Samsung HW-Q70R Atmos support - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-03-2020, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Samsung HW-Q70R Atmos support

I have one of these soundbars and am puzzled by its Atmos support.

I have it connected to an Amazon Firestick 4K and a Kodi device that can play DTS-HD and TrueHD.

I never thought about it before but then I read the manual that said if playing an Atmos track, Dolby Atmos scrolls across the display.

I have a few movies with Atmos, some with DD+ and some with TrueHD. I discovered if I play a track with DD+ and Atmos, the display shows Atmos. But if it's TrueHD and Atmos nothing shows up. The Amazon Firestick must be able to play TrueHD since I can hear audio when I play content via its Plex client talking to my Plex server which is set not to transcode content.

So is this a limitation of the Soundbar - only Atmos with DD+ which is probably the most common Atmos streaming format?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-14-2020, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post
I have one of these soundbars and am puzzled by its Atmos support.

I have it connected to an Amazon Firestick 4K and a Kodi device that can play DTS-HD and TrueHD.

I never thought about it before but then I read the manual that said if playing an Atmos track, Dolby Atmos scrolls across the display.

I have a few movies with Atmos, some with DD+ and some with TrueHD. I discovered if I play a track with DD+ and Atmos, the display shows Atmos. But if it's TrueHD and Atmos nothing shows up. The Amazon Firestick must be able to play TrueHD since I can hear audio when I play content via its Plex client talking to my Plex server which is set not to transcode content.

So is this a limitation of the Soundbar - only Atmos with DD+ which is probably the most common Atmos streaming format?
OK to answer my query. Turns out that my Kodi device (which was a Pi3) cannot bitstream lossless audio and was converting it to PCM. So while there was no audio loss, all the metadata for Atmos was lost. Replaced it with Odroid C2 running Kodi and Plex client and now when playing Atmos content (and DTS:X) content, the soundbar displays Atmos or DTS:x. Nice! Now wondering if I should invest in the optional rear speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page