Wireless soundbar and receiver integration - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-26-2020, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wireless soundbar and receiver integration

I have been out of the HT realm for some time so I don't understand the wireless options available today and how they work together. I'm installing a new TV and soundbar. I have rear wired speakers and a wired active subwoofer. I would like to use those with a new receiver so we could play stereo music on those speakers plus the sub and they would double as the rear speakers and sub for the 5.1 system with the sound bar.

The receiver would not be co-located near the TV/soundbar. Is there soundbar/receiver wireless integration that would allow for the soundbar to send the rear and sub channels to the receiver so it could play those channels over the wired speakers? I don't know if it possible with components compatible with DTS Play-Fi, or a proprietary system like Sonos or Denon Heos.

I hope what I'm asking makes sense. Basically, I currently own the rear wired speakers and a wired sub and want to utilize them for both music and HT which will include a soundbar for the front and center channels. I'm going to buy a new TV, soundbar and receiver.

One last question. How could I use a BD player in that set-up without connecting it directly to the TV and use the 5.1 sound? I don't know if I could connect it to the receiver and have the receiver send the front/center channel sound to the soundbar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-27-2020, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_Jake View Post
I have been out of the HT realm for some time so I don't understand the wireless options available today and how they work together.
Sadly, no one’s wireless options work together. Every manufacturer’s wireless options are proprietary and cannot be used with products from other manufacturers.

Quote:
The receiver would not be co-located near the TV/soundbar. Is there soundbar/receiver wireless integration that would allow for the soundbar to send the rear and sub channels to the receiver so it could play those channels over the wired speakers? I don't know if it possible with components compatible with DTS Play-Fi, or a proprietary system like Sonos or Denon Heos.
Basically, traditional soundbars and AVRs are two mutually exclusive “hubs” for an A/V system, and can’t be “mixed and matched” into a cohesive system. Soundabars are an all-in-one system comprised of pre-amp, amplifiers and speakers in a single enclosure. They typically don’t have outputs of any kind, except occasionally for an outboard subwoofer.

The only integration exception with a traditional soundbar I can think of would be a soundbar accepts L/C/R line-level inputs from a AVR. I doubt such a thing exists.

The reason I keep saying “traditional” is that there passive soundbars on the market which only contain speakers that could be connected to a AVR like any other speaker would. That’s your best option if you want an AVR with a soundbar.

Quote:
One last question. How could I use a BD player in that set-up without connecting it directly to the TV and use the 5.1 sound? I don't know if I could connect it to the receiver and have the receiver send the front/center channel sound to the soundbar.
With a passive soundbar, you essentially have a traditional HT system where you would connect the source components to the AVR. All you’d have to worry about in the system you’ve proposed is getting the video signal to the TV.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles

Last edited by Wayne A. Pflughaupt; 06-27-2020 at 04:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page