Soundbar vs receiver setup... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-09-2020, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Soundbar vs receiver setup...

So sometime in the next year I’d like to get some kind of surround sound system going. I’m currently just using a Vizio 2.1 bar and while it’s much better than using the tv speakers, it’s still not great. I have long been interested in the Atmos soundbars, but it just seems like they all seem to have issues when I browse the forums and read reviews. I’m usually all about clean design, and I’m pretty anti-punching holes in my walls and ceilings whenever possible. With that being said, we just had our 75” tv wall mounted last night by a company that also does audio installs. Off the top of his head he said probably $1700 to have them install a 5.1 system. That includes the receivers and speakers and for them to corner mount the speakers. We have 14’ tall ceilings so the speakers would be way up high pointing down toward the listeners. I forget the brand name of the receiver he stated, but it was a name brand. For the price, is something like this much better than a soundbar? Or have soundbars gotten good enough that if I really don’t want the extra holes punched in my wall, that it would be better to stick with a soundbar with wireless rears? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-09-2020, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post
So sometime in the next year I’d like to get some kind of surround sound system going. I’m currently just using a Vizio 2.1 bar and while it’s much better than using the tv speakers, it’s still not great. I have long been interested in the Atmos soundbars, but it just seems like they all seem to have issues when I browse the forums and read reviews. I’m usually all about clean design, and I’m pretty anti-punching holes in my walls and ceilings whenever possible. With that being said, we just had our 75” tv wall mounted last night by a company that also does audio installs. Off the top of his head he said probably $1700 to have them install a 5.1 system. That includes the receivers and speakers and for them to corner mount the speakers. We have 14’ tall ceilings so the speakers would be way up high pointing down toward the listeners. I forget the brand name of the receiver he stated, but it was a name brand. For the price, is something like this much better than a soundbar? Or have soundbars gotten good enough that if I really don’t want the extra holes punched in my wall, that it would be better to stick with a soundbar with wireless rears? Thanks.
If you're going the soundbar route, especially for Atmos, the type of room and ceiling you have will determine how well it will perform, it's definitely worth going for one that also has upfiring Atmos speakers on rear surrounds (sound bars that have wireless rear surrounds are definitely worth it), along with on top of the bar. Since the 2020s are coming out soon you may be able to get a 2019 soundbar like the Samsing HWQ90R at a discount. This has received great reviews for sound quality and has front and rear Atmos upfiring speakers.

Regarding the potential 5.1 system, what speakers and receiver were quoted?

Last edited by WkittySkittyLBoF; 01-09-2020 at 05:55 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-09-2020, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Can’t remember the brand to be honest, but it was a name brand I recognized
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-09-2020, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

My ceilings are 14’, but it does have popcorn ceiling so I’m not sure if that dampens Atmos performance or not
post #5 of 6 Old 01-14-2020, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
is relocation an option 14 feet your going to have to spend some money unless you want to get like a 5.1 SB obviously a good quality one
post #6 of 6 Old 01-15-2020, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post
My ceilings are 14’, but it does have popcorn ceiling so I’m not sure if that dampens Atmos performance or not
I have popcorn ceiling that slopes up from 8’ in front to 11’ in back. Also have an 8’x8’ skylight centered in the ceiling and 13’ high at the highest point.

My N950’s up firing Atmos fronts and rears work fine.

Nvidia Shield - Zidoo X9S - HTPC/MPC-HC
Oppo 203 - Samsung HW-N950 - 7.2.4
LG 86UH9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page