Sonos Introduces Arc Soundbar with Dolby Atmos - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #31 of 334 Old 05-07-2020, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Do these come with wall mounts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 334 Old 05-07-2020, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked: 1137
eARC can do the lossless formats that ARC can't. It is unfortunate that this new sound bar doesn't have DTS capability but for most it will never be needed. ARC and eARC can both do DD+ for Atmos which is what the Apple TV uses. Pretty much the only thing that doesn't use DD+ for Atmos is Blu-ray and besides us enthusiasts most people forgot what discs look like:-)
TXBDan and tinkinHD like this.
post #33 of 334 Old 05-07-2020, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked: 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by icespide View Post
we'll find out for sure in June but all the research I could find is that Atmos on Apple TV is always output as LPCM and there is no way to bitstream it. Sonos Arc doesn't support multi channel PCM so I'm afraid you won't get Atmos from Apple TV with it even if you have eArc
Atmos can not be LPCM. LPCM would only cover 8 channels of audio (7.1). Atmos is encoded in Dolby True HD or DD+ format not LPCM and there is no converting it except to put everything in the base layer of 7.1.
mfleener and Howard Lin like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
eARC can do the lossless formats that ARC can't. It is unfortunate that this new sound bar doesn't have DTS capability but for most it will never be needed. ARC and eARC can both do DD+ for Atmos which is what the Apple TV uses. Pretty much the only thing that doesn't use DD+ for Atmos is Blu-ray and besides us enthusiasts most people forgot what discs look like:-)
Exactly, the world is losing their buns over eARC, but it really only applies if your source is a 4k bluray player. For all the normals streaming Atmos content from Netflix, etc, it'll work just fine over ARC via DD+.
Howard Lin likes this.
post #35 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 06:50 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Website states it has HDMI, Optical and Ethernet connections. Wondering if it will work with the Playbar sub?
From the SONOS FAQ page they mention that it still supports the previous gens of SUB as well as the Play1 for surrounds. So I’m only ordering the ARC.
imagic likes this.
post #36 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No amount of wizardry will ever get the localization of sound objects that a discrete speaker system can do. Atmos sound bars at any price throw the sound in all directions and the room reflections prevent any way to reproduce the sound objects as they were intended by the movie's sound engineering team. So before investing in these type of products, look how mush effort to add (4) ceiling speakers to your home theater and a reasonably priced AVR. Some rooms don't have a place to install ceiling speakers, but many do and it isn't that hard to cut the holes and run the wires. At least consider it!
post #37 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I pre ordered the Arc. What do think would be better to get...the Sub or two ones for rear surround?
post #38 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am not going to defend Sonos decisions as to what you think this lacks or needs, does or doesn't do. This is maybe not the right product for you in your home but for a lot of my clients, it is. They may not need nth-degree localization or glass-rattling subs but the Atmos experience in a one-bar device that looks great, is Sonos-compatible, and less than the same price as seven speakers and an amp (without the hours of install) is very appealing and a confident, easy sale of a great product. Plus, it will just...work. The more complicated we make systems to operate, install, and maintain, the worse experience the client has. All they want to do is sit back and watch some TV. I predict this is a great sonic upgrade to doing just that.

Sooooo Update from the current Sonos FAQ: "Sonos Arc can connect to TVs with eARC, ARC, or optical outputs. For greatest compatibility, eARC is recommended. If you connect to a TV with eARC, the Dolby audio formats supported include Dolby Atmos, TrueHD, MAT, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital. If you connect to a TV using ARC, the Dolby audio formats supported are dependent on your TV model and manufacturer. The TV may be capable of sending Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital. An ARC connection cannot support TrueHD or MAT."

Regards,

Klay Anderson D.A., Q.B.E.

Last edited by Klay; 05-08-2020 at 09:14 AM.
post #39 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Website states it has HDMI, Optical and Ethernet connections. Wondering if it will work with the Playbar sub?
There is no Playbar specific sub only the Sonos sub which works with all of their products.
post #40 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckdogg7 View Post
I pre ordered the Arc. What do think would be better to get...the Sub or two ones for rear surround?
The sub. It makes the biggest difference because it takes over the low end and lets the bar handle mids and highs. Major difference. You can get the rears when they go on sale which is often or use the Ikea Symfoniks which are $99 each. Plus the Arc will be better at simulating surround than the Playbar which is now a very old and out of date product.
Leo the 3rd and Dave_O like this.
post #41 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I am not going to defend Sonos decisions as to what you think this lacks or needs, does or doesn't do. This is maybe not the right product for you in your home but for a lot of my clients, it is. They may not need nth-degree localization or glass-rattling subs but the Atmos experience in a one-bar device that looks great, is Sonos-compatible, and less than the same price as seven speakers and an amp (without the hours of install) is very appealing and a confident, easy sale of a great product. Plus, it will just...work. The more complicated we make systems to operate, install, and maintain, the worse experience the client has. All they want to do is sit back and watch some TV. I predict this is a great sonic upgrade to doing just that.
I've done the whole AV receiver, speakers cables route and went Sonos knowing what I was getting and what I was not. I use a Sonos Amp with Revel Concerta 2 speakers, Sonos sub, and One SL rears.
Sonos makes some bad decisions though like not putting an eARC input into the Arc. It would bypass issues with things like Apple TV which requires eARC for Atmos if they had. I hope they enjoy all the support calls they get when Atmos doesn't work because they saved pennies on another input.
post #42 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottleslie View Post
No amount of wizardry will ever get the localization of sound objects that a discrete speaker system can do. Atmos sound bars at any price throw the sound in all directions and the room reflections prevent any way to reproduce the sound objects as they were intended by the movie's sound engineering team. So before investing in these type of products, look how mush effort to add (4) ceiling speakers to your home theater and a reasonably priced AVR. Some rooms don't have a place to install ceiling speakers, but many do and it isn't that hard to cut the holes and run the wires. At least consider it!
Yeah I wouldn't expect much for Atmos from the Sonos. Better than nothing I suppose. Two small speakers firing upwards with no rear firing upwards speakers won't be too impressive. Interesting that if you aren't playing Atmos those speakers will add to the low end of the soundbar but if you have the sub I doubt they will do anything for bass.
post #43 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 09:00 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCyclist View Post
The sub. It makes the biggest difference because it takes over the low end and lets the bar handle mids and highs. Major difference. You can get the rears when they go on sale which is often or use the Ikea Symfoniks which are $99 each. Plus the Arc will be better at simulating surround than the Playbar which is now a very old and out of date product.
Agreed. When I downsized and moved into an apartment having the PlayBar and the SUB made a huge difference. The surrounds, while active are more for filler and can be added as budget changes.

As another poster said dedicated is the best solution but not everyone has the space/budget to go this route. What SONOS does - right or wrong - is fill a consumer need to get a ‘like’ environment for a surround setup. There is always the WAF (wife acceptance factor) to take into account. Not everyone wants to run wires! Have space for racks, pre/pro, amp, dedicated audio vs video circuits, optimal lighting, etc. been there done that.

Personally my system is more 2 channel dedicated so having the option for SONOS 5.1 surround fills my needs. Best of luck in your decision. Above all enjoy your music and movies - your ears and budget are what counts- unless you get a GoFund me or Sponsor. 🙂
post #44 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 165
waiting to see how the various scenarios of Apple TV + arc or no eArc at passing Atmos to see if I’ll buy
post #45 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icespide View Post
waiting to see how the various scenarios of Apple TV + arc or no eArc at passing Atmos to see if I’ll buy
Apple says on their web site that they require eARC to pass their uncompressed version of Atmos so it doesn't look too good. Again an eARC input would have solved that.
post #46 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the 3rd View Post
Agreed. When I downsized and moved into an apartment having the PlayBar and the SUB made a huge difference. The surrounds, while active are more for filler and can be added as budget changes.

As another poster said dedicated is the best solution but not everyone has the space/budget to go this route. What SONOS does - right or wrong - is fill a consumer need to get a ‘like’ environment for a surround setup. There is always the WAF (wife acceptance factor) to take into account. Not everyone wants to run wires! Have space for racks, pre/pro, amp, dedicated audio vs video circuits, optimal lighting, etc. been there done that.

Personally my system is more 2 channel dedicated so having the option for SONOS 5.1 surround fills my needs. Best of luck in your decision. Above all enjoy your music and movies - your ears and budget are what counts- unless you get a GoFund me or Sponsor. 🙂
With my Sonos Amp I turn off the rears and use the sub and my Revel speakers for two channel music. Works pretty well and sounds good.
post #47 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My understanding is that even the latest TVs generally have a single eARC port, isn't that correct?
If so, I don't understand how you could use an external player with this even with a new TV if eARC is needed to pass Atmos. The Blu-ray or AVR would be run to the TV via eARC (to carry the Atmos info), but then the TV wouldn't have a way to get it to the AMP since the eARC port is already used?

Or have I misunderstood and you could connect the AVR to the TV via any HDMI port and just use the single eARC port to get the info to the AMP? In that case, having an AVR would allow for Atmos to be passed to the ARC (though the TV), and the AVR could convert DTS to 5.1 PCM for any DTS only sources. Is there anything wrong with this solution?
post #48 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Apple says on their web site that they require eARC to pass their uncompressed version of Atmos so it doesn't look too good. Again an eARC input would have solved that.
From the current Sonos FAQ: "Sonos Arc can connect to TVs with eARC, ARC, or optical outputs. For greatest compatibility, eARC is recommended. If you connect to a TV with eARC, the Dolby audio formats supported include Dolby Atmos, TrueHD, MAT, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital."

Regards,

Klay Anderson D.A., Q.B.E.
post #49 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post
My understanding is that even the latest TVs generally have a single eARC port, isn't that correct?
If so, I don't understand how you could use an external player with this even with a new TV if eARC is needed to pass Atmos. The Blu-ray or AVR would be run to the TV via eARC (to carry the Atmos info), but then the TV wouldn't have a way to get it to the AMP since the eARC port is already used?

Or have I misunderstood and you could connect the AVR to the TV via any HDMI port and just use the single eARC port to get the info to the AMP? In that case, having an AVR would allow for Atmos to be passed to the ARC (though the TV), and the AVR could convert DTS to 5.1 PCM for any DTS only sources. Is there anything wrong with this solution?

Only the device playing the audio needs to be connected to the eARC port, whether that is a traditional AVR or sound bar. The TV uses its eARC (or older ARC) HDMI port to send audio "backwards" down the cable on one of its HDMI inputs. All other devices can be connected to the other HDMI inputs on the TV and the audio will be routed back through eARC HDMI port. The benefit of eARC is that it can pass through lossless surround audio, where the older ARC only had the bandwidth for 2 channel PCM or lossy surround audio.

JVC RS-440 | SI Slate 1.2 120" Zero Edge 16x9 screen | Fusion Lagoon Seating
Denon x4300H | Revel 5.1.4 F206/C205/W893/C763 | Dayton
Sealed 18-HO | Behringer EP4000
Tivo Bolt | Oppo 203 | Apple TV 4K | PS4 Pro | Nvidia Shield TV
post #50 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeboo View Post
Only the device playing the audio needs to be connected to the eARC port, whether that is a traditional AVR or sound bar. The TV uses its eARC (or older ARC) HDMI port to send audio "backwards" down the cable on one of its HDMI inputs. All other devices can be connected to the other HDMI inputs on the TV and the audio will be routed back through eARC HDMI port. The benefit of eARC is that it can pass through lossless surround audio, where the older ARC only had the bandwidth for 2 channel PCM or lossy surround audio.
Thank you. I'm afraid I still might be misunderstanding some of this, so let me ask you a very specific question. in the scenario below, you're saying that the full Atmos signal would get to the Sonos ARC, via the TV, and you do not need to go directly from AVR to Sonos ARC. Is that correct?

Blu-ray player ---- HDMI 2.0 ---- Modern AVR ----- HDMI 2.0 ---- TV ----- HDMI eARC ----- Sonos ARC
post #51 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Yet another spec to chase. I was about to go get a new panel but I'm glad I didn't. I'm sure I'll find out after I've gotten it home that I should have gotten "eARC2+", along with DoubleDolbyVision and UltraTrueNoReallyISwearHD.

Someone, point me to the thread that talks about "all tha stuff" in a package I need to buy at the local Costco, under $1k, so I can forget about all of this and start enjoying some movies, please.
post #52 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Sonos Arc has eArc

apparently Apple outputs Atmos is some odd way using Dolby MAT and PCM so its not even for sure if it will with eArc since the Sonos Arc does not support LPCM

There is scuttlebut on the sonos forums though that it works fine over eArc and even some beta testers had lossy DD+ atmos pass fine through regular arc (depending on your tv of course)

we'll have to wait and see
post #53 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
ARC and eARC can both do DD+ for Atmos which is what the Apple TV uses. Pretty much the only thing that doesn't use DD+ for Atmos is Blu-ray and besides us enthusiasts most people forgot what discs look like:-)

The bold part is incorrect, the Apple TV does not send out DD+, it rather converts everything to PCM. Atmos is output in lossless MAT format, thus will not work with older ARC unless the TV itself converts it to DD+.
Howard Lin likes this.

post #54 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 09:41 AM

There's at least one person on reddit and someone on the sonos forums that supposedly has beta tested the Arc with Apple TV 4K and a regular Arc TV and its possible the Apple TV somehow knows to output lossy DD+ Atmos when appropriate, take it with a grain of salt of course. I'm hopeful
post #55 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post
Thank you. I'm afraid I still might be misunderstanding some of this, so let me ask you a very specific question. in the scenario below, you're saying that the full Atmos signal would get to the Sonos ARC, via the TV, and you do not need to go directly from AVR to Sonos ARC. Is that correct?

Blu-ray player ---- HDMI 2.0 ---- Modern AVR ----- HDMI 2.0 ---- TV ----- HDMI eARC ----- Sonos ARC

I believe the intention of having a sonos soundbar is so that an AVR is not needed/used.

Either way, with Sonos ARC connected to the HDMI eARC port on the TV, any device that is connected to the TV (including the TV's built-in streaming apps) will pass the audio to the Sonos ARC. If you have the devices connected to an AVR, rather than the TV, you have to make sure the AVR is passing the audio to the TV.
skro likes this.

post #56 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 09:42 AM

Sonos users and Apple TV 4K users is a huge overlap I would be shocked if Sonos didn't test it haha, stranger things have happened though
post #57 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I believe the intention of having a sonos soundbar is so that an AVR is not needed/used.

Either way, with Sonos ARC connected to the HDMI eARC port on the TV, any device that is connected to the TV (including the TV's built-in streaming apps) will pass the audio to the Sonos ARC. If you have the devices connected to an AVR, rather than the TV, you have to make sure the AVR is passing the audio to the TV.
Got it. Thanks...so Blu-ray/Xbox/etc, all plugged directly into TV (via HDMI) and set to output only Dolby formats or PCM, then plug the ARC into the eARC TV port. Thanks!
shoeboo likes this.
post #58 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckdogg7 View Post
I think its up to what you value more. I have a Beam and two Ones as surrounds with no sub. (I've previously had a proper HT setup in this room w/ sub so i know what it "should" sound like). I enjoy the immersion and surround effects with the dedicated surrounds. The Ones also seem to play full range as they added quite a bit of fullness to the sound overall when i added them. Of course there's no bass rumble, but its nice for normal watching and satisfactory enough even for movie time. And the Arc should fill a room much better than the Beam.

That said i did get the One SLs for $130 each so i'd wait for a sale. I'll get a sub some day as well, but i'll wait for a deal.
post #59 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Apple says they need eARC for Apple TV. Plugged into the TV, the soundbar, or a AV receiver. This is a big subject of discussion on the Reddit Sonos forum and people are speculating maybe they can make it work with a splitter etc.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204069
post #60 of 334 Old 05-08-2020, 10:16 AM

Apple's support article actually doesn't mention eArc at all it only says that its "high bandwidth and doesn't work over Arc connections" there's a little bit of wiggle room there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page