Why all the negativity toward Soundbars? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By 3Dhereicome
  • 3 Post By 3Dhereicome
  • 1 Post By T-Bone
  • 2 Post By MRAYB

post #1 of 26 Old 01-15-2020, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Why all the negativity toward Soundbars?

I posed in the speaker section about possibly getting a Bose 700 sound bar to replace my Martin Logan Motion 4 and Motion 8 center channel due to the lack of low's. My wife does not want a subwoofer in the living room. Almost EVERYONE is steering me away from a sound bar. Are they really that bad?

I was in Dallas over the holidays at my brothers house and thought is Sonos sound bar sounded great and provided good bass and he didn't have a sub. It had much better bass than my speakers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-15-2020, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 147
It’s like everything in life sadly. People stuck in their ways and their antiquated beliefs of things. Its no different if you go to a car forum you’re not a real man unless you buy a manual car even though the automatics are faster. You’ll find that everywhere on the internet unfortunately, soundbars are nothing like they used to be.

A culinary chef once told me, “wine is good if you think it’s good, regardless of how much it costs.”

If they sound good to you, who the hell cares about what anyone else thinks? I have an LG SJ9 from 2-3 years ago and people are WOWED when they hear it and it’s older now and soundbars have improved quite a bit since then. The new Klipsch has 1000 watts and surrounds with upfiring speakers and the new LG has 770 watts and the same style surround speakers.
jstang12 likes this.
post #3 of 26 Old 01-15-2020, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Also something to remember you’re talking to sound snobs here, they only like the best of everything. 99% of people think the soundbars sound fantastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 01-15-2020, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dhereicome View Post
Also something to remember you’re talking to sound snobs here, they only like the best of everything. 99% of people think the soundbars sound fantastic.
Great point. I can appreciate good sound as much as the next snob but my wife is more of the "can you turn it down" type so I rarely get to listen at full potential. I feel as if the sound bar is just a more practical, cleaner setup especially since the wife doesn't want a big sub in the living room.

Off to Best Buy I go to hear a few...

Last edited by jstang12; 01-15-2020 at 03:03 PM.
post #5 of 26 Old 01-15-2020, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstang12 View Post
Quote:
Also something to remember you’️re talking to sound snobs here, they only like the best of everything. 99% of people think the soundbars sound fantastic.
Great point. I can appreciate good sound as much as the next snob but my wife is more of the "can you turn it down" type so I rarely get to listen at full potential. I feel as if the sound bar is just a more practical, cleaner setup especially since the wife doesn't want a big sub in the living room.

Off to Best Buy I go to hear a few...
Good luck. The new bars won’t be out for a few months and they’re quite a bit more powerful so keep those in mind. My wife is the same way honestly. If I go above 14 on my soundbar she complains and it goes to like 30 something.
post #6 of 26 Old 01-16-2020, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 24
In my living room I have a Sonos Beam with the Sonos Sub (the sub is hidden under a lamp table) and I have absolutely no complaints about the sound. It is so easy to stream music to the Beam with my iPhone.

Now, down in my man cave I have a decent amp and speaker setup (primarily for music but also used for the TV). Does it sound better than the Beam & Sub? Yes, it does. Huge difference? No, not to me anyway.

I enjoy both systems because to me it is about the music. Life on this big blue marble is too short to spend time worrying or caring what other people think about your preference in sound systems.
post #7 of 26 Old 01-16-2020, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I posed in the speaker section about possibly getting a Bose 700 sound bar to replace my Martin Logan Motion 4 and Motion 8 center channel due to the lack of low's. My wife does not want a subwoofer in the living room. Almost EVERYONE is steering me away from a sound bar. Are they really that bad?

I was in Dallas over the holidays at my brothers house and thought is Sonos sound bar sounded great and provided good bass and he didn't have a sub. It had much better bass than my speakers!
well why all the negativity for $20 000 cars because their not as good as $50 0000 cars
you get what you pay for. to bad about your wife not wanting a sub because a sub really is essential. Just borrow a friends and put the gain/volume low enough to where your wife is ok with it and then maybe shell let u get one. and then when shes not home you can increase the gain/volume
post #8 of 26 Old 01-16-2020, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:

Best thing to do is test yourself and see if it sounds good to you. A full component system obviously has the potential to sound a lot better, but I just replaced my 5.1 system with the SL10YG + rear speaker kit and to be honest, there may be a slight decrease in what it can do in audio quality, but it still sounds really good, and my girlfriend is no longer harassing me about the wires and speakers everywhere lol. After using my new soundbar for a couple weeks to me it just sounds awesome and I don't feel like I'm missing anything anymore.
post #9 of 26 Old 01-16-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Also, most subwoofers that come with the systems are wireless, so you can put them wherever you want, hidden under a table or whatever. Sub does make a huge difference.
post #10 of 26 Old 01-16-2020, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I have the Samsung HW-MS750 soundbar, for about 2.5 years, and the companion 10 inch wireless sealed sub, and they both sound great. Together they cost around $700. My wife tells me to turn it down. When she isn't listening, I turn it back up.
post #11 of 26 Old 01-19-2020, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Sound bars are the epitome of compromise... The compromise being decent sound in a compact package that integrates the amplifiers in the soundbar.

All of the speakers sit underneath the flat panel. But if someone is off-screen talkin, you'll hear the sound as if it were coming from the screen. because there's no dedicated speaker that you can position beyond the left and right edges of the screen.

and now they're getting Fancy by throwing in Atmos speakers as upfiring to bounce off the ceiling. I've heard numerous reports where that technique is not as good as a dedicated speaker in the ceiling. Another compromise.

then you have to throw in the rear speakers if you want 5.1. although some soundbar State they'll do 5.1 virtual. Now that adds to the cost of the soundbar.

I'm purchasing a 75" flat panel for the family room and will eventually get a soundbar. it's a family room and I don't want to bother with dedicated speakers, and the receiver, speaker wires for a 5.1 solution, etc.

-T
post #12 of 26 Old 01-22-2020, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Sound bars are the epitome of compromise... The compromise being decent sound in a compact package that integrates the amplifiers in the soundbar.

All of the speakers sit underneath the flat panel. But if someone is off-screen talkin, you'll hear the sound as if it were coming from the screen. because there's no dedicated speaker that you can position beyond the left and right edges of the screen.

and now they're getting Fancy by throwing in Atmos speakers as upfiring to bounce off the ceiling. I've heard numerous reports where that technique is not as good as a dedicated speaker in the ceiling. Another compromise.

then you have to throw in the rear speakers if you want 5.1. although some soundbar State they'll do 5.1 virtual. Now that adds to the cost of the soundbar.

I'm purchasing a 75" flat panel for the family room and will eventually get a soundbar. it's a family room and I don't want to bother with dedicated speakers, and the receiver, speaker wires for a 5.1 solution, etc.

-T
Lol. This is ridiculous and it’s not a “compromise.” A compromise is going to the store and deciding to save $25 by buying the on-sale electric toothbrush over the one you were thinking of getting. A compromise isn’t buying a 1K soundbar vs an 6-8K fully equipped Atmos system. That’s like saying you wanted a Ferrari but you comprised and bought a Prius instead.

Are full systems better? Sure. Are they worth all the hassle? I mean, I guess if you’re a fanatic and you never plan on moving and you absolutely have to have that “significant” off screen talking... 😂

I think you’re misconstruing a “compromise” with a lack of caring. Most people don’t actually care enough to install a speaker system, I know I don’t.
post #13 of 26 Old 01-22-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:

-T
I agree, they are a compromise but it depends on the soundbar and the individual situation how much of a compromise it is. The SL10YG I have, is 60 inches wide, so the left and right channels are fairly far apart, I also sit only about 5 feet away from it so the sound stage ends up sounding very wide from this perspective. The upfiring Atmos speakers are not as good as in-ceiling speakers, of course, but I sit close and my ceiling is flat and low, I find the Atmos effect noticeable. I'd rather have this version of Atmos than none at all. I have rear wireless speakers as well. I know it's a faux 7.1.2 system but it is a real 5.1 system. I had a Polk Audio RM6750 system and this sounds just as good but it's a lot cleaner without all the wires. Actually it sounds better, because now I get Atmos effects on top of it.

And yes I know the Polk Audio RM6750 + 5.1 receiver is worth 1/2 the amount $ wise than this soundbar package for the same quality of audio but I got the soundbar for free so I'm not complaining lol.

Last edited by WkittySkittyLBoF; 01-22-2020 at 05:40 PM.
post #14 of 26 Old 01-22-2020, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

-T
Lol. This is ridiculous and it’s not a “compromise.” A compromise is going to the store and deciding to save $25 by buying the on-sale electric toothbrush over the one you were thinking of getting. A compromise isn’t buying a 1K soundbar vs an 6-8K fully equipped Atmos system. That’s like saying you wanted a Ferrari but you comprised and bought a Prius instead.

Are full systems better? Sure. Are they worth all the hassle? I mean, I guess if you’re a fanatic and you never plan on moving and you absolutely have to have that “significant” off screen talking... 😂

I think you’re misconstruing a “compromise” with a lack of caring. Most people don’t actually care enough to install a speaker system, I know I don’t.
No, I'm not misconstruing.

Compromise, per the definition:
accept standards that are lower than is desirable.

Desire, per the definition:
strongly wish for or want (something)

We don't put costs on desires. Virtually everyone here would want, for free, a 7.1.6 dedicated system installed in their room. Tell them the system is $10, they still buy it. Why? Because they desire it. We are on AVS forum after all.

tell them the system is $3,000 plus installation cost of running Atmos speakers in the ceiling, and their desire doesn't change. But now they compromise and accept something that is less desirable (albeit more cost effective).

A soundbar with Atmos is a compromise. spend less to get Atmos that doesn't really work as well as dedicated speakers. That's okay. It's a compromise. Settling for lower standards for lower cost... Or settling for lower standards for a simpler installation.

Anyway, I've said enough.

-T
DavAbq likes this.
post #15 of 26 Old 01-24-2020, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Soundbars are great!
As far as the snobs, I have a dedicated theater\multi-channel music room and a 2-channel LR system that kicks ass on what these nouveau snobs look down their nose at.
That's literally the 1st time I've ever posted anything like that but A\V snobbery pisses me off.
I have good friends who's systems are superior to mine. I love experiencing them.
I have what works for me and they have what works for them.
These guys never look down on anyone with lesser systems.

I have a LG OLED in my LR and I'm waiting for the 2020 soundbars before buying a new one to replace my Sony whatever it is.
It's a clean, simple solution for the vast majority of my viewing in that room.
I don't want a full fledged surround in my LR, my music system is pushing it and I've run conduit behind the drywall to keep that clutter at a minimum.

Look, any A\VPhile who has an open mind and makes their own best decisions for themselves are the smart ones.
ALL A\V systems are a calculated compromise
Don't ever let anyone get away with dissing you for liking Bose, a soundbar or whatever else.
Folks who genuinely want to help guide you from experience don't act that way

post #16 of 26 Old 01-25-2020, 03:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

I think much of the negativity comes from the complexities and problems people are experiencing with virtually every make of the immersive audio bars. Look at the hundreds of pages on the Nakamichi, virtually all full of problems and extremely complex attempts at problem solutions. Ridiculous resetting and upgrading routines which involve taking the thing off the wall every time. Thats not to single them out. Pick out any sound bar thread greater than 3.1 and read them. They are all filled with their problems and incompatibilities. I noticed the AVR threads weren’t about problems but rather people spending their time reaching for the next great addition to their audio experience. I then just gave up and recently moved to an AVR system. No problems. All of the audio types (DTS, DTS X, Dolby Atmos) all just work. The AVR just works with no complex reset routines, hdmi cable hunting etc. I found the sound difference is significant when you convert to an AVR discrete channel immersive setup from the simulated channels the sound bar manufacturers are calling “7.2.4”. Sound bars simply fail to live up to a simple, reliable solution. On the other hand, a 3.1 system can greatly and reliably enhance your audio as compared to a tv, and the simple simulated rear channels can enhance your experience. I don’t think there’s snobbery involved in suggesting AVR systems should be considered. People are asking for solutions to their problems with sound bars and in most cases complex immersive sound bars just seem to be lacking the software programmers the hardware is demanding, so you can’t get around it with a bar.
post #17 of 26 Old 01-25-2020, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 856
I use both in my main room. A Denon X4400H running a 7.4.4 setup with the 75" tv. Also a $75 used Samsung Ebay soundbar/sub for watching the news in the mornings or just checking something on Youtube. The real negativity is for the factory tv speakers. Soundbars have their place. Actually, I don't think I have even listened to the speakers on the TCL tv. Hooking up a soundbar to a new tv is just automatic to me. Would I listen to a cd with a couple friends over shooting pool on the soundbar?..no. Would I watch/listen to the news at 4 am with the Denon, two amps, Aircom fan, and four subs fired up?..._____no.
DavAbq and FrankKD like this.
post #18 of 26 Old 01-25-2020, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
Soundbars are great!
As far as the snobs, I have a dedicated theater\multi-channel music room and a 2-channel LR system that kicks ass on what these nouveau snobs look down their nose at.
That's literally the 1st time I've ever posted anything like that but A\V snobbery pisses me off.
I have good friends who's systems are superior to mine. I love experiencing them.
I have what works for me and they have what works for them.
These guys never look down on anyone with lesser systems.

I have a LG OLED in my LR and I'm waiting for the 2020 soundbars before buying a new one to replace my Sony whatever it is.
It's a clean, simple solution for the vast majority of my viewing in that room.
I don't want a full fledged surround in my LR, my music system is pushing it and I've run conduit behind the drywall to keep that clutter at a minimum.

Look, any A\VPhile who has an open mind and makes their own best decisions for themselves are the smart ones.
ALL A\V systems are a calculated compromise
Don't ever let anyone get away with dissing you for liking Bose, a soundbar or whatever else.
Folks who genuinely want to help guide you from experience don't act that way
Exactly. People choose what works for them, it’s not settling and it’s not compromising, at least not in my case. I don’t want to install ceiling speakers or buy Atmos surround speakers. Everyone acts like an AVR is the best thing ever and it’s comparable in price to what you get from the soundbar. 7.2 and 9.2 AVRs run like $1200+ it’s obscene and that doesn’t include any of the speakers you’ll need. I’m still on an SJ9 and I still think it’s fantastic, it’s perfect for my mid-sized living room.
post #19 of 26 Old 01-25-2020, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, first post in a long, long time. I recently upgraded to the Samsung Q80R Soundbar and the optional 9000s wirelesss rears and a 55" TCL 6 series QLED display. I am blown away with the performance of these components.
post #20 of 26 Old 01-25-2020, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Soundbars are great. Wired whole systems are great. It all depends on each persons situation and preference. Soundbars have come a long way. Sometimes people act like they are 2 cups and a string.
post #21 of 26 Old 01-25-2020, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitechicguy View Post
Soundbars are great. Wired whole systems are great. It all depends on each persons situation and preference. Soundbars have come a long way. Sometimes people act like they are 2 cups and a string.

It’s the internet, that’s what people do. Ignorance takes on new levels of stupidity on the internet, unfortunately. Things change, but everyone has an opinion based off lifetime stigmas.
post #22 of 26 Old 01-25-2020, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Soundbars have come a long way. Sometimes people act like they are 2 cups and a string.
The newest ones have 12 cups and 4 of them are overhead

A friend of mine upgraded his Denon AVR to a newer Denon Atmos AVR after hearing my sound bar setup.

Nvidia Shield - Zidoo X9S - HTPC/MPC-HC
Oppo 203 - Samsung HW-N950 - 7.2.4
LG 86UH9500
post #23 of 26 Old 01-26-2020, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
I use both in my main room. A Denon X4400H running a 7.4.4 setup with the 75" tv. Also a $75 used Samsung Ebay soundbar/sub for watching the news in the mornings or just checking something on Youtube. The real negativity is for the factory tv speakers. Soundbars have their place. Actually, I don't think I have even listened to the speakers on the TCL tv. Hooking up a soundbar to a new tv is just automatic to me. Would I listen to a cd with a couple friends over shooting pool on the soundbar?..no. Would I watch/listen to the news at 4 am with the Denon, two amps, Aircom fan, and four subs fired up?..._____no.
You are so right. My immersive bar got me interested in immersive audio for the same reasons as everyone.... simplicity, wifes wire hatred and movie sound. But it was horrible on music. Then I noticed there were no real highs. I went to our local 3D and Imax screens and realized something was wrong, there were no real highs there either. Then I came across another thread on these forums about “best bass movies”. His measurements and graphs show what I came to suspect: average bass of a movie soundtrack is up 15 db reference 1khz. Thats what gives you the punch, and of course thats what bars are made to enhance. But its not a way to listen to music or necessary for watching Big Bang, but its better than the tv speakers and does give you the 5.1 surround.
post #24 of 26 Old 01-26-2020, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

It’s the internet, that’s what people do. Ignorance takes on new levels of stupidity on the internet, unfortunately. Things change, but everyone has an opinion based off lifetime stigmas.
Just so we are all clear, are you in that group of people that exhibit ignorance that takes on all new levels of stupidity on the internet? Do you also have opinions that are based on lifetime stigmas?

just trying to make sure we understand so the next time we read your posts, we will be able to gauge their validity 🙂

-T
post #25 of 26 Old 01-26-2020, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

I’m curious to see where soundbars go from here honestly. Samsung’s is rumored to be doing 4 surrounds. Klipsch is a high end brand and I’m really intrigued with them and LG because they both include upfiring rears now too.

Last edited by 3Dhereicome; 01-26-2020 at 08:11 AM.
post #26 of 26 Old 01-26-2020, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Duplicate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page