1Likes
  • 1 Post By 3Dhereicome

post #1 of 4 Old 01-12-2020, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Sony HS-ST5000 Cabling

Best Buy installed my new TV and soundbar earlier this week.
TV: Sony 85 X950G
Sounder: Sony ST-5000

Before the new TV and soundbar, I used to connect everything to the TV and then a optical cable to feed the audio to the soundbar. I read that the optical cable is not capable to handle the new audio formats like Dolby Vision and Atmos.

The way they connected the systems were to connect nVidia Shield 2019, Blu-Ray to the TV via HDMI. Then another HDMI from the TV (eARC) port to the soundbar HDMI ARC port.

Everything works. I read that there are 2 options for the cabling; one is this current way and a 2nd way is to connect the other components to the soundbar and then 1 HDMI to feed video to the TV

For my new systems, what is the better option for cabling for best audio?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-15-2020, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mis3 View Post
Best Buy installed my new TV and soundbar earlier this week.
TV: Sony 85 X950G
Sounder: Sony ST-5000

Before the new TV and soundbar, I used to connect everything to the TV and then a optical cable to feed the audio to the soundbar. I read that the optical cable is not capable to handle the new audio formats like Dolby Vision and Atmos.

The way they connected the systems were to connect nVidia Shield 2019, Blu-Ray to the TV via HDMI. Then another HDMI from the TV (eARC) port to the soundbar HDMI ARC port.

Everything works. I read that there are 2 options for the cabling; one is this current way and a 2nd way is to connect the other components to the soundbar and then 1 HDMI to feed video to the TV

For my new systems, what is the better option for cabling for best audio?
Both of your devices support eARC, so you may as well take advantage of that. The recommended method would be to run one HDMI cable from eARC to eARC between the TV and sound bar. And if you are using a 4K Blu-Ray player of any kind, run that directly into one of the sound bar inputs.

Spoiler!
post #3 of 4 Old 01-16-2020, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience View Post
Both of your devices support eARC, so you may as well take advantage of that. The recommended method would be to run one HDMI cable from eARC to eARC between the TV and sound bar. And if you are using a 4K Blu-Ray player of any kind, run that directly into one of the sound bar inputs.

Probably a stupid question.
In my current configuration where I connect all my devices to the TV, the TV feeds the audio to the soundbar via HDMI.
If I connect a device (Blu-Ray) directly to the soundbar, will the soundbar send the video to the TV; via the same HDMI eARC port?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-16-2020, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mis3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience View Post

Probably a stupid question.
In my current configuration where I connect all my devices to the TV, the TV feeds the audio to the soundbar via HDMI.
If I connect a device (Blu-Ray) directly to the soundbar, will the soundbar send the video to the TV; via the same HDMI eARC port?
Yes. That’s what ARC is, it’s “Audio return channel.” The HDMI carries both.
TheSonyExperience likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page