HDfury ARCANA -- eARC adapter for Sonos ARC and Bose 700 Soundbars - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84Likes

post #1 of 161 Old 06-14-2020, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 69
HDfury ARCANA -- eARC adapter for Sonos ARC and Bose 700 Soundbars

======================================
Pre-orders are now being taken:
https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

======================================

Just wanted to start a thread here where HDFury can post updates regarding their device for the Sonos ARC that's mentioned here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vi...l#post59799328
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
Ok, you guys won ! all those who spammed our mailbox about SONOS eARC soundbar solution, WON it all !

Here is just a quick update to let you know that we managed to feed SONOS eARC soundbar with full audio from HDMI sources.
Confirmed in Labs, proto design underway.

Another World 1st

Full Audio & Atmos from any HDMI sources straight to SONOS eARC soundbar and well it sounds really good !
Do not bother our guys by email please, just wait further update, thanx.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vi...l#post59805972
Quote:
We are making a dongle that can be used with any splitter or any of our devices.

Note: You do not need to use a HDfury Vertex 2. You can use a different brand HDMI Matrix such as the Monoprice Blackbird 39667.

Last edited by Synomenon; 06-30-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 161 Old 06-14-2020, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5675 Post(s)
Liked: 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synomenon View Post
Just wanted to start a thread here where HDFury can post updates regarding their device for the Sonos ARC that's mentioned here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vi...l#post59799328

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vi...l#post59805972
Thank you for setting up this thread, we have posted proof of concept video of our solution in our discord support server, channel : straight from the labs (link: https://discord.gg/XWzPRRP )

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.

Last edited by HDfury; 06-15-2020 at 06:04 PM.
post #3 of 161 Old 06-14-2020, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Glad to hear that but to be frank Sonos messed it up by featuring just one eARC port and leaving the consumers at the mercy of TV:'s eARC capabilities

When you are already spending top $$, Sonos should have got the basics right.

Sonos threads are similar to Bose and Apple threads. On one side, consumers unconditionally love their products but on the other side potential buyers who are not used to such closed ecosystems are really put off by the lack of basic features.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Synomenon and cowboyatthisway like this.

Panasonic DX-902B 4K HDR / 3D TV, Epson TW-9400W PRO 4K UHD / 3D (6050UBe) Projector, LG SN11RG 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos / DTS-X Soundbar, Benq EW3270U 4K HDR monitor, Panasonic UB820 (Dolby Vision/HDR10+), FireTV 4K Stick and Vero 4K+ OSMC 4K HDR / 3D Media Player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 161 Old 06-14-2020, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lganz316 View Post
Glad to hear that but to be frank Sonos messed it up by featuring just one eARC port and leaving the consumers at the mercy of TV:'s eARC capabilities

Sonos threads are similar to Bose and Apple threads. On one side, consumers unconditionally love their products but on the other side potential buyers who are not used to such closed ecosystems are really put off by the lack of basic features.

Actually it is a clever move from them, not really for the consumers.
No video to handle, no hdcp fee and related hdmi issues, no cable issues, etc.. but then you are limited to eARC TV only, no PJ or monitor owners possible and very limited purpose on ARC 5.1 TV, anyway, solution is done and working, so just need time to get it out.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
post #5 of 161 Old 06-14-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Actually it is a clever move from them, not really for the consumers.

No video to handle, no hdcp fee and related hdmi issues, no cable issues, etc.. but then you are limited to eARC TV only, no PJ or monitor owners possible and very limited purpose on ARC 5.1 TV, anyway, solution is done and working, so just need time to get it out.
A classic reply which I should have anticipated in a Sonos thread lol.

Panasonic DX-902B 4K HDR / 3D TV, Epson TW-9400W PRO 4K UHD / 3D (6050UBe) Projector, LG SN11RG 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos / DTS-X Soundbar, Benq EW3270U 4K HDR monitor, Panasonic UB820 (Dolby Vision/HDR10+), FireTV 4K Stick and Vero 4K+ OSMC 4K HDR / 3D Media Player.
post #6 of 161 Old 06-14-2020, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A classic reply which I should have anticipated in a Sonos thread lol.

I'm not sure you will read any of that in any sonos thread since we spent last 2 weeks explaining to SONOS owners that they have an HDMI OUTPUT on their soundbar and that goes to a TV HDMI INPUT , which then allow sonos to retrieve the sound by using ARC/eARC , where the "R" means RETURN and that's why sound flow backward..
They all believed they had a HDMI input cause it can accept sound... so many mislead-ed users so far and we also had many who ordered our current devices expecting that our AUDIO HDMI OUTPUT would feed another OUTPUT (which they believed was an INPUT). As a company we already paid a high price from this confusion in restocking unit, refunding and loss on shipping cost, etc...

post #7 of 161 Old 06-15-2020, 02:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked: 1137
Somebody might have beaten HDFury to market. I have never used this company or product so I know nothing about it but some posted it in another thread. We do use HDFury products at work and I have an HDFury Diva in my system for HDR to SDR conversion with an older projection and have always had good luck with them.
https://www.amazon.com/Thenaudio-SHA.../dp/B083QPCNQN
post #8 of 161 Old 06-15-2020, 06:44 AM

Red face

Quote:
I'm not sure you will read any of that in any sonos thread since we spent last 2 weeks explaining to SONOS owners that they have an HDMI OUTPUT on their soundbar and that goes to a TV HDMI INPUT , which then allow sonos to retrieve the sound by using ARC/eARC , where the "R" means RETURN and that's why sound flow backward..
They all believed they had a HDMI input cause it can accept sound... so many mislead-ed users so far and we also had many who ordered our current devices expecting that our AUDIO HDMI OUTPUT would feed another OUTPUT (which they believed was an INPUT). As a company we already paid a high price from this confusion in restocking unit, refunding and loss on shipping cost, etc...
I didn't meant to gaslight anyone but all I was pointing is the lack of basic feature like a HDMI input in the year 2020 which is a good news for HDFury.

post #9 of 161 Old 06-15-2020, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
Somebody might have beaten HDFury to market. I have never used this company or product so I know nothing about it but some posted it in another thread. We do use HDFury products at work and I have an HDFury Diva in my system for HDR to SDR conversion with an older projection and have always had good luck with them.
I think this requires an eARC port on the TV side, but I may be mistaken. (The opposite our our "problem")
Synomenon and HDfury like this.

Last edited by slopokdave; 06-15-2020 at 06:52 AM.
post #10 of 161 Old 06-15-2020, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopokdave View Post
I think this requires an eARC port on the TV side, but I may be mistaken. (The opposite our our "problem")
Just heard from customer support at Thenaudio regarding the Sharc. Confirmed that it will NOT solve this issue. Bummer...
Synomenon likes this.
post #11 of 161 Old 06-15-2020, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is just eARC extraction to sound system input, all our latest devices : Diva/Vertex2/Maestro already have similar feature since nearly 2 years now, not only for eARC/ARC but also for any HDMI source at inputs, they extract all possible audio from source or sink and forward to audio out to feed an AVR input.

What you need for SONOS is that:

ANY DEVICE OUTPUT (source, splitter, hdfury) > HDMI cable > DEVICE INPUT | "Digital Magic happens here" | simulated eARC TV INPUT < HDMI cable < SONOS OUTPUT

This did not exist in HDMI until we made it, normally in HDMI you cannot connect OUTPUT to OUTPUT or INPUT to INPUT, so the challenge was to allow a device output to connect to sonos output and for this you need a device in between with 2 inputs, one normal HDMI input and one kind of simulated TV eARC input for SONOS to retrieve eARC from it.

Last edited by HDfury; 06-15-2020 at 04:52 PM.
post #12 of 161 Old 06-16-2020, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Great effort HDfury team! Being quite green in this field I am not sure I understand all the bits and bobs correctly. Could you please clarify whats the bare minimum I will need to get for Atmos to work on Sonos Arc. I got atv4k, Sonos Arc, projector with HDMI ARC, old cheap HDMI cables.
Understand that this will take some time to get out on the market considering its still a prototype in your lab. Have you got a rough idea when we could see it being released? Thanks in advance
Synomenon likes this.
post #13 of 161 Old 06-16-2020, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by vk90 View Post
Great effort HDfury team! Being quite green in this field I am not sure I understand all the bits and bobs correctly. Could you please clarify whats the bare minimum I will need to get for Atmos to work on Sonos Arc. I got atv4k, Sonos Arc, projector with HDMI ARC, old cheap HDMI cables.
Understand that this will take some time to get out on the market considering its still a prototype in your lab. Have you got a rough idea when we could see it being released? Thanks in advance
This is such a great effort by the HDFury team and will be solving many peoples challenges around eARC. I use a projector and a tv (with no eARC) and it is really annoying not being able to use it the way I want to.

Ignore lganz316 negativ comments, that should be directed towards Sonos, not at someone that is trying to fix what many of us agree they messed up.
post #14 of 161 Old 06-16-2020, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I just stumbled upon this thread after realizing that I will be short one of the two HDMI ports I have on my new tv (Sony 900H). The Sonos Arc will take up the eArc port which is one of the HDMI 2.1 ones. I plan on getting both next gen consoles so I wanted to use both of the available HDMI 2.1 ports for them. So basically with this dongle, I would plug it into the tv (on any hdmi port), then hdmi to the sonos arc? Then this would give me Full Audio and Atmos to all of my devices? I wasn't sure if I understood it correctly since it wouldn't be on the normal eArc port.
post #15 of 161 Old 06-16-2020, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk90 View Post
We will tell you soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherspacesong View Post
I just stumbled upon this thread after realizing that I will be short one of the two HDMI ports I have on my new tv (Sony 900H). The Sonos Arc will take up the eArc port which is one of the HDMI 2.1 ones. I plan on getting both next gen consoles so I wanted to use both of the available HDMI 2.1 ports for them. So basically with this dongle, I would plug it into the tv (on any hdmi port), then hdmi to the sonos arc? Then this would give me Full Audio and Atmos to all of my devices? I wasn't sure if I understood it correctly since it wouldn't be on the normal eArc port.
If you have an eARC TV then you don't need this solution, this is made for people without eARC TV which is where there is a problem getting SONSO ARC to work.
Also there is no way to extract eARC or ARC if you are not connected to eARC or ARC port on a eARC or ARC TV.

In your case you can multiply input ports on your TV using 2.1 switcher or splitter when they come out.
ChazzMatt and cowboyatthisway like this.

post #16 of 161 Old 06-16-2020, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
We will tell you soon.

If you have an eARC TV then you don't need this solution, this is made for people without eARC TV which is where there is a problem getting SONSO ARC to work.
Also there is no way to extract eARC or ARC if you are not connected to eARC or ARC port on a eARC or ARC TV.

In your case you can multiply input ports on your TV using 2.1 switcher or splitter when they come out.

Thank you for the explanation! Now I understand!
post #17 of 161 Old 06-16-2020, 08:58 AM

@HDfury ,

Are you planning to feature transcoding of DTS to DD?

post #18 of 161 Old 06-16-2020, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@HDfury ,

Are you planning to feature transcoding of DTS to DD?
No, no audio format manipulation possible, if anything like that needs to happen, it have to happen on SONOS. so it's up to them to add support for new format or not. we just allow the bridge.
lganz316 likes this.

post #19 of 161 Old 06-16-2020, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
@HDfury -- can you confirm/clarify how I think this will work?

Will this be something that a source (like a shield TV) plugs into that splits into passthrough/earc (so two outputs) or will it be a dongle for an output on a Vertex2 so that after the Vertex splits it the dongle just encapsulates the output stream, so one input one output?

Thanks!
post #20 of 161 Old 06-16-2020, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
@HDfury long time lurker to the AVS forum (and user of your products) but just registered to comment on this as I’m genuinely really excited for this.

Just read in another comment you made that this solution won’t convert audio, which isn’t necessary with the Sonos Arc (as long as you play all Dolby Audio). But have you thought of making a device in the future that could convert DD to DTS or DTS:X to Atmos?

Sadly, a lot of the Atmos soundbars (not only So os) don’t support the DTS / DTS:X format (and even LG removed support for DTS on the new X series Oleds)... and while a receiver is usually the way to go for a home theater (at least in my opinion) there are some areas where a system like the Sonos Arc or others are what you need for flexibility.

Anyhow, looking forward to follow this tread and buy this new solution!
post #21 of 161 Old 06-17-2020, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando Mier View Post
@HDfury long time lurker to the AVS forum (and user of your products) but just registered to comment on this as I’m genuinely really excited for this.

Just read in another comment you made that this solution won’t convert audio, which isn’t necessary with the Sonos Arc (as long as you play all Dolby Audio). But have you thought of making a device in the future that could convert DD to DTS or DTS:X to Atmos?

Sadly, a lot of the Atmos soundbars (not only So os) don’t support the DTS / DTS:X format (and even LG removed support for DTS on the new X series Oleds)... and while a receiver is usually the way to go for a home theater (at least in my opinion) there are some areas where a system like the Sonos Arc or others are what you need for flexibility.

I think this more compliment their other products. What you seem to want to be able to control is something, to my understanding, products like Vertex 2 can do. That and including forcing Dolby Vision to projectors etc.
HDfury likes this.
post #22 of 161 Old 06-17-2020, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferai View Post

Will this be something that a source (like a shield TV) plugs into that splits into passthrough/earc (so two outputs) or will it be a dongle for an output on a Vertex2 so that after the Vertex splits it the dongle just encapsulates the output stream, so one input one output?

Thanks!
I'm confused as to how this works as well.

HDfury, is this right?

TV eARC HDMI port -> Vertex2 output 1
Sonos ARC's HDMI port -> New HDFury device for Sonos ARC -> Vertex2 output 2
Vertex2 HDMI inputs -> Source devices (UHD BD player, streaming media players, video game consoles, etc.)

Last edited by Synomenon; 06-17-2020 at 04:03 AM.
post #23 of 161 Old 06-17-2020, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Apple is not remotely closed. Explain how an Apple laptop prevents you from doing anything you want. Also comparing them to speaker companies makes no sense.
post #24 of 161 Old 06-17-2020, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!

HDfury, is this right?

Vertex2 HDMI inputs -> Source devices (UHD BD player, streaming media players, video game consoles, etc.)
To be clear, this is _not_ the setup I have, so I would need it to work differently. My TV doesn't have eARC so I would not need the TV to be passing anything back, I would need something -- either this dongle or Vertex2 plus dongle, that's my main question -- to go from a source and send to a normal HDMI input on the TV and separately send audio to the sound bar in an eARC compatible way.
post #25 of 161 Old 06-17-2020, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!
It is a dongle that you can use directly at source output IF and ONLY IF source have AUDIO OUT (such as UHD BR player, etc...)

You can use it at any splitter output (from us or not) if source does not have any audio out or if you need to accommodate several sources

If you have ARC TV and also wants to retrieve TV APPS sound as well as full audio from external HDMI sources, then you can do it by inserting that dongle at Vertex2/Diva/Maestro audio out or any device that are capable of retrieving ARC from TV and splitting HDMI source (i'm not aware of any apart our own, but who knows...internet is big after all)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando Mier View Post

There is a few things we can do for audio but now it is way too early to talk about any of that, but generally speaking most of audio format manipulation stuff are not available to us because they require dolby licence and they are not selling such licence to small company like us
This is why there is a real lack of such device as you suggested on the market.

Quote:

HDfury, is this right?

Yes that is correct, make sure you connect it at AUDIO OUT if you want FULL AUDIO from external HDMI sources as well as TV APPS from TV to your SONOS ARC.
If you use it at TX1 output, you will only get full audio from HDMI sources. (and in this case, you can use it with any splitter out there)

Quote:
Actually i was not aware of it when i replied (my answer is correct thus) but this device is made by our dev team thru their own experimental/personal shop (thenaudio.com)
Feel free to visit them and see what they will have to offer in the future, some advanced and tricky solution might pop up there first before getting rolled out in commercial design later on HDfury.com

Quote:
To be clear, this is _not_ the setup I have, so I would need it to work differently. My TV doesn't have eARC so I would not need the TV to be passing anything back, I would need something -- either this dongle or Vertex2 plus dongle, that's my main question -- to go from a source and send to a normal HDMI input on the TV and separately send audio to the sound bar in an eARC compatible way.
Once again if you need to retrieve TV ARC and have full audio from external source, then you need to use that dongle at Vertex2/Diva/Maestro audio out. (or any others device that are capable of doing that, but i'm not aware of any...)
If you only need to retrieve full audio from external HDMI source,then you can use it at the output of any splitter (including any of our one: Integral2/Vertex1/Vertex2/Diva/Maestro or even AVR Key ! and even Integral1 if some still have one around !)
If you only need to retrieve full audio from external HDMI source that already have audio out, then you don't need anything, just connect the dongle at your source audio output and then to SONOS ARC.

We wil post diagrams that show this more visually and clearly soon.

In the meantime, attached is first PCB drawing (not yet final), courtesy of our dev team.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	first.png
Views:	106
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	2744192  
Drait, Dave_O and Synomenon like this.

Last edited by HDfury; 06-21-2020 at 07:18 AM.
post #26 of 161 Old 06-18-2020, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

TV remote volume control

Some users raised concern about volume control from TV remote (or any remote)
From one of our discord member who posted the below link, SONOS ARC have IR learning capabilities so you can use any remote directly with it including your TV remote for volume control

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/...%20the%20front

post #27 of 161 Old 06-18-2020, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Are there any recommendations for a simple 4K / HDR splitter (no video processing) that will work with this without HDMI handshake issues?
post #28 of 161 Old 06-18-2020, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post
Are there any recommendations for a simple 4K / HDR splitter (no video processing) that will work with this without HDMI handshake issues?
I guess you can find or try some on amazon (make sure you read reviews enough and avoid any with many low reviews), from us, i would recommend Integral2/Vertex1 for up to 2 sources, or Diva/Vertex2 for up to 4 sources, Diva can also forward volume control via CEC to SONOS ARC.

However, SONOS ARC can be controlled with TV remote via IR learning, so if that is suitable solution for you, there is nothing else special to consider than finding a reliable HDMI2.0b splitter.

post #29 of 161 Old 06-18-2020, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool ARCANA - Full Audio from ANY HDMI2.0b output to SONOS ARC via eARC.

We have come to a name approval, thanx to the members that follow our progress on this SONOS ARC solution from our discord server.

Please welcome: ARCANA

Allow you to get FULL AUDIO up to ATMOS over TRUE HD from ANY HDMI external source.
Compatible with SONOS ARC/BOSE 500/BOSE 700 and any eARC only soundbar/headphones
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arcana-w.png
Views:	113
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	2745010  

post #30 of 161 Old 06-19-2020, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
We have come to a name approval, thanx to the members that follow our progress on this SONOS ARC solution from our discord server.

Please welcome: ARCANA

Allow you to get FULL AUDIO up to ATMOS over TRUE HD from ANY HDMI external source.
Compatible with SONOS ARC/BOSE 500/BOSE 700 and any eARC only soundbar/headphones
When do the pre-orders start? Count me in!
Dave_O likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page