvidia Shield - Kodi MKV files, Netflix, Disney plus, Amazon Prime.
3. 4k PVR with 5.1 HDTV Programs (Australian open tennis etc)

Results: I can only get sound from the SPK8 speakers when its in "Movie" or "Bass Boost" modes.
If its in Standard, ASC or Music i get nothing, just a low static hiss (ie distortion)
That is 3 totally separate sources (LGC9 Apps,Shield, and PVR) all fed by separate monster hdmi cables.
Surround mode was disabled via the toggle on the remote or through the app - didn't make a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 167 Old 01-22-2020, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus View Post
Quote:
OK, so i have just finished testing my setup.

I can confirm the interconnect from the soundbar to the input on the C9 is correct.
Simplink is enabled.
Sound mode is Cinema
Sound out is HDMI ARC
Running latest firmware
Surround mode on SL10YG is set to OFF

I played 5.1 content from 3 sources all connected directly to my C9, then to my SL10YG via Monster hdmi.

1. LG Built in apps - Disney Plus, Dolby.
2. Nvidia Shield - Kodi MKV files, Netflix, Disney plus, Amazon Prime.
3. 4k PVR with 5.1 HDTV Programs (Australian open tennis etc)

Results: I can only get sound from the SPK8 speakers when its in "Movie" or "Bass Boost" modes.
If its in Standard, ASC or Music i get nothing, just a low static hiss (ie distortion)
That is 3 totally separate sources (LGC9 Apps,Shield, and PVR) all fed by separate monster hdmi cables.
Surround mode was disabled via the toggle on the remote or through the app - didn't make a difference.
In these situations, where the rears are just hissing, does any sound come out of the side surround on the soundbar?
post #65 of 167 Old 01-22-2020, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, this is functioning as expected, how the manual says it should. Others seem to be having issues, I'm almost wondering if there's different variants for different parts of the world with different software modifications. I got mine in Canada personally.
post #66 of 167 Old 01-24-2020, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2675 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Quote:
TBH, I love my SL10YG but the soundbar you have right now is probably better than the new LG soundbar, I would keep it!

You have no way of knowing that yet...

Shopping List:
TV: LG CX/GX; Samsung Q90T/Q800T...?
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #67 of 167 Old 01-25-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Quote:
TBH, I love my SL10YG but the soundbar you have right now is probably better than the new LG soundbar, I would keep it!

You have no way of knowing that yet...
That is true, you are right. My assumption is that it will be the same drivers/wattage/components but the rear wireless speakers will be the change, along with the AI room correction. And the Samsung Q90 was superior to the SL10YG overall. I guess we won't know for sure until review start to come out!
post #68 of 167 Old 01-26-2020, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
That is true, you are right. My assumption is that it will be the same drivers/wattage/components but the rear wireless speakers will be the change, along with the AI room correction. And the Samsung Q90 was superior to the SL10YG overall. I guess we won't know for sure until review start to come out!
There were two big concerns with the current LG bars. Crappy center channel and fluby bass. The new 11RG has a bigger sub than last years top model. That doesn't necessarily mean it will perform better, but it's a good start. Maybe the room correction will help it as well. I still wonder how the center channel will get resolved. I'm actually leaning towards the Klipsch 5.1.4 coming out .. but that won't hit until something like August.
tigertim likes this.

Living Room: LG 77C9 | Sonos 5.1 | DirecTV | XBox One X
Theater Room: JVC NX-7 (incoming) | Denon AVR-X8500H | NHT 7.1 - Inwalltech .6
post #69 of 167 Old 01-26-2020, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCecil View Post
Quote:
There were two big concerns with the current LG bars. Crappy center channel and fluby bass. The new 11RG has a bigger sub than last years top model. That doesn't necessarily mean it will perform better, but it's a good start. Maybe the room correction will help it as well. I still wonder how the center channel will get resolved. I'm actually leaning towards the Klipsch 5.1.4 coming out .. but that won't hit until something like August.
Does it? Looks like this years sub is an 8” I couldn’t find anything about last years. The interesting tid bit is they’re now claiming it’s a 7.1.4 surround system as opposed to the 5.1.2 from last year, although I guess that’s because they now include the surround speakers. The Sub interestingly drops in wattage (220 vs 200 this year) but power consumption goes from 36W to 38W. I think LG is moving in the right direction here with the room correction as well, I’m very anxious to see some reviews that aren’t skewed because it doesn’t “match a standalone system.”

Anyways, I also am interested in the Klipsch. They’re a well known audio company and that bar has 1000 watts. We don’t know how that wattage is being used per channel but it does have the 12” subwoofer with it, which is a plus. I have a bit more faith in Klipsch since they aren’t adding the side speakers and calling it a 7.1.4 system. That and after 2 years I imagine they’re going to make this something worthwhile. At 1000 watts I imagine you’re probably looking at 100 watt center (maybe overkill), 80 watt everything else and a 260 watt sub, could be a much larger sub output and I’m way off.

Comes down to reviews. I know I can score the LG’s on sale so if the Klipsch is just kind of “meh” reviewed (doubtful) I’ll save my money and buy the LG.
post #70 of 167 Old 01-26-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dhereicome View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Does it? Looks like this years sub is an 8” I couldn’t find anything about last years. The interesting tid bit is they’re now claiming it’s a 7.1.4 surround system as opposed to the 5.1.2 from last year, although I guess that’s because they now include the surround speakers. The Sub interestingly drops in wattage (220 vs 200 this year) but power consumption goes from 36W to 38W. I think LG is moving in the right direction here with the room correction as well, I’m very anxious to see some reviews that aren’t skewed because it doesn’t “match a standalone system.”

Anyways, I also am interested in the Klipsch. They’re a well known audio company and that bar has 1000 watts. We don’t know how that wattage is being used per channel but it does have the 12” subwoofer with it, which is a plus. I have a bit more faith in Klipsch since they aren’t adding the side speakers and calling it a 7.1.4 system. That and after 2 years I imagine they’re going to make this something worthwhile. At 1000 watts I imagine you’re probably looking at 100 watt center (maybe overkill), 80 watt everything else and a 260 watt sub, could be a much larger sub output and I’m way off.

Comes down to reviews. I know I can score the LG’s on sale so if the Klipsch is just kind of “meh” reviewed (doubtful) I’ll save my money and buy the LG.
Last year's, the one I have, has a 7 inch 220 watt subwoofer, so the new one seems to have an improvement on that front!

The drop from 220 to 200 watts on the sub doesn't really mean anything, because I've heard some amazing sounding 100 watt subwoofers and some crappy sounding 300 watt ones.

Last edited by WkittySkittyLBoF; 01-27-2020 at 04:47 AM.
post #71 of 167 Old 01-26-2020, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dhereicome View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Last year's, the one I have, has a 7 inch 220 watt subwoofer, so the new one seems to have an improvement on that front!

I drop from 220 to 200 watts on the sub doesn't really mean anything, because I've heard some amazing sounding 100 watt subwoofers and some crappy sounding 300 watt ones.
That’s good! I don’t remember what my current SJ9 has, I assume it’s a 7”. I’ve always thought it sounded just fine tbh. It goes pretty deep, I guess it doesn’t have like that percussion bass some large subs have but it’s fine for movies.
post #72 of 167 Old 01-27-2020, 03:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Guessing 2020 soundbars will come out around the same time the TV's do?
post #73 of 167 Old 01-27-2020, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Except they announced the Klipsch sound bar at CES a year ago with a fall release and it never came out. So who knows if it will be out in August.
post #74 of 167 Old 01-27-2020, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Credelle View Post
Except they announced the Klipsch sound bar at CES a year ago with a fall release and it never came out. So who knows if it will be out in August.
True, and I'm not even sure I want to wait until August for a new bar. The Sonos I have is ok-ish, but the lack of DTS support is really annoying. If I was picking right now I'd go the Q90r, even though that has its issues as well. My biggest problem is finding a reasonable place to listen around me. I'm kind of out in the boonies.

Living Room: LG 77C9 | Sonos 5.1 | DirecTV | XBox One X
Theater Room: JVC NX-7 (incoming) | Denon AVR-X8500H | NHT 7.1 - Inwalltech .6
post #75 of 167 Old 02-02-2020, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone found a releasing date? I can't find anything about it,online.
post #76 of 167 Old 02-13-2020, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Goolsby View Post
In all seriousness, when is this? I'm curious when I'll be able to get my hands on the SN11RG.
post #77 of 167 Old 02-13-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungarianhc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Goolsby View Post
In all seriousness, when is this? I'm curious when I'll be able to get my hands on the SN11RG.
Same, I love my SL10YG w/rear speakers but the updated subwoofer, room correction, eARC and rear Atmos speakers are enough to make me consider upgrading if I can sell my current one for a good price.
post #78 of 167 Old 04-02-2020, 05:10 PM
GC3
Advanced Member

SN11RG Available for preorder at B&H for $1696 "shipping soon"
post #79 of 167 Old 04-06-2020, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
SN11RG Available for preorder at B&H for $1696 "shipping soon"

They were supposed to start shipping April 1.

Shopping List:

Last edited by New24K; 04-22-2020 at 10:03 AM.
post #80 of 167 Old 04-07-2020, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsss View Post
As of the end of last month, LG UK's Twitter account seems to think that they're arriving in May. I'd assume similar timing (or slightly earlier) in the US.
post #81 of 167 Old 04-22-2020, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
lg.com is now listing the SN11RG for sale @ $1699.99. I clicked "add to cart" and it took it and computed tax and shipping address. Hesitant to purchase it directly from LG, not knowing how their returns actually work. Would feel confident buying from amazon, bestbuy, bhphoto, crutchfield. Not having any reviews of actual hands on, I am leery, although have been waiting on this one for a while now. Was really surprised to see it available this morning. Had talked to BHPhot rep last week who check with buyers and did not expect availability intil mid-summer.
New24K likes this.
post #82 of 167 Old 04-23-2020, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I have read a on a few websites i think the sn9yg sn10yg and sn11yg will have full hdmi 2.1 and why would they advertise it as hdmi 2.1 and its not apparently Samsung's new soundbars this year i think only have earc as they dont advertise the hdmi 2.1 it just say earc because you can have hdmi 2.0 with earc so the best bet is the lg soundbars will have full hdmi 2.1
post #83 of 167 Old 04-24-2020, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Kenji38 - Thanks for the info. was unaware of the sn11yg. Will hold off on pulling the trigger on the sn11rg for a while. May need to wait and see how the samsung q950t looks as well as the klipsch bar 54. Both may be available by end of summer or early fall.
post #84 of 167 Old 04-26-2020, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Strange...

I wonder if the differences in the SN11YG and SN11RG are regional...

Shopping List:
post #85 of 167 Old 05-01-2020, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I now see both the SN8YG and SN9YG on Best Buy as well as on Amazon with the SN10YG being on there too, so that must be a sign that they're very close to being fully available to the public.

America elevates you to another level.
post #86 of 167 Old 05-01-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Strange...

I wonder if the differences in the SN11YG and SN11RG are regional... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]
Isn't the different the included rear Atmos upfiring speakers?
post #87 of 167 Old 05-01-2020, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I think the SN11YG was a misprint - as I cannot find anything about it...?

Shopping List:
post #88 of 167 Old 05-02-2020, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am so lost with the LG line up. In jan 2020 they announced the LG SN11RG sound bar but since then information has been no existent. I have been in touch with LG multiple times to which they say it’s coming in May. The odd thing is if it’s releasing this month, then why is there still no info so late on?

I have seen it on LG uk and then some independent online retailers but non are for the uk and I don’t even think other sites are delivering them. It’s such a strange situation.

I really want the SN11RG as I have the LG c9 so earc for me is a great feature for it. Plus being 7.1.4. I have been wanting to buy this for ages but information on it doesn’t exist.
post #89 of 167 Old 05-02-2020, 02:10 PM
GC3
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhspence View Post
I am so lost with the LG line up. In jan 2020 they announced the LG SN11RG sound bar but since then information has been no existent. I have been in touch with LG multiple times to which they say it’s coming in May. The odd thing is if it’s releasing this month, then why is there still no info so late on?

I have seen it on LG uk and then some independent online retailers but non are for the uk and I don’t even think other sites are delivering them. It’s such a strange situation.

I really want the SN11RG as I have the LG c9 so earc for me is a great feature for it. Plus being 7.1.4. I have been wanting to buy this for ages but information on it doesn’t exist.
be patient it will get there eventually
post #90 of 167 Old 05-04-2020, 03:14 PM
GC3
Advanced Member

Looks like Sonos will get a Atmos soundbar to market at the same time. Since I'm already invested in sonos 5.1 it'll be much cheaper to buy that. Sorry LG (probably)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
lg sn11rg

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page