Sonos Introduces Arc Soundbar with Dolby Atmos - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 76Likes

post #331 of 347 Old 06-30-2020, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by enc0re View Post
Thank you so much for sharing. I'm positively surprised.

If it's not a super big inconvenience, for the benefit of the thread, could you look up in your Sonos app while Atmos is playing:

Settings (Gear Icon lower right) -> System -> About My System
Then scroll down to Sonos System Info -> Audio In: [what does it say here?]

It would be interesting to know if the Atmos is arriving as LPCM and working (did Sonos Arc already get updated?), or if the LG CX is transcoding to DD+ to make it work (which many are reporting the C9 no longer does with the most recent firmware).

Thank you very much in advance!
believe me I'm more than familiar with digging into about my system and confirming what is playing. on the Apple Tv I have change format set to off and atmos turned on. When playing atmos content sonos about my system says its playing Dolby Atmos, when I play regular DD5.1 content sonos about my system says Dolby Digital 5.1

LG settings: audio output is set to pass through, eArc is turned on and input audio format is set to bitstream

I believe the issue you are describing is actually more to do with DD5.1 not Atmos, there was an issue with the C9 where LPCM would not work over eArc, the firmare update fixed that and now when you have Apple TV audio settings set to auto, Dolby Atmos content plays fine but any DD5.1 content comes through as LPCM which Sonos turns into stereo. The reason the arc is fine with the Apple TV format of Atmos over eArc is that its using Dolby Mat over PCM which the sonos arc specifically understands. the workaround right now for the C9 is to manually change atmos on/off on the apple tv

I'm not sure why its different on the CX, either way when the sonos arc gets updated to support LPCM all will be well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 347 Old 06-30-2020, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by icespide View Post
believe me I'm more than familiar with digging into about my system and confirming what is playing. on the Apple Tv I have change format set to off and atmos turned on. When playing atmos content sonos about my system says its playing Dolby Atmos, when I play regular DD5.1 content sonos about my system says Dolby Digital 5.1

LG settings: audio output is set to pass through, eArc is turned on and input audio format is set to bitstream

I believe the issue you are describing is actually more to do with DD5.1 not Atmos, there was an issue with the C9 where LPCM would not work over eArc, the firmare update fixed that and now when you have Apple TV audio settings set to auto, Dolby Atmos content plays fine but any DD5.1 content comes through as LPCM which Sonos turns into stereo. The reason the arc is fine with the Apple TV format of Atmos over eArc is that its using Dolby Mat over PCM which the sonos arc specifically understands. the workaround right now for the C9 is to manually change atmos on/off on the apple tv

I'm not sure why its different on the CX, either way when the sonos arc gets updated to support LPCM all will be well
Wow! Dude, incredibly insightful. And yes, for Sonos being the "easy" system we do end up having to learn a lot about sound containers, don't we.

I thought Dolby Mat over PCM was LPCM. Obviously I have more learning to do. But you have given me the info I needed and I thank you again.
post #333 of 347 Old 07-03-2020, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Lightbulb Question on Sonos Arc with Receiver

Hi,

I'm planning to buy Sonos Arc with Sub for my media room setup. I already have the BenQ TK800M projector. I understand that, it doesn't have arc/eArc HDMI output so I can't connect Sonos Arc directly. I have checked lot of options and couldn't find a solution to connect it directly until the HDFury Arcana switch comes into the project.

But, I have been thinking if I can use a Receiver which has eARC output to connect to the Sonos ARC? I see that there are some Denon and Yamaha receivers which can take multiple HDMI inputs and give eARC as output. Can't I connect from this eARC output to Sonos ARC to play the movies sound from Fire Stick or other formats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 347 Old 07-03-2020, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosuser19861985 View Post
Hi,

I'm planning to buy Sonos Arc with Sub for my media room setup. I already have the BenQ TK800M projector. I understand that, it doesn't have arc/eArc HDMI output so I can't connect Sonos Arc directly. I have checked lot of options and couldn't find a solution to connect it directly until the HDFury Arcana switch comes into the project.

But, I have been thinking if I can use a Receiver which has eARC output to connect to the Sonos ARC? I see that there are some Denon and Yamaha receivers which can take multiple HDMI inputs and give eARC as output. Can't I connect from this eARC output to Sonos ARC to play the movies sound from Fire Stick or other formats?
The eARC port on those receivers are supposed to be used to connect to the eARC port on the TV. Also, there's only one eARC port on those receivers. The rest of their HDMI ports are inputs.
post #335 of 347 Old 07-04-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synomenon View Post
The eARC port on those receivers are supposed to be used to connect to the eARC port on the TV. Also, there's only one eARC port on those receivers. The rest of their HDMI ports are inputs.
Thanks Synomenon for responding! So, we can't connect to the Sonos Arc with this eARC port? It clearly says output right? If it's output, can't it pass the eARC signal we get from other hDMI inputs via this eARC output port to Sonos Arc?

And also this particular Yamaha Receiver has two output ports. One regular HDMI and another eARC. So, I'm thinking, I can use one to connect to my BenQ projector and the eARC to Sonos Arc. Do you think it would work?
post #336 of 347 Old 07-04-2020, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Thanks Synomenon for responding! So, we can't connect to the Sonos Arc with this eARC port? It clearly says output right? If it's output, can't it pass the eARC signal we get from other hDMI inputs via this eARC output port to Sonos Arc?

And also this particular Yamaha Receiver has two output ports. One regular HDMI and another eARC. So, I'm thinking, I can use one to connect to my BenQ projector and the eARC to Sonos Arc. Do you think it would work?
Only way to know for sure is to try it!
post #337 of 347 Old 07-04-2020, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I get my Arc (no sub) that I’ll pair with existing Play:1s on Monday. Sub will be added later...

Question is - the TV I’m putting it on is an LG C8 - I don’t use the LG apps - only ATV4K and XBox One X.

Has anyone had any success with this combination? If so - any special configurations needed?

I’m moving from a Samsung N-950 - in which the sub woofer has constant interference with something in the house rendering it almost useless. I know this may be a step down sound quality wise - but to get this working properly I had to disable HDMI-CEC. Seemed like the ATV would steal the input consistently from the Xbox One. Hoping to not have this issue with the Arc.
post #338 of 347 Old 07-04-2020, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrozdowski View Post
I get my Arc (no sub) that I’ll pair with existing Play:1s on Monday. Sub will be added later...

Question is - the TV I’m putting it on is an LG C8 - I don’t use the LG apps - only ATV4K and XBox One X.

Has anyone had any success with this combination? If so - any special configurations needed?

I’m moving from a Samsung N-950 - in which the sub woofer has constant interference with something in the house rendering it almost useless. I know this may be a step down sound quality wise - but to get this working properly I had to disable HDMI-CEC. Seemed like the ATV would steal the input consistently from the Xbox One. Hoping to not have this issue with the Arc.
I have an LG B9 and I am running an X Box One X and it works perfectly.

FAMILY ROOM - Sonos ARC, Sonos One surrounds, Sonos Sub v3, LG 65B9 OLED
BASEMENT THEATRE - Paradigm Studio 100 v5, 690 v5, 10x4 v5, CI-Elite E80-R Atmos, Anthem AVM 60, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7125, 2x JTR Captivator S2s, X-Box One X, Apple TV 4K, HTPC, JVC NX-5, 106" screen
post #339 of 347 Old 07-04-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post
I have an LG B9 and I am running an X Box One X and it works perfectly.
Does the B9 have eARC or just ARC?

The C8 is just ARC - but will pass Atmos over ARC (DD5.1)
post #340 of 347 Old 07-05-2020, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrozdowski View Post
Does the B9 have eARC or just ARC?

The C8 is just ARC - but will pass Atmos over ARC (DD5.1)
B9 has eARC
post #341 of 347 Old 07-05-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:

I'd say if you are going to go thru the trouble of buying an AVR just to throw sound to a soundbar, you'd get better sound/bang for your buck regardless just hooking up speakers to it instead of also buying the Sonos Arc on top of that. My guess is this will not work, the AVR will be trying to throw video/audio out the HDMI and its going to puke on itself and the Sonos Arc won't know what to do... the eARC on the AVR unit is actually a sound input from the tv source - ARC stands for audio return channel and its sending a video signal to the TV but can except audio back from the TV if you are using an input on the TV to view, but there could be a specific setting to send audio only inside the Yamaha settings. But let us know what happens if you try it.
Synomenon likes this.

Last edited by butchbr73; 07-05-2020 at 06:17 AM.
post #342 of 347 Old 07-05-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchbr73 View Post
I'd say if you are going to go thru the trouble of buying an AVR just to throw sound to a soundbar, you'd get better sound/bang for your buck regardless just hooking up speakers to it instead of also buying the Sonos Arc on top of that. My guess is this will not work, the AVR will be trying to throw video/audio out the HDMI and its going to puke on itself and the Sonos Arc won't know what to do... the eARC on the AVR unit is actually a sound input from the tv source - ARC stands for audio return channel and its sending a video signal to the TV but can except audio back from the TV if you are using an input on the TV to view, but there could be a specific setting to send audio only inside the Yamaha settings. But let us know what happens if you try it.
You are correct! After doing some more research, it's clear that it won't work. Have to wait till HDFury releases their Arcana.
post #343 of 347 Old 07-06-2020, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sound quality ?

Hi,

I am thinking in replacing my current installation (yamaha v685 + 5.1 Dali Zensor speakers) with a Sonos Arc + 2 One SL surround + Sub. It will suit better my new house (Dali Speaker are quite big).
But how important is the difference in terms of sound quality ?

Note: I only watch TV with an apple TV, so all my sources are DD5.1 or DD+5.1

Thanks!
post #344 of 347 Old 07-06-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchbr73 View Post
B9 has eARC
FWIW - on the LG C8 series TV with AppleTV & Xbox One X - everything works as expected. This LG OLED series is not eARC enabled - just regular ARC. Atmos when Atmos is available; Dolby Digital 5.1 otherwise (or Sonos is doing something with the rears to mimic it off 2.0 stereo). I may need a slight adjustment for lip sync - but I will watch for a few more days to see if it bugs me enough to fiddle with it or not.

Compared to my Samsung N950 - massive improvement - even though I don't have the Sub yet! The default system is 'good enough' for general video game & streaming content via ATV (Hulu Live is main TV source). Better if you play with the EQ and turn the bass up a bit from the default. It reminded me just how bad the N950 was in terms of interference - with the N950 I never noticed the rears (or rarely did with some crackling) and the sub would rarely engage consistently with general live tv viewing. With the Arc + 2 Play:1 gen 1 as rears and shows come back to life. Can't wait to get the sub added in to see how this improves things. Certainly exceeding my initial expectations out of the box. Its not just me - my teen daughters even commented on how much better it sounded.
post #345 of 347 Old 07-07-2020, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I’m a fan. It sounds better than the Playbar and the Playbar sounds good. I’m not a Sonos fanboy, but I don’t understand the haters. C4 integration is my biggest issue, but aside from that it’s a great system. S2 should bring hi res and many other nuances it’s historically lacked. I do question The whole eARC thing for Atmos. It has been a nightmare, what were they thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #346 of 347 Old 07-07-2020, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiaddx View Post
Hi,

I am thinking in replacing my current installation (yamaha v685 + 5.1 Dali Zensor speakers) with a Sonos Arc + 2 One SL surround + Sub. It will suit better my new house (Dali Speaker are quite big).
But how important is the difference in terms of sound quality ?

Note: I only watch TV with an apple TV, so all my sources are DD5.1 or DD+5.1

Thanks!
Hi Benji,

I just set up this system (Arc, sub, S1 surrounds) with a Sony 900H. I am thrilled with the overall sound.

In another room I have a Yamaha RX V683 with a 5.1.2 speaker set up... which sounds fantastic... have been using this for almost 2 years.

In comparison, and if I had to do it again, I would actually choose the Sonos system as I think it sounds slighty better. The main factor for me would be ease of setup and ease of use. The Yamaha was kind of a pain in the ass to get dialed in AND I am still constantly tinkering with it... due to the multiple input devices. The Arc is only using a 4K Firestick and the onboard TV Android Apps. In fairness though...the Yamaha setup is in a room with vaulted ceilings and a fairly open layout.

The Atmos definitely sounds better on the Arc... but again, I think that is really due to the less than optimal seating and upper speaker set up with the Yamaha. I had pretty low expectations for the Arcs Atmos performance but was pleasantly surprised with it.

The Sub makes a HUGE difference and is almost a must have if you are going for a theater type sound. When we added the rears it felt like it just completed it. Also, definitely worth it as it really kicks it up a notch. In fact, I really feel like the rear surrounds (One SL’s) sound even better than the Polk floor standing speakers used with the Yamaha.

We have only used the Arc setup for a week or so but I am thoroughly satisfied. I definitely prefer it over the Nakamichi 7.2 and Vizio 5.1.4 that we used prior to the Arc.

Did it cost more than I wanted to spend? Yes, in total it was about $1600 as I scoured the web for deals... used the gen 2 sub to save a bit. We wanted to keep the sound expense to around a grand but felt like spending the extra 500 was worth it in the long run.

Glad we did. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
post #347 of 347 Old 07-07-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt68061 View Post
Hi Benji,

I just set up this system (Arc, sub, S1 surrounds) with a Sony 900H. I am thrilled with the overall sound.

In another room I have a Yamaha RX V683 with a 5.1.2 speaker set up... which sounds fantastic... have been using this for almost 2 years.

In comparison, and if I had to do it again, I would actually choose the Sonos system as I think it sounds slighty better. The main factor for me would be ease of setup and ease of use. The Yamaha was kind of a pain in the ass to get dialed in AND I am still constantly tinkering with it... due to the multiple input devices. The Arc is only using a 4K Firestick and the onboard TV Android Apps. In fairness though...the Yamaha setup is in a room with vaulted ceilings and a fairly open layout.

The Atmos definitely sounds better on the Arc... but again, I think that is really due to the less than optimal seating and upper speaker set up with the Yamaha. I had pretty low expectations for the Arcs Atmos performance but was pleasantly surprised with it.

The Sub makes a HUGE difference and is almost a must have if you are going for a theater type sound. When we added the rears it felt like it just completed it. Also, definitely worth it as it really kicks it up a notch. In fact, I really feel like the rear surrounds (One SL’s) sound even better than the Polk floor standing speakers used with the Yamaha.

We have only used the Arc setup for a week or so but I am thoroughly satisfied. I definitely prefer it over the Nakamichi 7.2 and Vizio 5.1.4 that we used prior to the Arc.

Did it cost more than I wanted to spend? Yes, in total it was about $1600 as I scoured the web for deals... used the gen 2 sub to save a bit. We wanted to keep the sound expense to around a grand but felt like spending the extra 500 was worth it in the long run.

Glad we did. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
I agree... the Sub really is a must with this setup, turns into a different soundbar with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page