My Bloody Valentine 3D Blu-Ray Review - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 191 Old 07-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Newbie
 
SL9780's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwest36 View Post

pretty sure that your new glasses won't work on that red/blue 3D movie. If you check the fine print it'll probably mention something about "no 3D tv required."

Thanks, I didn't realize that there were two 3D versions. Told you I was a newbie...LOL

Michael
SL9780 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 191 Old 08-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Member
 
rajeshg24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got this movie from the blockbuster used blu ray sale. The cover says it is the 3d version and I tried to watch it on my samsung setup, no 3d there even if i select 3d in the disc menu.

After reading the posts I realized that this disc retails for over 30 and there is no way I could have got it for $4. Anyways, was just wondering what then does the 3d on this disc mean, how is it supposed to be viewed? if i select the 3d version, what shows on screen could not be viewed with or without glasses? is it for passive 3d then?
rajeshg24 is offline  
post #183 of 191 Old 08-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Senior Member
 
MentalDistortion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshg24 View Post

I got this movie from the blockbuster used blu ray sale. The cover says it is the 3d version and I tried to watch it on my samsung setup, no 3d there even if i select 3d in the disc menu.

After reading the posts I realized that this disc retails for over 30 and there is no way I could have got it for $4. Anyways, was just wondering what then does the 3d on this disc mean, how is it supposed to be viewed? if i select the 3d version, what shows on screen could not be viewed with or without glasses? is it for passive 3d then?

not sure but maybe its the anaglyph version.
MentalDistortion is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #184 of 191 Old 08-31-2011, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DenisG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 39
DenisG is offline  
post #185 of 191 Old 08-31-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrjktcvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The anaglyph version was out before they started making 3D players. I have that, which came with 4 pairs of glasses. I have no plans on picking up the 3D blu ray, thank you.
mrjktcvs is offline  
post #186 of 191 Old 02-18-2020, 08:34 AM
Member
 
jamisonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Is My Bloody Valentine 3D BD Defective?

I watched My Bloody Valentine 3D for the first time in years this weekend. I bought it from Amazon in 2012, and it worked fine then. I played it on my Oppo UDP-203 and it skipped on the DTS logo, then played fine until 55 minutes in. It then exhibited severe skipping for the rest of the film every few seconds. It was unwatchable. I would skip chapters and it would immediately skip on every chapter. I tried cleaning the disc and player, same deal. The disc appears free of scratches or smudges. I then tried it on a PS3 and PS4. Neither of those consoles would even load the disc. I contacted Lionsgate based on some posts of defective BDs from them manufactured around 2009 and they gave me a run around about updating firmware and clearing the cache. Does this sound like a defective disc?
jamisonia is offline  
post #187 of 191 Old 02-20-2020, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tomtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 3,350
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Probably a bad disc then. Mine played OK. Never skipped a beat. My heart did a couple times, with the jump scares, lol. And there are more than a few. I love the post credits ending. This movie was well done in 3D, with 1.85 A.R. works great. So many awesome pop-out effects.

This line intentionally left blank.
tomtastic is offline  
post #188 of 191 Old 02-20-2020, 11:19 AM
Member
 
jamisonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Probably a bad disc then. Mine played OK. Never skipped a beat. My heart did a couple times, with the jump scares, lol. And there are more than a few. I love the post credits ending. This movie was well done in 3D, with 1.85 A.R. works great. So many awesome pop-out effects.

Yeah I contacted Lionsgate and they told me they can't do anything because I opened the disc and played it once.
jamisonia is offline  
post #189 of 191 Old 02-21-2020, 02:37 AM
Member
 
PCummins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamisonia View Post
Yeah I contacted Lionsgate and they told me they can't do anything because I opened the disc and played it once.
I'm not sure that works from a customer perspective, if you say bought it just yesterday vs in 2012 how would you know it was faulty unless you tried to play it? (Edit: reading this perhaps it's meant as "it was originally playable").

You could try copying it using a PC Blu-Ray drive (mostly to see if all blocks can be read/copied while keeping encryption), it may be possible it is able to complete a copy as an ISO and then use commercial software (like PowerDVD) to play it back. (Not advocating piracy here, just whether the disc itself is faulty and/or struggling to read in a standalone player).

In Australia the ACCC provides certain rights that well extend outside the company's expected warranty terms (mostly "[products] are of acceptable quality - the goods must be safe, lasting, have no faults, look acceptable and do all the things someone would normally expect them to do") so may be worth checking your local rights to see if anything is applicable and if you wanted to push the point. (Case in point, LG got fined $160K in Australia for misleading statements about burn-in to customers for TV's well outside of warranty).
PCummins is online now  
post #190 of 191 Old 02-21-2020, 07:18 AM
Member
 
jamisonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I agree, and I'm going to try to push it further, unfortunately I'm in the US and there isn't much I can do besides be the squeaky wheel.



I have tried the disc on a PS3 and PS4 as well, and they couldn't even open the disc. I also did try to rip the disc to see if I could at least get that to work, and though my PC could read what the disc was, the ripping software struggled to open the disc, warned me there are several errors, and couldn't even start to rip the disc itself. So I'd say its pretty likely the disc itself is toast.
jamisonia is offline  
post #191 of 191 Old 02-21-2020, 09:12 PM
Member
 
PCummins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamisonia View Post
I agree, and I'm going to try to push it further, unfortunately I'm in the US and there isn't much I can do besides be the squeaky wheel.

I have tried the disc on a PS3 and PS4 as well, and they couldn't even open the disc. I also did try to rip the disc to see if I could at least get that to work, and though my PC could read what the disc was, the ripping software struggled to open the disc, warned me there are several errors, and couldn't even start to rip the disc itself. So I'd say its pretty likely the disc itself is toast.
That means the disc is not fit for purpose/free of defects if it can't last at least 10 years on a shelf (ie not in the sun, not abused, etc). I'd push for a refund or replacement, but you would need to know your rights locally. If you really wanted to push it something like Small Claims Court would make them think twice about providing a refund (or replacement).
PCummins is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 3D Content

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off