Soundbar for a music only system - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-18-2020, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Soundbar for a music only system

When would you use a soundbar for a music only system (a small portion of my collection is 5.1)? I play my cds and sacds with a Sony UBP-X800 BR player, and am currently using a cheap Visio SB. Having a full-fledged HT system doesn't particularly interest me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-18-2020, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
When would you use a soundbar for a music only system (a small portion of my collection is 5.1)? I play my cds and sacds with a Sony UBP-X800 BR player, and am currently using a cheap Visio SB. Having a full-fledged HT system doesn't particularly interest me.
What kind of budget?
If is only music, you could do a simple 2.1 system, not a 'fully-fledged HT system'
post #3 of 7 Old 06-18-2020, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 63
As with many things, getting what's popular may get you better quality for the price. My thought is that a separate pair of speakers, a sub, and an amplifier might be more expensive for the same quality. Budget? I see soundbars discussed here for prices from $100 to almost $2000!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-18-2020, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
As with many things, getting what's popular may get you better quality for the price. My thought is that a separate pair of speakers, a sub, and an amplifier might be more expensive for the same quality. Budget? I see soundbars discussed here for prices from $100 to almost $2000!
Unless you have a budget in mind, it is hard to determine 'more expensive'. Most soundbars are designed to replicate a HT system. But you do not want that feature. So I would say , for your needs , a 2.1 or 2.0 setup would be better, AND more value for money. You may not even need a sub, depending on the speakers.

Before I moved to USA, I started out with B&W 600 bookshelf speakers, and I bought an Onkyo AVR 2nd hand on the forum. It was awesome for music, and the base was perfectly fine. I then added a sub when I started using it for more HT.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-18-2020, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonoaks View Post
Unless you have a budget in mind, it is hard to determine 'more expensive'. Most soundbars are designed to replicate a HT system. But you do not want that feature. So I would say , for your needs , a 2.1 or 2.0 setup would be better, AND more value for money. You may not even need a sub, depending on the speakers.

Before I moved to USA, I started out with B&W 600 bookshelf speakers, and I bought an Onkyo AVR 2nd hand on the forum. It was awesome for music, and the base was perfectly fine. I then added a sub when I started using it for more HT.

Same thinking. even though you may have, lets say, an SACD source material--you are best served for music by carefully selecting a pair of speakers. Yes you can play music through soundbars for sure. Its just not going to reproduce the musicial intent of your music source as well as a decent 2.0 system. If you have a budget that is low and that is what is driving your soundbar idea ( which may not be the case at all) - heck--just get a top rated bluetooth speaker and be done with it.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-18-2020, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 139
So here is an idea-

1. Dayton Audio DTA - 120BT; about $95
2. PSB Alpha P5 - $400/pair

Pretty great for music as a combination. Don't be afraid of mini-amps--they may surprise you. I own two different ones. Amazing little guys. Perfect for what you want as far as using a Sony player for your CDs. Speakers are a million pricepoints with lots of choices-- I just picked a decent choice that extends to 55 hz--which is reasonable for bookshelfs and soundbars too.

Good luck.

Last edited by Rysa4; 06-18-2020 at 08:28 PM. Reason: spelling
post #7 of 7 Old 06-18-2020, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked: 1137
I use a 2.1 system as I find sound bars simply don't compete for sound quality especially if you enjoy music. What TV do you have? This can affect your decision. The TVs that have audio/headphone outputs work great with active speakers and a sub or add the sub later. This is an easy to use set up as most active speakers turn on when they sense an audio signal and you can just use your TV remote to control the volume. Budget is also a big factor. May people like these active speakers and they have pretty good bass by themselves.
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Professio...s%2C156&sr=8-1

The sub that pairs well with it is.
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-LSR310S-P...2537431&sr=8-1

There are other active systems as well. Like sound bars prices vary quite a bit. You can get an active 2.1 set up from $300 to $$$$$. Again this only works for TVs that have analog or headphone connections. Not all TVs have those connections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page