• 1 Post By kluken

post #1 of 18 Old 05-12-2020, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Sony HT-G700

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sound-bars/ht-g700

New one from Sony that seems to be a new, and more budget, version of the HT-Z9F. Virtualizes the audio for spatial effect, but if it works about as well as the Z9F then this is probably a good option. I've heard that the Z9F is decent quality, just not at its retail price.

Supports all audio formats as far as I can tell. Only 1 input in addition to 1 eARC port. At least you can plug something directly into it, unlike the Sonos Arc. The price is definitely in my range as I seek to upgrade. Too early for reviews, of course, but what are peoples' thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-12-2020, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 130
wish there was an option to add wireless surround speakers
post #3 of 18 Old 05-13-2020, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Adding rears would be a nice option to have. I'm not in a position to add rears now so I'm still interested in this bar, but it would be better if I weren't handicapped in the future if my situation changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-13-2020, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It looks pretty good value, especially as it comes with a sub. I cannot have rears , so this and the Sonos ARC are what I am looking at (the big issue I have with Sonos this the amount they charge for their sub, for that money , you can get a really good SVS, or BK Monolith. I saw 5 reviews on Bestbuy website by people who just bought it. It is deffinately on my list for a 3.1/5.1/7.1 all-in-one solution.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-13-2020, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I purchased This HT-G700 soundbar today from Best Buy to replace a vizio 5.1.2 setup that I’ve had numerous issues with lately. Connected immediately and sounds pretty good with my Sony 950g Tv. Tried Atmos on my Xbox in COD and sounded pretty good when a helicopter was overhead. Loaded up a Atmos movie on Netflix on a Apple TV 4K and everything connected and sounded good. Might need to tweak some settings as I’ve only had it a few hours so far.
saiyanzzrage and mchamblissII like this.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-14-2020, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrix420 View Post
I purchased This HT-G700 soundbar today from Best Buy to replace a vizio 5.1.2 setup that I’ve had numerous issues with lately. Connected immediately and sounds pretty good with my Sony 950g Tv. Tried Atmos on my Xbox in COD and sounded pretty good when a helicopter was overhead. Loaded up a Atmos movie on Netflix on a Apple TV 4K and everything connected and sounded good. Might need to tweak some settings as I’ve only had it a few hours so far.
I'd definitely be interested in hearing more of your thoughts on it after you've had some time to really test it out. I'm most curious about how well it's able to generate spatial effects and how it compares to your previous soundbar which actually had rear speakers.

@Norrix420 , I have a specific question about the spatial effect related to seating position. My couch is off-center from the TV so I'm curious how that will impact the experience. Does the virtualized height effect still work as you move about the room, or is it really only good when you're directly in front of the bar?

Last edited by mud sloth; 05-15-2020 at 01:48 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-15-2020, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Also interested.

Atmos soundbar in my price target (500€).
post #8 of 18 Old 05-15-2020, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Interested as well, looking at this, the LG SN8YG, and either the samsung Q70R or the Q800T

LG 65CX l 2019 NVIDIA Shield Pro l PS4 Pro l Nintendo Switch
post #9 of 18 Old 05-15-2020, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hey, if interested, this guy has posted a video about the Sony HT-G700
. It's not an in-depth review, but it's nice to watch if interested.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-15-2020, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 817
I have the previous model the HT-X9000F which replaced my old HT-660. I loved my 660 and like Sony, but the X9000F while cleaner sound overall and supporting DV pass through and more audio formats the X9000F sub is the weak spot. It is cleaner than the older 660, but bottoms and distorts under any real deep lows. The G700 appears to be the same setup just updated. I will be. Moving the X9000F to the sitting room LG 55C9 and looking at the LG SL9Y to replace the Sony in my basement exercise room.
tonydeluce likes this.

LG 77 C9 (Also LG 65 C7 and Sony XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #11 of 18 Old 05-15-2020, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
I have the previous model the HT-X9000F which replaced my old HT-660. I loved my 660 and like Sony, but the X9000F while cleaner sound overall and supporting DV pass through and more audio formats the X9000F sub is the weak spot. It is cleaner than the older 660, but bottoms and distorts under any real deep lows. The G700 appears to be the same setup just updated. I will be. Moving the X9000F to the sitting room LG 55C9 and looking at the LG SL9Y to replace the Sony in my basement exercise room.
This looks like a great replacement for the X9000F which I used for about six months as it adds a center speaker. I recently moved to the LG SL10YG which has up firing speakers and actual rear speakers. I am not sure the subwoofer is dramatically better but as I am currently living in an apartment it is more than adequate. I am also getting significantly more of an ATMOS effect than with the Sony...

Sony XBR-65A8G 65 inch Bravia OLED 4K TV
Panasonic DP-UB820 UltraHD Premium Blu-ray Player * 2019 Nvidia Shield TV
LG SL10YG 7.1.2 Channel Soundbar + Rear Speaker kit w/Meridian Technology & Dolby Atmos / DTS:X

Last edited by tonydeluce; 05-15-2020 at 11:44 PM.
post #12 of 18 Old 05-16-2020, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I’m strongly debating a new soundbar to replace my Samsung HW-K950 Atmos. Mostly because of the processing limits of the K950.

I pretty sure a Nakamich 7.2.4 or better would be a big step up, but at a hefty price. A price that I would like to avoid if possible.

I’m wondering how well this soundbar with all virtualized surround/Atmos would compare in sound? Any opinions.

Lloyd
post #13 of 18 Old 05-17-2020, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce View Post
This looks like a great replacement for the X9000F which I used for about six months as it adds a center speaker. I recently moved to the LG SL10YG which has up firing speakers and actual rear speakers. I am not sure the subwoofer is dramatically better but as I am currently living in an apartment it is more than adequate. I am also getting significantly more of an ATMOS effect than with the Sony...
Yeah I put in my LG SL9YG today and spend some time reviewing different content and the LG is a mixed bag. The little bit of bass the Sony had was cleaner, but distorted too easily. The soundstage on the LG is amazing, but the I am having all sorts of quirky inconsistencies with volume. The LG has decent lows, but it is a bit boomy, clearly this is a movie sound bar. I can play the same source and some time the volume is loud other times it is whimsy. I made sure night mode is NOT turned on. I will try it for a few days, but I am thinking the Sony might be a better quality delivery system with more consistent sound even if it lacks the sound stage and deep lows.

Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Dual PSA V1800s
post #14 of 18 Old 05-17-2020, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Yeah I put in my LG SL9YG today and spend some time reviewing different content and the LG is a mixed bag. The little bit of bass the Sony had was cleaner, but distorted too easily. The soundstage on the LG is amazing, but the I am having all sorts of quirky inconsistencies with volume. The LG has decent lows, but it is a bit boomy, clearly this is a movie sound bar. I can play the same source and some time the volume is loud other times it is whimsy. I made sure night mode is NOT turned on. I will try it for a few days, but I am thinking the Sony might be a better quality delivery system with more consistent sound even if it lacks the sound stage and deep lows.
Definitely a rocking movie soundbar- have not experienced the volume issues you describe though...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

LG SL10YG 7.1.2 Channel Soundbar + Rear Speaker kit w/Meridian Technology & Dolby Atmos / DTS:X
post #15 of 18 Old 05-17-2020, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The samsung is better with 3.1.2 but also coster. 200€ more here... We can find the sony at 450€.

I think this new sony is a good compromise.
post #16 of 18 Old 05-17-2020, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce View Post
Definitely a rocking movie soundbar- have not experienced the volume issues you describe though...

After some more testing I think it is DTS:X sources particularly from my MKV rips. The LG bar has some inconsistencies with different soundtrack formats and then the modes of the sound bar. Overall a decent bar, but Kudos to Sony for their superior engineering. If this LG were near launch price I would send it back, but at these close out prices it holds its own against anything at a similar price.

Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Dual PSA V1800s
post #17 of 18 Old 05-17-2020, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
After some more testing I think it is DTS:X sources particularly from my MKV rips. The LG bar has some inconsistencies with different soundtrack formats and then the modes of the sound bar. Overall a decent bar, but Kudos to Sony for their superior engineering. If this LG were near launch price I would send it back, but at these close out prices it holds its own against anything at a similar price.
DTS:X from UHD Bluray has been rock solid for me. I got it for $400 off m.s.r.p. and used reward points for rear speaker kit so all in with tax and everything under $1k. I am extremely pleased ith it as I just stream and watch UHD BluRays. For my applications, the Sony is not even close especially for ATMOS and it has no true surround sound without rears but it does do an amazing job with 2 (and I suspect now 3 ) speakers and a subwoofer...

post #18 of 18 Old 05-26-2020, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

I went ahead and got this soundbar since I was tired of my current setup. Currently trying to decide whether to return it (I've got a week left in the window).

The sound is terrific. I haven't fully flexed it, but everything I've watched has sounded great and as if it has a good soundstage. 1917 was great, though I don't think that movie is the best tester for Atmos audio.

I'm debating returning it because of a minor annoyance. I have my Shield connected to the soundbar, then the soundbar connected to my Hisense H9F via the ARC port. CEC works well in that everything turns on when I hit a button on the shield remote, but for some reason the soundbar switches to TV audio instead of HDMI after it fully wakes up. It will say HDMI at first, then scroll the audio format received from the Shield, but then it switches to TV every time. I have to hit Input on the soundbar remote to get audio out of my Shield again.

Anyone who owns it and has something plugged into the HDMI IN port having to switch input after they turn it on? It's a minor annoyance, but having to do that every time won't fly in my household.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page