Never had a soundbar, but now...HELP. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-24-2020, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
brianlvi3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Never had a soundbar, but now...HELP.

Hey guys,

I have never owned a soundbar. I moved and have the need for one now for my 65 inch Sony. I only want a bar and sub. Nothing else. The room is not big and I am not looking for home theater sound as I have a dedicated room for that. Just looking to have something better then the stock TV sound I have now. I do have the wireless Sony sub right now with the TV's sound. It is the Sony with the ugly speakers on the side .

Anyway I am looking to head over to BB and find something in stock for around $400 or less, less is better.

Just wanted to know where to start and maybe some suggestions. Samsung, LG, Sony, Sonos? Looking for something that I can install easy. I just run an Oppo 203 off this set up, nothing else.

Thanks!!

Brian

Brian
brianlvi3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 01-24-2020, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
brianlvi3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I was looking at maybe the Samsung HW Q60R or the Sonos Beam 1US1, Sony HTX900F.

LG SL6Y.

Samsung HWMS650

Brian
brianlvi3 is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 01-24-2020, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
brianlvi3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just went on the BB web site, wow. Never realized the amount of soundbars out there. I see a ton on sale also in the $400 range.

Now I really need some direction please.

Brian
brianlvi3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 01-24-2020, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
3Dhereicome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 799
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlvi3 View Post
Just went on the BB web site, wow. Never realized the amount of soundbars out there. I see a ton on sale also in the $400 range.

Now I really need some direction please.
Honestly, just go listen to them and see how you feel about how they sound. You’ll get a bunch of recommendations here from people who have their own preferences. Best to hear what they have and pick a few you think sound good and then if you need help it’s easier to differentiate between a few of your choices.
3Dhereicome is online now  
post #5 of 8 Old 01-24-2020, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
brianlvi3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dhereicome View Post
Honestly, just go listen to them and see how you feel about how they sound. You’ll get a bunch of recommendations here from people who have their own preferences. Best to hear what they have and pick a few you think sound good and then if you need help it’s easier to differentiate between a few of your choices.
I sure plan to do that but wanted to get a head start. Also BB doesn't have many on display compared to the inventory they carry.

They have around 60 sound bars in stock and way less then half I could listen to.

Thanks

Brian
brianlvi3 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 01-28-2020, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tonydeluce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlvi3 View Post
Hey guys,



I have never owned a soundbar. I moved and have the need for one now for my 65 inch Sony. I only want a bar and sub. Nothing else. The room is not big and I am not looking for home theater sound as I have a dedicated room for that. Just looking to have something better then the stock TV sound I have now. I do have the wireless Sony sub right now with the TV's sound. It is the Sony with the ugly speakers on the side .



Anyway I am looking to head over to BB and find something in stock for around $400 or less, less is better.



Just wanted to know where to start and maybe some suggestions. Samsung, LG, Sony, Sonos? Looking for something that I can install easy. I just run an Oppo 203 off this set up, nothing else.



Thanks!!



Brian
I bought the Sony HT-X9000F a couple weeks ago and never realized soundbars can create a soundfield like they do.

Coming from a home with dedicated HT ( with 2 dedicated 20A circuits to feed 600 watt per channel 3 channel amp) for Polk Audio LSi15s and matching center with decent amps and rear speakers.

Ex and her daughter moved out so downsized for time being to a relatively small 1 bedroom apartment.

This Sony soundbar cannot compete with a high end separates system BUT I cannot get over how much sound (and enjoyment) I am getting from this soundbar!

I would highly recomnend giving it a try in your small room.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-65A8G OLED 65 Inch TV
Panasonic DP-UB820 UltraHD Premium Blu-ray Player
Sony HT-X9000F 2.1ch Dolby Atmos Sound Bar and Subwoofer
tonydeluce is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 01-28-2020, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
brianlvi3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce View Post
I bought the Sony HT-X9000F a couple weeks ago and never realized soundbars can create a soundfield like they do.

Coming from a home with dedicated HT ( with 2 dedicated 20A circuits to feed 600 watt per channel 3 channel amp) for Polk Audio LSi15s and matching center with decent amps and rear speakers.

Ex and her daughter moved out so downsized for time being to a relatively small 1 bedroom apartment.

This Sony soundbar cannot compete with a high end separates system BUT I cannot get over how much sound (and enjoyment) I am getting from this soundbar!

I would highly recomnend giving it a try in your small room.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Hey Tony,

I went out next day and purchased the exact same one hah. I I am a bit disappointed, even though it is on my main home theater set up. Although i have not had a chance to play around with it. I have only one HDMI cable running out from ARC on the Sony TV to the bar. Cable box and bluray still to the TV. When I turn on the TV, no sound. I have to cycle on/off the bar. Then sound kicks in. I am going to go into the menu soon to play around with the settings.

Thanks.

Brian
brianlvi3 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 01-28-2020, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tonydeluce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlvi3 View Post
Hey Tony,

I went out next day and purchased the exact same one hah. I I am a bit disappointed, even though it is on my main home theater set up. Although i have not had a chance to play around with it. I have only one HDMI cable running out from ARC on the Sony TV to the bar. Cable box and bluray still to the TV. When I turn on the TV, no sound. I have to cycle on/off the bar. Then sound kicks in. I am going to go into the menu soon to play around with the settings.

Thanks.
If you connect your cable box OR bluray player to the additional HDMI input you will be able to utilize the On Screen Display of the soundbar.

Make sure you hit 'HDMI' instead of TV on the OSD option if you want sound from whatever you plugged into the HDMI input and hit 'TV' if you want sound from your TV to reach the soundbar.

Sony XBR-65A8G OLED 65 Inch TV
Panasonic DP-UB820 UltraHD Premium Blu-ray Player
Sony HT-X9000F 2.1ch Dolby Atmos Sound Bar and Subwoofer
tonydeluce is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Soundbars

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off