JBL Bar 9.1 Dolby Atmos True Wireless Surround Sound Sound Bar - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #31 of 52 Old 04-29-2020, 03:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb1115 View Post

2) Dolby Atmos soundtracks seem to have a heavy dose of dynamic compression. Gunshots, explosions, and other loud things are sounding just as loud as dialogue. I tested this with an iTunes rental of The Gentlemen and a UHD Blu-Ray of John Wick. But as for non-Atmos soundtracks, the dynamic range seems fine. I tested the Dunkirk UHD Blu-Ray which is DTS:X and that seemed to be pretty dynamic.

Setup - Apple TV 4K and LG 4K Blu-Ray Player --> LG B8 65" --> JBL Bar 9.1
What do you see displayed on the soundbar when playing a Blu-Ray with a DTS:X soundtrack? There have been reports that the bar displays "DTS Neural:X" when playing DTS:X audio. It would be nice to know if you see this and if the audio has been reprocessed or the display is wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 04-29-2020, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 563
As far as eARC, Atmos, DTS:X etc., doesn't the 9.1 come with an instruction manual that outlines the capabilities & the optimum way to connect the inputs?

post #33 of 52 Old 04-29-2020, 07:33 AM

hi all

for the guys that purchased this unit and used it for a few days, i just want to check how are is the mid range on this unit as the 5.1 before had almost no mid range action. Has it been improved or is it better or still dull. That was my only gripe against the 5.1
thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 Old 04-29-2020, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
How are you measuring this compression?

Bitstream DTS/Dolby should be the exact same as PCM if the source of the audio is the same. Bitstream gets unpacked from the container and decoded to PCM at the last step before it's sent to a speaker. If you decode the audio on the disc player, then the soundbar will get PCM. If you passthrough the bitstream from the disc player to the soundbar, then the soundbar will decode the bitstream to PCM before sending the sound to the speakers.
I'm not actually able to measure the compression, unfortunately. I'd need an SPL meter for that. But it's a very perceivable difference. Basically if I force the Blu-ray player to PCM the dialogue will play at one level and the gunshots will be a significant amount louder. If I allow bitstream passthrough and the bar recognizes Atmos, those two elements will play at about the same volume level.

As for the DTS question, when I put in the Blu-Ray of Dunkirk, the LED on the bar reads "DTS-HD Neural X."
andyman2 likes this.
post #35 of 52 Old 04-29-2020, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi guys,

Ran into a few issues since getting my bar set up the other day:

First one being - sometimes getting a weird static Pop/crackle noise (think if you've plugged a live cable into a jack and you get that pop sound) for a split second sometimes when for example a programme's sound ends and then transitions into another episode.

This is the main issue I'm getting with my C9 + JBL Bar 9.1 + Xbox One X - Basically losing sound when playing HDR GAME content and returning to the dashboard.

so this is the bar running to my LG C9 via eARC, Xbox one X direct to TV with tv set to passthrough and eARC turned on. Instant game mode I've tried on and off that doesn't stop the issue. It appears to be only affecting Xbox one games with HDR then when you return to dash you lose the sound and as on the video sometimes it will return other times you need to power down the bar and up again.

As as test I've run my Xbox one X direct to the soundbar and this issue doesn't happen so there is an issue somewhere when the Xbox is going via HDMI on the LG C9. HOWEVER - if you plug Xbox one x direct to the soundbar you lose VRR /120hz settings on xbox one x settings (guessing bar doesn't Support it) and you also lose instant game response on the TV.

would appreciate anyone using this bar and Xbox one X or S to see if they get this issue on HDR games with instant game response and deep colour enabled on the C9.

Also tried a full TV reset and Xbox One X reset to no avail.

Thanks!
post #36 of 52 Old 04-29-2020, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce View Post
I have been strongly considering this system though I ended up pulling the trigger on the LG SL10YG a week or so ago which I happen to be very happy with. Agreed the subwoofer would likely not be enough in a large room but the system is in a relatively small room and sounds great.

I have about another five weeks to return if I ended up going with the JBL. I would be very interested in hearing comparisons from anyone that receives this bar in the next three weeks or so coming from the SL10YG or last year's equivalent...
I have this, make sure you get the SPK8-S rear speaker kit, makes a world of difference in surround the performance.
post #37 of 52 Old 04-29-2020, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by WkittySkittyLBoF View Post
I have this, make sure you get the SPK8-S rear speaker kit, makes a world of difference in surround the performance.

Thank you - I do have the SPK8-S rear speaker kit - definitely worth the additional cash..

Sony XBR-65A8G 65 inch Bravia OLED 4K TV
Panasonic DP-UB820 UltraHD Premium Blu-ray Player * 2019 Nvidia Shield TV
LG SL10YG 7.1.2 Channel Soundbar + Rear Speaker kit w/Meridian Technology & Dolby Atmos / DTS:X

Last edited by tonydeluce; 04-29-2020 at 03:52 PM.
post #38 of 52 Old 04-29-2020, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikecast View Post
Hi guys,

Ran into a few issues since getting my bar set up the other day:

First one being - sometimes getting a weird static Pop/crackle noise (think if you've plugged a live cable into a jack and you get that pop sound) for a split second sometimes when for example a programme's sound ends and then transitions into another episode.

This is the main issue I'm getting with my C9 + JBL Bar 9.1 + Xbox One X - Basically losing sound when playing HDR GAME content and returning to the dashboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffDNGjCrgck

so this is the bar running to my LG C9 via eARC, Xbox one X direct to TV with tv set to passthrough and eARC turned on. Instant game mode I've tried on and off that doesn't stop the issue. It appears to be only affecting Xbox one games with HDR then when you return to dash you lose the sound and as on the video sometimes it will return other times you need to power down the bar and up again.

As as test I've run my Xbox one X direct to the soundbar and this issue doesn't happen so there is an issue somewhere when the Xbox is going via HDMI on the LG C9. HOWEVER - if you plug Xbox one x direct to the soundbar you lose VRR /120hz settings on xbox one x settings (guessing bar doesn't Support it) and you also lose instant game response on the TV.

would appreciate anyone using this bar and Xbox one X or S to see if they get this issue on HDR games with instant game response and deep colour enabled on the C9.

Also tried a full TV reset and Xbox One X reset to no avail.

Thanks!

Try a different cable. Does your HDMI cable have ethernet support?

What sound mode is your Xbox set to? Dolby or DTS? Try both to see if it makes a difference.

OLED65C9PUA, NVIDIA SHIELD TV Pro, Xbox One X, B&O Beosound Stage, BDI 8179
post #39 of 52 Old 04-30-2020, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
Try a different cable. Does your HDMI cable have ethernet support?

What sound mode is your Xbox set to? Dolby or DTS? Try both to see if it makes a difference.
Hi there,

Tried 2 x brand new premium certified cables that support Ethernet for both Xbox One and SB, as well as the included cable that came with the bar.

Another user with an LG B9 has also replicated the same issue with his Xbox One over on avforums. Another user today has just replied stating he's having the same issues with his PS4 however he is using a Philips TV so there must be an issue somewhere with the bar. Xbox One set to Dolby Atmos and Bitstream (correct settings).

Can anyone else with a similar set up try and replicate the issue in my video?

I've passed this onto JBL to investigate hopefully!
post #40 of 52 Old 04-30-2020, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb1115 View Post
Dolby Atmos soundtracks seem to have a heavy dose of dynamic compression. Gunshots, explosions, and other loud things are sounding just as loud as dialogue.
Check if Night Mode is enabled (the sound setting, not to be confused with display dimming).

I have the JBL Bar 5.1 and have found that this is very easy to miss.
post #41 of 52 Old 04-30-2020, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappybird View Post
Check if Night Mode is enabled (the sound setting, not to be confused with display dimming).

I have the JBL Bar 5.1 and have found that this is very easy to miss.
So strangely, the JBL Bar 9.1 doesn't have a documented night mode. I certainly thought this was the issue because it's doing exactly what night mode is intended to do. However, I did find on another forum from another owner that it does have a night mode toggle hidden by holding down a few buttons. But I noticed no difference between turning it on and off.

I spoke with JBL support yesterday and they said that it may be a problem that will be fixed in a future firmware update. They also told me to return the unit, partially because it's apparently not out in the US yet and they're not sure how the retailer got the unit.
post #42 of 52 Old 04-30-2020, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Surprise.
I pre-ordered the 9.1 from B&H Photo when it 1st was up on their website.
I didn't expect anything to happen for a while but just got an email saying it has shipped.
Very cool. Hope it works out.
Lots of possibilities I think.
I've been looking for a soundbar for a very long time it seems and none of the ones I wanted to pay for
checked enough of my boxes until this one.

post #43 of 52 Old 05-03-2020, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So no one has any updates on their satisfaction with this?
Kind of typical after the initial use.
I'll take it as good news as happy users don't bother & unhappy users bitch to high heaven
Mine is scheduled to arrive Monday 5/4.
I will post my follow up impressions after installation in a couple weeks
iatacs19 likes this.

post #44 of 52 Old 05-04-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
I'll take it as good news as happy users don't bother & unhappy users bitch to high heaven

Hi there,

Had mine over week and generally very happy bar the above which I mentioned. Sound drop outs on Xbox One mainly when going from HDR back to dashboard causes the sound to drop. Also when using Sky TV App I've noticed the bar just totally lose sound and has to be turned on and off or press hdmi input on the remote back to TV will also fix it. Only other issue is the odd popping sound when changing sources etc. Hopefully a FW update will fix these issues but apart from that I'm happy.
post #45 of 52 Old 05-04-2020, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks.
Just received mine today.
Won't be able to connect\configure for a couple weeks.
Sub is a beast!

post #46 of 52 Old 05-04-2020, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikecast View Post
Quote:
I'll take it as good news as happy users don't bother & unhappy users bitch to high heaven [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
Mine is scheduled to arrive Monday 5/4. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Hi there,

Had mine over week and generally very happy bar the above which I mentioned. Sound drop outs on Xbox One mainly when going from HDR back to dashboard causes the sound to drop. Also when using Sky TV App I've noticed the bar just totally lose sound and has to be turned on and off or press hdmi input on the remote back to TV will also fix it. Only other issue is the odd popping sound when changing sources etc. Hopefully a FW update will fix these issues but apart from that I'm happy.
Quote:
Quote:
I'll take it as good news as happy users don't bother & unhappy users bitch to high heaven [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
Mine is scheduled to arrive Monday 5/4. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Thanks.
Just received mine today.
Won't be able to connect\configure for a couple weeks.
Sub is a beast!
Is the center channel nice and clear and loud for you?
post #47 of 52 Old 05-05-2020, 03:25 AM

Had this a few days...ATMOS woes

Just a bit of info on thios bar...

After 2 days with it connected to the new Samsung Q80T (65") I haven't had much luck getting any ATMOS content from any source (NETFLIX/SKY Q/PRIME)

I am unable to check the dolby atmos box on the TV (under sound settings) despite having it connected eARC to eARC..seems the TV doesn't recognise the JBL as ATMOS
When going directly from source (e.g. Sky Q into soundbar HDMI and then onto TV via eARC) I still don't get any ATMOS content playing - just DOLBY SURROUND on the bar.

Samsung were no help - just said TV is 5.1 and that any pass through issues would be likely to do with the soundbar not being recognised - I am still awaiting a response from JBL.

Powerful punchy sound but only dolby surround, PCM or neural X at present
post #48 of 52 Old 05-06-2020, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Allen View Post
Just a bit of info on thios bar...

After 2 days with it connected to the new Samsung Q80T (65") I haven't had much luck getting any ATMOS content from any source (NETFLIX/SKY Q/PRIME)

I am unable to check the dolby atmos box on the TV (under sound settings) despite having it connected eARC to eARC..seems the TV doesn't recognise the JBL as ATMOS
When going directly from source (e.g. Sky Q into soundbar HDMI and then onto TV via eARC) I still don't get any ATMOS content playing - just DOLBY SURROUND on the bar.

Samsung were no help - just said TV is 5.1 and that any pass through issues would be likely to do with the soundbar not being recognised - I am still awaiting a response from JBL.

Powerful punchy sound but only dolby surround, PCM or neural X at present
**UPDATE** - managed to finally get an ATMOS signal through to the soundbar (actually scrolls DOLBY ATMOS on the display) using an Xbox One. Was able to enjoy a 4K blu-ray and a Netflix ATMOS track (Bright). However still no joy with other ipout devices and had to plug the xbox into the HDMI in on the bar..seems a few bugs / firmware issues to be ironed out with eARC (perhaps on both TV and/or soundbar)
post #49 of 52 Old 05-12-2020, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi,
How does Jbl9.1 compare to Q90R ?
razcan likes this.
post #50 of 52 Old 05-12-2020, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 45
looks enticing...good price point...however, disappointed in only 1 HDMI input....I'd like to be able to get Atmos out of both a 4K player as well as an Apple TV, and my Sony 900F doesn't have eARC. So I'm probably ultimately looking for a bar with at least two inputs minimum. The Nakamichi has a good amount of inputs, but I don't like the idea of "virtual" atmos....and I'm not stocked about the looks of the Nakamichi either. The search continues....
Maybe the Vizio Elevate....
post #51 of 52 Old 05-18-2020, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Considering the Arc + sub + rears for home theater use. But also considering the JBL 9.1 with detachable speakers (fewer wires). Anyone have experience with Sonos sound bars (beam, playbar)? How does Sonos sound quality compare to JBL? Looking for audio quality insight - JBL vs Sonos, I realize the 2 setups differentiate in this case... different speaker configurations.
post #52 of 52 Old 05-19-2020, 09:29 AM

My tv is samsung 70ru7200 that is not atmos support.
I dont know it has eARC or not (probably not) but it has apple tv buit in.
If I watch atmos source from apple tv or netflix , it will passthrough atmos to the soundbar or not.
If not , I have to buy hw-q80r instread because I don't want to setup wire for rear speaker.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page