Moving from Reciever+ hardwired 5.1 to soundbar and rear speakers? possible? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-07-2020, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Moving from Reciever+ hardwired 5.1 to soundbar and rear speakers? possible?

Hey guys

I am a soundbar noob and I am a bit overwhelmed and confused with the options and propriterty nature of soundbars.

I currently have a standard denon reciever and 5.1 setup that is your typical old school setup. each speaker has its own speaker cable to the reciever.

I want to get a soundbar for the front 3 channels and have the ability to use the rear in wall speakers for surround if possible. What are my options?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-07-2020, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 1
You'd have to ensure whatever system you got has speaker wire going to the rear speakers from the sub or wireless receiver (such as the rear speakers on my system have a separate wireless receiver that plugs into the power outlet, and has wires running from it to the rear speakers) and not just a power cable. But you also have to look into power ratings to see if it could handle whatever speakers you have.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-07-2020, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Corcoran View Post
Hey guys

I am a soundbar noob and I am a bit overwhelmed and confused with the options and propriterty nature of soundbars.

I currently have a standard denon reciever and 5.1 setup that is your typical old school setup. each speaker has its own speaker cable to the reciever.

I want to get a soundbar for the front 3 channels and have the ability to use the rear in wall speakers for surround if possible. What are my options?

Thanks in advance.
I went from an amazing SVS system in my old home to a much more minimalist Sonos set up in my new home so I've been through this.

With Sonos, you will need their amp to power the rear speakers which will still require you to use speaker wire. If you buy their Sonos One speakers then all you will need is plug for each rear speaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-08-2020, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Corcoran View Post
Your best bet there would be a passive soundbar. You can find some options with an internet search.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page