Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 06-25-2020, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 20
JBL 9.1 Bar

I ordered one today from Crutchfield as they were in stock. Suppose to get it in four days. I will be using it in a small den that I have that I have created as my Sony Playstation VR room. Main reason I want the soundbar has that I don't have my video game system hooked up in our main living which is also a 5.1.4 system but much better Def Tech system. I did not want to have to put ceiling speakers in the Den where in the living room the space required it to come from above better to get a real Atmos effect. With the den being my playstation VR room, I wanna be able to put some true wireless speakers behind me but not have run cords everywhere. My den is also my guest room so I want to be able to clean it up without having a lot of large audio equipment around.

I will do my review basing it off my comparison of my much better/more expensive system. I also choose JBL due to them doing a better job with sub-woofers then most companies when it comes to included soundbars.

Has anyone else purchased this system and already have it setup? I have no found a forum thread about this item on here.
niccic and mugenacura like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 06-26-2020, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I have this soundbar and I have to say that I’m thoroughly impressed with this set up. Coming from separates, I wanted a minimalistic solution for my den. Don’t forget to do the calibration as indicated in the instructions. It’s quite straight forward and make sure there are no obstacles in between the sound bar/sub and the rears.

I have the rears placed on some speaker stands I found on amazon. I have them at almost 4’ high and just behind the couch. I also have Micro-USB cables for each speaker so that I could have them undocked for extended periods. Alternatively you can always dock them to get a full charge. The atmos implementation is awesome and quite immersive. The sub is really powerful and I invariably leave it at level 3.

I watched fury In 4K uhd on my Panasonic 820/ LG C9 last week and the lossless atmos/sound bubble was fantastic. The wireless feature of the rears is a real winner. I was interested in the Samsung h90r and LG Sn11 but in the end the wireless rears and the powerful sub, was the deciding factor.

Waiting for your review. Cheers!!
post #3 of 34 Old 06-27-2020, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Still waiting on mine to arrive. It shipped and coming on Tuesday. I did buy today the Sony ZF9 for our bedroom (virtualization Atmos vertical sound). Both I got due to different needs. I have an OLED TV in our bedroom that I do not want to have speakers next to us but having some elevation will help in there. My two year old decided she loves our kingsize bed so she watches movies in there sometimes, so the soundbar will make it better.

I can't wait to test the JBL thou. This is going to be my VR/Sports/Man cave so I wanted a little more punch to the sound system.

Do you have any issues with vocals being to low or no vocal boost that some have complained about? I plan to use the system to set itself up to the room size forsure and I am wondering if the people that have had issues with voices just failed to setup the speaker properly.

Review will come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 06-27-2020, 03:08 PM

The front soundstage is quite decent imho. I have had no issues with the vocals. Sounds better after calibration.
post #5 of 34 Old 06-28-2020, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
My concern would be the battery charge on the rear speakers. My son in laws buddy had the 5.1 and it did have decent sound and plenty of pop but the rear units started running out of power after a few hours.Also the batteries had to be changed by factory. Otherwise a nice unit...
post #6 of 34 Old 06-28-2020, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the JBL Bar for a week now, so far loving it but I cannot get the Dolby Atmos played on it.

My setup is

Vava UST projector, audio set as HDMI ARC / RAW.
JBL Bar 9.1 connected to Vava through HDMI ARC slot.
Fire TV 4K stick connected to Vava's HDMI slot 1

I can see and select Dolby Atmos as audio format while playing contents from Amazon Prime ( Jack Ryan season 1 for example).
But then there is no sound played on JBL.

I have to select Dolby Digital as the sound format to get the sound on Jbl.
HMDI cable I am using is 4K streaming quality one's.

Anyone facing this issue? I would appreciate any input on getting this sorted?

Will replacing Fire TV 4K stick with an Nvidia Shield TV Pro sort out this issue?
post #7 of 34 Old 06-29-2020, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

optical Audio

My system is coming tomorrow but I am curious if Atmos can be pushed via optical port? I just realized that I have my Arc being used currently by one of the systems I have and taking it out will cause all types of issues. I looked through the manual and I am either missing it or it doesn't say if Atmos is via HDMI arc only or optical as well.

P.S. Mohan, I sadly don't remember where I read it but in my search for reviews for this before I purchased it someone else was also having issues with Atmos via fire stick with this soundbar they switched to the Nvidia shield and it fixed it. Sucks that you have to do all that though.
post #8 of 34 Old 06-29-2020, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Sharky77uk
· 20 days ago

I finally figured out Atmos on the Nvidia shield. If you go into sound and video settings, then advanced sound settings, and turn off the Dolby sound processing setting, you should get Atmos. That Dolby setting should only be on if connected to a bar that can only handle Dolby digital. The bar 9.1 can handle Dolby digital, Dolby digital +, dts, and Dolby and dts lossless. No go on Fire TV, I have concluded that the JBL 9.1 doesn't support Atmos on Fire TV even though my receivers light up as Atmos when connected to the fire tv

This is what I read, it was on a review from the JBL website.
post #9 of 34 Old 06-29-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumate View Post
Sharky77uk
· 20 days ago

I finally figured out Atmos on the Nvidia shield. If you go into sound and video settings, then advanced sound settings, and turn off the Dolby sound processing setting, you should get Atmos. That Dolby setting should only be on if connected to a bar that can only handle Dolby digital. The bar 9.1 can handle Dolby digital, Dolby digital +, dts, and Dolby and dts lossless. No go on Fire TV, I have concluded that the JBL 9.1 doesn't support Atmos on Fire TV even though my receivers light up as Atmos when connected to the fire tv

This is what I read, it was on a review from the JBL website.
Thats great info, although bad news for me :-(

Regarding your qn on Atmos via optical port, my understand is NO. You need HDMI (and hence ARC) to stream the data for Atmos.
I came across an article from digitaltrends on Dolby Atmos while troubleshooting my issue (not able to post the link as I a just a beginner in this forum)
Quoting from this site

"You’ve got Atmos content on a device that can support Atmos, on a TV that can pass through Atmos, but because you’re using an optical cable instead of HDMI ARC, the TV has to down-convert the audio to Dolby Digital 5.1 (otherwise known as EAC), because optical connections cannot cope with the higher bandwidth requirements of Dolby Digital Plus."
post #10 of 34 Old 06-29-2020, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Found this

More detailed Review for this soundbar. https://www.avforums.com/reviews/jbl...r-review.17696

I am liking the prospects of this soundbar more and more.
post #11 of 34 Old 06-30-2020, 06:53 AM

Ok so I changed the Fire TV 4K stick to Nvidia shield and also my setup

Nvidia shield to JBL's HDMI-in. JBL HDMI-out to my Vava projector's HDMI slot 1. With this setup, I am getting Atmos content from Netflix. Amazon prime is still in Dolby Surround, so still looking into it.

Overall, the JBL soundbar is superb, very immersive sound even at volume level 15-16. I am afraid to go above that level, not to annoy neighbors :-)
I have watched only movies or series from Netflix or Amazon so far, but I can feel a very big difference from my old system which was a Vizio 5.1 system.

So from my experience so far, I really recommend it!
post #12 of 34 Old 06-30-2020, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone know if there is a way for this sound bar to auto sense when a device is plugged into HDMI 1 and turned on? It seems the only way I can get it to flip to the HDMI input from ARC is to manually change it with the included remote, which is a little bit of a bummer. As it turns out I have one too many devices for my LG TV, so I plug in my Nintendo Switch to the HDMI IN on the sound bar. Other sound bars I've had seemed to have handle this functionality fine, so I feel like I am doing something wrong. Thanks in advance!
post #13 of 34 Old 06-30-2020, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feed back. So right now I am in a bind. I am wondering if I should send the JBL back (it's here and haven't open it). I am curious how it perfects with non-atmos sound because I have been looking at the G700 from sony with it's virtual sound and I am wondering if I would get better use with it as most things we play aren't atmos (PSVR/PS4/Switch/TV). We watch NetFlix and 4k movies on our main system which is 5.1.4 (with legit in ceiling speakers and towers). I am wondering if the JBL upconverts non atmos into atmos with a nuetral X or something similar? I was unable to find anything that says that it does. So is it just a 5.1 system 90% of the time unless using Atmos or DTS-X source? I know I could open it up and test it but that requires a lot from my end because all my tv's are mounted and very large. Anyone owned both or have feedback on my specific issues lol.

I also like that the subwooder is a 10inch vice a 6 inch. I feel like that along is worth 150$ more
post #14 of 34 Old 07-01-2020, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
My system is coming tomorrow but I am curious if Atmos can be pushed via optical port? I just realized that I have my Arc being used currently by one of the systems I have and taking it out will cause all types of issues. I looked through the manual and I am either missing it or it doesn't say if Atmos is via HDMI arc only or optical as well.

P.S. Mohan, I sadly don't remember where I read it but in my search for reviews for this before I purchased it someone else was also having issues with Atmos via fire stick with this soundbar they switched to the Nvidia shield and it fixed it. Sucks that you have to do all that though.
Nope. Optical is limited in bandwidth. Can't do hi-res.

post #15 of 34 Old 07-01-2020, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
Nope. Optical is limited in bandwidth. Can't do hi-res.
Hi,

I do not need rears, but like the soundbar, and particularly that size sub for an all inclusive package. Can you leave the rears attached to the soundbar as extra front speakers?

Or, do you know if they do any solutions with that same sub, but without rears? thx
post #16 of 34 Old 07-01-2020, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonoaks View Post
Hi,

I do not need rears, but like the soundbar, and particularly that size sub for an all inclusive package. Can you leave the rears attached to the soundbar as extra front speakers?

Or, do you know if they do any solutions with that same sub, but without rears? thx
Did you read the manual?
Yes you can leave the rears connected to the soundbar.
I have 2 of these soundbars, 1 for the Bed Room, 1 in the Living Room.
I also have a 2-channel system in the LR but do not want to try and integrate it with video side to the detriment of 2-channel listening.

post #17 of 34 Old 07-01-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Did you read the manual?
I also have a 2-channel system in the LR but do not want to try and integrate it with video side to the detriment of 2-channel listening.
Cool, thx. No did not read it , have not bought it yet. It only just cam on my radar. The 3.1 seems to have the 10 inch sub too, which is a good size sub compares to most all-in-ones. This seems to have everything other that Atmos , but I am a bit skeptical about that whole thing anyway with any bar without rears! Looks like it is between this , the sony g700 or the new TCL 9 series (IF they email me a release date before I buy something else!) . I had the SONOS ARC on my list, but I just cannot see how that without a sub can compete with any of these others WITH a sub.
post #18 of 34 Old 07-01-2020, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Cool, thx. No did not read it , have not bought it yet. It only just cam on my radar. The 3.1 seems to have the 10 inch sub too, which is a good size sub compares to most all-in-ones. This seems to have everything other that Atmos , but I am a bit skeptical about that whole thing anyway with any bar without rears! Looks like it is between this , the sony g700 or the new TCL 9 series (IF they email me a release date before I buy something else!) . I had the SONOS ARC on my list, but I just cannot see how that without a sub can compete with any of these others WITH a sub.
Can the rear speakers be plugged in to power? If not I would never buy this as that would just be too much of a hassle.
post #19 of 34 Old 07-02-2020, 05:56 AM

The rears have micro USB ports. I have micro usb cables running on the rears whenever I need them undocked for extended periods. I know someone who leaves them permanently undocked with the micro usb cables. Personally I prefer to leave them undocked as per need. No need to have them undocked if you are merely watching news/talk shows.

They sound quite awesome even while docked to the main unit/soundbar. The front soundstage is definitely enhanced when they are docked.
post #20 of 34 Old 07-02-2020, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I just bought this and set it up a few days ago. I have been fiddling with it ever since. I am by no means an audio expert, but my god does this thing sound fantastic, especially with Dolby Atmos content.
I'm kind of blown away to be honest.
Milt99 likes this.
post #21 of 34 Old 07-03-2020, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

So I returned this without opening the box because I was concerned my older TV (OLED C6) did not support it but after installing a Sony XT-G700 I realized during that installation that it would work just fine. I am going to return the soundbar once my 9.1 arrives again. Thanks for the extra post about the sound, makes me feel much better about it being worth it. The G700 sub is garbage and that right there should of been the reasons I shouldnt of swapped them alone.
post #22 of 34 Old 07-03-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Did you read the manual?
I really think I want to get this over the Sony and SONOS.

I have a question regarding rears: my sofa is literally against the back wall and curves around the right wall , when looking at TV, so cannot use stands. That means if I mount the rear speakers, the would be no gap from back of sofa to rears and they would need to be about 6 feet up the wall, would that still work, or should I just continue looking for a solution with no rears? thx
post #23 of 34 Old 07-03-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiclakez View Post
I have this soundbar and I have to say that I’m thoroughly impressed with this set up. Coming from separates, I wanted a minimalistic solution for my den. Don’t forget to do the calibration as indicated in the instructions. It’s quite straight forward and make sure there are no obstacles in between the sound bar/sub and the rears.

I have the rears placed on some speaker stands I found on amazon. I have them at almost 4’ high and just behind the couch. I also have Micro-USB cables for each speaker so that I could have them undocked for extended periods. Alternatively you can always dock them to get a full charge. The atmos implementation is awesome and quite immersive. The sub is really powerful and I invariably leave it at level 3.

I watched fury In 4K uhd on my Panasonic 820/ LG C9 last week and the lossless atmos/sound bubble was fantastic. The wireless feature of the rears is a real winner. I was interested in the Samsung h90r and LG Sn11 but in the end the wireless rears and the powerful sub, was the deciding factor.

Waiting for your review. Cheers!!
I am looking to buy this, what speaker stands did you buy? Is it easy to attach/ unattach in order to move them to soundbar and back regularly, maybe a few times a day ? thx
post #24 of 34 Old 07-03-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
So I returned this without opening the box because I was concerned my older TV (OLED C6) did not support it but after installing a Sony XT-G700 I realized during that installation that it would work just fine. I am going to return the soundbar once my 9.1 arrives again. Thanks for the extra post about the sound, makes me feel much better about it being worth it. The G700 sub is garbage and that right there should of been the reasons I shouldnt of swapped them alone.
Thanks for all your help on this ! I think I am just about ready to pull the trigger. I spoke to wife today , and she agreed I could drop a grand on a soundbar, instead of the 4k on AVS system. I think it was the tidy factor that did it

I think I will go with the stand option that you mentioned. Previously, I was looking at $500 range, until I got the surprise approval for 1k. So, it meant a bit more investigating. How do you think this compares to the Sammy 90Q ? Seeing as they are same price right now.

One last check to do: check in TCL forum that my 6 series TV can output worthy audio via ARC.

Really odd that no Best Buy does it , will have to order on Amazon or Crutchfield.

thx !
post #25 of 34 Old 07-03-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I am looking to buy this, what speaker stands did you buy? Is it easy to attach/ unattach in order to move them to soundbar and back regularly, maybe a few times a day ? thx
This is what I have:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VRREPG...roduct_details

Attaching/detaching is very easy since they are magnetic. Very secure.
simonoaks likes this.
post #26 of 34 Old 07-04-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
You clearly did a LOT of homework. Did you look at the Samsung Q90R , as it is the same price, and if so, what made you chose the JBL?

thx
post #27 of 34 Old 07-07-2020, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I really think I want to get this over the Sony and SONOS.

I have a question regarding rears: my sofa is literally against the back wall and curves around the right wall , when looking at TV, so cannot use stands. That means if I mount the rear speakers, the would be no gap from back of sofa to rears and they would need to be about 6 feet up the wall, would that still work, or should I just continue looking for a solution with no rears? thx
The 9.1 utilizes up-firing drivers for Atmos playback.
In the living room my chairs are ~2ft from the back wall. I'll be mounting the rears at ear level or slightly above.

As far your seating be against the wall I obviously couldn't say definitively how it's going to sound but imo any rears are better than no rears.
Plus you have the ability to leave the rears on the soundbar itself.
To me it's a win-win.
Make sure to do the calibration process

post #28 of 34 Old 07-07-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
The 9.1 utilizes up-firing drivers for Atmos playback.
In the living room my chairs are ~2ft from the back wall. I'll be mounting the rears at ear level or slightly above.

As far your seating be against the wall I obviously couldn't say definitively how it's going to sound but imo any rears are better than no rears.
Plus you have the ability to leave the rears on the soundbar itself.
To me it's a win-win.
Make sure to do the calibration process
I am hoping you are right about having rears. My previous systems have always been AVR with 3.1 , so looking forward to it.

I was wondering, seeing as my TV (TCL 75 6 series ) only has ARC and not eARC (hopefully there will be a firmware update) and seeing as I only watch streaming services on it, will the rears still upward fire with no ATMOS content ? Say I am watching Disney + and it is 5.1, how does the JBL handle that? DO the rears do more than just upward firing?

I downloaded and read the manual; it does not go into any detail on how it handles different codecs.
thx
post #29 of 34 Old 07-07-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiclakez View Post
This is what I have:

Attaching/detaching is very easy since they are magnetic. Very secure.

Also, another option is to wall-mount the rear speakers, the package comes with all the accessories for that.
With Wall-mount, you just slide the speaker to the bracket and take it out later for charging with the main soundbar (or you can mount it always and charge via the micro USB option)
post #30 of 34 Old 07-07-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Sound is superb, I was watching Despicable Me 2 with my daughter the other day with volume level 17. In one of the explosion scenes, we could feel the vibrations and her reaction was " vow, I could feel it just like in a movie theatre"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page