Samsung Q800T Dolby Atmos/DTS X Soundbar - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 36 Old 05-30-2020, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Samsung Q800T Dolby Atmos/DTS X Soundbar

Wow, bought from Crutchfield yesterday and delivered in less than 24 hrs, great job! Attaching pic , setting up and will report on quality and setup tomorrow. I am pairing it with a 75Q800T tv.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9DE8AAB3-542D-4A74-9A18-6B6EEE8F12A1_1590876555223.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	2734788  
tigertim likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 06-02-2020, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

2 days in and very impressed with soundbar. I also just received the 75q800t 8k tv and the soundbar integrates with it seamlessly with QSymphony. The soundbar expands the soundstage by using the 6 speakers on the tv to add quite a bit. Using just the soundbar is great but once tv speakers are utilized, the sound is excellent.
Wow can this setup deliver some thump and excellent surround and overhead effects. I have tested on multiple 4K DVDs and 4K digital movies. Avengers Endgame was amazing with bullets zipping overhead, explosions all around and still able to clearly hear the dialog. Mad Max Fury Road was simply OMG, I had to turn down because it was so aggressive and I feared neighbors would complain.
Let me know if you have any questions. So far a huge winner.
post #3 of 36 Old 06-04-2020, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Have you experienced any issue with LPCM 2.0 audio?

I have been noticing that there is an audio cut off at the beginning of LPCM 2.0 audio. It's like the soundbar takes awhile to process the sound and that leads to about 0.5s of audio lost at the beginning.

It's easily reproducible and I have not been able to find a fix. Weird that Dolby and DTS 2.0 audio don't have this issue at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 06-05-2020, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

What are you running through soundbar so I can test it?
post #5 of 36 Old 06-05-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooiez123 View Post
Any LPCM 2.0 audio source will do. You can compare the start of the audio on Blu-ray with the audio of the show on Netflix. Notice how the blu-ray audio has the first ~0.5s missing.

I think PS4 is also testable by switching the audio output between LPCM and Bitstream and compare.
post #6 of 36 Old 06-05-2020, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I really need some advise. I am new to sound bars. I bought a Q60T bar to use with my Q90T TV. I have my cable box, Blu-Ray player and PS4 in 3 of the TVs HDMI ports and a switcher for my Nintendo Switch and classic game console in the 4th port. I'm using optical to connect the bar. I'm contemplating returning the Q60T bar for a Q70T or Q800T bar for Atmos and DTS X. Of course, I'd need to use EARC for this. So can I plug the Blu-Ray player into the sound bar, then the sound bar into the ARC port, and finally the other devices into the TVs ports? Or do I need to get an expensive switcher or receiver?
post #7 of 36 Old 06-06-2020, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat1eat View Post
Quote:
Any LPCM 2.0 audio source will do. You can compare the start of the audio on Blu-ray with the audio of the show on Netflix. Notice how the blu-ray audio has the first ~0.5s missing.

I think PS4 is also testable by switching the audio output between LPCM and Bitstream and compare.
I was not able to reproduce this with my PS4 pro.
post #8 of 36 Old 06-10-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I was not able to reproduce this with my PS4 pro.
How about Nintendo Switch? Does the menu sound output properly for you?
post #9 of 36 Old 06-10-2020, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I do not have one to try.
post #10 of 36 Old 06-10-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I do not have one to try.
For PS4, did you try the PSN store? I noticed the store button sound was missing while the system main menu sounds are normal.
post #11 of 36 Old 06-10-2020, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone notice lack of bass when playing music video via Youtube or streaming music via Bluetooth (iphone)?
post #12 of 36 Old 06-10-2020, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 65
LPCM 5.1 and TrueHD/DTSMA

Has anyone been able to get multichannel PCM to work via eARC? I’ve tried Chromecast Ultra and get only Stereo LPCM. Same with my PC with Radeon card. I also haven’t been able to get TrueHD or DTSMA to work from the PC via eARC. Haven’t had a chance to try another source that is capable of either of these yet.

If you have been able to get any to work, let me know your TV and source device please!
post #13 of 36 Old 06-11-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager6868 View Post
Has anyone been able to get multichannel PCM to work via eARC? I’ve tried Chromecast Ultra and get only Stereo LPCM. Same with my PC with Radeon card. I also haven’t been able to get TrueHD or DTSMA to work from the PC via eARC. Haven’t had a chance to try another source that is capable of either of these yet.

If you have been able to get any to work, let me know your TV and source device please!
Have you tried LPCM with Nintendo Switch menu audio and PSN store audio?

I think there might be a bigger problem with LPCM in general.
post #14 of 36 Old 06-11-2020, 11:43 AM

I've tried with the Switch today, and there are issues with the menu audio when using eARC (I didn't try connecting the Switch directly to the soundbar). I don't hear clicks when I move between items. Also confirmed that Surround audio does not work, only Stereo. So, my combination of Q80T and this soundbar definitely does not support multichannel PCM over eARC right now.

Edit: Also tested with the Switch to the soundbar HDMI In, and same behavior with the menu sounds, but multichannel works properly.

Here's a summary of what seems to work so far:

1. I can get DD, DD+, TrueHD, TrueHD with Atmos all to work properly via eARC. There seems to be a quirk with my Radeon card where it will not send TrueHD to the TV unless I override the EDID to say that the TV has 8 speakers. I cannot get any DTS streams to work over eARC (maybe a limitation of the Q80T TV?)

2. I cannot get multichannel PCM to work via eARC (unclear if this is the Q80T TV or soundbar's issue). Even if I override the EDID, only the front left and front right channels will produce audio when sending multichannel PCM. Multichannel PCM does work properly if connecting directly to the soundbar's HDMI input. From my understanding the LG C9 and CX have the same issue, with a fix in the works.

Last edited by voyager6868; 06-11-2020 at 03:42 PM.
post #15 of 36 Old 06-11-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I've tried with the Switch today, and there are issues with the menu audio when using eARC (I didn't try connecting the Switch directly to the soundbar). I don't hear clicks when I move between items. Also confirmed that Surround audio does not work, only Stereo. So, my combination of Q80T and this soundbar definitely does not support multichannel PCM over eARC right now.
I don't think it's a eARC specific issue. I have been connecting devices directly to the soundbar.

I noticed that it's not LPCM audio not outputting, but rather the soundbar takes awhile to process the audio. This leads to "short" audio such as menu sounds getting dropped completely.

This is evidenced by LPCM blu-rays missing about 0.5s at the start.
post #16 of 36 Old 06-11-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I don't think it's a eARC specific issue. I have been connecting devices directly to the soundbar.

I noticed that it's not LPCM audio not outputting, but rather the soundbar takes awhile to process the audio. This leads to "short" audio such as menu sounds getting dropped completely.

Yes, agreed. The menu sound issue seems to be due to some latency in the soundbar switching to the right mode to output, and results in cutting out the start of the sound. As I edited above, I also see this both direct to soundbar and via eARC.
post #17 of 36 Old 06-12-2020, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like what happens with my Apple TV on the home screen with my Sony soundbar. (Z9F)
post #18 of 36 Old 06-15-2020, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I have had one of these for about 5 days. Sound is good. Mine went wonky, and would only output surround portion, no center or left and right channel. I thought it was a setting issue with the TV, but after unplugging the sound bar for a minute, it reset itself.

One issue... before the glitch, it don’t recall seeing the red pilot light all the time while the sound bar is on. Now it never goes off. It that normal behavior?
post #19 of 36 Old 06-17-2020, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Does anyone know if the Q800T becomes a true 5.1.2 if you buy the optional rears? Or will you have an issue with the Atmos height effects not outputting from the speakers on top of the soundbar? I thought I read somewhere that was an issue with previous Samsung or Sony soundbars.
post #20 of 36 Old 06-19-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoguy60467 View Post
I have had one of these for about 5 days. Sound is good. Mine went wonky, and would only output surround portion, no center or left and right channel. I thought it was a setting issue with the TV, but after unplugging the sound bar for a minute, it reset itself.

One issue... before the glitch, it don’t recall seeing the red pilot light all the time while the sound bar is on. Now it never goes off. It that normal behavior?
Red light means that the Mic is disabled. If you want the light off, you need to press the right-most "button" on the top of the soundbar, which will turn the mic back on.
post #21 of 36 Old 06-21-2020, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Red light means that the Mic is disabled. If you want the light off, you need to press the right-most "button" on the top of the soundbar, which will turn the mic back on.
That worked. Thanks.
Another question: Should my cable box be set to Dolby Digital, or “other”, which is PCM.
I have lip sync issues when using Dolby output, and they mostly are good using PCM.
I’d assume that the sounbar will do a better job of spatial imaging by using Dolby Digital as the output.
I don’t currently have the wireless rear speakers, but I may add them.
post #22 of 36 Old 06-27-2020, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

Edit: Also tested with the Switch to the soundbar HDMI In, and same behavior with the menu sounds, but multichannel works properly.

Here's a summary of what seems to work so far:

1. I can get DD, DD+, TrueHD, TrueHD with Atmos all to work properly via eARC. There seems to be a quirk with my Radeon card where it will not send TrueHD to the TV unless I override the EDID to say that the TV has 8 speakers. I cannot get any DTS streams to work over eARC (maybe a limitation of the Q80T TV?)

2. I cannot get multichannel PCM to work via eARC (unclear if this is the Q80T TV or soundbar's issue). Even if I override the EDID, only the front left and front right channels will produce audio when sending multichannel PCM. Multichannel PCM does work properly if connecting directly to the soundbar's HDMI input. From my understanding the LG C9 and CX have the same issue, with a fix in the works.

I have the CX and Q90T and with the Samsung HW q80r sound bar I can pass all lossless via eARC on the CX including multi channel PCM from PS4 PRO but i cannot using the Q90T tv which is the issue. It is not the soundbar and not the LG CX as it works perfect with eARC the issue is the damm Samsung Q90t tv
tigertim likes this.
post #23 of 36 Old 06-27-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 View Post
I have the CX and Q90T and with the Samsung HW q80r sound bar I can pass all lossless via eARC on the CX including multi channel PCM from PS4 PRO but i cannot using the Q90T tv which is the issue. It is not the soundbar and not the LG CX as it works perfect with eARC the issue is the damm Samsung Q90t tv
Looks like multichannel PCM eARC issue is related to the Samsung TV.

However, the PCM audio cut-off is definitely a Q800T soundbar issue. Has anyone been able to find a workaround? It's getting pretty frustrating and the issue creeps up in games as well.
post #24 of 36 Old 07-04-2020, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Dolby digital sound delay from cable

I have a Samsung 85Q80T TV, and the 800T soundbar.

I updated the firmware on the soundbar, and it seems to have improved some of the weird behavior I had previously.
One issue was having the soundbar only output "surround" info. In other words no normal left, right or center channel content. That one has not popped up again since the firmware update. HDMI CEC usually turns the soundbar on now, when it rarely did prior to the update. It still misses sometimes.

One issue that persists, is that if by Altice One cable box is set to output Dolby Digital sound vs. PCM, the sound is delayed out of sync with the picture. Adjusting delay on the TV or the soundbar makes the issue worse, since it delays the sound further. If I switch to PCM, the sync is ok. It's also OK when only playing sound from the TV speaker.

Are others hearing the same issue?
post #25 of 36 Old 07-04-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I have a Samsung 85Q80T TV, and the 800T soundbar.

I updated the firmware on the soundbar, and it seems to have improved some of the weird behavior I had previously.
One issue was having the soundbar only output "surround" info. In other words no normal left, right or center channel content. That one has not popped up again since the firmware update. HDMI CEC usually turns the soundbar on now, when it rarely did prior to the update. It still misses sometimes.

One issue that persists, is that if by Altice One cable box is set to output Dolby Digital sound vs. PCM, the sound is delayed out of sync with the picture. Adjusting delay on the TV or the soundbar makes the issue worse, since it delays the sound further. If I switch to PCM, the sync is ok. It's also OK when only playing sound from the TV speaker.

Are others hearing the same issue?
I have the same TV (Q80T) and soundbar. Have you enabled HDMI-eARC in the Expert Settings of the Sound menu on the TV (set it to "Auto" rather than "off"? If so, you should see "eARC" show up on the soundbar's display. It seems that many people have issues with Samsung TVs are ARC with audio delay, but with eARC, my experience is that the audio sync is excellent.

On a related note, I would also suggest setting the delay in the same settings menu on the TV to "0" rather than the default of "100" if you are using bitstream audio. It seems that the TV automatically adjusts the delay based on the TV's processing time. However, for PCM, the TV does not, so you have to set a manual delay if using PCM (anywhere between 70 and 100 ms).
post #26 of 36 Old 07-04-2020, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have the same TV (Q80T) and soundbar. Have you enabled HDMI-eARC in the Expert Settings of the Sound menu on the TV (set it to "Auto" rather than "off"? If so, you should see "eARC" show up on the soundbar's display. It seems that many people have issues with Samsung TVs are ARC with audio delay, but with eARC, my experience is that the audio sync is excellent.

On a related note, I would also suggest setting the delay in the same settings menu on the TV to "0" rather than the default of "100" if you are using bitstream audio. It seems that the TV automatically adjusts the delay based on the TV's processing time. However, for PCM, the TV does not, so you have to set a manual delay if using PCM (anywhere between 70 and 100 ms).
Good suggestions, but yes to eARC, no delay, etc...
Perhaps this could be an issue with my cable, but... using a Vizio TV and Sony receiver, no sync issues.
My internal apps seem to be fine too. YouTube and Amazon are fine.
post #27 of 36 Old 07-05-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Good suggestions, but yes to eARC, no delay, etc...
Perhaps this could be an issue with my cable, but... using a Vizio TV and Sony receiver, no sync issues.
My internal apps seem to be fine too. YouTube and Amazon are fine.
One more thing. Do you have Digital Output Audio Format set to either Auto or PCM? If so, try setting to Passthrough. This shaves off about 200ms in audio delay for me (Mine is set to Passthrough--forgot to mention in my earlier post). Note that if you're currently sending Atmos audio, this setting won't be available, so switch to an audio source that is not Atmos to set this.

Interestingly, even if eARC is set to "Off", the passthrough setting makes this same difference of 200ms, so it should be set to Passthrough regardless of what you pick for eARC.

I see about a 250ms delay when using "Auto", and about 50ms with Passthrough.
post #28 of 36 Old 07-05-2020, 07:36 PM

Recently noticed a new audio cut off issue with the soundbar and it's been happening to both Bitstream and PCM. The cut off is only 0.5s-1s and if I rewind and play the same portion again, the audio is fine.
Also noticed this in games as well.

Anyone else experienced this?

It's really frustrating to use this soundbar with so many problems. Have a really low opinion on Samsung now.
post #29 of 36 Old 07-06-2020, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
One more thing. Do you have Digital Output Audio Format set to either Auto or PCM? If so, try setting to Passthrough. This shaves off about 200ms in audio delay for me (Mine is set to Passthrough--forgot to mention in my earlier post). Note that if you're currently sending Atmos audio, this setting won't be available, so switch to an audio source that is not Atmos to set this.

Interestingly, even if eARC is set to "Off", the passthrough setting makes this same difference of 200ms, so it should be set to Passthrough regardless of what you pick for eARC.

I see about a 250ms delay when using "Auto", and about 50ms with Passthrough.
A good suggestion, but yes, I’m using pass through.
I wonder if it’s something specific to this cable box. I am in Conroe, TX. My provider is Suddenlink Altice One platform.
They are a mixed bag. I have 3 4K TVs that can’t get 4K output to be a selectable option on their boxes. When I get time, I may call them and see if they have run into this.
post #30 of 36 Old 07-08-2020, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

An update on the sync issue.
I updated the Q80T to the new firmware last night, and so far, the sound sync with Cable set to Dolby Output issue seems to be solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page