LG 2020 Soundbars - SN11RG, SN10YG, SN9YG, and SN8YG - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #151 of 171 Old 05-20-2020, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce View Post
I believe the speaker wire appears to be standard and you should be able to substitute 8 ohm in wall speakers without issue...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
The rear speakers are upfiring, right? so is it just one set of speaker wire terminals in the surround speakers? Or is it two, one for the normal speaker and one for atmos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 171 Old 05-20-2020, 12:14 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungarianhc View Post
The rear speakers are upfiring, right? so is it just one set of speaker wire terminals in the surround speakers? Or is it two, one for the normal speaker and one for atmos?
The rear speakers are front firing only but the soundbar has seven speakers total built in, two of which are upfiring, two are side surrounds. and three are LF, C, RF. So with the rear speaker kit you have a 7.1.2 system with excellent ATMOS for a soundbar based system...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-65A8G 65 inch Bravia OLED 4K TV
Panasonic DP-UB820 UltraHD Premium Blu-ray Player * 2019 Nvidia Shield TV
LG SL10YG 7.1.2 Channel Soundbar + Rear Speaker kit w/Meridian Technology & Dolby Atmos / DTS:X
post #153 of 171 Old 05-20-2020, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

It is only the SN11RG that has upfiring rear speakers...

EDIT: I have the SL10YG and was referring to it in my posts above. Apologies as the specific question was in regards to the 2020 soundbars which of course this thread is dedicated to.

Though all of the 2020 soundbars except the SN11RG use the same rear speaker kit that I am using with the SL10YG....

LG SL10YG 7.1.2 Channel Soundbar + Rear Speaker kit w/Meridian Technology & Dolby Atmos / DTS:X

Last edited by tonydeluce; 05-20-2020 at 04:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 171 Old 05-20-2020, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
With the lg 2020 tvs it doesnt have dts pass so you would just pass lpcm if your gaming it would sound better anyways so it really wouldnt matter coz there are no games that have dts hd ma or dtsx and the ps5 games wont have it either coz its using its own audio tech same with the xbox series x
post #155 of 171 Old 05-21-2020, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone, I saw the light so I came in !

I've been wondering about something that may be seen as silly but.... I don't really get the whole deal about 3.1 / 5.1 / 7.1 . I mean, I do know that the number refers to the number of speakers you have, for example 5.1 means 3 in front and 2 in the back while 3.1 is only the 3 in the front right ? But that's for an audio system with separate speakers.

In a sound bar, all speakers are in front of you, in the bar ! So I don't really understand the difference between the SN8 (3.1.2) and the SN9 (5.1.2). Would that mean that the 9 is coming with the optionnal rear speakers (wich would mean 3 in the bar and 2 in the back) or does it have 5 speakers in the bar itself ?

I'm not sure if it's really a big difference to 3 or 5 speakers in the bar to be honest.

I would love is someone would be kind enough to explain this to me

Have a nice day !

P.S.: english isn't my primary language, sorry if it's messy !
post #156 of 171 Old 05-21-2020, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MokonaW View Post
Hi everyone, I saw the light so I came in !

I've been wondering about something that may be seen as silly but.... I don't really get the whole deal about 3.1 / 5.1 / 7.1 . I mean, I do know that the number refers to the number of speakers you have, for example 5.1 means 3 in front and 2 in the back while 3.1 is only the 3 in the front right ? But that's for an audio system with separate speakers.

In a sound bar, all speakers are in front of you, in the bar ! So I don't really understand the difference between the SN8 (3.1.2) and the SN9 (5.1.2). Would that mean that the 9 is coming with the optionnal rear speakers (wich would mean 3 in the bar and 2 in the back) or does it have 5 speakers in the bar itself ?

I'm not sure if it's really a big difference to 3 or 5 speakers in the bar to be honest.

I would love is someone would be kind enough to explain this to me

Have a nice day !

P.S.: english isn't my primary language, sorry if it's messy !
The .2 at the end of the channel designations are upward firing ATMOS speakers which are intended to reflect off of the ceiling; the .1 in the middle is for the subwoofer; the 3 for the first soundbar you reference would imply the front three speakers, i.e. L, R, and C. The 5 in the case of the second soundbar means the L, C, and R, plus two additional speakers that would likely represent the left and right side surrounds or the left and right rear surrounds if you do not have the rear speaker kit.

Of course, there is no way a sound bar in front of you is really going have sound coming directly from behind you so you would need the rear speaker kit for those channels in which I believe you would get some minimal side surround effect from the soundbar in the case of the SN9. If you add the rear speaker kit to the two soundbars you mention these would become 5.1.2 ( rather than 3.1.2 ) and 7.1.2 ( rather than 5.1.2 ) systems.

I would not expect the upward firing ATMOS speakers to be on the same level as dedicated discrete ATMOS speakers attached directly to the ceiling but in the case of the LG SL10YG that I have I am definitely getting a very enjoyable ATMOS effect with a 3D sound field and can hear objects that appear to be directly overhead of my seating position when present in the movie. So the upward firing ATMOS speakers are definitely working.

Last edited by tonydeluce; 05-22-2020 at 06:18 AM.
post #157 of 171 Old 05-21-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
the 3 for the first soundbar you reference would imply the front three speakers, i.e. L, R, and C. The 5 in the case of the second soundbar means the L, C, and R, plus two additional speakers that would likely represent the left and right side surrounds or the left and right rear surrounds if you do not have the rear speaker kit.

Of course, there is no way a sound bar in front of you is really going have sound coming directly from behind you so you would need the rear speaker kit for those channels in which I believe you would get some minimal side surround effect from the soundbar. If you add the rear speaker kit to the two soundbars you mention these would become 5.1.2 ( rather than 3.1.2 ) and 7.1.2 ( rather than 5.1.2 ) systems.

I see, thanks for the infos ! Does that mean that the SN8 does not have any surrond effect while the SN9 (and of course 10/11) does ?

You see, I'm strill trying to figure out if the SN9 is worth the additionnal money
post #158 of 171 Old 05-21-2020, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I see, thanks for the infos ! Does that mean that the SN8 does not have any surrond effect while the SN9 (and of course 10/11) does ?

You see, I'm strill trying to figure out if the SN9 is worth the additionnal money
I believe there are modes to simulate surround sound but again without physical rear speakers it will not come close. If having real surround sound is important to you (it is to me), I would pull the trigger on the SN8 and get the LG rear speaker kit which is on sale from LG and probably all of their retailers right now for $50 off:
https://www.lg.com/us/home-audio/lg-...s-surround-kit

This would end up running you right now almost 10% less than the SN9 and you would have a real 5.1.2 system with physical rear surrounds which in my opinion would be a better system than the SN9 without the rear speaker kit. But I would check out things like if the subwoofers are the same for both systems, etc. as this may matter to you even more than real surround sound...

Last edited by tonydeluce; 05-21-2020 at 11:47 AM.
post #159 of 171 Old 05-21-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I believe there are modes to simulate surround sound but again without physical rear speakers it will not come close. If having real surround sound is important to you (it is to me), I would pull the trigger on the SN8 and get the LG rear speaker kit which is on sale from LG and probably all of their retailers right now for $50 off:

This would end up running you right now almost 10% less than the SN9 and you would have a real 5.1.2 system with physical rear surrounds which in my opinion would be a better system than the SN9 without the rear speaker kit. But I would check out things like if the subwoofers are the same for both systems, etc. as this may matter to you even more than real surround sound...

that's really informative, thanks a lot ! I think I will doing just that I just need to wait for it to be available in Europe....

Best regards.
post #160 of 171 Old 05-21-2020, 06:42 PM

Hey ian with your dts problem on the cx tv just wait till hdmi 2.1 splitter comes out and then you can plug an xbox one x or ps4 or ps5 or xbox series x when it comes out plug from conosle or blueray player to the tv and then split it with the hdmi 2.1 splitter to the soundbar input then you will have dts hd ma or dtsx so really you wouldnt need to worry about dts not passing and hdmi 2.1 splitters will problem be out by the end of the year or early next year
post #161 of 171 Old 05-21-2020, 06:44 PM

Was meant to say will probably be out by the end of the year or early next year
post #162 of 171 Old 05-25-2020, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need a soundbar for my LG C9

I’m new to the 4K world and never used a soundbar before. I just purchased the LG C9 65 inch TV and am looking for a midrange sound bar for the set. This will go in my bedroom where I have a fairly large room with high vaulted ceilings, which I know is not ideal.

I’ve done a fair amount of research on soundbars and it seems like 2020 is a turning point for systems coming out with the new E-ARC feature. My understanding is that an E-ARC enabled soundbar has higher bandwidth for uncompressed audio, and possibly may solve some of the lip sync issues with using an ARC connection.

If money were no object I would probably get the LG SN9YG for $1,000 plus the two rear facing LG speakers for $129. But my goal is to spend no more than around $600 for the set.

I noticed the LG SL9YG price has dropped down to $429 on Amazon. From what I can tell it’s comparable to the LG SN9YG in size but does not have the E-ARC connector. While it would be nice to have the brand new model, it seems crazy to pay more than twice the price for that feature.

Am I missing anything here? Will I have any lip sync issues with the SL9YG model? I’ve seen a lot of comments about lip sync problems but it’s not consistent as to who is having the problems and under what scenarios.

I currently have a Tivo Bolt, and I watch Netflix and Prime using the Web OS app. Eventually I will buy an Apple TV when the next gen model is released. Would you recommend I go with the SL9YG or look for something else?
post #163 of 171 Old 05-25-2020, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Does SN11 output rears from sides when source is 7.1 same as previous models?
post #164 of 171 Old 05-26-2020, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got a new LG SN9YG and had it wall mounted today. It is paired to my LG C9 65”

It is such a a great sound bar and much better than last years models. Definitely worth the extra money.
post #165 of 171 Old 05-26-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz-racing View Post
I got a new LG SN9YG and had it wall mounted today. It is paired to my LG C9 65”

It is such a a great sound bar and much better than last years models. Definitely worth the extra money.
Aside from support for E-ARC, what are the main advantages of the SN9YG over the SL9YG?
post #166 of 171 Old 05-26-2020, 10:35 AM

I would say it's the IA room setup and the Atmos.

@[email protected] why would you buy an AppleTV when you already have one in your TV ? I removed mine when I bought my B9 because you can do all the same with Airplay2 and the ATV app.
post #167 of 171 Old 05-26-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I would say it's the IA room setup and the Atmos.

@[email protected] why would you buy an AppleTV when you already have one in your TV ? I removed mine when I bought my B9 because you can do all the same with Airplay2 and the ATV app.
I might not get the Apple TV. It depends on whether there are any new features that come out on the next gen model. But most of the comments I’ve read about lip sync problems seem to be related to using WebOS, and they don’t seem to exist on the Apple TV. And I know that Apple will continuously update their ecosystem where LG seems to somewhat limited in offering software updates on their televisions.

I ordered the last SL9YG soundbar from Amazon at the $427 price. I figure it’s returnable if I don’t like it but at almost $600 less than the SN9YG model it seems to represent a very good value, at least for my first sound bar. It’s concerning to me that the prices on soundbars drop so much in one year. These don’t seem like $1,000 sound bars to me based on what I’ve read. But I’ll know better next week when it arrives.
post #168 of 171 Old 05-28-2020, 07:11 PM

The sl9yg is only a 4.1.2 channel the sn9yg is 5.1.2 channel and have earc and ai room
post #169 of 171 Old 05-28-2020, 07:12 PM

Ai room Calibration
post #170 of 171 Old 05-28-2020, 08:52 PM

Is the SN9YG worth $600 more than the SL9YG?
post #171 of 171 Old Today, 02:55 PM

With regards to the LG SN10YG. It's annoying that I can't seem to turn the LED display and the google assistant LED circles off. Also, the LED seems to dim after several minutes which is good, but then it lights up again in full glow. Then it will dim again and light up after several minutes in a neverending cycle. It's very distracting when watching movies. For those of you who have the soundbar or a similar model, does this happen to you guys too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
lg sn11rg

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page