LG 2020 Soundbars - SN11RG, SN10YG, SN9YG, and SN8YG - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #211 of 245 Old 06-15-2020, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So excited! Best Buy called 4 days early to pick up the SN11RG. Setting up this afternoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 245 Old 06-15-2020, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Any review / opinion about the SN8YG ? The SL8 of last year was very bad on the reviews. I have a promotion at about 500€ so I hesitate a lot waiting for returns.
I hesitate between the new Sony G700 but it's a 3.1.0, and the SN9YG but it's much more expensive. I had set myself a budget of 500€ to go with a OLED TV like LG CX.
post #213 of 245 Old 06-15-2020, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I have the sl8 from last years and i just got the sn9 but as far as i can tell you in the sn9 the center channel woofer is a different design than last years model and sounds alot better and last years sl8 wasnt too bad but i think they improved alot with their soundbars this year so i think the sn8 will sound alot better than last years sl8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 245 Old 06-15-2020, 07:33 PM

Got the SN11RG set up...

Biggest challenge faced was trying to set it up with my Note8 phone. Once I gave up on that, and tried with my iPhone it worked rather easily. I'm very impressed thus far...

One actual Atmos feeds (Hulu) it displayed as Atmos. On some "Atmos" feeds from Netflix (Daredevil) it only showed as Dolby Audio. Wondering if Netflix is cutting bandwidth due to demand.

I'm happy with this. Sits nicely below the C8 TV.
New24K likes this.
post #215 of 245 Old 06-16-2020, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok423 View Post
Biggest challenge faced was trying to set it up with my Note8 phone. Once I gave up on that, and tried with my iPhone it worked rather easily. I'm very impressed thus far...

One actual Atmos feeds (Hulu) it displayed as Atmos. On some "Atmos" feeds from Netflix (Daredevil) it only showed as Dolby Audio. Wondering if Netflix is cutting bandwidth due to demand.

I'm happy with this. Sits nicely below the C8 TV.
What was the source device? Netflix Atmos works fine for me via both eARC/internal LG apps and Xbox One X.
post #216 of 245 Old 06-16-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sininspira View Post
What was the source device? Netflix Atmos works fine for me via both eARC/internal LG apps and Xbox One X.

2019 Shield TV Pro.

Give me a show on Netflix in which the bar correctly showed Dolby Atmos (not Dolby Audio) for you. I'll check with that.

Recall I don't have eARC on the C8. So I have to plug source directly into soundbar.
post #217 of 245 Old 06-16-2020, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hey, how is your experience with the SN11RG, are you blown away by the atmos. Does give that omg I can hear all these sounds coming from different places specially height and catches you by a good surprise.
New24K likes this.
post #218 of 245 Old 06-16-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:

2019 Shield TV Pro.

Give me a show on Netflix in which the bar correctly showed Dolby Atmos (not Dolby Audio) for you. I'll check with that.

Recall I don't have eARC on the C8. So I have to plug source directly into soundbar.
Season 3 Episode 1 of Daredevil shows up as Dolby Atmos on the soundbar via Xbox connected to soundbar HDMI. Though, non-Atmos content is also showing up as Atmos on the Xbox as well. I think the Xbox just pushes it all through as "Atmos" while it's set to it.

Unfortunately I don't have a shield to test with, sorry.
post #219 of 245 Old 06-16-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:

2019 Shield TV Pro.

I did a little digging and the only thing I could find was the suggestion to turn off "Dolby Audio Processing" in "advanced sound settings" on your shield. When enabled it apparently puts everything in a lossy DD+ container and processes the audio on-device instead of letting the AVR do it.

Last edited by sininspira; 06-17-2020 at 12:15 AM.
post #220 of 245 Old 06-17-2020, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
What stands are best for the 11RG rear speakers?
post #221 of 245 Old 06-17-2020, 05:39 AM

Lg has done it this year sn9 sounds heaps good alot more high end treble and mid bass and low end is good too the samsung hw q90r i think wouldnt sound as good as the sn11rg and even when the q950t soundbar comes out i notice their rear speakers are so light even the swa9000s and swa8500s are so light not even a kg in weight the spk8s are like nearly 2kg each
post #222 of 245 Old 06-17-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I did a little digging and the only thing I could find was the suggestion to turn off "Dolby Audio Processing" in "advanced sound settings" on your shield. When enabled it apparently puts everything in a lossy DD+ container and processes the audio on-device instead of letting the AVR do it.

Did a little testing myself. Apparently, only season 3 of DareDevil is Dolby Atmos. Season 2 last episode was "Dolby Audio" and Season 3, Ep1 shows Dolby Atmos.

It made little difference whether the Dolby Audio Processing was set on the Shield (as far as reported signal). So I guess I'll just let the soundbar due the processing vs the Shield.

Thanks!
post #223 of 245 Old 06-17-2020, 10:56 PM

Question

Anyone with a 2020 model and Google homes want to help me troubleshoot? My SN11RG won't stream music correctly when it's part of a Google speaker group.

-Casting direct to SN11RG or asking the SN11RG "okay Google, play music" = works as intended

-Casting to speaker group from phone = no sound on SN11RG, yet the display, Google Home app, and LG Wifi Speaker app seeing it as playing. Other Google home devices play the audio.

-Asking SN11RG "Hey Google, play music on [speaker group]" = similar to casting, except choppy/distorted sound from SN11RG. Google homes, again, work fine.

I've reached out to support to report the issues as it seems like a software problem, but I wanted to know if anyone else has the same issue. Everything else works 100%.

I should note that I've only used Youtube Music and Google Play Music to test so far. I guess I should sign up and try Spotify or Pandora too.

Last edited by sininspira; 06-17-2020 at 11:00 PM.
post #224 of 245 Old 06-18-2020, 07:02 PM

Something annoying... SN11RG

So today watching a channel on Youtube TV app and on the Netflix app, he screen flickered and just went out for a few seconds and then came back on. Like it lost video sync...

Possible this is a cable issue and I should just get some new monoprice cables?
post #225 of 245 Old 06-18-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
So today watching a channel on Youtube TV app and on the Netflix app, he screen flickered and just went out for a few seconds and then came back on. Like it lost video sync...

Possible this is a cable issue and I should just get some new monoprice cables?
Yeah, especially if you're running in-wall or near a lot of power. I have all monoprice certified cables (all under 15ft) without an issue. Annoyingly thick, though. Any cable from Amazon I've eventually had problems with.
post #226 of 245 Old 06-18-2020, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If there is anyone that has the SN11RG and could tell me what the voltages are on the sub/soundbar/speakers? I'm thinking to purchase and bring with me to Japan, but power there is 100V/50. It isn't too far off and would still work, but optimally, I'd rather matching voltages without having to purchase a step-up transformer for every device.
post #227 of 245 Old 06-19-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xt14 View Post
If there is anyone that has the SN11RG and could tell me what the voltages are on the sub/soundbar/speakers? I'm thinking to purchase and bring with me to Japan, but power there is 100V/50. It isn't too far off and would still work, but optimally, I'd rather matching voltages without having to purchase a step-up transformer for every device.
All of them say 120V ~ 60Hz.
post #228 of 245 Old 06-20-2020, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SN11RG LPCM Surround Implementation Fail

Finally received my SN11RG last week, replacing my Marantz AVR + 4.1 separates (no center channel because I couldn't find a decent standalone center speaker under 3" inches tall ... I only have ~2.5" of clearance between the TV's furniture and LG E9 display's lower bezel).

A warning for those considering the bar who have an Apple TV 4K or Nintendo Switch...

If you like to listen to your audio in "standard" mode, meaning the surround channels are reproduced per the creator's wish and not up-mixed via some surround mode, there is a glaring issue with this bar. If the bar is fed a Dolby Digital, DTS, Atmos or DTS:X bitstream (regardless of channel count), the sound will come from the speakers as expected. Rear audio is sent to the rear speakers. You'll should be golden and very pleased with this bar.

However, if you send the bar 5.1 LPCM, it sends the L/R rear channels to the side-firing speakers AT THE FRONT OF YOUR ROOM. You lose true surround for virtualized surround. The only way around this is to turn on different surround "modes" or up-mixers, and I think is fair to say most people reading these forums despise such. To me, they sound awful and defeat the purpose of bitstream or LPCM.

This behavior is not a fluke - check out LG's own user manual. Page 27, standard mode, 5.1 Ch "Others" Input. "Others" essentially means LPCM.

I confirmed today that the rear channels on non-Atmos 5.1 content from the Apple TV 4K (output via 5.1 channel LPCM instead of a Dolby bitstream, due to ATV's "Auto" setting) use the bar's front side-firing speakers instead of the wireless rears. The solution is to change your ATV's audio format/output settings from Auto (LPCM) to Dolby 5.1 (bitstream). This slightly reduces audio quality, down-mixes 7.1 content and turns off Atmos, but it makes the rears work as expected.

To read further details on how ATV handles audio output, Google "dolby audio support on apple tv dolby developer" and click the first link. Forum wouldn't let me post a link because I'm a new member.

When I want to watch 7.1 or Atmos content, I now have to change the ATV audio setting back to Auto for that viewing, which restores full LPCM 7.1 or Atmos to the soundbar. It's quite frustrating, but allows proper surround for the vast majority of content we watch, with the option of flipping on Atmos or 7.1 when there is a need. There is far more non-Atmos than Atmos content out there.

Spending $1,500 on what is arguably meant to replace a full AVR, only to then reduce the sound quality from one of your sources, is incredibly frustrating. If I had any other alternatives, I'd walk away and ask for my money back from LG. Unfortunately, this is about my only choice at the moment.

For those that use their TV's built-in Netflix / Apple TV + / other streaming apps, I don't believe this is a problem, as the TV will send a bitstream Dolby signal instead of PCM.

As a side-note the 5.1 LPCM issue will also plague those using a Nintendo Switch or a PC/console that doesn't encode its audio to a bitstream. I'm a big Mario Kart player and was super disappointed to learn I can no longer hear my opponents coming up from behind my sofa.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 1.11.16 PM.png
Views:	80
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	2746048  
post #229 of 245 Old 06-20-2020, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any views on how good/useful the AI calibration is?

There are good deals on the hw q90r, but only thing that puts me off is lack of AI calibration.

I have a fairly normal shaped room but tv is to one side, so sound bar is close to one wall, and rears would be right behind me next to sofa.

Just not sure how much I need to worry about the atmos/surround sounding correct given I'm no pro when it comes to setting these things up.

Thanks
post #230 of 245 Old 06-22-2020, 01:31 AM

Of course it will fold the left and right front channels to the side speakers coz your only outputting 5.1pcm even an avr would do that your brought a 7.1.4 soundbar if you wanted 5.1pcm then u should of brought the sn8yg with the rear speakers if you were outputting 7.1pcm which the soundbar supports too then u wouldnt have the issue of the left and right front folding into the side speakers if you get the top of the AVR and your setup is 7.1.4 and output 5.1pcm it will do same thing so dont know why your complaining for thats how it works but on an AVR you would have the option to turn off two channels when your only playing 5.1pcm
post #231 of 245 Old 06-22-2020, 01:39 AM

Thats just how it CROUTONS nothing you say will change it what i suggest u doing is going to the switch and try changing it to output 7.1 on the ps4 has the that option when i plug the SN9 that i just got about a week ago and i think its alot better than samsungs soundbars their rears swa8500s and swa9000s without the up firing speakers feel light and cheap the lg spk8s are like over a 1kg heavier each the thing u need to do is to ask Nintendo to upate their audio to output 7.1pcm if it doesnt have it
post #232 of 245 Old 06-22-2020, 01:42 AM

Correcttion sorry i wrote it wrong what i meant was it will send the side surround to the rear channels sorry
post #233 of 245 Old 06-22-2020, 01:44 AM

Even an AVR would do that unless you turn off 2 channels when playing 5.1pcm if have 7.1 system
post #234 of 245 Old 06-22-2020, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Anyone with a 2020 model and Google homes want to help me troubleshoot? My SN11RG won't stream music correctly when it's part of a Google speaker group.

-Casting direct to SN11RG or asking the SN11RG "okay Google, play music" = works as intended

-Casting to speaker group from phone = no sound on SN11RG, yet the display, Google Home app, and LG Wifi Speaker app seeing it as playing. Other Google home devices play the audio.

-Asking SN11RG "Hey Google, play music on [speaker group]" = similar to casting, except choppy/distorted sound from SN11RG. Google homes, again, work fine.

I've reached out to support to report the issues as it seems like a software problem, but I wanted to know if anyone else has the same issue. Everything else works 100%.

I should note that I've only used Youtube Music and Google Play Music to test so far. I guess I should sign up and try Spotify or Pandora too.
I just got the SN9RG and was having some similar issues. My all speakers group without the soundbar worked fine and the soundbar worked fine on its own, but with everything in one group the audio skipped a lot. However, I seem to have fixed it.

My router has two 5GHz SSIDs and two 2.4GHz SSIDs. I realized that the majority of my devices were on the same 5GHz SSID for some reason. I went through and moved all of my Google devices and the soundbar to the mostly empty 5GHz SSID and now don't seem to have any issues when trying to play on all speakers.
post #235 of 245 Old 06-22-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud sloth View Post
Quote:

I just got the SN9RG and was having some similar issues. My all speakers group without the soundbar worked fine and the soundbar worked fine on its own, but with everything in one group the audio skipped a lot. However, I seem to have fixed it.

My router has two 5GHz SSIDs and two 2.4GHz SSIDs. I realized that the majority of my devices were on the same 5GHz SSID for some reason. I went through and moved all of my Google devices and the soundbar to the mostly empty 5GHz SSID and now don't seem to have any issues when trying to play on all speakers.
I mean it's still unacceptable and probably able to be solved via an update. My bar is on 5Ghz with full signal, and everything on my network works just fine.
post #236 of 245 Old 06-29-2020, 07:19 PM

I'm really surprised there arn't more impressions of this sound bar. Can anyone with the SN11RG please give us the answers to "Does it provide that wow the plane is pflying above me!!!" factor???
post #237 of 245 Old 07-02-2020, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi guys, the SN9 and the others new bars are finally available in Switzerland ! But there is something strange. Here, it's not SN9YG, it's DSN9YG ! Does anyone know what's the D for ?

Is it a special edition ou a modified one by any chance ? I checked the page for France and Itali, it's SN while the page for Belgium or Switzerland are all DSN....
post #238 of 245 Old 07-06-2020, 08:08 PM

Liked: 12
Two questions for those who own LG SN11RG.

1. Do the rear speakers require a separate receiver? Or just a power outlet?
2. Is the dialogue clear during action scenes, or does the volume constantly have to be adjusted?
post #239 of 245 Old 07-07-2020, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoney805 View Post
Two questions for those who own LG SN11RG.

1. Do the rear speakers require a separate receiver? Or just a power outlet?
2. Is the dialogue clear during action scenes, or does the volume constantly have to be adjusted?
Each of the rear speakers plugs into a power outlet. Once plugged in, they immediately connect to the soundbar. I've only had the system for a week and haven't really watched any action heavy content yet. However, I haven't had any issues with clear dialogue in the content that I have watched (Legion and What We Do In the Shadows on Hulu, Our Planet on Netflix). Note, the system does allow for adjusting each of the speaker channel levels. I did initially adjust the center channel up a couple of notches.
amoney805 likes this.
post #240 of 245 Old 07-07-2020, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudd77 View Post
Each of the rear speakers plugs into a power outlet. Once plugged in, they immediately connect to the soundbar. I've only had the system for a week and haven't really watched any action heavy content yet. However, I haven't had any issues with clear dialogue in the content that I have watched (Legion and What We Do In the Shadows on Hulu, Our Planet on Netflix). Note, the system does allow for adjusting each of the speaker channel levels. I did initially adjust the center channel up a couple of notches.

Are the rear speaker levels able to be adjusted separately. Left and right

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 . pioneer lx500 uhd blu ray players
atv4k 2nd gen cube, roku ultra 2019
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-Q90R ZA soundbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
lg sn11rg

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version