JBL Bar 9.1 Dolby Atmos True Wireless Surround Sound Sound Bar - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #1 of 52 Old 04-18-2020, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 31
JBL Bar 9.1 Dolby Atmos True Wireless Surround Sound Sound Bar

https://www.jbl.com/home-audio/JBL+B...-audio#start=1

Looks like this is up for pre-oder now. Anyone thinking about getting this one?
iatacs19 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 04-19-2020, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Preordered through the Harmin site. So far, I’ve good things
post #3 of 52 Old 04-19-2020, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeOfTheWyles View Post
Preordered through the Harmin site. So far, I’ve good things
I've been debating bout it. I have the LGSKY10y and the center is so low on it. I really am interested in how this one is and the way the wireless speakers works interests me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 04-19-2020, 08:39 PM

It’s out in the UK. From what I can gather from another forum it handles Atmos content very well and the rear speakers add a lot. It sounds pretty simple to calibrate. There’s seems to be some bugs to work out, but so far they seem minor.
post #5 of 52 Old 04-20-2020, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I have been strongly considering this system though I ended up pulling the trigger on the LG SL10YG a week or so ago which I happen to be very happy with. Agreed the subwoofer would likely not be enough in a large room but the system is in a relatively small room and sounds great.

I have about another five weeks to return if I ended up going with the JBL. I would be very interested in hearing comparisons from anyone that receives this bar in the next three weeks or so coming from the SL10YG or last year's equivalent...

Sony XBR-65A8G 65 inch Bravia OLED 4K TV
Panasonic DP-UB820 UltraHD Premium Blu-ray Player * 2019 Nvidia Shield TV
LG SL10YG 7.1.2 Channel Soundbar + Rear Speaker kit w/Meridian Technology & Dolby Atmos / DTS:X
post #6 of 52 Old 04-20-2020, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hopefully get mine this week, returning my HT-ZF9 due to rears dropping sound, I'm in the UK btw.
post #7 of 52 Old 04-22-2020, 12:30 PM

My JBL Bar 9.1 is due friday, will post some impressions once its up and running!
post #8 of 52 Old 04-22-2020, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just received and setup the soundbar. Have everything working but have not had an opportunity to test extensively. Paired with an LG C9. Based in the US so I'm excited to have gotten it so early.

A Few Questions

1. I have an Xbox One, PS4, 4k Blu-ray Player, and Chromecast. The soundbar is connected to the eARC port on the TV and I have the Blu-ray player connected to the HDMI In on the soundbar. The other items are connected to the remaining HDMI ports on the television. It's my understanding that this is the "correct" setup since both the television and soundbar have eARC. Am I misunderstanding anything? Would a different setup make more sense?

2. I noticed audio type pops up when changing sources For example, when navigating to the Netflix app, "Dolby Atmos" pops up on the soundbar but not the tc. Any way to bring up the audio type on command? For example, a button one can press to verify Atmos is the audio type.

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200422_103050.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2714260   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	993.9 KB
ID:	2714262   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	741.4 KB
ID:	2714264   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2714266   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	988.4 KB
ID:	2714268  

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	828.8 KB
ID:	2714270   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2714272   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2714274   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	1,022.5 KB
ID:	2714276   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2714278  

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2714280   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	1,001.3 KB
ID:	2714282   Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	988.0 KB
ID:	2714284   Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2714286  
suitechicguy and iatacs19 like this.

Last edited by posterus; 04-22-2020 at 01:42 PM.
post #9 of 52 Old 04-22-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posterus View Post
Just received and setup the soundbar. Have everything working but have not had an opportunity to test extensively. Paired with an LG C9. Based in the US so I'm excited to have gotten it so early.

A Few Questions

1. I have an Xbox One, PS4, 4k Blu-ray Player, and Chromecast. The soundbar is connected to the eARC port on the TV and I have the Blu-ray player connected to the HDMI In on the soundbar. The other items are connected to the remaining HDMI ports on the television. It's my understanding that this is the "correct" setup since both the television and soundbar have eARC. Am I misunderstanding anything? Would a different setup make more sense?

2. I noticed audio type pops up when changing sources For example, when navigating to the Netflix app, "Dolby Atmos" pops up on the soundbar but not the tc. Any way to bring up the audio type on command? For example, a button one can press to verify Atmos is the audio type.

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers
Re point 1: yeah as the C9 has eArc it will route the sound to the SB so that's correct
posterus likes this.
post #10 of 52 Old 04-23-2020, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
How is this soundbar? I’m thinking about getting this or waiting for the new LG.
post #11 of 52 Old 04-23-2020, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

A Few Questions

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers

That looks really nice. Did you test out any Atmos tracks yet? Did it feel like a good Atmos experience?
post #12 of 52 Old 04-23-2020, 04:38 PM

Thumbs up Quick Review

@Ruckdogg7 @suitechicguy

For context this is my first soundbar/external speaker system. Prior to the JBL 9.1 I’ve always relied on the tv speakers (so my opinion may be a bit skewed). I’m also nowhere near an audiophile.

That being said, this thing sounds f****** amazing. I watched the battle scenes from Hacksaw Ridge and was totally immersed.

Music sounds really good too. Shocked at how much of a beast the subwoofer can be. When cranked all the way up it adds a lot of boom.

Netflix is great as well. Dialogue is crisp and no there's no lag. Even upscaled content delivers. Cannot believe I waited this long to get external speakers smh. Have not tried any Atmos games yet.

The detachable speakers are super convenient. Love not having to worry about any wires. Hopefully other manufacturers adopt this style.

Overall extremely happy with the purchase. My critiques (nothing major)
  • Lack of OSD
  • No app
  • No info button to display current audio type

Here’s my 4K UHD collection.

Looking forward to rewatching these with this soundbar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200423_161353.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2715298  
post #13 of 52 Old 04-23-2020, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I don't understand the detachable speakers, are they part of the main soundbar or are they used for rear channel? Very interesting product!

OLED65C9PUA, NVIDIA SHIELD TV Pro, Xbox One X, B&O Beosound Stage, BDI 8179
post #14 of 52 Old 04-23-2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
I don't understand the detachable speakers, are they part of the main soundbar or are they used for rear channel? Very interesting product!
Both. They attach to the main soundbar via magnets. You can listen to audio this way.

However, their main purpose is to act as satellite rear speakers.
iatacs19 likes this.
post #15 of 52 Old 04-23-2020, 11:17 PM

Video Review: JBL Bar 9.1 Soundbar with Dolby Atmos

Sharing Video Review from World Wide Stereo.

post #16 of 52 Old 04-24-2020, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
@Ruckdogg7 @suitechicguy

For context this is my first soundbar/external speaker system. Prior to the JBL 9.1 I’ve always relied on the tv speakers (so my opinion may be a bit skewed). I’m also nowhere near an audiophile.

That being said, this thing sounds f****** amazing. I watched the battle scenes from Hacksaw Ridge and was totally immersed.

Music sounds really good too. Shocked at how much of a beast the subwoofer can be. When cranked all the way up it adds a lot of boom.

Netflix is great as well. Dialogue is crisp and no there's no lag. Even upscaled content delivers. Cannot believe I waited this long to get external speakers smh. Have not tried any Atmos games yet.

The detachable speakers are super convenient. Love not having to worry about any wires. Hopefully other manufacturers adopt this style.

Overall extremely happy with the purchase. My critiques (nothing major)
  • Lack of OSD
  • No app
  • No info button to display current audio type

Here’s my 4K UHD collection.

Looking forward to rewatching these with this soundbar.
Thank you so much for the information and posting the review. Is the center channel with the dialogue really nice and clear? I currently have the LGSKY10 and the center is pretty low and when there is a lot of action going on it muffles itself for some reason. Does this one get muffled like that or its clear all the time?

Thanks so much for any information.
post #17 of 52 Old 04-24-2020, 09:03 AM

I received mine yesterday. I think the center sounds great. Overall I’ve been pretty happy so far. I’m also new to having a SoundBar so no real experiences to compare to. Will run it through more media. I’m currently trying To find a good place to put the rears as the back of the couch hasn’t worked like I’d hoped
post #18 of 52 Old 04-26-2020, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 560
So are you guys getting this soundbar in the UK?
You don't have a location in your profile and do not mention it in posts.
I'm looking strongly at this Soundbar.
Suppose to be released soon in the US.
Did you read a review yet?
Link please?

post #19 of 52 Old 04-27-2020, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

https://www.jbl.com/soundbars/JBL+BA...ack-US-Current

Says it will go on sale in the USA on Tue Aug 25 2020.

post #20 of 52 Old 04-27-2020, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Theres a couple more reviews.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/sound-...bar-91-review/

https://www.techhive.com/article/354...ar-review.html

One says that the center was a little low and the other said it was fine. If a couple more come out saying that the center is good I might jump on this. It is neat that you can power the rears if you really wanted to. I do wish it had a companion app though.
post #21 of 52 Old 04-27-2020, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ordered mine yesterday from jbl uk, they are doing a deal at the moment ,if you buy 2 items from their site you can use discount code jblspring & get 15% off combined products. i ordered the cheapest item on their site + soundbar & got both items for Around £850 after discount. Hopefully the jbl 9.1 will be a good upgrade from my ysp 2200, was a toss up between this & the samsung q90r hope i've made right choice
post #22 of 52 Old 04-28-2020, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Hopefully it works out well for those purchasing, but I don't see the appeal at all in constantly moving the rear speakers to recharge them.
post #23 of 52 Old 04-28-2020, 07:39 AM

Liked: 1
So I actually just received mine in the US yesterday. It looks like some retailers have them already. I was able to snag one on Amazon but it seems like they're sold out now.

I set it up last night and watched my first Dolby Atmos film on it. Initial reactions:

1) The default sound setting is "Smart Mode." This setting is insane sounding. It pumps up the rears so basically every sound effect is coming out of every speaker all the time. I've started to refer to it as "Sound Smoothing" because it's basically motion smoothing for your ears.

Thankfully you can turn this off on the remote. Unfortunately, it defaults to "Smart Mode" every time the bar is turned back on. So it's a hassle to turn it off literally every time you watch something. I hope they fix this in a software update, but I don't have my hopes up as it seems to be the same case with the newer JBL "Bar 2.1 Deep Bass."

2) Dolby Atmos soundtracks seem to have a heavy dose of dynamic compression. Gunshots, explosions, and other loud things are sounding just as loud as dialogue. I tested this with an iTunes rental of The Gentlemen and a UHD Blu-Ray of John Wick. But as for non-Atmos soundtracks, the dynamic range seems fine. I tested the Dunkirk UHD Blu-Ray which is DTS:X and that seemed to be pretty dynamic.

I hope I have something setup incorrectly and this compression isn't a "feature" but I'm just not sure.

One thing to note is that the bar is recognizing Atmos soundtracks as "Dolby Surround" and not specifically saying Atmos on the bar's LED display. So I'm messing around with settings to see if there's a box I forgot to tick.

Setup - Apple TV 4K and LG 4K Blu-Ray Player --> LG B8 65" --> JBL Bar 9.1
post #24 of 52 Old 04-28-2020, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb1115 View Post
So I actually just received mine in the US yesterday. It looks like some retailers have them already. I was able to snag one on Amazon but it seems like they're sold out now.

I set it up last night and watched my first Dolby Atmos film on it. Initial reactions:

1) The default sound setting is "Smart Mode." This setting is insane sounding. It pumps up the rears so basically every sound effect is coming out of every speaker all the time. I've started to refer to it as "Sound Smoothing" because it's basically motion smoothing for your ears.

Thankfully you can turn this off on the remote. Unfortunately, it defaults to "Smart Mode" every time the bar is turned back on. So it's a hassle to turn it off literally every time you watch something. I hope they fix this in a software update, but I don't have my hopes up as it seems to be the same case with the newer JBL "Bar 2.1 Deep Bass."

2) Dolby Atmos soundtracks seem to have a heavy dose of dynamic compression. Gunshots, explosions, and other loud things are sounding just as loud as dialogue. I tested this with an iTunes rental of The Gentlemen and a UHD Blu-Ray of John Wick. But as for non-Atmos soundtracks, the dynamic range seems fine. I tested the Dunkirk UHD Blu-Ray which is DTS:X and that seemed to be pretty dynamic.

I hope I have something setup incorrectly and this compression isn't a "feature" but I'm just not sure.

One thing to note is that the bar is recognizing Atmos soundtracks as "Dolby Surround" and not specifically saying Atmos on the bar's LED display. So I'm messing around with settings to see if there's a box I forgot to tick.

Setup - Apple TV 4K and LG 4K Blu-Ray Player --> LG B8 65" --> JBL Bar 9.1

Thank you for the good feedback.

In regards to ATMOS, unless your TV supports eARC (HDMI 2.1) you don't be able to passthrough ATMOS to the soundbar while routing all the devices through the TV.

post #25 of 52 Old 04-28-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the good feedback.

In regards to ATMOS, unless your TV supports eARC (HDMI 2.1) you don't be able to passthrough ATMOS to the soundbar while routing all the devices through the TV.
Oh that's interesting. So that's the difference between ARC and eARC? I don't think the LG B8 supports eARC, just regular ARC.

So would my best bet be to put my source through the JBL 9.1 and then go to my TV? If so, I just wish it had more than one HDMI input.
post #26 of 52 Old 04-28-2020, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^

Yeah, I think this JBL soundbar is built with eARC as the main feature.

Check this diagram for how the connections are made:

https://www.hdmi.org/spec21Sub/Enhan...oReturnChannel

Edit: an HDMI cable + ethernet is another requirement to carry the higher bandwidth audio data for eARC.

post #27 of 52 Old 04-28-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I think this JBL soundbar is built with eARC as the main feature.
This is super helpful. Thank you!

So by going from Blu-Ray Player into the soundbar's input and then into the TV, the bar now reads the signal as "Dolby Atmos" on it's LED display, without requiring eARC. That being said, I think it is still doing some compression. I tested the UHD Blu-Rays of John Wick and Joker.

After that, I put in a Blu-Ray of a film that I actually mixed in 5.1 myself and the bar was certainly doing some compression on that mix. Next, on the Blu-Ray player, I switched the audio output to force PCM instead of Dolby. With that, the 5.1 played perfectly with no compression.

So it has something to do with the Dolby codec then? Is the Atmos spec at home just compressed in general?
post #28 of 52 Old 04-28-2020, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
Hopefully it works out well for those purchasing, but I don't see the appeal at all in constantly moving the rear speakers to recharge them.
This type of configuration is extremely enticing for me. I'm not going to setup more permanent rear speakers, even if they're "wireless", for a number of reasons. The truly wireless nature of the JBL's rears means that I can put them somewhere temporarily. So, for the majority of my TV viewing I wouldn't bother because TV shows, sports, and a lot of movies I watch wouldn't really benefit from true surround sound. But when I want to watch something truly immersive I could get the full experience without much hassle at all.

To me, this keeps the aesthetic of a soundbar which is why most people buy them, but still allows for immersive sound when you want it.
utility likes this.
post #29 of 52 Old 04-28-2020, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb1115 View Post
This is super helpful. Thank you!

So by going from Blu-Ray Player into the soundbar's input and then into the TV, the bar now reads the signal as "Dolby Atmos" on it's LED display, without requiring eARC. That being said, I think it is still doing some compression. I tested the UHD Blu-Rays of John Wick and Joker.

After that, I put in a Blu-Ray of a film that I actually mixed in 5.1 myself and the bar was certainly doing some compression on that mix. Next, on the Blu-Ray player, I switched the audio output to force PCM instead of Dolby. With that, the 5.1 played perfectly with no compression.

So it has something to do with the Dolby codec then? Is the Atmos spec at home just compressed in general?

How are you measuring this compression?

Bitstream DTS/Dolby should be the exact same as PCM if the source of the audio is the same. Bitstream gets unpacked from the container and decoded to PCM at the last step before it's sent to a speaker. If you decode the audio on the disc player, then the soundbar will get PCM. If you passthrough the bitstream from the disc player to the soundbar, then the soundbar will decode the bitstream to PCM before sending the sound to the speakers.

post #30 of 52 Old 04-28-2020, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

For those that have it already did yours come with the caps for the ends of the sound bar and wireless speakers that cover the connectors when you have them disconnected?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page