Am I making too big of a deal out of Atmos given my room specs... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-13-2020, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Am I making too big of a deal out of Atmos given my room specs...

This may be more appropriate in the "help me choose" thread, but I didn't want it to just get lost in the shuffle..

I keep questioning if I'm making too much of a big deal out of getting an Atmos soundbar. I wanted it just so I could be future proof. My ceilings are 12ft and they are popcorn ceilings, so I'm not even sure if our living room is a good environment for Atmos. Our living room is also an "open floor plan." our living room and kitchen don't really have a wall separating them.

I can't seem to find a bar that checks all the marks. The Sony Z9f with Rears is in strong contention from the standpoint I have a Sony 900F TV. Seems like it would be good to keep all Sony components. But the reviews seem mixed. Some people make it sound like this bar is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and I've seen numerous reviews that are underwhelmed by it too. I like the fact it has 2 HDMI inputs so I could get full sound out of both a 4K player and my Apple TV 4K.

Nakamichi is in consideration as well. Good price point, numerous connections. I just don't love the look and my room isn't set up the best to have the sub in the rear of the living room. The wireless sub on the Sony and being able to place it in the front of the room is more ideal. How is Nakamichi's virtual Atmos compared to Sony's?

I see JBL is out with an intriguing new Atmos bar. Don't like that it only has 1 HDMI connection (in addition to the ARC)

Waiting to hear the reviews on Vizio's new Elevate system. I hope it's released soon.

Is Atmos really worth it given the specs of my room? Am I making too much of a deal about it? If so, would I be better off with a regular 5.1 system as opposed to an Atmos system? Would I be better off with a Bose type system?

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-15-2020, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am in the same situation room wise except my ceilings are 9 ft. I took a chance and got the HK Enchant 1300 with sub on sale. You can check out the two threads on it. The Citation series is also on sale and your can get a bundle that includes sub and surrounds. Both are 5.1. I listened to the HW-Q70R in store today and I would say the soundstage expansion was pretty good, and it was neat to hear some height effects, but the dialogue did not sound as clear as the Enchant. Interestingly I also listened to the Bose 700 and to me the soundstage did not sound nearly as expansive as the Enchant. I think the clarity was on par but it lacked the authority and the expansiveness.

If your budget allows, there is also the Sony HT-ST5000.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page